Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by Max Peck »

No more "Augment Your Pre-Order" shenanigans:
Hi everyone! At both Square Enix and Eidos-Montréal, we’ve been listening to everything you’ve had to say about the Augment Your Pre-Order program. When it was first conceived, we wanted the program to give you more choice about what you received in terms of pre-order incentives - because we've seen in the past that when we choose those packages ourselves, and split them across regions, it has caused frustration. We quickly noticed that this approach created even more frustration than before, resulting in a resounding amount of negative feedback.

We’ve spent a lot of time reading through all of your comments, working to understand how we can try to make things right for you. After much thought and reflection, we decided to close down the program and make all of the incentive content available to anyone who pre-orders Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or purchases a Day 1 edition of the game. Additionally, the release date will no longer be changed in accordance with pre-order numbers, and everyone will gain access to the game on February 23rd, 2016.

Your feedback and input is of the utmost importance to us-- as it’s your loyalty and passion for our franchises that gives us the opportunity to continue providing you with great gaming experiences.

To our faithful fans who’ve already pre-ordered: we will be taking care of everything necessary to ensure that all of the changes to the program will be automatically applied to your purchase. Meanwhile, we'd like to thank everybody for their feedback - we know this wouldn't have happened with a game that nobody cared about, and we're just focusing now on delivering a game that lives up to your hopes and expectations.

Thanks for your support!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yeah, that was pretty dumb, if you need a FAQ to understand pre-order bonuses, something is wrong.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Mechanical Apartheid (live-action story background trailer).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

City-hub gameplay demo
Breach game mode - reveal trailer (VR-style hacking)
And apparently they are doing a Deus Ex GO mobile game (similar to Hitman GO, from the look of it).

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Very cool article about how open world the game is:

http://www.gamesradar.com/deus-ex-manki ... objective/

This sound really neat.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

That article just confirmed my plan to pre-order. I love open world :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The game is gold. There would seem to be no obstacles to making the August 23rd release, except one. It's my wife's birthday and we will be on a trip. So I won't seeing the game till at least the following weekend :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Grifman wrote:Very cool article about how open world the game is:

http://www.gamesradar.com/deus-ex-manki ... objective/

This sound really neat.

Oh, very nice! As much as I liked HR, it didn't have a very open world. This seems more a return to original in terms of world design.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

In case you might be tempted, Green Man Gaming has the game on sale to VIPs for 25% off. Not sure how much the discount is if you are not a VIP. I'm probably going to pre-order soon unless I see a red flag.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

What is GMG's VIP?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Victoria Raverna wrote:What is GMG's VIP?
I'm not quite sure. I bought a few games through GMG and then suddenly I'm getting emails saying I'm a VIP. Also, when I look at games on their site, some of them have "VIP" in the upper left corner and (supposedly) I'm getting an extra discount because I'm a VIP. I've posted a question to them to ask what makes me a VIP (not that I'm complaining) and what are the benefits, other than the extra discount.

I did see that if you aren't a VIP you only get a 10% discount. So that's nice, I'm saving an extra $9 USD on the Standard Edition by being a VIP.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

jztemple2 wrote:
Victoria Raverna wrote:What is GMG's VIP?
I'm not quite sure. I bought a few games through GMG and then suddenly I'm getting emails saying I'm a VIP. Also, when I look at games on their site, some of them have "VIP" in the upper left corner and (supposedly) I'm getting an extra discount because I'm a VIP. I've posted a question to them to ask what makes me a VIP (not that I'm complaining) and what are the benefits, other than the extra discount.

I did see that if you aren't a VIP you only get a 10% discount. So that's nice, I'm saving an extra $9 USD on the Standard Edition by being a VIP.
I'm a VIP and like you, I don't understand why I'm a VIP. I thought everyone that have a GMG account is a VIP.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is the answer I got from GMG support:
Hello jztemple,

Thank you very much for your ticket.

You will receive special discounts when signed up to a VIP account, this is totally free to setup, you will see the lower prices when signed in.

If you have any further questions or queries, please reply to this ticket/email.

