Total War: Warhammer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Stuie

Total War: Warhammer

Post by Stuie »

Guess as the resident Total Fanboy I should start this thread.

Total War: Warhammer was announced today; no release date as of yet, just a trailer.

Funny thing is, I love the Total War series like no other (ok, maybe not as much as Civ but whatever), yet I'm not all that jazzed about a licensed fantasy take on Total War. Guess we shall see what we see.
tgb

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Post by tgb »

Games Workshop has been licensing Warhammer to anyone with 35 cents and a stick of gum in their pocket for a while now. I'm surprised it's taken CA this long to jump on board.

It will be interesting to see how they adapt the TW formula,or if Total War will just be used for branding purposes.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't see this going over well with the diehard fans of the series...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nice video. Im not a fan of the Warhammer fantasy though. I really love the 40k universe myself.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah, if only it was 40k. Still, it's Warhammer, if it's good I'll buy it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

40k has had some good games. I'm glad to see that WH Fantasy may get something decent.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Blackhawk wrote:40k has had some good games. I'm glad to see that WH Fantasy may get something decent.
+1

On PC the last great Warhammer game was Shadow on the Horned Rat, which was what 20 some odd years ago?

Warhammer Quest on mobile was pretty decent. Can't think off hand of any other good Warhammer games. Whereas 40K has had quite a few.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

About damn time. :horse:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stuie wrote:Guess as the resident Total Fanboy I should start this thread.

Total War: Warhammer was announced today; no release date as of yet, just a trailer.

Funny thing is, I love the Total War series like no other (ok, maybe not as much as Civ but whatever), yet I'm not all that jazzed about a licensed fantasy take on Total War. Guess we shall see what we see.
On the other hand, this will probably be my first Total War I buy since the first one (which I loved).

Wait, I bought Medieval Total War, but it's still sitting in a box on the shelf. Yes, I bought physical media.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Wait, did this game come as a surprise to you guys? It was announced a long time ago. This is just the first trailer.

While it's pre-rendered, this trailer at least has value in that it indicates the armies we might see, including Chaos (Tzeentch only, perhaps), Empire, Dwarfs, Undead, and Orcs/Goblins. No sign of my favorite army, Skaven, yet.

I'm very curious about how they'll tackle the turn-based part of the game. I don't see city building or improvements being particularly important (or even existent) in this game, but alliances and smart movement of armies should be vital.
Insert witty comment here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skaven would be fun, but imagine the number of units you could have on the field. The system requirements would be Minimum, Recommended, and Skaven.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've thought for a long time CA should make a fantasy themed Total War game, and making a Warhammer themed one is even better, so I'm definitely in.

From what I've read they are planning on making a trilogy of stand alone Total Warhammer games with each new one adding features and races to play.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I would be much more excited if it was Khorne instead of Tzeentch.

I'll keep my eye on this and wait for reviews before I buy
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

tru1cy wrote:I would be much more excited if it was Khorne instead of Tzeentch.

Nooo. Khorne gets the spotlight in almost every Warhammer game. It’s time for the other gods to shine! Bring on Slaanesh!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Tzeentch is a faaaaaaar more interesting Chaos god than Khorne. Tzeentch is the great corrupter, his capability to see beyond the limits of human perception allowing him to form plans within plans within plans, willingly taking apparent losses for future victory. Khorne is just "Khorne smash!"

In my Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader campaign that I finished last year, a Lord of Change (the big beast you see at the end of the trailer) was accidentally summoned by a psyker onto a huge space station, and the players took it upon themselves to defeat it. This took them several sessions of both politics, preparations and occasional and fucking scary combat. The Lord of Change kept putting temptation in their way, making them (both the players and their characters) honestly second-guess themselves, no longer certain they were fighting for the right cause or the right reasons. In the end, the Lord of Change died as part of Tzeentch's grand plan, only so that it could have a single opportunity to permanently corrupt one of the player characters, which had far-reaching consequences that ended with the entire group committing suicide when they realized what they had become. It was awesome.

If it was a demon of Khorne they encountered, it would just have been a bloodbath, and that's not very interesting.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Well, Khorne is the youngest (correction, Slaanesh is the youngest) of the four, so typically temper tantrums are the youngest thing.

Btw, Tilt, that scenario sounds awesome.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

yde ....I remember Shadow on the Horned Rat!!! I saw in stores and thought the cover art was really cool but back then I had no idea what Warhammer was and just browsing the back of the box I passed...doh.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:

Nooo. Khorne gets the spotlight in almost every Warhammer game. It’s time for the other gods to shine! Bring on Slaanesh!
YEEEESSSSS! SLAANESH!

