X-Com 2 confirmed...trailer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

X-Com 2 confirmed...trailer

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/01/ ... -ign-first
AdventFuture.org. On it, a supposedly utopian near-future government called the Advent Administration offered a better life for citizens through genetic enhancement, while hackers subversively replaced text and images revealing that Advent isn’t as benevolent as it seems
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Re: X-Com 2 confirmed...trailer

Post by coopasonic »

Instant "In"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

So it *was* a new X-Com. Strange though, since the focus of the website was on a corporation. I'm guessing that this will have an X-Com apocalypse story of human corporations being secretly influenced and run by extraterrestrial overlords. I hope to see mutating humans and other fun design elements.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Looks great, and I'm sure to be "in" as well, but none of it really makes sense. Even with just today's technology we could find an underground base that was spewing forth flying troop carriers, and with the amount of psych power demonstrated by the aliens in #1 they shouldn't have any trouble identifying trouble-makers entering a populated area. Also, it seemed out of place to have a convenient dark alley right smack in the middle of an otherwise well-lit, newly made, well-monitored city.

Just nit-picking, I'm glad they are making the game. I wonder why PC exclusive?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The trailer wasn't that great, but I'll be in my bunk anyway.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I was going to post something snarky about holding off after Civ V and Civ:BE, but who am I kidding?

Day One for sure.

Is Jake Solomon still at Firaxis, and is this his baby? That would seal the deal.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The IGN article says yes. I'm not familiar with the guy's other work but his work on Enemy Unknown/Within was phenomenal, so I trust his work on the sequel without reservation.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'd buy it on release day at full price even if it was just a shitty underwater re-skin.
Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

NickAragua wrote:The IGN article says yes. I'm not familiar with the guy's other work but his work on Enemy Unknown/Within was phenomenal, so I trust his work on the sequel without reservation.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'd buy it on release day at full price even if it was just a shitty underwater re-skin.
I wanted so bad to like that game when it came out, but the lobsterman hiding in a corner on the penultimate level finally did me in. Took me what seemed like hours to find him. I played the final level and then never went back. Terror from the Deep indeed.

Anyway, I still have to play the Enemy Within add-on... so I can wait for XCOM 2. I'm sure I'll jump onboard though, especially if Jake Solomon is leading the effort again. He seems to really care.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm encouraged that the press release isn't trying to trumpet multiplayer. For XCOM, it would be interesting to have some TBS tactical MP, but completely ancillary to the primary game. The fact that they aren't blasting anything about trying to shoehorn MP in is a very good thing, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

procedurally generated maps
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

But I won the freaking war! What a retcon! :)

Looks great, I'm interested what changes they can bring to their prior version of XCom. What's really cool is that the original sold enough to warrant a sequel. That's good news for TB tactical gameplay.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote:But I won the freaking war! What a retcon! :)

Looks great, I'm interested what changes they can bring to their prior version of XCom. What's really cool is that the original sold enough to warrant a sequel. That's good news for TB tactical gameplay.
That was just a simulation. You never finished the Long War ;)

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Stuie wrote:
NickAragua wrote:The IGN article says yes. I'm not familiar with the guy's other work but his work on Enemy Unknown/Within was phenomenal, so I trust his work on the sequel without reservation.

I wanted so bad to like that game when it came out, but the lobsterman hiding in a corner on the penultimate level finally did me in. Took me what seemed like hours to find him. I played the final level and then never went back. Terror from the Deep indeed.

Anyway, I still have to play the Enemy Within add-on... so I can wait for XCOM 2. I'm sure I'll jump onboard though, especially if Jake Solomon is leading the effort again. He seems to really care.
In Terror from the Deep there was ALWAYS a Lobsterman hiding in the corner. In. Every. Level. This is why I never finished the game.

So, we apparently lost the XCOM war and now the aliens have set up a false utopian New World Order. I have always thought that there needed to be a game where you played the "resistance" and used covert ops and mobility to fight a much larger power. So this looks like a Day One!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:Instant "In"
Ditto.

Nothing says defending earth from an alien invasion like a giant sword strapped to your back.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

X Com (the reboot) was one of those rare games that I played a second time, when Enemy Within was released. As long as the same core group of developers are working on this I'll be glad to throw my money at the screen when it's time to buy.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Count me in. I've played X-Com/Enemy Within all the way through four times now.

I'd play a fifth time to get the "Played from each starting location" achievement but I can't remember which one of the locations I haven't played yet. :oops:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If I play again, it will be with the Long War mod.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Brian wrote:Count me in. I've played X-Com/Enemy Within all the way through four times now.

I'd play a fifth time to get the "Played from each starting location" achievement but I can't remember which one of the locations I haven't played yet. :oops:
It says "Played" and not "Won"? Sounds like it would be about 15 minutes worth of work.

*Edit: Nope. "Win the game from each of the 5 starting locations."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Brian

Post by Brian »

It's either Europe or North America.

I think.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Besides, I just started Skyrim so that'll keep me busy for a while.

(I bought it a couple years back on a Steam sale, played it through the escape from the execution/dragon and just never went back to it.)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Someone needs to make a "keep track of which continents we've won from" mod.

As for TFTD, I think I managed to power through it once. Maybe twice? Whatever, I had a lot of time on my hands as a teenager. Those lobstermen always hid in one or two specific corners (that looked like alien changing rooms). Also, you could kind of spot them if you moved around a little with the motion tracker.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Why were lobstermen such cowards?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had more fun with the other Xcom game than this type one. But years ago it would have been different. Then again I am having more fun with the tablet game. The touch screen interface is made for this type game.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Why were lobstermen such cowards?
They were probably afraid of the slow, squishy humans with little pop guns that could barely dent their carapace.

That and the level design and AI pathfinding were pretty awful.
Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I equipped all my men with drawn butter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Now I'm tempted to reinstall EW and the Long War mod just to get my chops back by November.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Because half my guys were equipped with industrial drills.

That's one aspect of TFTD I liked. Melee combat.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I'll be buying day one as well. I played through vanilla, then played through again with the expansion. I want more!
Brian

Post by Brian »

GreenGoo wrote:
And some lemon butter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote:
procedurally generated maps
Oh HELL yeah!

I played the first one three times. The scripted ending made even three games seem like a lot. I don't mind if the story always ends the same way, but I do mind that the map and enemies are always exactly the same. Major win if they can add enough variability to the ending to make it worth replaying. Heck, even just having 3 or 4 alternate scripts would do the trick.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

In for sure, but a bit bummed that it is PC only. I'm sure they will take full advantage of the strengths of making it PC only and that's good. While I have a great PC gaming rig I prefer to game on my Xbox one for a variety of reasons (mostly comfort to be honest) and only use my PC for PC exclusives.

Despite wishing it was multi-platform I do look forward to playing this.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Day 1 purchase for me to. Still find myself firing up Xcom when no other game appeals to me. Looking forward to it. I tried Long War a few times, but its way too long. I like the character class designs in em though.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:

I dislike it when games set at modern or futuristic technology levels have melee combat as a widely viable tactic. There's a reason why melee combat is generally not a thing in modern warfare - you can't win if the other guy can kill you from 50 feet while you have to run that distance before you can kill them. It's not a big deal, it's just something that disrupts immersion a bit for me.

I did like it when a villain in the original Deus Ex game drew a vibro-sword on me, I promptly shot her in the face, and she died. That's how your typical ranged-melee conflict should resolve itself.

The one exception is lightsabers, because The Force.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

I dislike it when games set at modern or futuristic technology levels have melee combat as a widely viable tactic.

And I'm the opposite. I want melee combat as much as possible. I want magic melee combat, with backflips, joint locks, pressure points, leg sweeps, etc, etc.

I'm playing Arkham City right now and I'm in awe at how many animations they've put into the game. I'm still finding new ones depending on how the enemy is positioned/attacking.

In TFTD, I'm just happy that the game rewards me with massive damage if I manage to tactically get my guys in range for a HTH attack.

After playing TFTD, going back to the original X-com, all my scouts had stun sticks instead of ranged weapons. A stun stick is a devastating weapon in the early game. I often had to throw out tons of live aliens because my alien containment building took too long to finish.

Melee combat for the win!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

GreenGoo wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

I dislike it when games set at modern or futuristic technology levels have melee combat as a widely viable tactic.

And I'm the opposite. I want melee combat as much as possible. I want magic melee combat, with backflips, joint locks, pressure points, leg sweeps, etc, etc.

I'm playing Arkham City right now and I'm in awe at how many animations they've put into the game. I'm still finding new ones depending on how the enemy is positioned/attacking.

In TFTD, I'm just happy that the game rewards me with massive damage if I manage to tactically get my guys in range for a HTH attack.

After playing TFTD, going back to the original X-com, all my scouts had stun sticks instead of ranged weapons. A stun stick is a devastating weapon in the early game. I often had to throw out tons of live aliens because my alien containment building took too long to finish.

Melee combat for the win!
Starship Troopers wrote:"If you load a mudfoot down with a lot of gadgets that he has to watch, someone a lot more simply equipped — say with a stone ax — will sneak up and bash his head in while he is trying to read a vernier."
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

After watching the trailer, I will probably buy XCOM 2 on the day it is released.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

In. So completely in.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Freyland wrote:Looks great, and I'm sure to be "in" as well, but none of it really makes sense. Even with just today's technology we could find an underground base that was spewing forth flying troop carriers, and with the amount of psych power demonstrated by the aliens in #1 they shouldn't have any trouble identifying trouble-makers entering a populated area. Also, it seemed out of place to have a convenient dark alley right smack in the middle of an otherwise well-lit, newly made, well-monitored city.

Just nit-picking, I'm glad they are making the game. I wonder why PC exclusive?
That was my thinking as well. If someone has complete control of space, there is no way a troop ship is flying around and isn't going to spotted and tracked back to base. And that flying base should be a sitting duck.

However, it is Science Fiction so you could come up with some handwavy stealth technology.