Kind regards,
Josh

Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service
OK... I don't remember signing up for a VIP account. Maybe you become a VIP if you do have an account. If you don't want to have an account, and just buy from them without registering, then I guess you don't get the additional VIP discount. So, Victoria Raverna, seems you are right, everyone (who has an account) is a VIP! :horse:
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Not to (slightly) derail the thread, but in a replay through Human Revolution, I found a funny little easter egg. Spoiler from the end of the Chinese area:
Spoiler:
The news chick you're trying to kidnap up in the tower is in room 404, but she's not there. It was just a hologram, or an electric file. So technically, she was just a file, not found in 404.
I'm not that smart, so I'm sure a million other people found that, too. Just found it funny.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

jztemple2 wrote:This is the answer I got from GMG support:
Hello jztemple,

Thank you very much for your ticket.

You will receive special discounts when signed up to a VIP account, this is totally free to setup, you will see the lower prices when signed in.

If you have any further questions or queries, please reply to this ticket/email.

Kind regards,
Josh

Green Man Gaming & Playfire
Customer Service
OK... I don't remember signing up for a VIP account. Maybe you become a VIP if you do have an account. If you don't want to have an account, and just buy from them without registering, then I guess you don't get the additional VIP discount. So, Victoria Raverna, seems you are right, everyone (who has an account) is a VIP! :horse:
I just logged in and sho'nuff I see the discount. Who's the master?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Launch trailer.
We were all created equal… But in 2029, after the Aug incident which caused the death of millions, mankind stands divided. The oppression of the mechanically augmented has created a climate of fear and resentment, resulting in an escalation of crime and acts of terror. Amid all the chaos, Adam Jensen goes after the Illuminati, the men and women responsible for tearing the world apart. Armed with a new arsenal of state-of-the-art weapons and augmentations, he must choose the right approach, along with who to trust, in order to unravel a vast worldwide conspiracy.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I won't be back from my trip till the 27th, but I've already pre-ordered, so nothing but positive impressions, OK? :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:I won't be back from my trip till the 27th, but I've already pre-ordered, so nothing but positive impressions, OK? :D
I'll be on it the second it releases (and I get home from work (and the kids are put to bed (and I spend some time with the wife))).

I've watched a few gameplay videos and I am still pretty excited for it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote:
I'll be on it the second it releases (and I get home from work (and the kids are put to bed (and I spend some time with the wife))).

That's my plan as well. I wish I could take the day off, but given the project schedule I'm on, that would be bad.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gbasden wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

That's my plan as well. I wish I could take the day off, but given the project schedule I'm on, that would be bad.
On days like highly-anticipated release days, it's good to be retired, footloose and fancy-free.

It's also pretty good on most of the days in between release days. ;)

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd forgotten that there was a Director's Cut release of Human Revolution, so I'm thinking I'll get that and give it a play through as I don't really remember the base game all that much. If nothing else it will get me ready for this game -which does look good.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:
gbasden wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

On days like highly-anticipated release days, it's good to be retired, footloose and fancy-free.

It's also pretty good on most of the days in between release days. ;)
You know, we really need a dislike button... or maybe a really jealous button or something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Oops, I forgot to embed that comment in <insufferableGloat> markup tags.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The reviews so far are pretty good. PC Gamer UK gave it an 88% and RPS spoke favorable about it. The most negative thing RPS had to say was "it stays pretty close to Human Revolution," which was - admittedly - a positive as much as a negative. I'm excited (although I need to finish DOOM before it comes out)!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GMG just sent my steam key... it's getting real.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Steam preload is live, and weighs in at 19.9 Gbytes.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It looks like a noon pacific time unlock... that's good for my chances of getting some sleep tonight. Those midnight unlocks are hard.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Bad (to me) news from Gaming Trend:
Even tackling all of the side content, I was through my first run in just over a dozen hours.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:Bad (to me) news from Gaming Trend:
Even tackling all of the side content, I was through my first run in just over a dozen hours.
I guess every game can't be of epic length. PC Gamer:
It took me just under 30 hours to finish Mankind Divided, and that included taking the time to do every side mission I could find.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's encouraging. Thanks.

I was playing it either way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Max Peck wrote:
It took me just under 30 hours to finish Mankind Divided, and that included taking the time to do every side mission I could find.
If you average the two playing times it's not a bad length.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

One man's 12 is another man's... well, mine anyway... probably more like 40. :wink:
-mf
AjD

Post by AjD »

$iljanus wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
If you average the two playing times it's not a bad length.
Yeah, something funny is going on... lots of sources are reporting 30-ish hour run times:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun review:
This is a big game, and one that can easily take you 40+ hours to complete if you’re committed to digging at its corners.
Ars Technica review:
DX:MD has a giant campaign worth losing time within. My 30 hours with the game ahead of its launch left me salivating for more
Verge review:
My cautious and exploration-heavy run took around 28 hours
Eurogamer review:
In the course of 35 hours of play...<snip> I came away feeling like I'd got my money's worth in terms of hours
Gamespot review:
spent around 30 hours completing the campaign
Game Watcher review:
It took me 30 hours to finish it
PC Invasion review:
by no means short, it took me 25 hours and I know I didn’t see everything
Polygon review:
There’s a host of story threads presented that are explored over the game’s 30 hours
Telegraph review:
It’s a lengthy game... I played for 30 hours.
...but then bizarrely:

In the Forbes review:
So, imagine my surprise when I did manage to finish the entire game, playing at a leisurely pace, in less than a day and a half. Maybe about 10-12 hours total, even with all the exploring and sidequests.
So, what's up? Is there a weird path you can take in the game that enables you to skip half its content?

And if so, is that a bug -- or a feature? :o Regardless, if true, it sounds like Forbes and Gaming Trend somehow may have only reviewed half the game.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

I heard that there is lots of side content that isn't clearly marked, and if you don't explore and talk to NPCs, you can easily miss it entirely. Perhaps the 10-12 hour crowd only did the content the game held your hand and showed you?
AjD

Post by AjD »

Covenant72 wrote:I heard that there is lots of side content that isn't clearly marked, and if you don't explore and talk to NPCs, you can easily miss it entirely. Perhaps the 10-12 hour crowd only did the content the game held your hand and showed you?
That's what I thought at first, but the two "unintentional speed-run" reviewers claim otherwise.

Gaming Trend:
...and again, Forbes:
Maybe about 10-12 hours total, even with all the exploring and sidequests.
The rest of the reviews confidently claim about 30 hours of gameplay (some even more than that). I know different players have different play styles. But that's a pretty huge time discrepancy. It makes me wonder if there's a path/choice you can take somewhere in the game which skips a whole bunch of content. And perhaps that wasn't intentional?

I suppose we'll eventually find out, now that the game is in the hands of players. On second thought, maybe it's a conspiracy and one of the programmers intended to include a speed-run backdoor!
:horse:
Last edited by AjD on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:It looks like a noon pacific time unlock... that's good for my chances of getting some sleep tonight. Those midnight unlocks are hard.
Sorry, I got my maths wrong. It's noon eastern, 9am pacific. I hope nobody took me at my word.

I am seriously considering a long lunch at home.

My enthusiasm is somewhat hampered by having just started Dragon's Dogma and *really* enjoying that. I almost hate to switch, but I gotta switch... dammit.
Last edited by coopasonic on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

To Covenant's point, how do you know you hit all the side content if it is not obvious that it exists?

Ron's (GamingTrend) steam profile is private so I can't stalk him to see any details. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AjD

Post by AjD »

coopasonic wrote:To Covenant's point, how do you know you hit all the side content if it is not obvious that it exists? :P
I don't think you would know. (Or know for sure, at least.)

But 10-12 hours vs. 30+ hours is a huge time discrepancy. Seems weird. Can't recall a game where that big of a difference was reported by reviewers who claim to have followed the side quests too.
Covenant72

Post by Covenant72 »

No clue... I just remember reading a comment that there is lots of side content that is not "obvious" in the game. It would explain a large discrepancy in playtime if that content was missed.