Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, it's sort of a prequel for the events you see the aftermath of, which is cool.

The spoilers are mostly in that it shows some of the places and creatures you would otherwise encounter on your own.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe spoilers so will tag it. Just talking about what Ive made and found.
Spoiler:
So far Ive made a knife, a advanced O2 tank, and repair tool and 2 storage boxes along with food and water. Took me a while to find cave sulfur for that repair tool. Turns out it was those explosive little shits home. I hate those things. Cant stop them and can only out swim them sometimes. I fixed the radio and something else in there..scanner maybe? Not sure what to do next.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well I may be out. The game is too intense for me, that's just the idiotic way I'm built. (Note, this is not a spoiler for 99.9% of game players).
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 am Well I may be out. The game is too intense for me, that's just the idiotic way I'm built. (Note, this is not a spoiler for 99.9% of game players).
No judgement here, I myself can't do creepy horror games, they just freak me out. You might want to consider trying the Creative mode (or whatever it's called) since you can build subs and bases and enjoy yourself without too much stress.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing with food and water. Does it become a big hassle? Something thats always coming up to annoy you? Im not far in I could switch if its more fun to play without it. Im seeing a little of that now as the food rots and the water is only from the certain fish and Im out there doing that every now and then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 am Im playing with food and water. Does it become a big hassle? Something thats always coming up to annoy you? Im not far in I could switch if its more fun to play without it. Im seeing a little of that now as the food rots and the water is only from the certain fish and Im out there doing that every now and then.
It's not really much of an inconvenience to got the route of having to gather food and water. I did it at night when it was too dark to do much else. I went for... (minor spoiler related to best fish for rations)
Spoiler:
Peepers and Bladderfish, since both are visible at night. Just be careful not to swim into any tubes or caves, and equip a flashlight when you can just so if you do get in trouble you can find your way out.
Also regarding food rotting... (minor culinary spoilers)
Spoiler:
Only cook fish you intend to each right away, leave the rest in storage, it won't rot while alive. You're going to end up having a lot of those floating storage boxes until you make a base with lockers.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Tao

Post by Tao »

Food and Water;
Spoiler:
Become somewhat inconsequential after a couple hours into the game
Spoiler:
You will eventually gain an rudimentary ability to farm and there are multiple sources of water beyond just bladder fish
Spoiler:
Look through some of your basic recipes and when next at the fabricator take a closer look at some of the cooking options
So I was progressing pretty well tonight and everything was starting to look up, and then it wasn't
Spoiler:
I was taking my new Seamoth out for a spin, cruising around the Mushroom forest near the front portion of the Aurora having some good luck finding various tech to scan. I was swimming out side my Seamoth at about 140 meters when I heard it....I immediately swam to the bottom and huddled under a mushroom tree, peering cautiously above me. Then BAM!! from out of the shadows a Reaper explodes in to view and immediately grabs my Seamoth in its giant mandibles. Oxygen's slowly bleeding away as I try and climb into the Mushroom tree I am pressed up against, the Reaper shakes my Seamoth a few times like a chew toy and then spits it out, as it swims back into the darkness. I am thinking, "Please have a few health left, please have a few health left" as I fumble for my repair tool, my Oxygen getting uncomfortably low now. I start swimming for the Seamoth and get about 30 meters away when KAPOW!! The Reaper reappears out of nowhere and once again grabs my Seamoth...and squeezes. My little ship just pops like an egg and I make a beeline for the surface, thinking, "Please don't see me, Please don't see me". I see blue sky and suck air just as my vision started to narrow and everything was fading to black. Back to the shallows and the slow build up of components to start building "The Indestructible II".
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Better food spoilers:
Fish:
Spoiler:
The real best fish in the game is the reginald, which is pretty much everywhere. As someone said, don't cook them until you're read to eat them, as they don't spoil when live. If you want to prepare them, cure them instead.
Later fish:
Spoiler:
Take two reginalds. Put them in an alien containment unit in your base. Wait. Infinite reginalds.
Farming:
Spoiler:
When you get a planter, also grab the plants that are nearby and plant them. The potato gives good food, while the melons are more balanced. Plant several in your base. If you pick up a melon, you get a melon. If you knife a melon, though, you get four seeds that will each grow a melon. So plant your melons in fours -
harvest three, hit one, and you have four melons growing again. The same trick works for mushrooms - farm them in fours.
Later farming:
Spoiler:
A large planter in my cyclops with melons and potatoes means I never have to look for food when I'm out.
Water:
Spoiler:
The bladder fish give you the weakest water. Instead, start grabbing all the salt you see on the sea floor (there's quite a bit in the areas adjacent to the safe shallows.) Whack a tube coral a few times (the big tubes you see everywhere.) One salt plus one coral = bleach. One bleach = 2x better water. Take ten minutes,
make about a dozen.
Water later on:
Spoiler:
Once you get a base built and find the fragments, you'll get a filtration machine that lets you produce the largest waters automatically, two at a time every few minutes, then stops until you remove the two. They take a crapload of power, though. I have two running, and could probably add one or two more, but I've also got five thermal plants and a nuclear reactor for power. My two give me enough water, though, that I've got it stockpiled. As a bonus, the plant also produces salt. When I'm at my base, I stop by my two machines every half hour or so, take the four water and four salt, grab four reginalds ('later fish' spoiler above) and cure them, then dump them all in a cabinet. I've got a huge stockpile of food and water - it is never really a concern anymore.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Big spoiler here, be warned. I just successfully scanned...
Spoiler:
The sea dragon leviathan
...and survived.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 am Well I may be out. The game is too intense for me, that's just the idiotic way I'm built. (Note, this is not a spoiler for 99.9% of game players).
I have issues with being on open water. In particular, deep water where I can't see the bottom. The ocean is great when I'm in a boat, but the thought of bobbing around in a life jacket scares the jeebus out of me. That said, this game creeps me out but I still enjoy it. Sometimes it's almost too much and running through areas where I know something that can kill me is lurking gives me the crawlies.

