X-Com 2 confirmed...trailer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: X-Com 2 confirmed...trailer

Post by NickAragua »

Zurai wrote:
NickAragua wrote:No way to recover from a total mission loss in X-Com though, especially later on in the game.
There absolutely is. Beaglerush plays Impossible (I think Ironman Impossible but I'm not 100% positive) on Twitch and he's had a few missions where he's lost almost everyone and I believe at least one actual TPK. He still keeps on trucking. Of course he's very, very good at the game, but it's still quite possible.
Yes, if you're the kind of person who plays "Ironman Impossible" and finds it enjoyable, I imagine that there is a way to recover from the loss of a squad full of high-ranking troops.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NickAragua wrote:
Zurai wrote:
NickAragua wrote:No way to recover from a total mission loss in X-Com though, especially later on in the game.
There absolutely is. Beaglerush plays Impossible (I think Ironman Impossible but I'm not 100% positive) on Twitch and he's had a few missions where he's lost almost everyone and I believe at least one actual TPK. He still keeps on trucking. Of course he's very, very good at the game, but it's still quite possible.
Yes, if you're the kind of person who plays "Ironman Impossible" and finds it enjoyable, I imagine that there is a way to recover from the loss of a squad full of high-ranking troops.
It's mostly equipment and strategy that get the kills, not soldiers. A skilled soldier makes the hit more probable - but a Rookie in Titan Armor with a SCOPE and Chitin Armor can take some abuse while it throws down plasma fire. I love to turn on "Not Created Equally" and will hire 10 Rookies in hopes of finding one or two with naturally high Aim stats (75-80). The cap is 80 to start, 55 at the bottom. A "perfect" Heavy Sq. that arrives with 83 Aim is better than a regular Heavy Colonel with 75 Aim in terms of hitting with that first shot. The Colonel will get a second shot if he doesn't move, but that's the biggest difference to me. The only problems I have are moving Snipers from Sq. to Corporal to get Squad Sight so they can hang back. It means a lot of trying to keep them up front and softening foes without destroying them so they can get a pistol shot in or toss a grenade.

... but it really stinks to lose veterans because of their overall power. While the Rookie might shoot okay (since I throw out the ones with poor aim), what he lacks is a lot of defense skills - suppression, cover bonuses, smoke enhancements, lightning reflexes... all my soldiers are given the highest defense possible, making them harder to hit and needing less recovery time by default. Squaddies are going to get cycled into the hospital with frequency.

So while I think a group of 6 "good" Squaddies can take down a Sectopod, I'd probably expect to lose one or two in the process. Not so much with a group of Colonels. I suppose if I played Ironman, I'd pander to my "Good" squaddies and instead of throwing away the bad ones, they'd be on point. :D

I'll find out in my next playthrough. I'm determined to get the Achievement for Classic/Ironman once I'm done with my Impossible/Regular run, and then I have one left. I'm very glad there isn't an achievement for Impossible/Ironman, because I've become a load-a-holic and I really don't care for Impossible difficulty.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Moved back to Feb.

If it makes for a better game and leaves more time for playing everything else, I'm cool with that.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

tgb wrote:Moved back to Feb.

If it makes for a better game and leaves more time for playing everything else, I'm cool with that.
This is one of my most anticipated games, but as you mentioned, November is going to be crowded as hell. I'm still saddened. I just installed Xenonauts last night with the thought that this is just a few months away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Here's a link directly to the delay story in case it moves off the front page.
RPS says wrote:“Hello, Commander. In light of our desire to ensure that the upcoming extraterrestrial reign of terror is a significant improvement on the gloriously successful incursions of 2012, this council of developers has convened to approve the activation of the XCOM 2 Delay Project. You have been chosen to spread word of this initiative. To oversee our first… and last* change to the release date. You may believe that releasing this year would have made all of your planet’s dreams come true but we are looking to the future. We urge you to keep that in mind as you proceed.”
February 5, 2016
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

coopasonic wrote:

This is one of my most anticipated games, but as you mentioned, November is going to be crowded as hell. I'm still saddened. I just installed Xenonauts last night with the thought that this is just a few months away.
I had been toying with reinstalling the Long War mod over the last couple of weeks and firing up a new game, but figured I'd wait since 2 was so close. :grund:

