Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by jztemple2 »

Download complete, just have to wait till 10p EDT for DWTS to be over. At least it's Disney night. Wonder if the producers would be interested in having a Grand Theft Auto night?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finally playing. Looks pretty damn good with the graphics turned up. One problem, I don't know how to take screenshots in the non-Steam version. Anyone know? I'll keep poking around, but I've looked through all the key bindings and there's nothing there.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Been playing for a couple of hours. I played a few missions in story mode. I had played GTAV when it came out for the X360 so I vaguely remembered them, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment. I also played GTA Online and was able to transfer my old character over. The weird lines on my avatar's face and hands? I don't know what the heck is happening there:

I played some in the Online mode, enough to get killed a few times :roll: and do a couple of races. One race was something I found wandering around on the map, but instead of the usual blue circle, it was white. Turns out it was one of my old missions I'd created back on the console and uploaded. Even though it was my own mission, I still finished second in the race :doh:

The game looks very nice and I'm getting a rock solid 60 fps with most of the graphics turned up high. I haven't been able to find a way to take a screen shot in-game, so I've been using FRAPS (I have the non-Steam version). This nice lady seems a bit distracted:

First person in-car view (click for the full version).

I did shoot a few video clips and used the Editor, but I didn't have anything special worth uploading. I did link my Rockstar account to my Google account so I can upload to YouTube if I get anything useful.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I've uploaded my first GTAV video. Thirty-seven seconds, with some camera changes, slow motion, sound track and a close up of Chop. Turns out if you record in-game in first person you can't edit the clips and they are about four times larger than the non-first person recordings.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another video I've uploaded, You Aint Nothing But A Punk, where Franklin shoots someone because he doesn't like his haircut. At least I'm assuming that's the reason.
JayDeath

Post by JayDeath »

jztemple2 wrote:Another video I've uploaded, You Aint Nothing But A Punk, where Franklin shoots someone because he doesn't like his haircut. At least I'm assuming that's the reason.
Wow, you can do all of that with the editor? That's just awesome. I played for about an hour last night. It looks so much nicer than the 360 version and plays pretty well. The first person view looks really pretty but it feels a bit awkward to me and I find myself staying in 3rd person more often. I think I gotta mess around with the head bobbing or something. You can't compare this game to the GTA4 launch. This game is so much more polished at launch. I'm very impressed.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

How are the load times? It takes a good 5 minutes for online to load on the PS3. :tjg:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

JayDeath wrote:Wow, you can do all of that with the editor?
The editor is pretty powerful, but it has a significant flaw, the clips that are recorded in game cannot be trimmed or split. So say you record twenty seconds of dullness followed by a fantastic ramp jump. You can add music, effects, use different camera angles, but that clip and the movie you put it into will still have that first twenty seconds of dullness in the front. At least after poking all around and going to the on-line manual I can't find any way to do it. I guess the only way would be to upload it to YouTube and then use the Tube's editing features but I don't know how extensive they are.

There are two ways to record a sequence. You can manually start and stop the recording. Or you can enable the "Action Replay" mode. In the latter once you enable it the game is saving what is going on; not a video but rather tracking the game world. At any time you can stop the Action Replay recording, which will result in a clip anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute and a half, depending on how busy the game world was at that moment. So you still have the same flaw, the clip may be a lot longer than you desire.

You can string clips together, so if you don't mind starting and stopping often you can get some more flexibility, but that's not conducive to being in character, IMHO.

And so far I haven't figured out how to take the files I find on the computer and convert them directly to video format; the system right now locks you into only being able to upload to YouTube. You apparently can't export a video format file directly to your computer.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Octavious wrote:How are the load times? It takes a good 5 minutes for online to load on the PS3. :tjg:
Load times? I just tested this using "one Mississippi, two Mississippi" :D. From clicking the icon on the desk top to actually being in Story Mode, loaded and being able to do something is about one minute. I have the non-Steam version so it is first firing up the Social Club client before dropping into the game, so that adds a little bit, but one minute isn't unreasonable. It's longer than GTA IV on the PC for me, but considering it's going through the main menu where you can branch either to Story Mode or Online Mode that's not too bad.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Pretty cool. I might find that fun to mess with.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

jztemple2 wrote:
Octavious wrote:How are the load times? It takes a good 5 minutes for online to load on the PS3. :tjg:
Load times? I just tested this using "one Mississippi, two Mississippi" :D. From clicking the icon on the desk top to actually being in Story Mode, loaded and being able to do something is about one minute. I have the non-Steam version so it is first firing up the Social Club client before dropping into the game, so that adds a little bit, but one minute isn't unreasonable. It's longer than GTA IV on the PC for me, but considering it's going through the main menu where you can branch either to Story Mode or Online Mode that's not too bad.
Cool that's one of the reasons I don't play it much on the PS3. It takes FOREVER to load into the game. If I were smart I would have saved up for this, but I'm not and I just bought MLB The Show. I need the money gods to show up pronto! I want to play through the entire game again in first person mode and join a crew online. The online is a ton of fun and I can imagine it's 10 times better with people from the message boards instead of random pickup games.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

My first thought when I saw that shot of you, was that I thought it was a full-body tattoo :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote:My first thought when I saw that shot of you, was that I thought it was a full-body tattoo :lol:
It seems to be fixed now, but my transfer mug shot will forever have those stripes. I look like I came out of a toothpaste tube :D.

I've done some online playing, including a mission where I had to steal a Titan (think C-130 Hercules) and fly it to the Sandy Springs airstrip. I had two partners, one dropped out, the other got killed too much. I also did my very first online Heist. Unfortunately it was a bust. I needed just one other person, but one of our connections was so laggy it was a disaster. And it didn't help that the Rockstar game servers when down around that time.

It's always a bit weird, re-playing a GTA title. You kinda know what's going to happen, but usually not until you're actually in a mission and then you say to yourself "now I remember, this is going to happen, then that and then something else". At least in the big in-game heists, like the jewelry store, there's two approaches so I can take the other one this time. Frankly I'm really enjoying just wandering around Los Santos and the state of San Andreas. The graphics are great, the framerate solid and amount of detail just everywhere is astonishing. You can see how it would take years to make a game like this. I came across a small hotel on the west coast with a pool and beach stuff and I swear I never saw it first time around. I may just put off playing the campaign missions and just tool around.

And by the way, one of the best ways to get around is a bicycle. It builds up your stamina and you can go to all sorts of places that you can't in a car.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I installed it from the DVDs when I came home from work yesterday and haven't even gotten to play yet because it decided it first has to download what is apparently half the game at an average speed of 10KB/sec. Heckuva job, Rockstar.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Chraolic wrote:I installed it from the DVDs when I came home from work yesterday and haven't even gotten to play yet because it decided it first has to download what is apparently half the game at an average speed of 10KB/sec. Heckuva job, Rockstar.
5 gig patch, original full game download was nearly 60 gig :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I should remember this from when I was playing on the X360 but I don't :roll:. In the Online Mode, I bought a jet ski and they delivered it, but I don't know where :doh:. Obviously cars I get I keep in my garage, but where are the boats? And the helicopters and planes for that matter? I never bought anything in Online but cars and bikes before.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Assuming it's like PS4, Pegasus deliveries will show on your map as a yellow vehicle icon. There is also a quick menu GPS entry for 'Pegasus Vehicle".
I still monkey around with GTA Online, if anyone wants to try to get some of the new heists in on PS4.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm weak and I haven't heard anything really negative about this version. And GMG had it 24% off. Stupid GMG...

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Octavious wrote:I'm weak and I haven't heard anything really negative about this version. And GMG had it 24% off. Stupid GMG...
+1 :oops:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Octavious wrote:I'm weak and I haven't heard anything really negative about this version. And GMG had it 24% off. Stupid GMG...
It won't finish downloading until overnight. I guess that's my punishment. :mrgreen: Didn't realize it wasn't a steam key, but oh well. I figure I know I'm going to play it a ton so I'll just eat twigs for a few days at work to make it up. :lol:

Captain Caveman

Octavious wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
It won't finish downloading until overnight. I guess that's my punishment. :mrgreen: Didn't realize it wasn't a steam key, but oh well. I figure I know I'm going to play it a ton so I'll just eat twigs for a few days at work to make it up. :lol:
I started downloading it before I left for work this morning and it still has an hour to go. I might get a chance before bed to see how low I have to place the settings to get this thing running on my aging rig, but I'll have to save the big pimpin' until tomorrow night.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It takes about an hour to unpack btw. 65 gb. Ridiculous... :)

Captain Caveman

Octavious wrote:It takes about an hour to unpack btw. 65 gb. Ridiculous... :)
Ack! I forgot about that. I am now resigned to not playing it until tomorrow. :(
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Did anyone create a crew or am I better off doing QT3? I already beat the game on ps3 so I will jump to the online part pretty quickly.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Ack! I forgot about that. I am now resigned to not playing it until tomorrow. :(
I have 42 gb downloaded. Should be good and ready for me tomorrow. If I had gotten it through steam it would have been done already. Oh well. :coffee:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just experienced a full up lightning storm in Sandy Shores. I don't remember them looking this realistic. Too bad the video editor doesn't allow cuts, I have about ten seconds of awesome lightning strikes in a 101 second clip and no way to trim it down :cry:
Captain Caveman

Octavious wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
I have 42 gb downloaded. Should be good and ready for me tomorrow. If I had gotten it through steam it would have been done already. Oh well. :coffee:
I got a little time in with it tonight. There was no unpacking for me, just an additional 300+ meg patch.

I played through the prologue and am really impressed with how well it plays on my old rig (nvidia 560ti gpu). It defaulted me to 800x600 but I cranked that baby up all the way to 1080p and it still runs fine as long as I keep some of the other settings on normal. I didn't expect it to look this good.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

jztemple2 wrote:Just experienced a full up lightning storm in Sandy Shores. I don't remember them looking this realistic. Too bad the video editor doesn't allow cuts, I have about ten seconds of awesome lightning strikes in a 101 second clip and no way to trim it down :cry:
What format is the video? You can't use a generic video editor to edit and cut the clip to just the 10 seconds?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Captain Caveman wrote:
Octavious wrote:
Captain Caveman wrote:
I got a little time in with it tonight. There was no unpacking for me, just an additional 300+ meg patch.

I played through the prologue and am really impressed with how well it plays on my old rig (nvidia 560ti gpu). It defaulted me to 800x600 but I cranked that baby up all the way to 1080p and it still runs fine as long as I keep some of the other settings on normal. I didn't expect it to look this good.
I have 5GB to go and it's 12:30 AM. Damn it... I have a 660ti which matches the recommended specs. I'm not picky so if I have to turn a few things down to get it smooth I'm good with that.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been thinking of trying this. The only game like this that I had a ton of fun with was Saints Row 4. Would I like GTA5? And does the online pay make it more fun or just more trolling?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Daehawk wrote:Been thinking of trying this. The only game like this that I had a ton of fun with was Saints Row 4. Would I like GTA5? And does the online pay make it more fun or just more trolling?
GTA V is great, I like it as much as Vice City and more than SR4.

Online is meant to be great as well, guys at work really love it but i've not tried it yet.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Online is a blast and the only reason I bought this again. I was able to quickly login before I went to bed and brought my ps3 character over with no issues. Very cool.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Just experienced a full up lightning storm in Sandy Shores. I don't remember them looking this realistic. Too bad the video editor doesn't allow cuts, I have about ten seconds of awesome lightning strikes in a 101 second clip and no way to trim it down :cry:
What format is the video? You can't use a generic video editor to edit and cut the clip to just the 10 seconds?
It's not really a video format, it's a recording log of the actions within the game which you can view as if it was a video. It only become a video when you export it to YouTube. And apparently you can only export to YouTube, not to your local computer. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I haven't been able to find a workaround.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just fired up GTAV and it downloaded an approximately 350MB update. Any ideas what it's about? Nevermind, I found the info here.

Fixed an issue where the GTAV Launcher would use an abnormally high percentage of CPU and sometimes crash
Fixed an issue where frame rate would drop when left-clicking the mouse while driving
Added a grid to the Golf mini-game to show the topology of the green while putting
Fixed an issue where a character’s eyebrows or other facial features could change erroneously when transferred to PC
Fixed an issue where a some players were asked to transfer their GTA Online character while a transfer was already in progress
YouTube uploads via the Rockstar Editor will now correctly resume if Internet connection is lost during the upload and later restored
Fixed a rare issue where the game could crash while using the Rockstar Editor
Projects containing deleted clips will now load properly in the Rockstar Editor and warn the player of the missing clips
Fixed an issue where birds were not recorded correctly in Rockstar Editor clips
Corrected an issue where certain characters in Windows usernames would cause the Launcher to fail to load or other undesired game behavior. For details, see this page.
Fixed an issue where players with one garage would not be able to replace an existing vehicle if the garage was full and the new vehicle was purchased from an in-game website
Additional fixes to prepare for iFruit support
Crew Tire Smoke can no longer be purchased if you are not in a Crew
Captain Caveman

This game is the first I've played in a long while where my first impression is mostly just slack jawed amazement. First, I'm incredulous how well my old computer runs it; the game is just gorgeous. Easily the best looking game I've ever played in this rig. Second, first person mode is a blast! I had no idea, and I think I might play the whole game this way. Right away, I just left my house and hung out in the road until a car slowed down and honked at me to move. I didn't, the driver flicked me off, then got out of the car and proceed to knock me upside my head before I lit him up. I gotta say, first person fist fights are awesome. Third, there's so much detail in the world. I find myself just examine book titles on shelves, reading posters, checking out knick-knacks, etc. It's just incredible how varied all the environments are.

I really haven't done anything yet but mess around in the open world. I did get a lap dance, felt up the dancer, got two lap dances at the same time, felt them up as well, and then get thrown out of the club for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I still have it barely touched on my Xbox360, but your post intrigues me. I mean, it would take me 4+ days to download it, but I'm still pleased to hear it runs well on an older rig. I think I put about 5 hours into it and was totally and absolutely amazed at it on the console. The detail, the story, the characters. It's ridiculous and everything I've read suggests its even better on PC.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

I just spent the past hour taking selfies, surfing the fake internet, emailing my ex-girlfriend, getting a new 'fro, and instigating more fist fights. I had a blast.

If you want to be dissuaded out of a purchase, I can tell you that my wife did walk in as I was playing and said, "what's the big deal, it seems just like the last one". I tried to explain, but I don't think she heard me over the sounds of Easy E blasting from my hatchback.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish this was cheaper..its still $50 on G2A even.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Captain Caveman wrote:I just spent the past hour taking selfies, surfing the fake internet, emailing my ex-girlfriend, getting a new 'fro, and instigating more fist fights. I had a blast.
I had played GTAV all the way through on the X360 and did some online as well, so I figured I'd be doing mostly online with the PC version. Turns out that I've grown kind of tired of interacting with the great unwashed masses out there and so I'm having fun in story mode, but as you note, a lot of it is just doing non-campaign mission stuff. It's so damn detailed that sometimes I just find a bike and pedal around the map so I can get a better look at things.

I'm still not accustomed to first person and keep going back to third person, but I'm going to force myself for awhile, as least if I'm not in a mission.

I am having some frame rate issues. After enjoying a pretty solid 60 fps experience, but once I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and used the Nvidia Experience to adjust my settings, I get awesome 60 fps for a while, then it starts getting a little flaky and dropping to 30 and back up to 60 off and on. Most irritating.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And another awesome thing about first person, you can see yourself and your SMG in a car this way (click image to enlarge). I'm having to use FRAPS for screenshots as I have the non-Steam version and apparently there's no way to take a screenshot in-game like you can using the Steam F12.