Things that might help:
Spoiler:
  • I spent the first couple nights in the game inside my life pod. No joke. I only went out in the daylight when I could easily see the ocean floor. I'd sometimes sit on the pod roof and watch the sky. Eventually I decided to just jump into the water at night and force myself to get used to it.
  • As I got used to the starting terrain, I got more comfortable with exploring it - day and night. I started small and worked out.
  • Each new area required an acclimation period to discover what the threats were and what I should expect.
  • I never got used to swimming through kelp and being unable to see what was around me, or swimming in open water where the bottom couldn't be seen, but I did find it exhilarating. I just had to continually remind myself that it was just a game.
  • Inevitably something would jump me and I'd throw my mouse across my desk. That's okay.
  • Getting the Seamoth built changed the game. For some reason, sitting in a minisub gave me all the feeling of security I needed to traverse most areas with only a little cringe. This takes a long time, though.
  • I build a lot of one-off micro-bases and bouy markers so I always feel like I'm not too far from "home" - even if "home" is a single unpowered tube with no air on a single platform with a single door and a single locker. It's not out in open water, and nothing can attack me in there.
  • Flashlights help, doubly so once you can recharge batteries.
  • I'm never really comfortable when I'm outside my minisub, suit, or sub. Often I search to make sure the coast is clear, eject, race to collect whatever I'm collecting, and race back to safety.
  • I eventually learned to get okay with it enough to start exploring the deep-deep depths, where no light penetrates. I hug walls and floors, but I still explore.
  • If I have to cross wide expanses of ocean and going to the sea floor isn't feasible, I ride my minisub like a jetski, jumping out of the water briefly, then splashing back down where I'm pulled under, then I jump out of the water again. I spend the whole time going "Ohshitohshitohshitohshit" in my head but have never been attacked while doing this.
  • Getting the bigger sub gave me a sense of having a mobile home, and only the biggest, deepest, darkest places were daunting.
  • I will never, ever play this in VR mode.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The problem is that I had a flashback moment playing the game and it was really painful. I played Bioshock which was horror underwater and loved it. I think I will try creative, thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Just tried it, yes this is what I want!!
Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 am
I have issues with being on open water. In particular, deep water where I can't see the bottom. The ocean is great when I'm in a boat, but the thought of bobbing around in a life jacket scares the jeebus out of me. That said, this game creeps me out but I still enjoy it. Sometimes it's almost too much and running through areas where I know something that can kill me is lurking gives me the crawlies.

