[PC] World of Warships

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Brian

Re: [PC] World of Warships

Post by Brian »

raydude wrote: Popping smoke and hitting the turbo button (increased speed) really helps to survive torpedo runs.

You'll want to manage your speed when you pop smoke. Go too fast and you'll outrun your smoke cloud allowing the enemy to briefly spot you before the next smoke cloud generates.
Along the way I also managed to reset the flag cap (I guess by going into the capture zone?)
You reset the flag cap by causing damage to the ship in the cap circle.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

FREE SHIP GUYS

Got mine. Not that great. Its slow, turns slow, and low range on guns. But it has more armor than a Chester.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

The best thing about the free ship is that it comes with a free dock space. So you can sell the Albany and put something better in the free space.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pretty much. All the ratings were sub-Chester.

I've made level 8. I'm really enjoying the destroyer path on the IJN side. I've got the first USN Battleship, and am not a fan. Too big, too slow, guns take forever to reload.

I'm moving into Tier IV for the USN Cruisers and IJN Destroyers, and am having fun.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im lvl 7 and am working my way to 8 so I can use camo on my ships. Eh the first US BB aint that bad...sure isn't as good as my old cruiser though. But I have to get one more BB before I can get my first CV which I want to try.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

It turns out it's not that easy to sink the Bismarck, even when you fire 27 torpedoes at me.

The Arkansas' main weakness is absolutely zero AAA, so I had to just sit and twist and hope with all the torpedo bombers. I think a couple torps may have taken some paint off on their way by.

It's a shame I had Shadowplay set up to only record on push-to-talk, because I was getting increasingly squeaky as the round went on. When I saw another flight of Torpedo bombers take off and I still had 7 seconds left to reload one turret and my secondaries were missing I may have got so high pitched that only dogs could hear me.

I'm very happy with the way the round turned out, if only to shut up that dude who kept typing nonsense in all caps.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Started playing this a few days ago and enjoying it more than I expected I would, although I've only had the courage to play coop so far.

I've at least gotten the mechanics and the basics down, but I still suck pretty badly at the tactics. My main ship is currently the Tier III Japanese cruiser... it's almost more of a hybrid destroyer, but I'm looking to upgrade to a battleship soon.

My biggest victory currently was last night... I manage to make a torpedo run on a battleship and score 6 hits sinking her.. right after she got a lucky broadside on me and took out my magazine. :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's so much fun to watch those torpedoes creep up on your killer.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: German Fleet Spotted

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
....... <snip> ........... we can now confirm that we're aiming at an October release for a few of the German ships.

Most famously, Bismark and her sister ship Tirpitz will be joining the roster at tier VIII. Furthermore, we're finalizing details for the full German cruiser line. Gamescom attendees are getting an opportunity to play with these two ships as well as Hermelin and Dresden. Expect to see more coverage of these ships in the coming days.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

German and British ships are probably the ones I look forward to most. Not sure if I'll still be playing the game by the time they come out, but who wouldn't want to drive around their own Bismark or Graf Spee?

I finally got my first battleship the other night and have played a few battles with her now. I wasn't sure I'd like the slower pace of play, but, except for the white knuckled wait for the main guns to reload, it's kind of fun to hang back and carefully plan out where best to send your next broadside. It's also nice having some guns that can actually do some damage to other ships, even if the ship I have doesn't exactly have the largest.
KDH

Post by KDH »

I'm intrigued with the Carriers .. from the outside looking in, it seems that torpedo bombers would be easy money, since most folk get wrapped up in their binocular views and watching whether their salvos land on target. Destroyers and smaller Cruisers have minimal Ack-Ack.... but, I'll have to go through two battleships on the tech tree to get there .... It would really be cool if you could use the training room to test drive a ship you don't have, so I could check out all that plane stuff

:grund: currently my ISP is acting up and drops me out of most of the games I enter .. even if it comes back immediately, the load times for the game session alone insures my ship is a fish habitat by the time I get back ... leveling has been slow for me
DD*

Post by DD* »

The South Carolina is turning into a serious grind. Soooooo ssssssllllllloooooowwwww in everything it does, and the guns don't have that overpowering boom that a BB should. Hopefully it will get better down the line - DD's and cruisers should fear BBs, now they are just target practice, IME.

