dbemont

Re: Pillars of Eternity Hints, Tips, Spoilers

Post by dbemont »

Thank you all! That is very helpful.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
RMC

Post by RMC »

Is there any reason to go into the temple that is destroyed in Gilded Vale? Did I miss a quest?

I made it to Act 2, or at least completed Act I, and never was given a quest or any reason to enter that area..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

RMC wrote:Is there any reason to go into the temple that is destroyed in Gilded Vale? Did I miss a quest?
You go in because you're an adventurer and that's what adventurers do, dammit!

But yes, there is a quest giver inside and going through it will give you some XP and loot. You'd be able to breeze through there now though, so not sure how much gain you'll see at your level. I believe I finished it with a party of 2 Level 2 characters.
RMC

Post by RMC »

YellowKing wrote:
RMC wrote:Is there any reason to go into the temple that is destroyed in Gilded Vale? Did I miss a quest?

But yes, there is a quest giver inside and going through it will give you some XP and loot. You'd be able to breeze through there now though, so not sure how much gain you'll see at your level. I believe I finished it with a party of 2 Level 2 characters.
Ahh.. Well I am close to a restart anyway. I picked a Paladin for my main character, but I think I might switch to one of the other classes. I was hoping for the patch first and then switching. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

RMC wrote:
YellowKing wrote:

Ahh.. Well I am close to a restart anyway. I picked a Paladin for my main character, but I think I might switch to one of the other classes. I was hoping for the patch first and then switching. :)
If you like this sort of thing, I have started a monk as my main, and he is a beast. There wasn't a really decent starting story for a monk other than scholar, so I chose the mercenary background. I am playing him as a barroom brawler that just likes to punch things. He wears full scale armor and his interrupt keeps the opponent from actually fighting back.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
RMC

Post by RMC »

Hyena wrote:
RMC wrote:
YellowKing wrote:

If you like this sort of thing, I have started a monk as my main, and he is a beast. There wasn't a really decent starting story for a monk other than scholar, so I chose the mercenary background. I am playing him as a barroom brawler that just likes to punch things. He wears full scale armor and his interrupt keeps the opponent from actually fighting back.
So the 45% (I think it's that high) for the armor refresh is not that bad for a Monk?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll have to check my Monk, but I think I started with Rauatai/Slave option for the bonus to my Constitution and Athletic skill. I think I'm wearing Armor at a level slightly above simple clothing but I didn't think the added protection of heavier was worth the hit to attack speed as that's the only thing I have going for me right now at level 4. That might change, but I do think there's a balance you have to figure out where adding more protection isn't as valuable as being able to hit the enemy so fast that they're unable to respond. If that works with Scale armor at some point, then that's the goal. I
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RMC

Post by RMC »

My main issue with spells is keeping my F'n characters from walking out of or into an effect.

IE - Wizard is going to cast fan of flames. When I put the template in place everything is fine, and no one is moving. But by the time he casts it, someone, usually my cleric walks into the 'red' portion of the template, and bam he goes down to almost knocked out.

So I end up not using many of the nasty template spells, as I simply can not ensure especially in small rooms that one of my other characters will not walk into the line of effect.

The worst part is, that it is expensive, but fairly easy to get a ton of great spells into your mages spell book, and with the ability to switch out books in combat, you can save money at the expense of some speed.

<shrug>
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I usually wait until a bit into a fight for the battle lines to settle a bit before I go with the AOE spells and have pretty good luck. Even then I think one thing that would be really useful is to show an overlay of the spell range when you go to cast.

A lot of times I'll order my mage or cleric to cast a spell without double checking the range and I realize too late it's a point blank spell and my caster is already wasting time trying to get around the battle line and get close enough to cast.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Sepiche wrote:I usually wait until a bit into a fight for the battle lines to settle a bit before I go with the AOE spells and have pretty good luck. Even then I think one thing that would be really useful is to show an overlay of the spell range when you go to cast.

A lot of times I'll order my mage or cleric to cast a spell without double checking the range and I realize too late it's a point blank spell and my caster is already wasting time trying to get around the battle line and get close enough to cast.
Yeah, that's why my cleric is always walking into some template spell, because of his range to cast the spell. :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Some tactical thoughts:

1) Agreed about difficulty of managing templated spells, especially ones where the caster needs to position himself close to the enemy. I usually try to start off a big fight with a rolling fireball or lightning bolt to get some initial damage, then hide the mage behind my fighters.

2) Use doorways to get the bad guys to pile up, then hit them with fireballs and other AOE.

3) Anticipate healing. Often, I'll have my cleric hold his action if I'm fighting guys that do a lot of damage rapidly. This way, I can get a powerful healing spell off quickly, rather than have to wait for the asshole to recharge.

4) Shades are awful because they will teleport behind the front line to beat up the squishies. I learned to hold my cleric in reserve and blast (one-shot, actually) any teleporting shades with the 2nd level fire spell. As you may learn from reading the cyclopedia's entry on shades, they're vulnerable to fire.

5) Ogres are vulnerable to corrosion damage and being knocked down on their ass.

6) Make liberal use of recovered traps and other consumables. Put the traps in the doorway, matching them up to enemy vulnerabilities.

7) The chanter NPC has a "summon skeletons" spell, which is incredibly useful to distract the bad guys or flank them. Early on, you also get some kind of horn which summons a suit of animated armor with a knockdown and a heal.
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

RMC wrote:
Hyena wrote: If you like this sort of thing, I have started a monk as my main, and he is a beast. There wasn't a really decent starting story for a monk other than scholar, so I chose the mercenary background. I am playing him as a barroom brawler that just likes to punch things. He wears full scale armor and his interrupt keeps the opponent from actually fighting back.
So the 45% (I think it's that high) for the armor refresh is not that bad for a Monk?
I'm running a Monk also. At level 4 I'm finding Hide armor (and beer) is decent with 18 dex to speed up my attacks. Scale armor sounds like it would be too much. Low might but lots of interrupts. I am worried about what will happen at higher levels when I can afford to enchant everyone else's weapons and the monk still has her fists.

I went for the laborer background to boast athletics and mechanics.
BCarle

Post by BCarle »

Hi, just started playing and started a Rogue who is suppose to be able to disable traps(says something like +3 disable traps)
But I can't figure out how

In the first cave (start of the game) there are a bunch of traps in the floor, I know I can get around them but
I was trying to figure out how to disarm them and I see no options to do so

Am I missing something?

thanks

bob
RMC

Post by RMC »

BCarle wrote:Hi, just started playing and started a Rogue who is suppose to be able to disable traps(says something like +3 disable traps)

In the first cave (start of the game) there are a bunch of traps in the floor, I know I can get around them but

Am I missing something?

thanks

bob
You are in scout mode, right?
BCarle

Post by BCarle »

RMC wrote:
BCarle wrote:Hi, just started playing and started a Rogue who is suppose to be able to disable traps(says something like +3 disable traps)

Am I missing something?

thanks

bob
You are in scout mode, right?
I think I tried both ways in and out of stealth (but I will check)

bob
Jag

Post by Jag »

The very first cave is part of the tutorial. I don't think a Rogue can fix that one. All other traps can be seen as "red" when in scouting mode. I've run into some higher level traps I can't disarm and get a message saying so.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote:The very first cave is part of the tutorial. I don't think a Rogue can fix that one. All other traps can be seen as "red" when in scouting mode. I've run into some higher level traps I can't disarm and get a message saying so.
My L1 rogue disarmed a path through the traps in the first cave. She couldn't get them all, but enough that it was passable without the non-rogue solution.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The rogue I hired is about level 7 now. In scout mode I see a red rectangle for traps that I can click on to disarm.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OMGWTFIT'SBROKEN update: from the official forums, the 1.03 patch is in QA and will be released by EoD tomorrow if no issues pop up in testing.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Madmarcus wrote:
RMC wrote:
Hyena wrote: If you like this sort of thing, I have started a monk as my main, and he is a beast. There wasn't a really decent starting story for a monk other than scholar, so I chose the mercenary background. I am playing him as a barroom brawler that just likes to punch things. He wears full scale armor and his interrupt keeps the opponent from actually fighting back.
I'm running a Monk also. At level 4 I'm finding Hide armor (and beer) is decent with 18 dex to speed up my attacks. Scale armor sounds like it would be too much. Low might but lots of interrupts. I am worried about what will happen at higher levels when I can afford to enchant everyone else's weapons and the monk still has her fists.

I went for the laborer background to boast athletics and mechanics.
Even taking in the -45% speed, with the +20% interrupt rate my monk is able to keep most people stunned or interrupted enough to where I'm getting off three, sometimes four attacks to their one. That scale significantly reduces several different types of damage, combined with a few rings and a cloak that add in multiple defenses. Add in my fighter as a secondary tank, the priest, wizard, and my hired rogue all hammering away with war bows from a distance, and I come out of most fights relatively unscathed. I don't really even use much magic unless I'm in trouble.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How do you sleep at your stronghold? I have barracks, and there are rooms upstairs. But I can't find an option for sleeping.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Repair the ruined area next to the keep. Barracks are in the keep, rooms for companions and your party are next door.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Zaxxon wrote:Repair the ruined area next to the keep. Barracks are in the keep, rooms for companions and your party are next door.
To be more specific, you need to click on the bed upstairs in the house to sleep. Kind of a pain with slow loading PCs, but not a big deal.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jag wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Repair the ruined area next to the keep. Barracks are in the keep, rooms for companions and your party are next door.
To be more specific, you need to click on the bed upstairs in the house to sleep. Kind of a pain with slow loading PCs, but not a big deal.
Which bed? There are bedrooms with excess party members in them, is that the right place?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. The bed that highlights in blue. West side of the floor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

A baby picture of my Aumaua chanter:

Enlarge Image

And now, him all growed up:

Enlarge Image
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

My God - what happened to his face????
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally got the Blade of the Endless Paths. It's good, but a bit underwhelming for all you must go through to get it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote:A baby picture of my Aumaua chanter:

Enlarge Image

And now, him all growed up:

Enlarge Image
Does the carpet match the drapes?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Go ahead and ask him.
ericb

Post by ericb »

When you start you can easily get the first four party characters before doing any of the quests. I believe I had all four before I hit lvl 3.
Spoiler:
The mage in the first town, then the fighter after sleeping the first time, go over one zone and grab the priest and then hit your future stronghold for the chanter
Unless you're pulling an IWD style party and want to create your own there's no real downside to getting a full party asap...I believe they said it's about a 15% exp loss for having a full party of six. Life is much easier the first couple acts this way.

Quality of life tips: Get every character to athletics 2 (big diminishing returns after 2 points except for front line guys) and get mechanics on one character to 6 asap. I have read the max you need in any skill is 12.

I also noticed that interrupts are suddenly much more important after this latest patch. I even went back to an older save and tried a battle I finished and this time unless I interrupted the "boss style" named leader he wiped the floor with me.

They also fixed the summons not disappearing and not being attacked if the party is all unconscious bug. This did win one battle pre-patch for me but I felt kinda guilty and did it over :)

Money isn't a big deal, don't be afraid to spend it. Even with most stronghold upgrades and dropping about 30k on quests and buying items I still had 30k left at lvl 6-7. If anything it's going up now faster than I can spend it.

Spoiler for the Dyrford village blood legacy quest:
Spoiler:
A cypher, yourself or the mother party member, can save the girl at the end instead of the normal 2 endings. You can still get paid and finish the quest
You can still turn in side quests if you finished a part of the quest before you received it. Another spoiler for Dyrford below:
Spoiler:
For example you can still pick up and turn in the pig quest in Dyrford even if you've handled the ogre
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
tgb

Post by tgb »

YellowKing wrote:

I must really suck, because I've been working that temple for days with 3 lev. 3 characters (my starting monk and the mage and fighter you recruit in Gilded Vale). I've made it to what I think is the final room (3 or 4 baby Whatevers and some sort of Uber-Whatever waiting inside), and have gotten my clock cleaned on several attempts to clear it out. Right now I'm planning to tackle a couple of other quests and then come back to it with better gear and more experience.

Please tell me dungeons don't respawn.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They don't respawn. Grab some adventurers to fill out the party.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also, I recommend setting the autopause options to stop on every enemy death so you don't waste action cycles.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zaxxon wrote:Also, I recommend setting the autopause options to stop on every enemy death so you don't waste action cycles.
I've had it set like that. In fact, I think I have it set to pause for everything except party members getting hit.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

tgb wrote:
YellowKing wrote:

I must really suck, because I've been working that temple for days with 3 lev. 3 characters (my starting monk and the mage and fighter you recruit in Gilded Vale). I've made it to what I think is the final room (3 or 4 baby Whatevers and some sort of Uber-Whatever waiting inside), and have gotten my clock cleaned on several attempts to clear it out. Right now I'm planning to tackle a couple of other quests and then come back to it with better gear and more experience.

Please tell me dungeons don't respawn.
It may be worth just coming back to that temple. Spoiler about party members:
Spoiler:
almost as soon as you leave the town, you'll pick up another party. With him and (presumably) the mage and fighter you got in town, you should be able to take them down.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Good to know, thanks
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Just tell Eder to go for the eyes.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

tgb wrote:I must really suck, because I've been working that temple for days with 3 lev. 3 characters (my starting monk and the mage and fighter you recruit in Gilded Vale). I've made it to what I think is the final room (3 or 4 baby Whatevers and some sort of Uber-Whatever waiting inside), and have gotten my clock cleaned on several attempts to clear it out. Right now I'm planning to tackle a couple of other quests and then come back to it with better gear and more experience.
I'd recommend a full party for that. And definitely a priest for healing.
Last edited by Hamlet3145 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm toying with restarting anyway.