Things that might help:
It is far and away the most amazing thing I have seen so far in my Rift. Elite Dangerous is 2nd but it's not even a close second.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Cortilian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am

Things that might help:
It is far and away the most amazing thing I have seen so far in my Rift. Elite Dangerous is 2nd but it's not even a close second.
How smooth is the VR experience in the game? I go scuba diving a few times per year and this sounds like a lot of fun.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have issues with being on open water. In particular, deep water where I can't see the bottom.
I love water. Ive swam in the middle of lakes, been out fishing in the gulf and ocean so far theres no land in sight, and been across bridges that were skyskraper high over long straights of water. But that said I do not like water at night. Something different. I do not like being in water at night and beside it gives me a weird feeling...even a pool if its not lit. If it's lighted I can swim in a pool at night.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
Doing well. Noticed my handhelds need power and so does the lifepod it seems . Found 8 - 10 copper i na cave. pretty good for not having a scanner for it and all in one cave. Hope it grows back lol. Made 8 batteries. Then noticed the lifepod seems to use power cells I think and I have no blueprint for silicone rubber so will need to look online for what to use.

Got about 6 little lockers floating around. Starting to look back around the pod.

Found the other pod and got a compass. It says its supposed to show my direction on the HUD but I see nothing and its not in my item pack to actually use. So no idea.
EDIT
Spoiler:
Maybe its not silicone rubber. I can make that. Weird.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:01 pm
Spoiler:
Found the other pod and got a compass. It says its supposed to show my direction on the HUD but I see nothing and its not in my item pack to actually use. So no idea.

In response to above question regarding compass...
Spoiler:
You only got the blueprint. You have to build and equip the compass.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How are you folks doing your mapping? By memory, scratch paper, graph paper? I started putting the beacons on points of interest and labeling them as such, but I realized that wasn't going to be very efficient. I'm now toying with the idea of laying them out in a grid pattern, like those used by archeologists, and then recording on paper the bearings of a point of interest from two or more beacons.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 pm How are you folks doing your mapping? By memory, scratch paper, graph paper? I started putting the beacons on points of interest and labeling them as such, but I realized that wasn't going to be very efficient. I'm now toying with the idea of laying them out in a grid pattern, like those used by archeologists, and then recording on paper the bearings of a point of interest from two or more beacons.
Same way I do in real life. Wander around until I see something I recognize. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dae - they do not grow back. Only fish and some plants respawn. There is enough copper out there for several full bases, though. The idea is that once you consume the stuff in the shallows, you have to move on.

For mapping? I use beacons and memory. I don't need to remember every nook and cranny, just landmarks, entrances, and bases. I keep almost all of them turned off except the ones I want to go to. They're cheap to make, so I'm pretty free with them. If you want to map it yourself, consider this (super minor spoiler - gives the location of the two above-water featues.) Download via the 'full resolution' link at the bottom, print, and go.

Note that you can get your current coordinates with the F1 key. For whatever reason it is X, Z, Y with Z being depth.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 am If you want to map it yourself, consider this (super minor spoiler - gives the location of the two above-water featues.) Download via the 'full resolution' link at the bottom, print, and go.

Note that you can get your current coordinates with the F1 key. For whatever reason it is X, Z, Y with Z being depth.
The map is something I've seen before but couldn't remember where. That thing about F1, gee, I wish I had found out about that about 49 hours ago :D

UPDATE: It also occurred to me that rather than trying to print out the map, I can just use Paint to mark it up electronically. First thing I found out... (very minor spoiler)
Spoiler:
Hey, my pod is NOT at 0,0,0! So I wanted to put a beacon there at 0,0,0 and it turns out to be full of stalkers. Ouch!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The pod can start in a number of places in the safe shallows.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

thanks jz about that item. From its graphical look it looked like the item lol.

BH lol ok.

And Im using my memory right now. I go up and look at the crashed ship and my pod then go the way I need to.

