Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by Grifman »

Great news, a new DE game:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... 68435.aspx
Set in 2029, two years after the events of Human Revolution, Adam Jensen returns and joins forces with an Interpol-funded task force aiming to hunt down and capture augmented terrorists in a world that now hates and fears transhumans. Jensen has a new suite of augmentations that allow him to cleverly navigate stealth, combat, and social interactions, but how Jensen chooses to solve every problem is entirely up to you.

At the end of Human Revolution, the Illuminati caused every transhuman to go into a fight-or-flight response and attack anyone near them. In the next issue of Game Informer, you can find out how this event caused humanity to hate and fear those with augmentations. We spent two days in Eidos-Montreal's studio, talking with the team and learning about how they build a realistic future. We go in depth on some of Jensen's new augmentations that help improve the stealth and combat systems, such as the ability to remote hack electronic objects, fire off his nano blade from a distance, and surround himself with a nearly indestructible nanoshield. We also got some great examples on how the game will be as open ended as ever, allowing players to carve their own path through the world. You can only get these details in the latest issue of Game Informer.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided doesn't yet have a release date, but it's headed to PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Some of this may be a bit spoilery:
Spoiler:
-Takes place in 2029, 2 years after Human Revolution
-Listed as single-player, no mention of multiplayer
-Jensen is part of a covert, goverment-sponsored task force called Task Force 29, a new bracnh of Interpol, to combat a new breed of terrorism
-Jensen doesn't full trust Task Force 29, also feeds intel to another covert organization called the Juggernaut Collective
-In true Deus Ex fashion, you often receive conflicting missions, neither can be fully trusted
-Boss encounters are designed in a way to allow players to approach any way they want (stealth, full combat, etc)
-Eidos won't comment on which ending it considers canon but is trying to string together different parts of each ending for the overall background of Mankind Divided
-Story is in many ways a story of redemption for Jensen
-The story they're telling is building to events that take place in the original Deus Ex
-With Mankind Divided, they're exploring the original game's past; "Is the depiction of past events from the original Deus Ex true? Will we discover stuff we never knew?"
-Added a lot of diversity to the environments
-Females are also now part of the regular enemies in the game
-One of Jensen's missions takes him to Utulek Station in Prague, now a ghetto for augmented individuals
-It is nicknamed "Golem City", based on the real life Kowloon Walled City
-Shops line the streets, temporary housing units stacked on one another reaching upwards toward the sky; claustrophobic atmosphere
-Mission to track down a leader of an aug group, but police have captured the informant
-Can choose to butter up the informant's wife for clues or cause a scene with the police
-Alternatively Jensen can bypass this area of the game altogether and find the leader's hideout on his own
-Mentions Jensen engaging in tense conversation with the leader, resulting in a diplomatic solution or violence
-Transhumans (augs) referred to as "clanks" by police
-"You can go full combat or full stealth throughout any part of the game"
-Side quests meant to be more meaningful; ex. players can choose to make deals with criminal organizations and its mob boss might call in a favor later interrupting main missions
-Doesn't want fetch quests, the team sees the extra quests as a way to explore the main themes of the game more deeply
-Features twice as many augmentations as Human Revolution
-Aug examples:
Tesla: little darts pop out of Jensen's knuckles allowing him to tag enemies and take them out quietly
Silent Run: Allows Jensen to move quickly across any floor without making a sound (can combine with cloaking)
C.A.S.I.E.: Allows Jensen to analyze the mental state of individuals, helping him to respond adequately in conversations
PEPS Gun: Non-lethal weapon that pops out of Jensen's bionic arm and fires a concussive blast allowing him to knock an enemy out, kill him or flee
-Augmentation features can be assigned on the d-pad for quick selection
-Augmentations consumed a fixed amount of energy, when Jensen stops using them he regains a portion of it
-Can still refill his augs completely with bio cells, Eidos wants the recharge mechanic to encourage using augs more liberally
-New remote hack augmentation allows Jensen to activate shortcuts through areas to pass enemies
-No plan for Human Revolution saves to carry over, but Eidos is planning for a franchise now, want to expand further after HR's success
-No plans for a Deus Ex MMO
-Eidos noted fans who played stealthily enjoyed the game more so spent several years iterating on gunplay
-Mankind Divided's moment-to-moment action plays out like a series of set-piece moments, a 'remarkable feat' considering nothing is scripted
-Jensen can adjust his weapons at any point mid-battle, changing ammo type, firing pattern, scopes, etc
-Some enemies have external tech like exoskeletons and mechs to combat Jensen
-Variety of enemies have a diversity of weapons, augments, or other high-tech combat tools, some have high-jump abilities, etc
-Focused on making A.I. more aggressive, flanking, etc
-Certain elements of the environment now react to combat
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by coopasonic »