Although I would also take Nurgle. I love Nurgle, but Slaanesh gives us all love.

Khorne is so boring. I'm also not crazy about Tzeentch, and I imagine his faction would be too "fiddly" with all the spells and such.

EDIT: Also, TILT, I really wish I could play that game with your group. I always wanted to try Rogue Trader, but never had a group willing.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just another thought, it might be cool if you could choose your Chaos God, like you could choose to let the Europeans in or keep the status quo in Shogun - getting unique units from whatever you decide.

I see potential for each faction to have such choices.

Lastly, I really hope they add the Skaven.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

High Elves. Not because they are particularly amazing, but because I'd love to see all of my painted miniatures from the old days stomping around in 3D.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I wonder how well the Total War mechanics would translate to Warhammer. I remember playing a Middle Earth mod for Medieval and getting super bored (shouldn't have picked dwarves, I guess). I'll probably just go with greenskins anyway. Of course, I'll need to upgrade/build a new system at some point to be able to handle all this stuff.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

NickAragua wrote:I wonder how well the Total War mechanics would translate to Warhammer. I remember playing a Middle Earth mod for Medieval and getting super bored (shouldn't have picked dwarves, I guess). I'll probably just go with greenskins anyway. Of course, I'll need to upgrade/build a new system at some point to be able to handle all this stuff.
They translate pretty well, considering we already have a commercial Total War clone set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. The game itself had flaws that kept it from getting those high review scores, but it was still a fun game for Warhammer fans, and it definitely felt like a Total War game without the strategic layer.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

What was that game again? I vaguely remember it, but don't remember the name.

Shadow of the Horned Rat?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Mark of Chaos.
Crux

Post by Crux »

You know what would be amazing? Total War: Mechwarrior. Turn based you jump your forces around to different systems and planet, and the real time is a bunch of mechs and infantry fighting it out in 3d on your screen. It'd be so damned amazing.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Crux wrote:You know what would be amazing? Total War: Mechwarrior. Turn based you jump your forces around to different systems and planet, and the real time is a bunch of mechs and infantry fighting it out in 3d on your screen. It'd be so damned amazing.
That would be awesome! City sieges and urban combat would be a sight to see.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote:
Crux wrote:You know what would be amazing? Total War: Mechwarrior. Turn based you jump your forces around to different systems and planet, and the real time is a bunch of mechs and infantry fighting it out in 3d on your screen. It'd be so damned amazing.
That would be awesome! City sieges and urban combat would be a sight to see.
That would be awesome.

We definitely need another Mech Commander type game.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I would prefer a TBS Mechwarrior, as it was meant to be.

Of course, I would prefer a DECENT TBS Warhammer (particularly Warhammer 40K) game. The recent offering from Slitherine just seems like Panzer Corps with WH40K dressing.
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote:I would prefer a TBS Mechwarrior, as it was meant to be.

Are you listening, GOG?

(Yes, I know they don't have rights to Infocom games, which I believe are all freeware now anyway, but they do have other Westwood titles.)
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

They also posted a rather lengthy explanation as to what in-engine vs. in-game vs. other stuff means. I get the feeling they grew tired of "the game doesn't look like video X" comments. Not sure this will stifle that criticism, but I guess it's a start.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tgb wrote: Enlarge Image
That game made me up my Apple IIe from 64 to 128 KB RAM.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Holman

Post by Holman »

I've never played tabletop Warhammer (or W40K), but I've read the rules, and the core mechanics are actually pretty simple. Seeing the gameplay video makes me wonder if the actions, options, variables, and other features might make the computer version more complex than than the original has ever been. That would be cool.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I saw a Doom Diver and the Foot of Gork. I'm pretty happy.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

First person control of a Doom Diver? Fantastic. :clap:
Toe

Post by Toe »

New gameplay video. Looking pretty awesome imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0BMkKmwB4
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I was literally 30 seconds behind you posting that. :P

Looks great though! Given my love for both Total War and Warhammer this will definitely be a day one game for me.

One little thing they mentioned at one point was that some agents attached to armies will show up as heroes during battle. That's something I always wanted to see in Rome II... my champion units showing up on the battlefield.

Edit: Also just saw a nice new feature where you can hold down the space bar during battle to pull up a menu that lets you turn on and off an assortment of UI options... flags over units, health bars, morale bars, etc.
Lee

Post by Lee »

That looks amazing. The gyrocopters did look to be a bit of a pain to control though. Too much micromanaging to drop their bombs. Are the Total War games pause-and-give-orders?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)