Pillars of Eternity Hints, Tips, Spoilers

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Pillars of Eternity Hints, Tips, Spoilers

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah tgb - even though I cleared it early, it was NOT easy. Multiple reloads and painstaking micro-management. However, I was being stubborn and wanted to clear it before moving elsewhere.

I've since learned to swallow my pride and leave if an area looks too difficult. So far I haven't run into any situation where I felt punished for running away to live to fight another day.
PLW

Post by PLW »

I cleared the temple with my rogue, Eder and the mage A.... . Be sure to use your buffs. Food.. potions, and what not. Hit them with a bouncing fireball to get things rolling. If you get a good bounce, you might end up getting them twice. Try to keep the king debuffed.
Last edited by PLW on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I went back and did the temple with a full party and it was not super easy, but not really hard. Some of the fights I had to micromanage and help everyone get through.

Question about stronghold stuff -
Spoiler:
So has anyone been going and fighting at their stronghold? Man, some of those combats are rough. I mean I had forest lurkers and Shades fighting in my main hall. I lost two guys to knockouts, and only won because I had two paladins in the party to heal themselves and give buffs to my other fighter. My chanter and mage both ended up KO'd. Just started the first level of the dungeon underneath the stronghold, and these fights are shaping up to be tough already, and just the first level. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

RMC wrote:Yeah, I went back and did the temple with a full party and it was not super easy, but not really hard. Some of the fights I had to micromanage and help everyone get through.

Question about stronghold stuff -
Spoiler:
So has anyone been going and fighting at their stronghold? Man, some of those combats are rough. I mean I had forest lurkers and Shades fighting in my main hall. I lost two guys to knockouts, and only won because I had two paladins in the party to heal themselves and give buffs to my other fighter. My chanter and mage both ended up KO'd. Just started the first level of the dungeon underneath the stronghold, and these fights are shaping up to be tough already, and just the first level. :)
In reference to your spoiler and keeping it general I had a wave of skeletons which was no problem for my party which was composed at that time of my cipher and the NPC fighter, cleric, wizard, ranger, and chanter. Everyone was at level 4. I think I cleared the first level by that time or was on my way to clearing the first level. Of course, that doesn't mean that more challenging nasties will be creeping out from my cellars in the future. No one mentioned that in the home inspection... :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Stronghold / Catacombs stuff:
Spoiler:
So on the first level there are two ways to go down to level 2. Which way did everyone pick? That sacrificial pit was kind of spooky, so while I used a grappling hook to climb down, I could not validate jumping into the blood filled pool at the bottom. Anyone do that?

Also, so I keep having issues with the Hirelings. One fight that I was there for, they helped but then turned on me at the end of the fight, so I had to kill the monsters and then my hirelings. In a different fight not all the hirelings were there for the fight. And they all died anyway, so I didn't have to pay them, but it costs more to hire them initially. <sigh> Just seems to be a little bugged at the moment.

And then the bounties, how tough are they? I am playing on hard and still doing stuff in the city, but talked to the bounty guy, and got three of four bounties, are they tough, or easy?
Enjoying the game, even with some of the warts that it has. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

So far, there appears to be some kind of bug with paying your hireling. Every time I hire one, he shows up as being "unpaid". How do I pay him? No idea. So I just dismissed mine and am waiting for a proper fix.

As for the catacombs, I went down all the way to level 5 "manually" (scoring some good loot and XP on the way down), but doing a little recon from the regular staircase revealed that I would be walking into an ambush with a flanking component to it. That's no good, so I went back upstairs and dropped in through the hole to land behind the jackasses and wipe them out. Anyway, you think those guys are tough, wait until you meet the Death Wardens. Sure, they look like regular skeletons with big shields but I hope you've got some extra burn damage resistance.

The bounties are super tough. I recommend being at least level 6-7 all around before trying to tackle them. Even with my level 8 guys, I had trouble with them.
Black Lives Matter
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

You can't do the last bounty until Act III can you?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, it seems like it's in some kind of inaccessible area currently.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

