Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Post by Max Peck »

killbot737 wrote:Just getting started, the end of the Dubai mission threw me for a while since I'm all about stealth. Finally figured it out.

I ran into a weird glitch, at least it seems to be one. I looted a container and then got stuck with a big "0/8 slots remaining message" on the bottom left of my screen. I couldn't move, couldn't do anything! Has anyone seen this? I had to reload from my last save and when I looted that container again it didn't happen.
I was having a similar problem. It hasn't recurred since I disabled the Steam overlay.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Jensen is a mechanized weaponized teetotaler. One beer and he's all "wooooo! I'm druuuuuuunk!" :D
There is no hug button. Sad!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

killbot737 wrote:I ran into a weird glitch, at least it seems to be one. I looted a container and then got stuck with a big "0/8 slots remaining message" on the bottom left of my screen. I couldn't move, couldn't do anything! Has anyone seen this? I had to reload from my last save and when I looted that container again it didn't happen.
I had something similar happen when I first visited my aug doctor and went through the tutorial, I got a message bar stuck on the screen. I had to reload an older save. I recommend that players make a save before doing a tutorial.

Speaking of augs, I'm feeling way out of my depth understanding all the effects of the augs. I did see this guide over at PCGamer so I'm going to go through that before proceeding. I'm beginning to understand why some folks can blow through the game in less than a dozen hours while others take much longer... just sitting here going through all the aug descriptions is taking me quite a while.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

killbot737 wrote:Jensen is a mechanized weaponized teetotaler. One beer and he's all "wooooo! I'm druuuuuuunk!" :D
Seriously. He has some crazy beer goggles with that vision blur.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote:
killbot737 wrote:Jensen is a mechanized weaponized teetotaler. One beer and he's all "wooooo! I'm druuuuuuunk!" :D
Seriously. He has some crazy beer goggles with that vision blur.
Would be nice if you went on a bender and your perception is crap but you totally have that drunken master ability where you just avoid damage and pull off some nice martial arts moves.
Last edited by $iljanus on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
naednek

Post by naednek »

How's the controls? Is it clunky as Human Revolution? Or does it feel like a standard FPS in terms of control
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote:How's the controls? Is it clunky as Human Revolution? Or does it feel like a standard FPS in terms of control
I'm using an X360 controller and the controls seem fine. Of course I also thought that Human Revolution was OK too. There are several control schemes options from which you can choose.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote:
naednek wrote:How's the controls? Is it clunky as Human Revolution? Or does it feel like a standard FPS in terms of control
I'm using an X360 controller and the controls seem fine. Of course I also thought that Human Revolution was OK too. There are several control schemes options from which you can choose.

I should have been specific... PC controls. I didn't think about trying it on the controller... I'll try that this week. I wanted to play and actually finish HR, but the PC controls were killing my enjoyment.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:

I should have been specific... PC controls. I didn't think about trying it on the controller... I'll try that this week. I wanted to play and actually finish HR, but the PC controls were killing my enjoyment.
I've played HR 4 times through with mouse/keyboard and thought it was fine. I'm mostly not having any issues with MD. The iron sights from cover thing irritates me - the white dot is virtually unseeable. That said, if you slap a laser sight or any scope in the gun you go into that view when you toggle right mouse in cover. Once I could afford those for my guns I had no issues.

I'm currently playing diametrically opposed to Coop. I figure Adam just doesn't give a crap after Panchea, so I'm treating this playthrough like an armored tank. With Icarus Dash, the passive armor boost and the armored skin, I can rush in and nuke a room in short order. My body count is through the roof. :)
Last edited by gbasden on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm eight hours in and starting to enjoy it. It is different from the last game in that the world is very open, so you end up wandering down some street, go through a door and soon you are wandering through tunnels and vents and have no idea why, but oddly it's fun. The details of the world are amazing, it's worth poking around every room, hallway and alley just to see what's out there.

I'm sticking to pretty much a stealth style, mostly because I'm such a crappy shot with weapons and with my almost 63 year old reactions I just can't afford dealing with a firefight. Still, I manned up and am playing at the medium difficulty, just to give myself more of a challenge. We'll see how long that lasts.

And after eight hours I've made 75 saves :roll:. It's just the way I roll :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found that the game tops out at 112 saves :roll:. I had to delete some old ones. About the only thing that seems to be slowing me down is finding Praxis kits. I managed to piss off the vendor in my starting apartment building and ended up killing him. I guess that wasn't the smart thing to do :roll:

Eleven hours in and I'm still having fun. I'm finding that I like just wandering around, poking into places and crawling through vents and seeing what on the other side. And the environment is amazing, the developers really just made it so immersive... I find myself just taking in all the details like here (click image to enlarge)

I'm visiting the TF-29 HQ for the first time, which is were the screenie comes from. Pretty amazing place.

I'm having one problem. I can't get into the Neon Rave on the side mission. I'm going to keep trying, but...
Spoiler:
I didn't find a Rave Club card. Is there supposed to be another way in? Or where am I supposed to find the card?
I won't take a look at any answering spoiler till I've given it another go.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

jztemple2 wrote: I'm having one problem. I can't get into the Neon Rave on the side mission. I'm going to keep trying, but...
Spoiler:
I didn't find a Rave Club card. Is there supposed to be another way in? Or where am I supposed to find the card?
The solution:
Spoiler:
Use the computer to have the house AI summon the cleaning service. Then, leave the apartment use the subway to travel somewhere and return. Once back, head back up to the bedroom. The "cleaners" will have left you a gift.
As a word of warning, I've hit a nasty known bug where you can literally be blocked from progressing, with the game crashing every time you need to transition into an area of Prague. So I have to wait for a patch, thankfully it's coming this week.

For the most part, a some of the newer augs are useless. The PEPs for example, is the most useless aug in the game since it does nothing that your weapons or other augs can't do.

Although the TESLA is useful in that it can be upgraded to be a room cleaning, longer ranged stun gun. Unfortunately, it has the problem of temporarily triggering the hostile state, ruining a ghost run.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Is it just me or is hacking much harder in this game?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

killbot737 wrote:Is it just me or is hacking much harder in this game?
No, it's not you. I keep running into challenges where I have to burn through my software programs just to get through. I'm now more careful to keep some multitools with me.
Turtle wrote:As a word of warning, I've hit a nasty known bug where you can literally be blocked from progressing, with the game crashing every time you need to transition into an area of Prague. So I have to wait for a patch, thankfully it's coming this week.
Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for the heads-up.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The issue seems to occur around Side mission S10. So be careful.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Turtle wrote:
jztemple2 wrote: I'm having one problem. I can't get into the Neon Rave on the side mission. I'm going to keep trying, but...
Spoiler:
The solution:
Spoiler:
Use the computer to have the house AI summon the cleaning service. Then, leave the apartment use the subway to travel somewhere and return. Once back, head back up to the bedroom. The "cleaners" will have left you a gift.
Alternatively...
Spoiler:
If you've upgraded the necessary arm augs, there is a dumpster blocking an exhaust duct near the entrance to the rave club. You can move the dumpster out of the way and punch through the duct to gain access. You'll have to make your way through an area with an electrical hazard and get into a ventilation duct without dying in order to proceed.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote:
Turtle wrote:
Spoiler:
The solution:
Spoiler:
Alternatively...
Spoiler:
If you've upgraded the necessary arm augs, there is a dumpster blocking an exhaust duct near the entrance to the rave club. You can move the dumpster out of the way and punch through the duct to gain access. You'll have to make your way through an area with an electrical hazard and get into a ventilation duct without dying in order to proceed.
I had already found the way in mentioned in the last spoiler, but kept dying by shock. I did finally use the other way. I guess I don't feel too bad about needing the spoilers, since this is the first one. Mind you, I've played thirteen hours and I'm feeling like it's early days.

That dumpster you mentioned? I worked around it a different way...
Spoiler:
since I didn't have the arm strength aug yet, I just used a frag grenade :D
One thing that's a bit of a bummer... when I close the game it starts the backup of the save files to Steam, and it's taking a really long time now to complete the backup. I guess I can start deleting old files and reusing files so I keep the number to say only about ten.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:I had already found the way in mentioned in the last spoiler, but kept dying by shock.
I got past it by jumping up on a pipe(?) that is about half way through the room and above the electrical hazard, letting my health regen back to full, then going for the duct.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:About the only thing that seems to be slowing me down is finding Praxis kits. I managed to piss off the vendor in my starting apartment building and ended up killing him. I guess that wasn't the smart thing to do :roll:
The easy way to get Praxis kits is to gain levels. :P Through the whole game I never found myself needing more Praxis. I basically just used them as I needed them.

As far as the hacking being more difficult... it's not trivial this time, but it's not that hard either. There are a few that you need some software to get through unless you get really lucky but once you max the hacking stealth aug, nothing is that hard.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patch build 524.15
We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.2 build 524.15. This patch focusses on critical issues that were reported by users during the week after release.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following fixes are in this patch:
• Fixed a crash during the subway loading scene.
• Fixed issue with loading a saved game while in cover and pressing [SPACE], causing Jensen to vault over cover.
• Fixed crash when leaving for Golem City.
• Fixed issues where the UI was offset at some aspect ratios, such as 21:9.
• Fixed issue where vibration was not working on gamepad.
• Fixed an issue where some keyboard language settings could cause the game to not launch (some users had a workaround by creating a new user account or by changing their keyboard language setting).
• Fixed various issues related to Breach.
• Fixed issues related to Tobii EyeTracking.

Note about performance:
We are seeing people reporting performance issues when playing the game on Very High/Ultra settings with MSAA set to 2x, 4x, or 8x. We would like to emphasize again that these options are very demanding.
We recommend everyone that is running at recommended spec or higher to start with the High Preset and MSAA turned off, and then tweak the options to optimize your experience.

While we expect this patch to be an improvement for everyone, if you do have trouble with this patch and prefer to stay on older versions, we have made a Beta available on Steam, v1.0_build 524.6, v1.0_build 524.7 and v1.1_build 524.10, that can be used to switch back to previous versions.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches as it seems required. We always welcome your feedback!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just an FYI for anyone with performance issues. I use vsync and when I switched from double-buffering to triple buffering my performance was worlds better.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is a funny old game, I'll give it that. I'm at the eighteen hour mark. I was just about to go flying off to the refugee camp with Chicane (I think that's his name) when I decided I'd go back to my old apartment for a last look around. Coming back I ran into the umpteenth "CIVILIAN" I had seen and was going to ignore her; it seems like I never get any decent conversation from any of them. But this one turns out to have a bunch of dialog with branching and new info.

So I decided to have another look around, since I figured that flying off to that camp may cut me off from continuing in my starting area. An hour later I'm wandering down in the sewers dodging flying robot sentries and stumble across what appears to be a whole set of side missions. I would have missed them if I hadn't gone back and searched through the sewers for what felt like the dozenth time. This time with my wall-breaching arm and heavy object moving strength I found a path I hadn't seen before.

In a way, this rather annoys me. Without some way to mark that I'd gone through a path before, other than leaving doors and vent grates open, I'm not really sure if I'm simply going over old ground or seeing something new. I guess that sometimes an open world game can be too open world.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Finished, the game was obviously cut short right around the time it was delayed the first time. There's plots in the game that just disappear by the end and not in a good, conspiratorial way.

That said, I did enjoy what parts they did finish.

Ending discussion:
Spoiler:
So the big reveal is that it's pretty much the same as MGS5. You probably aren't the real Jensen, or if you are, you've been brainwashed to be a sleeper agent to locate Janus. My bet is on some kind of clone or illuminati agent implanted with Jensen's face and memories, considering what the Harvester side quest showed. However, like that Harvester sidequest, this copy Jensen might turn out to want the same as the real Jensen. Although his same lack of neuropozine dependency may mean he's just brainwashed.

Even the main menu continues this idea by juxtaposing two Jensen faces directly opposing each other. I think there was going to be an entire final chapter after London where you meet Janus, shit goes down, and the two Jensen's square off. Heck, the original Adam might be Janus himself.
I really, really hope Sega gets their tech act together and figures out the engine. The game is big, but there's technical issues on this release that just should not have been issues.

The hacking is definitely harder, but I think that has a lot to do with how busy they made the graphics and UI for hacking. It's not so clear where the lines connect and where you're being hacked from once the trace starts.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:This is a funny old game, I'll give it that. I'm at the eighteen hour mark. I was just about to go flying off to the refugee camp with Chicane (I think that's his name) when I decided I'd go back to my old apartment for a last look around. Coming back I ran into the umpteenth "CIVILIAN" I had seen and was going to ignore her; it seems like I never get any decent conversation from any of them. But this one turns out to have a bunch of dialog with branching and new info.

So I decided to have another look around, since I figured that flying off to that camp may cut me off from continuing in my starting area. An hour later I'm wandering down in the sewers dodging flying robot sentries and stumble across what appears to be a whole set of side missions. I would have missed them if I hadn't gone back and searched through the sewers for what felt like the dozenth time. This time with my wall-breaching arm and heavy object moving strength I found a path I hadn't seen before.

In a way, this rather annoys me. Without some way to mark that I'd gone through a path before, other than leaving doors and vent grates open, I'm not really sure if I'm simply going over old ground or seeing something new. I guess that sometimes an open world game can be too open world.
When I got the warning that starting act 3 (not the part you are on now) would disrupt quests in progress, I went through my completed quests and made a checklist. It's convenient that the side missions are numbered so nicely. I had missed 3 side missions (SM01, SM02, SM06). Google helped me locate the starting points for those three. I'm glad I did because I had missed some very good side missions and some of them tie into others later on. One I have no idea how I missed it. The other two were a lot harder to find even when I had instructions.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I'm such an explorer that now I wonder if I've already affected/broken some side missions. I was down exploring the sewers and some "things" happened, but I wasn't involved. There's also a certain office I've obtained access to, where it says it's a restricted zone but nobody's there...

OTOH There was a side mission where I had been to a location once before and there wasn't anyone there, but when I was directed there again the contact was there, and it all seemed to work out like it should have.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've hit kind of a gaming "writer's block" on this game.

I'm 23 hours in and I've just flown back from Golem City. And again I'm looking at a Main mission, a Side mission and a Point of Interest mission. And suddenly I'm feeling like Jensen just wants to go sit in a bar, have a brewsky and watch some European football. And maybe get laid. And maybe get a damn shirt that has some color to it...
AjD

Post by AjD »

jztemple2 wrote:I've hit kind of a gaming "writer's block" on this game.

I'm 23 hours in and I've just flown back from Golem City. And again I'm looking at a Main mission, a Side mission and a Point of Interest mission. And suddenly I'm feeling like Jensen just wants to go sit in a bar, have a brewsky and watch some European football. And maybe get laid. And maybe get a damn shirt that has some color to it...
Ha ha ha ha ha... post of the day for me. :mrgreen:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I went back to the game and spent over an hour on the SM09 All in the Family "finding Domonick" side mission. What a pain in the ass. I finally had to go to the web...
Spoiler:
... to figure out how to get Domonick to that damn storage locker. Adam has enough freaking strength to knock open walls, but he can't sling this guy over his shoulder? Sheesh
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I decided to start a new game because I didn't like the way some of the q's resolved. I got some DLC because of the GMG package I bought. I decided to equip the "elite" pistol because who cares, right?

The fucking thing counts as a different kind of gun when you pick up other pistols! So you know how if you pick up a pistol and you already have one in your inventory it just gives you ammo? Yeah not so much. So now I can't loot pistols without having both guns in my inventory!

Double FU SquEnix for all the DLC bullshit in this game. Although this issue might be on the actual devs this time and not their moneygrubbing overlords.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Too much working to allow much playing, still futzing around in Dubai on the PS4. For some reason I'm having a hard time with the stealth system, it just seems... clumsy to me and not quite as intuitive as other games are / have been. Moving from cover to cover is an issue for me sometimes and I'm still not sure how to 'break' cover as I can get stuck in it which then leads to me getting gunned down. Ah well. Hopefully work will wind down this weekend and I can get some time back in Dubai when I'm not up late and exhausted. :(
-mf
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Whatever key you press to enter cover will take you out I believe
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I have noticed that to get any range on takedowns you have to be in cover. Otherwise it doesn't trigger unless you're standing right next to them. I had been just crouching and every time a guy was on the other side of an obstacle or whatever I'd have to duck walk around next to them and they'd usually notice me.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

IceBear wrote:Whatever key you press to enter cover will take you out I believe
I thought so too but that didn't seem to be the case. I'll give it another shot soon and try to get myself stealth killed. Again. :wink:

Maybe I'll try a different control scheme as well.
-mf
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm using an X360 controller on my PC and have found it works pretty well. You hold the left trigger to change into stealth mode and either press or hold the A button to move to new locations. Releasing the trigger puts you back into first person mode.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's a silly thing, but I love the fact that the game uses my Razer Blackwidow Chroma. It shows my keybindings in red automatically, and when I take the subway, it flashes lines across the keyboard to show movement. It surprised the hell out of me the first time it did it during launch, but I think It's really clever.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's already down to $40 for the Xbox One and PS4 today (Amazon sale) but PC is still full price? That seems reasonable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'll probably break and pick this up at the first sign of a sale. Looking forward to it, but just too many other games I could play out now to justify a full priced purchase.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:It's already down to $40 for the Xbox One and PS4 today (Amazon sale) but PC is still full price? That seems reasonable.
Steam key is $45 on GMG.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

gbasden wrote:It's a silly thing, but I love the fact that the game uses my Razer Blackwidow Chroma. It shows my keybindings in red automatically, and when I take the subway, it flashes lines across the keyboard to show movement. It surprised the hell out of me the first time it did it during launch, but I think It's really clever.
Mine doesn't work well. It lights up random keys and then leaves them lit up when the game quits. It does do the cool cycle thing, but I wish the keys would light up more logically. That said, I'm not particularly happy with my Blackwidow for a number of reasons...
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

baelthazar wrote:
gbasden wrote:It's a silly thing, but I love the fact that the game uses my Razer Blackwidow Chroma. It shows my keybindings in red automatically, and when I take the subway, it flashes lines across the keyboard to show movement. It surprised the hell out of me the first time it did it during launch, but I think It's really clever.
Mine doesn't work well. It lights up random keys and then leaves them lit up when the game quits. It does do the cool cycle thing, but I wish the keys would light up more logically. That said, I'm not particularly happy with my Blackwidow for a number of reasons...
Hmm. I've not had that issue. When I exit the game it reloads my normal lighting schema as I would expect. It seems to dynamically add keys as I play. For instance, I unlocked the short range teleport last night and when I bound it to F2, F2 lit up yellow immediately.