Ive been scanning all I can. The little fish are tough the way they dart. At least it doesn't take long on them. The one named after a certain Russian game took longer and it bit me :) The forest one.

I can make a trash can now. Thinking maybe I should build one because the area around my pod is looking like a dump.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can I put interior things in my pod or only a habitat?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure. The pod is only intended to be your home for the first couple of hours. It's there to get you on your feet and get you started.

And the only things I've ever, ever used the trash can for are a few seeds that were duplicates. Almost everything has a use.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Okay, I seem to have hit a wall and am quickly losing steam on this.
Spoiler:
I've got a seamoth, a small base with a scanner room, and plans for the exo suit thing. I just now remembered that I got told there's a seamoth depth module in the big ship that I apparently missed, so I guess I'll go back to try and find that. Even once I find that, I have no idea where to find the bits to get the modification station blueprints. Once I manage to find those, I'm honestly not sure where to go or what to do after that.

I know, I know "wander until you find something interesting." My problem is that I absolutely never remember when I do find something interesting, and frankly, I haven't found that much interesting? I think I found an entrance to a few deep caves with glowing mushroom things inside and some snake that attacked, but they were too deep to do any exploring in. I guess go into those?

The lack of a map is really killing me. I don't do well without at least a vague "I haven't been there, let me go to THAT point and see what's up." No map means I can't do that, and the limited visibility means I can't even see something off in the distance and say "oh, I'll go to that thing." It also sucks that finding fragments is such a pain. I'm basically limited to just swimming over the ocean floor hoping to see something, then finding out it's something I already have. Without some kind of scanner to give me a wider search field, it's already incredibly tedious.

I dunno, I guess I should've figured this would happen, since I never seem to do well without some kind of breadcrumb trail to follow, and this type of game always refuses to give you those. But I've been liking it so far, and I'm just really hoping I'm missing something that'll get me back to enjoying it. So what the heck am I missing?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My main suggestion would be to get a few Beacons made, that helped me get some of that breadcrumb thing going. Just having those waypoints on my screen helped me triangulate an understanding of my place on the map.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Chaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am Okay, I seem to have hit a wall and am quickly losing steam on this.
Yeah, you hit on the overarching imperative of Subnautica... when in doubt: explore. That thing you may not even know you need is just over that next hill. But that said, if you feel like you're getting stuck, there's no shame in checking out some of the maps online to give you a vague idea of the way the map is setup and which directions you should avoid going in.

If you don't mind some spoilers, here's my specific advice based on where you are in the story:
Spoiler:
So the caves you found are the Jelly Shroom Caves and there's some important things to find down there. You can explore it in a seamoth if you are careful, but best to explore it with the prawn suit... the crabsnakes are easy to fight off with a prawn suit and they are the only real danger down there.

The main thing you are probably missing for the prawn suit are aerogel made from gel sacks, and the best place to find those is the Grand Reef SW of the life pod. Best to find that depth mod for the seamoth and take it down there to find some gel sacks. The Grand Reef isn't too dangerous until you get down to the bottom, and you shouldn't need to go that far to get gel sacks. I think anything else you might need for the prawn suit can also be found down there.

Re: Getting fragments. If you want to find a lot of fragments, don't waste time searching for the tiny crates scattered around... all the things you need and all the best things are in the large wrecks scattered around the map. Each area has a few wrecks, and if you scour the map enough you can find them pretty easily.

If you want some extra guidance, here's a detailed map that should help guide you:
http://indiefaq.com/uploads/posts/2017- ... 25_map.jpg

If you run into a wall, I don't think it's cheating at all to at least find out what direction you need to head in to get the resources you need. Even knowing where to go it can be a challenge sometimes.
Happy to answer any other questions you have.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am My main suggestion would be to get a few Beacons made, that helped me get some of that breadcrumb thing going. Just having those waypoints on my screen helped me triangulate an understanding of my place on the map.
My process as well.

I tried to always have a couple with me so I could toss them on anything interesting, too. I often found myself gravitating back to the same places I had been over and over and had to push myself to go in different directions with deliberate intent.

The ocean is vast and multi-layered. A map works for the first layer, but might get confusing as you start getting under that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 pm I often found myself gravitating back to the same places I had been over and over and had to push myself to go in different directions with deliberate intent.
I had the same problem... for what ever reason, I'd promise to investigate the NW, but then just end up West - again. The Beacons help keep you honest with yourself as to if you are really hitting the whole map.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Chaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am Okay, I seem to have hit a wall and am quickly losing steam on this.
Regarding your comment on mapping, I found the suggestion made by Blackhawk worthwhile:
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:01 am If you want to map it yourself, consider this (super minor spoiler - gives the location of the two above-water featues.) Download via the 'full resolution' link at the bottom, print, and go.

And as I mentioned above, rather than printing out the map, you can just alt-tab out of the game and use Paint (aka MS Paint) to edit the map electronically.

Also, if you really are just stuck stuck, trying this Steam Guide, Just Crash Landed, What Do I Do?. Just read down as far as you feel you need to, the author is pretty careful to avoid story spoilers but you might want to figure out some of the things on your own. Honestly, that guide got me motivated to give the game another try after getting frustrated trying to get into the Aurora.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Thanks, all. I went back and got
Spoiler:
the depth mod for the Seamoth out of the Aurora, so that's definitely helpful. Looked at that Steam post, and of course, I also missed the storage mod somewhere, and I still haven't found the plans for the reinforced dive suit.

With my new depth mod, I was out poking around some new spots. Since I was a good distance away, I figured I'd maybe set up a new base. Then I noticed the reaper hanging out nearby and decided that was a bad idea.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Chaz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:24 pm
Spoiler:
With my new depth mod, I was out poking around some new spots. Since I was a good distance away, I figured I'd maybe set up a new base. Then I noticed the reaper hanging out nearby and decided that was a bad idea.
Spoiler:
Yeah, it's best to just avoid the reaper areas at the stage you're at. Don't let them freak you out too much though... first, in a seamoth you can outrun them, and second they can't do enough damage to destroy you in one go if your seamoth is at full health. If you hear them roar, or see one in the distance, just get away and you should be fine.

In general they are found to the far NW, W, NE, and on the north/south/east side of the Aurora crashzone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here's some input on things that advance the game. Any spoilers are going to be limited to the names of certain things or in tags.

1. Curiosity. Wander, look, notice.
2. Limits. When you start to hit a limit, there is a technology you are missing. 100 meters dive depth? There's a technology for that. 200 meter limit on the Seamoth? There's a tech for that. They are just being missed.
3. The radio. There's a radio in your pod, or you can build one in your base. If the radio is blinking, you have a message. This will usually give you coordinates to check something out. This is pushing you in the right direction - look around on your way to the location, look around the area you are sent to.
4. Build stuff. Some radio signals are triggered by building a certain thing in your base (indicating to the game that you have reached a certain point and are ready for the next step.) For example:
Spoiler:
Building a bioreactor triggers a signal that starts an event that leads to a really interesting location.
How to find the most important blueprints:
1. Fragments. Point your scanner at everything lying on the sea bed that doesn't look natural or is in a wreck. If the cursor changes, scan it.
2. Scan everything else. If it is an object, a plant, a rock, a fish, whatever, scan it.
3. Sample things. Pick up fish. Knife plants. Some blueprints come from having stuff in your inventory.
4. Data boxes. They look like squished chests and give you a complete blueprint.

Where to find 1 and 4, above:
1. Fragments can be found anywhere, and some are fairly common in certain areas. Once you hit the wall that Chaz has, look for bits on the sea floor in the grassy plateaus and in the mushroom forest. You'll find the plateau right alongside the Aurora, and you'll find the mushroom forest right next to that (it isn't in a cave - the pink mushroooms in the cave were something else.)

2. Both fragments and data boxes will be more tightly concentrated around wrecks. Those are spots where large chunks of the Aurora landed. What I recommend is to explore during daylight so you can see, travel high, and look down. If you see anything that looks like a section of hull or wreckage, you want to explore it. Tips on exploring below in spoiler tags:
Spoiler:
~Take your seamoth close and use it to replenish your air rather than swimming to the surface.
~If it is deeper than your seamoth, bring a mini-base kit:
6 titanium
3 quartz
1 copper
This will build you a single straight section, a hatch, and a solar panel to provide oxygen. Bring it with you, set it up near the wreck, then tear it down and bring it with you when you leave.
~Bring your laser cutter, flashlight, and seaglide, but keep inventory space for goodies.
3. You can also frequently find data boxes with vital blueprints in crashed pods. The radio beacons will send you to many of these.

Now, some bonus tips.

Time capsules:
Spoiler:
These are left by other players, and can be left exactly once per game, upon finishing it. They are moderated and seeded into other peoples' games. They look like a canister on the sea floor, and contain a single image, a brief bit of text,
and can include a few items given by the player in question as a gift. I've found two. One had a knife and some water - eh. The other had an ion battery and an ion power cell, which was absolutely amazing.
Tablets and ion cubes.

Non-spoiler: keep these.

Mild spoiler:
Spoiler:
Bring at least one tablet of each color and an ion cube with you when exploring any alien facility, and take any ion cubes you find. The cubes are both keys and super-rare, super-valuable crafting components.
Very specific spoilers for the vehicle upgrade console:
Spoiler:
You will find them in wrecks in the grassy plateaus, mushroom forest, or sparse reef.
Very specific spoilers for the modification station:
Spoiler:

Wrecks in the bulb zone, dunes, mountains, blood kelp trench, or grand reef.
Second spoiler on the mod station.
Spoiler:
I'd recommend the blood kelp or grand reef. They're deep, but safer than the others.
Some commentary. This game is designed around the idea of a lot a blind exploration, and gives you very little direction. If you aren't having fun, give yourself a spoiler and look up where to find an item on the wiki. It is only a spoiler in that it gives you a direction for your exploration.

I refer to zones by name. F1 shows you both map coordinates and zone names. For quick reference, the early zones are:

~Safe shallows - the pretty blue shallow area your escape pod was in. There are a couple of these.
~Kelp forest - tall kelp growths and stalkers.
~Grassy plateau - sand and red grass, sand sharks, reefbacks.
~Mushroom forest - really, really tall things that look like massive trees made out of shelf fungus. Cool glowing rays.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, one more tip, no spoilers.

As you deploy beacons and get radio signals, and as you run your scanner room, your interface will get really crowded. It can all be toggled.

Toggle beacons/signals/vehicles/pod by bringing up the PDA. It's one of the tabs. You can toggle individual icons, all icons, or change their colors.

Toggle scanner data by either turning off the scanner (click the big 'X' in the middle of the scanner room screen, which also saves energy) or by simply popping the chip out of its slot in your inventory. This is pretty vital if you're like me and have half a dozen scanner rooms in different parts of the world.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow, I had no idea that's how Time capsule's work... very cool. I've found 2 so far... one had some higher tier resources, but one had two ion batteries and a stasis rifle. I've been using that stasis rifle a lot, and it's still at 97% charge.

Only thing I'd add to wreck exploration is sometimes you might also need:
Spoiler:
A repair tool
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Good point. I think I have only had one wreck outside of the Aurora that required one, so I forgot about it.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Biyobi wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm
Cortilian wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am

Things that might help:
How smooth is the VR experience in the game? I go scuba diving a few times per year and this sounds like a lot of fun.
I also dive :)

The smoothness is OK. It is better than it was last summer when I last played in VR. I fired it up yesterday and got nauseous after about 15 mins. This doesn't happen in Elite or Star Trek or Project Cars. They do still have some frame rate issues. Not sure if they will ever fix them. To bad because the visuals are unreal
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Again, thanks for the input all. Between the Steam guide, the wiki, a map with the wrecks, and the coordinates, I found another few deeper wrecks that had some of the blueprints I was looking for. Now I've got some more material collecting to do, and a bunch of options about what to do as far as what to build and where to do it. Then I can get back to exploring some of those deeper spots in a more directed manner. Neat!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Late to this thread, but just going by the title I am going to guess that this game takes place on dry land.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

It does, but only in small amounts.