Now with Nobunaga's Ambition just a couple of days away, and Attila:TW sitting in my backlog, I may continue to hold off.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Aaargh, but it just would have gone in my backlog anyway :) I can patiently wait.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's good news; xmas releases are notoriously...unpolished, to be polite. I much prefer companies who list the release date as "when it's ready."
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

looks like it'll be a birthday gift for me now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kraken wrote:That's good news; xmas releases are notoriously...unpolished, to be polite. I much prefer companies who list the release date as "when it's ready."
I always prefer the "Let it bake" option to the "Let's see if this gives everyone food poisoning" approach.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zurai wrote:Beaglerush plays Impossible (I think Ironman Impossible but I'm not 100% positive) on Twitch and he's had a few missions where he's lost almost everyone and I believe at least one actual TPK. He still keeps on trucking. Of course he's very, very good at the game, but it's still quite possible.
I stumbled across his videos today and I have to say he's pretty damn good. He puts a lot of thought into every move and nothing is frivolous. He's going Long War, on Impossible/Ironman I think. Watching him play makes me less fearful of doing a Classic/Ironman run for my next play after Impossible/Normal. It's a matter of patience over rushing. I'll simply have to accept that Meld is a luxury and a MEC is expensive and not required. I rely heavily on my Support MEC units to push forward and provide defensive bonuses to the team as they move up.
Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Watching that link and he just moved up a person to stand in the same square as another person. WTH? Is that something that was added with the expansion? Or part of the mod? I've never seen that.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

TheMix wrote:Watching that link and he just moved up a person to stand in the same square as another person. WTH? Is that something that was added with the expansion? Or part of the mod? I've never seen that.
It's kind of a bug. When someone is using suppression fire, they're technically occupying one square but animate to stand just to the side of it while they lay down suppression fire. This way they don't lose their cover bonuses, but it still looks like they're being badass. Since they're not actually in that square, you can put another soldier there.

On Impossible mode I've become very liberal with explosives. The only thing you lose by blowing up aliens are the Weapon Fragments, and it's really worth it throughout the game. It's a survival mechanic and is absolutely required to make it out alive. I've had more than one mission where my Heavy with Danger Zone, Shredder Rockets, and Rocketeer saves me from a miserable fate - namely triggering three pods right at the beginning of a mission.
Black Lives Matter

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hey, take the XCom talk to the XCom thread! I keeping checking here for news on XCom 2 and all I get is you all talking about the original :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:Hey, take the XCom talk to the XCom thread! I keeping checking here for news on XCom 2 and all I get is you all talking about the original :)
Agreed. Oh and I really liked Enemy Unknown. I played it all the way through more times than I have played through anything else except possibly Jagged Alliance 2.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Grifman wrote:Hey, take the XCom talk to the XCom thread! I keeping checking here for news on XCom 2 and all I get is you all talking about the original :)
PCGamer article, out 4 hours ago. Nothing really new, but a good read on features.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The pre-order is 80 freakin' dollars.

I might have paid that back around 2000 or so, but there is no way I'm getting involved at that price. Hell, I just passed on Enemy Within (again!) and it was only 9 bucks recently.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just got an email from Green Man Gaming and they are offering 23% off for the pre-order. I don't think that's enough to entice me right now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
RMC

Post by RMC »

I'll preorder it. But I am still playing Xcom 1, and everything I have seen on this one has me excited about it. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
tgb

Post by tgb »

If I know Grennman, they'll have it on sale the week of release. No reason to tie up money now. Besides, I just reinstalled Enemy Within and started a new Long War game, so that should take me up to February anyway.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

23% off on GMG with this code currently:
SAVE23-WITHGM-GSEP15
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:The pre-order is 80 freakin' dollars.
The pre-order on Steam is $60. :?

Is $80 a Collector's Edition or something?
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Was 80 bucks when I posted it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.75 US Dollar, so 80 loonies is... $60USD.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.75 US Dollar, so 80 loonies is... $60USD.
Yep, that's what it looks like. Good catch.

For years steam used to report in $US for me. I guess I don't always notice the change.

In the past I could pretend I was paying 5 bucks and if I didn't look too closely on my credit card statement, I could maintain that illusion. Now they're shoving it in my face. If their goal was to keep me from spending money, it's working.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:
coopasonic wrote:1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.75 US Dollar, so 80 loonies is... $60USD.
Yep, that's what it looks like. Good catch.

For years steam used to report in $US for me. I guess I don't always notice the change.