I think torps are overpowered as well - some balancing needs done there.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

DD* wrote:The South Carolina is turning into a serious grind
Someone with a more appropriate World of Warships name than my own!

The BBs are a real mixed bag that you'll either enjoy, or you won't and the low tier can be really painful. If you want to feel powerful in the South Carolina, then go play the tier III IJN battleship, the Kawachi. Un-upgraded it has main battery range of just over 8km, meaning it's a big fat target that even Destroyers can shoot at from a range where the Kawachi can't answer back. The Myogi that follows the Kawachi is also painful, because it only has three turrets and two of them are at the back. It's not until you get to the Kongo at tier V that you have anything worthwhile.

Meanwhile, for the US, the upgraded tier IV Wyoming is a solid ship. The range isn't great, but you're heavily armoured, have a bit of AAA and a lot of guns. I won't park an IJN BB Captain until the Kongo at the earliest, but I still happily play both the Wyoming and the Arkansas, (which is a Wyoming with no AAA), every day.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Really hating life with the SC right now... it does nothing well.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

It's partially a factor of improved range, but the Carolina has about the best accuracy of the low tier battleships. My main battery accuracy in the Carolina was a magnificent 31%. Every other BB I have is at about 24%.
Brian

Post by Brian »

DD* wrote:I think torps are overpowered as well - some balancing needs done there.
:)

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm not doing too bad in my Kawachi so far... according to the stats my hit rate is 32%.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Brian wrote:
DD* wrote:I think torps are overpowered as well - some balancing needs done there.
:)
I read that gif in a Russian accent.

"Another BB player wants nerf torpedoes."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The last guy was AFK, but still.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What kind of ship were you using?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isokaze.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

That line from Umikaze - Wakatake - Isokaze - Minekaze is great. Then you get the "Much Sucky" and it all goes off the rails.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Well, I'm seeing some success in my Carolina now. Think I've figured it out a bit - I was kind of playing it like a heavy tank on WoT, and you can't really do that. If I hang back and let the CLs distract the other guys, I can pound them from medium range. Working out pretty well so far.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

DD* wrote:Well, I'm seeing some success in my Carolina now. Think I've figured it out a bit - I was kind of playing it like a heavy tank on WoT, and you can't really do that. If I hang back and let the CLs distract the other guys, I can pound them from medium range. Working out pretty well so far.
Yeah, that tends to be my tactic in a BB. Let the cruisers and destroyers scout out the enemy while I find a position that covers a lot of passages and I hang out there with my broadsides ready for the first poor cruiser that shows itself. :)
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I don't always get accused of cheating. But when I do, I'm always driving a Japanese Destroyer.

Got accused of using an "invisible hack" (umm, my torps go further than my spotting range), using an aimbot, (I hit you with torpedoes... they come with an aimbot), and my personal favourite, being one of the actual devs, with invulnerability switched on.

I had a Myogi down to 1,000 health and flooding when time ran out, or I'd have had six kills.

Of course I still lost, because the rest of the team combined only sank four ships.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Showoff. :wink:
KDH

Post by KDH »

Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Isgrimnur wrote:Showoff. :wink:
:D I think it's almost the exact same numbers you posted!

My five kills were two Wyomings, a South Carolina, a Tenryu and a Clemson. I have no idea what the rest of my team were doing, but frequently I'll feel like I've had a good game, and then we'll lose anyway.

DD*

Post by DD* »

BTW, I'm Bill Lumbergh on all WG games - look me up!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My profile.

I look forward to continuing to get better with the Minekaze DD. Stupid planes spotting me and getting lit up by a 3-ship formation are not my idea of fun.