yes please
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Deus Ex Human Revolution was a joy to play and I even finished it. Since the same studio is doing this one I'm pretty confident about purchasing this on release day.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Are these games like Bioshock? So a decent story and a FPS, or are they more COD, where it is a FPS and maybe a story thrown at you a little.

Also, are they a ton of stealthy missions, or varied?

I like Bioshock and that kind of ilk, but hate FPS centric type games. Where shooting things is the primary thing to do, and no story to go with it..

I keep meaning to buy one of these games and play it, but I always find something else to buy instead..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RMC wrote: I like Bioshock and that kind of ilk, but hate FPS centric type games. Where shooting things is the primary thing to do, and no story to go with it..
Have you not played the original Deus Ex? :shock: Deus Ex and System Shock 2 were the originators of the genre that Bioshock represents.
RMC wrote:Are these games like Bioshock? So a decent story and a FPS, or are they more COD, where it is a FPS and maybe a story thrown at you a little.

It is a story with RPG elements where the action takes places behind a gun. Not only are the missions varied, they are varied by your choice. It is possible to play Deus Ex almost like Call of Duty with a story. It is also possible to play both games (the original and Human Revolution) without killing a single person (although it is more difficult.)

Hell, here. Watch this. The same mission, played three ways. No spoilers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Blackhawk wrote:
RMC wrote: I like Bioshock and that kind of ilk, but hate FPS centric type games. Where shooting things is the primary thing to do, and no story to go with it..
Have you not played the original Deus Ex? :shock: Deus Ex and System Shock 2 were the originators of the genre that Bioshock represents.
RMC wrote:Are these games like Bioshock? So a decent story and a FPS, or are they more COD, where it is a FPS and maybe a story thrown at you a little.

It is a story with RPG elements where the action takes places behind a gun. Not only are the missions varied, they are varied by your choice. It is possible to play Deus Ex almost like Call of Duty with a story. It is also possible to play both games (the original and Human Revolution) without killing a single person (although it is more difficult.)

Hell, here. Watch this. The same mission, played three ways. No spoilers.
Errr... Yeah, I guess I missed all of these somehow. Guess I will pick them up now...
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

RMC wrote:Errr... Yeah, I guess I missed all of these somehow. Guess I will pick them up now...
Dammit, and you call yourself a gamer!?

Get thee hence and buy both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex immediately or turn in your gamer card! I really wish I could play both of those for the first time again!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Grifman wrote:
RMC wrote:Errr... Yeah, I guess I missed all of these somehow. Guess I will pick them up now...

Get thee hence and buy both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex immediately or turn in your gamer card! I really wish I could play both of those for the first time again!
I guess I thought that they were more FPS with a little RPG elements. So many RPGS out in the past, that I most likely picked the RPG over these. :)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote:

I've tried multiple times to get into both the Deus Ex and System Shock games. I never make it more than a few hours into either before simply losing interest. The last Deus Ex fared the best, I got about 10 hours into it before wandering off.

For whatever reason, neither series clicks with me at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I like Bioshock and that kind of ilk, but hate FPS centric type games. Where shooting things is the primary thing to do, and no story to go with it..

I keep meaning to buy one of these games and play it, but I always find something else to buy instead..
No. In my opinion, Bioshock is a relatively straightforward FPS with a peculiar backstory (and --it's some time ago that I played the first one-- some mild RPG elements on how you want to develop parts of the features your char uses).

Deus Ex is more of a first person action adventure with very strong FPS, RPG and even adventure elements. You have to overall decide what your char will be good at and can change him/her in this direction (mainly using "augmentations"). Overall, you COULD play this as a FPS (I think) but I didn't - I played it as a stealth game (very similar to the Splinter Cell games) and didn't kill enemies but avoided them (or disabled them). If your play it as a FPS, it will still not be like CoD.

There is a story you'll follow (Deus Ex is very linear in this way) with politics, multi-national companies that create the backdrop for your actions.

I really enjoyed the game (and actually finished it :D )
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm down.

The original Deus Ex, as I recall, was really hard to play as a pure shooter, especially in the beginning. Until you boosted the relevant gun skills, the crosshair took about half an hour to stabilize between shots and the way the sniper rifle scope shook made me think JC Denton had Parkinson's disease. I eventually settled into a pattern of sneaking around and touching people's asses with an electric cattle prod (er, stun baton), mixed up with gas grenades attached to walls, emp grenades or rockets for robots and the occasional computer hacking to switch turret targeting priorities. Later on though, JC Denton gets his shakes under control with the liberal application of skill points and weapon mods, at which point you can blaze through endless crowds of bad guys no problem. Stealth is still an option though, between cloaking augmentations and the vents that perforate every corporate or military facility.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw that trailer today. If I was an aug Im not sure what Id do. To be treated like shit for nothing...but to go out and kill those who have done nothing....what a situation to be in for Adam.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Well, as per the synopsis, they do say that almost every aug on the planet went into a rampage at the same time.

I wonder how they're going to handle David Sarif in the sequel. He was kind of the fall guy in DEHR, but his heart was in the right place despite also being arrogant enough to over-augment Adam. I don't think Sarif industries will be doing well if they still exist, besides selling to police and military.

I also think it's funny that the 4 buttons ending of DEHR is pretty much invalidated into a complex amalgam of the 4 buttons. Let's hope the director takes note of this and tries for something more complex.

Do they mention if neuropozine is still being used?
theohall

Post by theohall »

Just don't bother with Deus Ex: Invisible War. No need to ruin the experience the other two provide.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

theohall wrote:Just don't bother with Deus Ex: Invisible War. No need to ruin the experience the other two provide.
Totally agree.

Loved the first one. Played through it at least 3 times. Made it through the second one, but it was a struggle.

Enjoyed the latest offering.

I'll definitely get it at some point.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Much more story than Bioshock, and more attention paid to backstory. The story in Human Revolution, I felt was like a good sci-fi novel in itself.

I've only ever played the first Bioshock. It was OK, but nothing to write home about in the the story department.

Sounds like the sequel is building up to UNATCO.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
RMC

Post by RMC »

So the Human Revolution one is a good one to start with?
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

RMC wrote:So the Human Revolution one is a good one to start with?
There is no need IMHO to play any of the earlier ones to enjoy Human Revolution. The first one was great but I'm not sure how well it has aged in the visual department, UI and playability. I think it's still fine but it will not feel like a really modern game (which, I guess, is good and bad news depending how you feel about how games have generally developed over the last years ...)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

ChuckB wrote:
There is no need IMHO to play any of the earlier ones to enjoy Human Revolution. The first one was great but I'm not sure how well it has aged in the visual department, UI and playability. I think it's still fine but it will not feel like a really modern game (which, I guess, is good and bad news depending how you feel about how games have generally developed over the last years ...)
That's true. The first one is good too but I don't know if it's aged well, I've never gone back to it.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

This whole discussion has made me re-install Human Revolution, since I still haven't played the add-on (Missing Link) :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played the original a year or so ago. The gameplay holds up, the graphics are still Y2K Unreal Engine. That isn't a factor for me, but it could be for some.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This rivals Tomb Raider in the "stuff Coop is really looking forward to" department.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
theohall

Post by theohall »

Archinerd wrote:
ChuckB wrote:
That's true. The first one is good too but I don't know if it's aged well, I've never gone back to it.
If you enjoyed playing/re-playing System Shock 2, then the first Deux Ex definitely holds up.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Archinerd wrote:
ChuckB wrote:

Yeah, if there's a game that's in need of an HD remaster, it'd be this game. Being that Mankind Divided and Human Revolution are prequels to it, I think it only makes sense that they'd want to, given that there'd likely be people coming off HD to check out the original Deus Ex, and they'd be in for a shock.

BTW, nice nod to the original game in the video. At the 1.26 mark, you can see VersaLife in there. Also, that guy at the end? Sure sounds like it could be Gunther Hermann! He's initially against augmentations until UNATCO rescues him, which would fit the theme of the game. Even the description about him sounds like it fits the visuals we see:

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Gunther_Hermann

My best guess is that, if it is him, then something happens as described to change his alliegance.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I suspect that they plan to remake the original Deus Ex with both a revised and extra plot from DE universe if this game does well.

However, it will still take a while to reach that since DE1 was at a huge jumping point in aug tech, so there's plenty of time that can pass as they deal with all the fallout from cybernetic augmentations.

Of course, nano augmentations just have the functionality without the chopping off limbs. I suspect there's plenty of room for cybernetics that also use forms of nanotech to become even stronger.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

ChuckB wrote:This whole discussion has made me re-install Human Revolution, since I still haven't played the add-on (Missing Link) :D
Isn't the expansion stand-alone?
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Nightwish wrote:
ChuckB wrote:This whole discussion has made me re-install Human Revolution, since I still haven't played the add-on (Missing Link) :D
Isn't the expansion stand-alone?
Not sure. I just checked Steam and they now only have the Director's Cut, which has the add-on integrated (and some other changes made to the overall game). My (old) Steam version is installing in two folders and has two separate icons.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The expansion was kind of standalone, but happened in a very specific spot (and gap) in the game's story. During the expansion your augs get reset and you basically go through an entire game worth of re-acquisition in a few hours, it's pretty fun actually.

Because of this, for the director's cut, they decided to just fold it into the full game's story at the spot it occurs naturally, instead of being played afterwards.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and I think it was very clear in the original game when and where it happened. I believe it happened when you stowed away on that ship that took you to your final destination. In the original, there's some bit about having been knocked out, if I remember right.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wi111

Post by wi111 »

Talking about DX:HR do the director' s cut even come out in box for PC ?as I really want one
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wi111 wrote:Talking about DX:HR do the director' s cut even come out in box for PC ?as I really want one
http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Rev ... B00FB3UPB0

It looks like a euro version, but it will probably work. Cheap enough to get the box anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wi111

Post by wi111 »

oh thank, don't know why i never find it on Amzone before

but it look like is just DVD with Steam Activation key not even a tiny hardcopy manual :-| , do DX:HR alway need Steam Activation since day one ?
Last edited by wi111 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They aren't going to pay someone to write a manual, then pay to have it printed when the primary distribution method is digital.

And yes, it has always been a Steamworks game - as are probably 95% of all mainstream games on the PC.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing that annoyed me about DE:HR was the boss battles that were outsourced to another developer and just brought the experience to a crashing halt. Thankfully they "fixed" them later.
He won. Period.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I can understand being annoyed at the boss battles if you were trying to play the game entirely stealthily. What usually happens with me is I *try* to go stealthy, then some dipshit sees me and sounds the alarm. At this point, I revert back to DOOM and everybody dies. Knowing this, my Dentons and Jensens pack a healthy arsenal of firearms that would make any NRA supporter proud. The only reason I got so good at stealth in the original Deus Ex is because I played it through like five times and knew about every guard and alarm console and secret route. Even then, one of the main reasons I went stealthy was so I could hack turrets and robots to get them to kill the bad guys for me and save some ammo.
Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Blackhawk wrote: Hell, here. Watch this. The same mission, played three ways. No spoilers.
Wow - I don't think it ever occurred to me to pick up a turret and use it - as a gun and as a thrown weapon.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A couple of E3 gameplay trailers. Some interesting new augs they are showing, I especially like the temporary armor:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/06/16/de ... ve-e3-2014
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think THIS LINK may have that same video but theres another one there too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is good:
The previous game in the series, 2011's Deus Ex: Human Revolution, rewarded stealthy, non-violent gameplay over outright killing, by granting you more experience points and perks for playing in a sneaky fashion. It's something Fortier says the studio is looking to avoid this time around.

"We've removed part of that. I think that sent the wrong message in Human Revolution because you got experience points from stealth and not combat. I don't think the team realised it was sending that message back in the day. We've been careful of that," he confessed. "That's why we've worked on the whole combat aspect of the game as well to bring it up to par with the stealth."
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/ ... ice-735129