NickAragua wrote: The bounties are super tough. I recommend being at least level 6-7 all around before trying to tackle them. Even with my level 8 guys, I had trouble with them.
I fixed up the Warden cottage in my stronghold in order to get some bounties and make some "easy" money. After the first bounty wiped the grass with my level 4 party I decided to live and let live for a while. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Endless Paths level uh, 7 I believe? Maybe 8. WTF?
Spoiler:
There seems to be no point whatsoever in starting up the machines that take the prisms.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I must be doing something wrong as I'm finding the game pretty darn hard on normal. I tried to clear the temple in the middle of the first town with just my fighter and the wizard and that wasn't happening. So I went back and added thief to the mix and while it helped there are certain areas where I get totally swarmed. :( It's to the point that I shelved it for now as I just don't feel like figuring out what I'm doing wrong right now. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

cheeba wrote:Endless Paths level uh, 7 I believe? Maybe 8. WTF?
Spoiler:
There seems to be no point whatsoever in starting up the machines that take the prisms.
Yeah, I haven't been able to find anything that those do. However, you should take the time to take a lap around those rooms with "search mode" on. Just sayin'.
Octavious wrote:I must be doing something wrong as I'm finding the game pretty darn hard on normal. I tried to clear the temple in the middle of the first town with just my fighter and the wizard and that wasn't happening. So I went back and added thief to the mix and while it helped there are certain areas where I get totally swarmed. :( It's to the point that I shelved it for now as I just don't feel like figuring out what I'm doing wrong right now. :doh:
You really want a full party for that temple. The shades are the hardest part, because they a) swarm and b) teleport. You'll need a wizard with heavy duty fire magic to nail crowds, and a backup priest with that one-shot, single target 2nd level fire spell to quickly zap those shades that teleport past your fighter(s). The first town has a fighter and a wizard NPC that you can recruit, and there's a priest NPC at the crossroads in the next area outside of town. If you're really hurting for party members, you can also take a quick jog out to Caed Nua and pick up the chanter.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The forges
Spoiler:
remove the elementals at the exit to the next level down.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

There's a ranger on the road as well.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Although you have to get past Caed Nua to get to the ranger. Caed Nua also features large numbers of ghost type enemies. Go figure.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

NickAragua wrote:
cheeba wrote:Endless Paths level uh, 7 I believe? Maybe 8. WTF?
Spoiler:
Yeah, I haven't been able to find anything that those do. However, you should take the time to take a lap around those rooms with "search mode" on. Just sayin'.
Octavious wrote:I must be doing something wrong as I'm finding the game pretty darn hard on normal. I tried to clear the temple in the middle of the first town with just my fighter and the wizard and that wasn't happening. So I went back and added thief to the mix and while it helped there are certain areas where I get totally swarmed. :( It's to the point that I shelved it for now as I just don't feel like figuring out what I'm doing wrong right now. :doh:
You really want a full party for that temple. The shades are the hardest part, because they a) swarm and b) teleport. You'll need a wizard with heavy duty fire magic to nail crowds, and a backup priest with that one-shot, single target 2nd level fire spell to quickly zap those shades that teleport past your fighter(s). The first town has a fighter and a wizard NPC that you can recruit, and there's a priest NPC at the crossroads in the next area outside of town. If you're really hurting for party members, you can also take a quick jog out to Caed Nua and pick up the chanter.
Ah okay that makes me feel better. I was wondering if I had totally just lost my mind as I was just getting wiped over and over and I didn't want to make an entire party of custom people.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Hi,

A couple of questions I have (really enjoying the game so far), I'm playing a ranger/hunter (which might not be the most exciting char to play):

1. ALL damage is affected by MIGHT, correct? So, for my hunter, if I want to increase ranged damage output (per shot), I have to invest MIGHT and DEXTERITY would increase my speed, right? Same should be true for casters, I assume?

2. Related to first question re MIGHT and DEXTERITY - Since I'm not a RPG pro, I'm always having trouble understanding how damage output is calculated: for my hunter, I have a FAST bow with slightly slower base damage and an AVERAGE speed crossbow with higher base damage. I think I understand that faster can be good for interrupt, too, but if I'm only looking for pure dps, how to I know which of my ranged weapons performs better?

3. The priest NPC just joined my party and I have a questions re him and the wizard NPC that joined my party a while ago: naturally, I want to keep them out of harm's way and since spellcasting is "expensive" due to the # of spell per rest, the other weapons of my casters become important and so I prefer to have them use ranged weapons. Both come with a rod/scepter but I could also use "normal" ranged weapons. If any of these magic weapons do NOT come with special bonus for this character, is there any reason NOT to simply pick ranged weapon with highest dps?

Thanks a lot!

Chuck
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ChuckB wrote:1. ALL damage is affected by MIGHT, correct? So, for my hunter, if I want to increase ranged damage output (per shot), I have to invest MIGHT and DEXTERITY would increase my speed, right? Same should be true for casters, I assume?
Yes, and healing is also impacted by Might. However, your might/dex are set at character creation. On leveling, you change other stats--athletics, etc. Your base stats are your base stats and are static, aside from improvements from gear.
2. Related to first question re MIGHT and DEXTERITY - Since I'm not a RPG pro, I'm always having trouble understanding how damage output is calculated: for my hunter, I have a FAST bow with slightly slower base damage and an AVERAGE speed crossbow with higher base damage. I think I understand that faster can be good for interrupt, too, but if I'm only looking for pure dps, how to I know which of my ranged weapons performs better?
All weapon speeds can interrupt. Faster ones tend to interrupt for shorter periods (but can do so more often). In other words, a dagger may interrupt for .35 seconds, while an arquebus may interrupt for .75 seconds. But the dagger may interrupt twice for every 1 time the arquebus does so. Obsidian really tried to make min/maxing unnecessary--pick the weapon type you like the best and don't fret over the details is my advice. You're better off making sure you're taking the damage type(s) of your weaponry, and the strengths/weaknesses of your enemies into account IMO.
3. The priest NPC just joined my party and I have a questions re him and the wizard NPC that joined my party a while ago: naturally, I want to keep them out of harm's way and since spellcasting is "expensive" due to the # of spell per rest, the other weapons of my casters become important and so I prefer to have them use ranged weapons. Both come with a rod/scepter but I could also use "normal" ranged weapons. If any of these magic weapons do NOT come with special bonus for this character, is there any reason NOT to simply pick ranged weapon with highest dps?
You may want to keep an implement (rod/scepter/etc) in one of their slots for special spells that target that type, but otherwise, no. I've found that in PoE you will generally want to fill all available weapon slots so that you can quickly change damage types to adapt to various enemy strengths/weaknesses. How you fill those slots is very flexible.

I hope that helps.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I also obsessed in finishing the temple since it was in one of the early zones. What I came to realize is that the exp return for killing mobs is minimal compared to doing quests. So I eventually just did every quest I could find and out-leveled the bastards.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's very tempting to try to clear that temple early since it's in the first town you come to, so it must be easy, right? RIGHT?

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The devs mentioned somewhere that they intentionally put an extremely hard encounter in almost every zone so that you always feel there's a reason to return to older areas and see new quests and stuff they add in later acts.
Jag

Post by Jag »

So I met the Paladin companion outside the trading company entrance. I forgot the dialog I had with her, but she walked off and now I can't find her. Any thoughts where she might have gone? I don't mind too much, because my party is set and she wasn't getting added to it, but I would have liked to have her for the stronghold missions and whatever quests she had.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Wasn't quite sure which thread to put this under, but I figured it would fit best under the "tip" section, so...

I was reluctant to try out a cipher because I have my preferences for rangers and rogues. Also, I fear change. However, on a whim I threw one together last night (fire god-like) and holy shitballs is this dude awesome. In the second area, I took out the bear *and* both bandits holding the cook hostage solo. I tried the first level of the temple with just me (3rd), the fighter (3rd), and a custom priest (1st), and got past the first level with only one rest. Cipher has since taken over as my main, formerly a brawling thug of a monk, who had made it all the way to the city on the lake down south.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jag wrote:So I met the Paladin companion outside the trading company entrance. I forgot the dialog I had with her, but she walked off and now I can't find her. Any thoughts where she might have gone? I don't mind too much, because my party is set and she wasn't getting added to it, but I would have liked to have her for the stronghold missions and whatever quests she had.
She will join up after you finish running quests for the guy inside the trading company.
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Jag wrote:So I met the Paladin companion outside the trading company entrance. I forgot the dialog I had with her, but she walked off and now I can't find her. Any thoughts where she might have gone? I don't mind too much, because my party is set and she wasn't getting added to it, but I would have liked to have her for the stronghold missions and whatever quests she had.
If I remember correctly, you need to complete a task/quest for the Head Guy in the Trading Company. She'll pop up to add some dialog and you can recruit her then
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Zaxxon wrote:
All weapon speeds can interrupt. Faster ones tend to interrupt for shorter periods (but can do so more often). In other words, a dagger may interrupt for .35 seconds, while an arquebus may interrupt for .75 seconds. But the dagger may interrupt twice for every 1 time the arquebus does so. Obsidian really tried to make min/maxing unnecessary--pick the weapon type you like the best and don't fret over the details is my advice. You're better off making sure you're taking the damage type(s) of your weaponry, and the strengths/weaknesses of your enemies into account IMO.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for your feedback - hight appreciated!