The Wyoming and the Kawachi are slow going on my desire to get to the carriers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still haven't even gotten a Wyoming..I just want a carrier.

I dont care for my South Carolina...shes slow, I have less guns and they take forever to reload and they dont feel anymore powerful than my kick ass St Louis.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You need a Wyoming. If you want a carrier, I recommend against the IJN side, as the range on the III Kawachi is horrible. Fully upgraded, my Minekaze torpedoes have a longer range than the Kawachi's guns.

For BB play, I'm certainly no expert, but you need to stay in a group, and figure out a way to not be everyone's target.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoke too soon ...got 1 match in...lost...and had enough to get the Wyoming. So another grind to the carrier now :)..Least i can fire back at all those ships out of range of my South Carolina that were hitting it. Can also do camo soon.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Isgrimnur wrote: If you want a carrier, I recommend against the IJN side, as the range on the III Kawachi is horrible. Fully upgraded, my Minekaze torpedoes have a longer range than the Kawachi's guns.

For BB play, I'm certainly no expert, but you need to stay in a group, and figure out a way to not be everyone's target.
As someone who has been working towards a carrier, I can confirm, the Kawachi is terrible. You are big, slow and your guns suck at range. If you can actually get in range to do a full broadside you tear stuff up but I could count the number of times that happened on one hand. Getting past that thing took forever.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1 battle in the Wyoming and I like it One salvo of AP took an enemy down past half. My first upgrade was the engines. I can now do 20 lol.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Russian ship. Best ship.

Then something like this happens and you want to murder your entire team.

I got half the team. You other nine boats couldn't get the other half for us?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was running my Minekaze yesterday, and I managed 3 kills plus a TK on my 10k-range torpedoes. Severely hurt a 4th and got my High Caliber award.

Spent some general XP to get to the Langley. I've gotten a fair number of air kills with my fighters, mainly bouncing other fighter groups. The torpedo planes haven't been nearly as effective.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I want a Langley CV more than anything. How would I make the best exp with what I have or can get? I have a Wyoming and what came before and I could ge ta Wicks DD or/and a Phoenix CA....which would be best at making exp..i can convert free exp. The Wyoming seems sloooooow to make exp with. but I hate DD and do badly in them so maybe that Wicks is out too. Should I just get the Phoenix?
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Daehawk wrote:I want a Langley CV more than anything.
You really don't.
Daehawk wrote:How would I make the best exp with what I have or can get? I have a Wyoming and what came before and I could ge ta Wicks DD or/and a Phoenix CA....which would be best at making exp..i can convert free exp. The Wyoming seems sloooooow to make exp with. but I hate DD and do badly in them so maybe that Wicks is out too. Should I just get the Phoenix?
The fastest way to get exp is always to pay dubloons to convert spare ship XP to free xp that you can then spend unlocking whatever you want. This is what I did when I went for the Langley. Not to unlock it, but so that I didn't have to use the stock version. I used free XP to unlock all the upgrades on it.

If you want to earn lots of XP to then pay to pay to convert to free XP, then buy the Phoenix. Not to use it, but because then your St. Louis will be an elite ship, which means you can use its million guns to earn lots of XP you don't need to use, that you can then pay to convert, plus a dribble more in free XP.

The second fastest way to unlock a boat is always to use the boat before it on the tech tree, which in this case is the Wyoming. I like the Wyoming and the Wyoming-without-AA, (Arkansas), but BB play can be frustrating when you're trying to sprint to the next ship up the line, because BB are literally hit and miss.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I recently got the Langley. I've had decent success in using the fighters to bounce other fighter and torpedo groups, but I have a whopping two torpedo hits. Even a cruiser can dodge them if they're paying attention.

Looking at my totals, I've played 5 missions in the Langley. I have 50 kills, with one mission being 19. I'm earning about as much experience with it as the Kawachi, which suuuuucks. A BB with <9km gun range? At least my 10k torpedo range on the Minekaze makes up for it.