In the past I could pretend I was paying 5 bucks and if I didn't look too closely on my credit card statement, I could maintain that illusion. Now they're shoving it in my face. If their goal was to keep me from spending money, it's working.
It seems to be up to the publisher to set the price in CAD, so in some cases we get a better (or worse) deal than if we paid in USD. Firaxis/2K is taking the current exchange rate and rounding up, while n-Space/Digital Extreme has priced Sword Coast Legends at CAD$40 (or $60 for the deluxe edition), which appears to be the same as it is in USD. Guess which game I bought at full price and which one I'll buy on sale (eventually)... :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

No, Steam explicitly switched to displaying prices in the localized currency. It was an announced policy change. If there are anomalies then I'd say it's just a glitch.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote:No, Steam explicitly switched to displaying prices in the localized currency. It was an announced policy change. If there are anomalies then I'd say it's just a glitch.
Yes, I know that Steam is charging prices in CAD. My point is that while XCOM 2 happens to be priced at about (just over, actually) the exchange rate between USD and CAD, not all games are priced that way. That probably means that the publishers are setting the price in CAD, rather than Steam doing a conversion from the US pricing. If the price was being converted, it would change as the exchange rate fluctuates from day to day and would be an arbitrary-looking value rather than a nice round $79.99. For example, at the moment USD$1 == CAD$1.32580, so a converted price of USD$59.99 would be CAD$79.54 (which is the sort of thing we used to see in our credit card statements back when Steam charged prices in USD).

A couple of other examples: GTAV is CAD$69.99 and USD$59.99; Mad Max is currently CAD$59.99 (it was CAD$66.49 when I bought it on 31 Aug) and USD$59.99.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry about that.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

No worries, I just thought it was worth noting that in some cases we are getting as much as a ~25% discount relative to US prices given the current exchange rates. It's also interesting that Canadian purchases don't appear to be region-locked so far as I can see... :whistle:

Brian

Post by Brian »

Sepiche wrote:23% off on GMG with this code currently:
SAVE23-WITHGM-GSEP15
Since that code is good for 23% off an entire order, I took advantage of it to preorder X-Com 2 and Fallout 4 as well as finally picking up GTA V.

It's just too bad that my PC is incapable of running GTA V and likely won't run Fallout 4 either.

Good thing I'm planning on putting together a new PC next month.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Black Lives Matter

Brian

Post by Brian »

Dang, was gonna post that same video. :)

I really am liking the look of the character creator and weapon modder.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Brian wrote:Dang, was gonna post that same video. :)

I really am liking the look of the character creator and weapon modder.
I'm impressed that they have expanded the customizer as much as they have. When the original X-Com DLC was released, I lol'd at the idea of spending cash so my sniper could be bright pink. I still lol at the idea of shelling out cash just for skins and colours and models (vanity items in a single player game just seems too weird). But now that I have the customization DLC, I use it often. Not as much as many people, but all my support are white, all my assault are red, and my heavies, mecs and snipers are random each game (random as in all my heavies are the same colour, but what that colour is varies between games).

Customizing your soldiers adds a ton of visual appeal and emotional attachment to the units that was completely missing before. And while I don't need any of those things (the game is fantastic already) they certainly put the cherry on top.

So the X-Com 2 customizations seem to be taking this to a whole other level, and I think that's pretty cool.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I do much the same thing.

Heavy are red, sniper is black, medic is white, support is orange, and I like to make my rookies a light blue.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

unable to contain anticipation... I was happy it was pushed back when I was anticipating so many games, but now I need it. Now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Red shirt rookies for me.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ha! Great minds think alike.... (and so do we!).

My snipers are black.
My support are white.
My assault are green (mostly).
My heavies are red.

I think I also went with a blue for my rookies.

The named additions were usually something different. The two heavies ended up being pinkish on the last run.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

GMG still has 23% off so I ordered XCOM2 today.

My color scheme most of the time:
Red=Medics
Purple=Heavy
Yellow or White=Snipers
Assault=Green
Rookie=No color for first mission then Blue until they advance a rank in which they get the color above
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

GMG is legit, but don't hold your breath for release day keys. They buy them in bulk (unless they state they are an authorized distributor), so if the demand is high, it may take a few days. They will refund you if you email them though. I had that issue with Battlefront. I ended up buying it even cheaper from Origin Mexico. :D