Do you have more information about the calculation of the damager above - the ratio of slower speed & higher damager to higher speed & lower damage? I'm trying to decide between different types of the same weapon and I'm having trouble putting everything (including the high DEXT of my ranger) into perspective and pick the weapon to give me the highest damage output
Jag

Post by Jag »

tru1cy wrote:
If I remember correctly, you need to complete a task/quest for the Head Guy in the Trading Company. She'll pop up to add some dialog and you can recruit her then
Yep. I actually finished that quest right after I posted!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

ChuckB wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:

I hope that helps.
Thanks for your feedback - hight appreciated!

Do you have more information about the calculation of the damager above - the ratio of slower speed & higher damager to higher speed & lower damage? I'm trying to decide between different types of the same weapon and I'm having trouble putting everything (including the high DEXT of my ranger) into perspective and pick the weapon to give me the highest damage output
I don't. I'm going off of the in-game information. Remember that your character sheet will tell you exactly what the impact of your stats are.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Just because you have the highest "DPS", doesn't mean you're going to be effective in 100% of the cases. A lot of enemies have high damage resistance(aka good armor or tough skin), for example, which means your "high damage output" will not be worth a hill of beans. This means that you'll want to mix up your damage types (crush, slash, pierce and others if you're lucky). The other consideration when picking weapons is that there are weapon specialization talents which give you accuracy/damage bonuses to certain weapon groups.

So, to echo Zaxxon's advice, pick a couple of weapons that you like and don't worry about maximizing damage.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

True dat. Sometimes you care about high damage output (per hit, not just DPS) to overcome high DR. Other times you care more about rapid hits to get interrupts in against pointy foes, where waiting for a slow, high-output weapon to hit may see you dead before you swing it more than twice.

And all the time, you care about having options available to match well against the enemy's defenses.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Thanks guys - makes sense. I guess I also have to think about the different types of damages and what they do (and how to counter them) and less about "damage" as just one value/number. I guess I have to do some reading :D
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Help on a quest in the main town (about retrieving a guy's breastplate):
Spoiler:
I'm supposed to get it back from the Crusaders. I don't remember all the details, but he thinks the Crusader who kept the breastplate might not have been properly vetted by a Cipher. I found a note of authenticity that the guy had been vetted, but I get no new conversation options with either the quest giver, the guy who has the breastplate, or the Cipher that signed the note. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now. Any help?
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Help on a quest in the main town (about retrieving a guy's breastplate):
Spoiler:
I'm supposed to get it back from the Crusaders. I don't remember all the details, but he thinks the Crusader who kept the breastplate might not have been properly vetted by a Cipher. I found a note of authenticity that the guy had been vetted, but I get no new conversation options with either the quest giver, the guy who has the breastplate, or the Cipher that signed the note. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now. Any help?
If you talked to the Cipher who signed the affidavit just walking out of the building should trigger an event.
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

$iljanus wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Help on a quest in the main town (about retrieving a guy's breastplate):
Spoiler:
If you talked to the Cipher who signed the affidavit just walking out of the building should trigger an event.
Huh - I never had the event trigger for some reason. I've talked to him multiple times and never had anything happen afterwards.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So it's been a while since I did this quest but the order is according to my guide book :

Get affidavit, talk to Penhelm (in room next to archives) , then talk to Kurren (in Hadret House) , then show it to commander Clyver but you should be confronted on your way to him.
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Just checked and while I had looked at the affidavit (and thus my quest log had been updated), I actually hadn't picked it up. :oops:
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LOL, You need to put a few points into perception...!
Black lives matter!

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zing!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

One thing I've been doing to great effect is utilizing doors and hallways as choke points. The AI in this game isn't terribly smart, and you can game it into filing through almost single file into a meat grinder.

Another trick I've been utilizing which works great against large groups of enemies is the old "mob pull" from MMOs. I'll hang the group way back, then send the ranger's fox in (since it's fast) to catch the enemy's attention. Then I run back to the group. On many occasions, you'll get out of the "attention" range of some of the enemies and manage to pull back only one or two. Kill them off, rinse, repeat.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am going to try that with the fox. I have had little success with pulling and thought the mobs were linked.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter