Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, but that's the thing, I was just jogging. Not doing anything crazy or hiding from police. I had no stars or bounties. They were (I guess) in that passive mode and shooting me and everyone else.

EDIT: I also had two hard locks on my PC today while playing. Once in the Online mode, once in SP. Just updated my video drivers and saw that AMD is working on a new updated driver that addresses GTA; beta driver has been out for a month.

This game is like crack.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:Ok, but that's the thing, I was just jogging. Not doing anything crazy or hiding from police. I had no stars or bounties. They were (I guess) in that passive mode and shooting me and everyone else.

EDIT: I also had two hard locks on my PC today while playing. Once in the Online mode, once in SP. Just updated my video drivers and saw that AMD is working on a new updated driver that addresses GTA; beta driver has been out for a month.

This game is like crack.
Spoken like someone who has never been a crack addict.......
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds fishy then. Maybe they were hacking . If two players are in different modes neither should be able to interact with the other.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's what I assumed. It was all very strange. The other thing I saw today was another high level player ramming into my car, sending me into NPCs and vehicles --- which I guess then upped my bounty.

I've only played online a few hours but this afternoon was the first time I was irritated.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove you mentioned your mental state allowing you to be targeted - any player can target you at any time so long as you are not in Passive Mode.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Also, you get bounties in GTAONLINE in 2 ways; players can call Lester and set a bounty on you manually, or if you steal a car from an NPC there is a chance they will set a bounty.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Within my first 5 minutes of online play i stole a car but had no star and was just sitting in it when another player drove up. I thought I was safe but he shot and killed me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ah, I thought the only way I could be targeted was if I was up to no good (and my mental state was rising) -- exclusive of whether or not I had police stars. Good to know. F-ing griefers. :D

That being said, they really need to change the Minority Report awareness of the police. It would be better if it worked like Red Dead Redemption - no witnesses means no crime.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote:Ah, I thought the only way I could be targeted was if I was up to no good (and my mental state was rising) -- exclusive of whether or not I had police stars. Good to know. F-ing griefers. :D
I always thought that was the point of playing online in the non-safe mode. It's kill or be killed :shock:. When I went online I was loaded for bear (nothing like an RPG to even things up!) and would periodically spin around to check my six.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I generally don't do much in the actual city online. I just go into a lobby and play missions. When that's done book to an ATM. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go online tonight for a bit. Want to get my flying skill up. I bought a plane after we finished the 2 heists way back when now and haven't logged in since. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

While the game repeatedly warns that you can lose money if another player kills you, I don't think that's really the case. I've been killed a few times with over $5k and not lost any money. I've killed people who have just finished missions and not received any money.

That said, I still bank my money whenever I think about it. You don't have to visit an ATM - you can do it by going to the internet on your phone and clicking on the top menu "Finances and Services" and then click on Maze Bank.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Possible malware in some mods.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Isgrimnur wrote:Possible malware in some mods.

That's some scary stuff. I hate douche-bags
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mods video

This one includes a graphics mod, a gas one, trucking mod, increase people and traffic, and finally shoot vehicles from your gun.

I like the looks of the trucking one a bit but the gas one is nice. Ive pulled into stations and was surprised they had no use at all in a game this immersive. I thought this game needs a gas requirement and now someone has modded it in.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat May 16, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fretmute

Grand Theft Auto V - Finally On The PC

Post by Fretmute »

Octavious wrote:I generally don't do much in the actual city online. I just go into a lobby and play missions.
Tell me more. I've been driving around town aimlessly waiting for NPC missions (as opposed to death match/race invites) to appear on the phone. Can I just spawn as many as I want?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Mods? ..I'm still trying to get the game to work at all..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I've been having a ball playing the game, except for repeated "Failure to Initialize" errors. At any point in the game, it would just hang, and the error message would come up, sending me to desktop. I couldn't find a solution on-line for the problem, and it was increasing in frequency, so I uninstalled, and will hold off until there is a patch that will hopefully resolve the issue.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Some people have reported success with dropping it down to DX10 to fix the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I jumped online for a bit last night, but didn't see anyone and was tired. Flew around for a bit trying to get my flying skill up.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For reference, I had two hard crashes (locked up my PC) and maybe a few more CTD in the ~20 hours I've played. I was using older AMD video drivers so I updated them to the most current offering and haven't seen a crash since. While doing so, I noticed that there is a beta set of drivers specifically for GTA V from lats month; hopefully they're ready to go soon (though I haven't had any more problems).
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I still have some pretty crappy performance online vs offline. I haven't tried dropping it down to DX10 since the last patch. Might try that. I'm on a nvidia card.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Fretmute wrote:
Octavious wrote:I generally don't do much in the actual city online. I just go into a lobby and play missions.
Tell me more. I've been driving around town aimlessly waiting for NPC missions (as opposed to death match/race invites) to appear on the phone. Can I just spawn as many as I want?
Generally when I'm online I get invites for other people in the crew. Once we meet up we just keep on doing the random missions after we finish the first one. Since they are a higher level than me they have more stuff unlocked. They are all probably level 100 by now as it's been 2 weeks. :oops:

RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Octavious wrote:
Fretmute wrote:
Generally when I'm online I get invites for other people in the crew. Once we meet up we just keep on doing the random missions after we finish the first one. Since they are a higher level than me they have more stuff unlocked. They are all probably level 100 by now as it's been 2 weeks. :oops:
On the consoles you can start particular jobs from the map menu online tab. You can also call particular contacts as they unlock and 'Request Job'. Finally, there's a 'Quick Job' icon on the phone where you can instantly join a random job of a particular type (ie 'Contact Mission').
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

RuperT wrote:On the consoles you can start particular jobs from the map menu online tab. You can also call particular contacts as they unlock and 'Request Job'. Finally, there's a 'Quick Job' icon on the phone where you can instantly join a random job of a particular type (ie 'Contact Mission').
When I've done that, I got matched with other folks. My goal is to avoid random guys online.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, over the weekend I just picked races and quickly blasted through the first screen to customize settings - making it invite only. At that point, I could just race myself. Made about $2k a race and didn't need to deal with idiots. I'd assume it's the same for regular missions that only require 1 player to initialize.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Note that if you run a solo race then it won't count toward race rewards - when you go to Los Santos Customs and it says you need to win 11 more races to upgrade your engine? For those you need to compete against another player. Also, I think I've mentioned that those upgrades say "win 11 more races in this vehicle class to upgrade" but that's not actually the case. Any race win counts for any class of vehicle upgrade.

What I've done is race trade. There's a track at the prison that is a simple circle right around the complex. It takes around 28 seconds to finish. Get another person, set it to 1 lap, and take turns winning. It's a grind but you can just do like 4-6 at a time and get good progress.

Oh, also I mentioned above that if another player kills you then you don't lose money. That is true. However! If another player sends a mugger after you, it appears you can lose your money. It's very rare for anyone to send a mugger, except to complete the daily objective, but it does happen, so bank your money using your phone when you can think of it :).
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Well, I rebuilt my PC entirely and it still doesn't hold well even with a clean build.

On the up-side, my new PC plays this very well and its much easier to control with smoother processing/graphics. Its butter. New PC is Haswell-E with Quad channel ram and SLI GTX970 all off an SSD of course. I was able to run all the way through the intro sequences up until I got to the house and had the first real opportunity to take off and do whatever I wanted. No glitches or hiccups of any sort!
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Fri May 22, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Frost

Post by Frost »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Well, I rebuilt my PC entirely and it still doesn't hold well even with a clean build.

On the up-side, my new PC plays this very well and its much easier to control with smoother processing/graphics. Its butter. New PC is Haswell-E with Quad channel ram and SLI GTX970 all off an SSD of course. I was able to run all the way through the intro sequences up until I got to the house and had the first real opportunity to take off and do whatever I wanted. No glitches of hiccups of any sort!
nice little beast rig you have there. I feel like I should be rebuilding soon, as it's been like 5 years, but my I7 920 and 7870 Radeon (2 years old?) still get the job done pretty well.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Frost wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:Well, I rebuilt my PC entirely and it still doesn't hold well even with a clean build.

On the up-side, my new PC plays this very well and its much easier to control with smoother processing/graphics. Its butter. New PC is Haswell-E with Quad channel ram and SLI GTX970 all off an SSD of course. I was able to run all the way through the intro sequences up until I got to the house and had the first real opportunity to take off and do whatever I wanted. No glitches or hiccups of any sort!
nice little beast rig you have there. I feel like I should be rebuilding soon, as it's been like 5 years, but my I7 920 and 7870 Radeon (2 years old?) still get the job done pretty well.
Yeah - I went all in with 5930K i7 and 32GB DDR4 RAM. Its definitely a little beast. But it had been 4 years since my last full build and 2+ since my last partial upgrade. Plus, daughter needs the hand-me-down for gaming and online school. My older machine was still pulling fairly good play in most games. But GTAV finally showed it limits. The new rig is GLORIOUS! And I actually like Windows 8.1 -- who would of thought?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think I might be done with pc gaming soon. The new consoles kicked the arms race up and I don't have the will or the money to keep up. I'll likely grab a ps4 and call it a day.

Rip

Post by Rip »

Octavious wrote:I think I might be done with pc gaming soon. The new consoles kicked the arms race up and I don't have the will or the money to keep up. I'll likely grab a ps4 and call it a day.

Traitor!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Rip wrote:
Octavious wrote:I think I might be done with pc gaming soon. The new consoles kicked the arms race up and I don't have the will or the money to keep up. I'll likely grab a ps4 and call it a day.

Traitor!
wuss
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Frost

Post by Frost »

GTFO!!!!

No, I can see where this sentiment comes from. If the consoles offered as much tweaking and modding (i know they've gotten better but still not on the pc level) for games, I'd someday consider it too. But that day is not here yet for me :)

Edit: I also enjoy paying a few bucks or less for most of my games, which the consoles also have not caught up with the PC on. On rare occasion I'll see an Xbox game for only a few bucks, but it's never one I'd be interested in.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm better off without the modding most of the time. I spend more time modding than playing the game. :) The sales for the pc do make a huge difference. I really screwed the pooch when I bought my dell. It's not easy at all to upgrade it. I'd really have to replace the whole thing at this point.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Octavious wrote:I'm better off without the modding most of the time. I spend more time modding than playing the game. :) The sales for the pc do make a huge difference. I really screwed the pooch when I bought my dell. It's not easy at all to upgrade it. I'd really have to replace the whole thing at this point.
Yes...come over to the dark side... buy a new PC! :twisted:
Frost

Post by Frost »

yeah, I currently have a Gateway FX which is their gaming series. It's been great for the past 5 or so years, as I've only had to upgrade the video card. I just don't like the motherboards for all the name brand builds (Gateway, Dell, etc.)
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Finished the story line. Really enjoyed this game. Now that I have a buttload of money, there's nothing really to do :( and I tried online but really don't like it. May be different with a group but seemed to me it was just a bunch of a-holes running around griefing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For those with framerate problems theres a mod that not only improves the graphics but increase framerates too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1zM-yECsic
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another nice mod... Satellite view map mod.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Green Man Gaming has it for $40.19 right now BUT you can get it down to $31.35 with this voucher: SLICKD-EAL22O-FFGTAV

It looks like it also comes with a $500,000 bonus to GTA online.

I finally have a PC that can run it so I picked it up a week or so back using a different voucher.
Does anybody still play this? Looking to either put together or join a crew.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln