Re: [Kickstarter] Bard's Tale IV by inXile

Post by IceBear »

And Chris Avellone just joined the team
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

IceBear wrote:And Chris Avellone just joined the team
Well, not yet. It's at $1.9M, which they are still far, far away from. Will be interesting to see how the final push plays out, given that this campaign's middle has been... weak.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah sorry about that. I remember the thread speculating on his future and I skimmed the email too quickly in my haste to post
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

IceBear wrote:Yeah sorry about that. I remember the thread speculating on his future and I skimmed the email too quickly in my haste to post
I have a feeling they'll hit the goal; Kicktraq has them getting right near 1.9M, and I think that was a good one to pick to try to push slightly above. Just not a guarantee yet.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

IceBear wrote:Yeah sorry about that. I remember the thread speculating on his future and I skimmed the email too quickly in my haste to post
Well the creator of this thread is about to get an earful from the creator of that thread thanks to you.

I wish you could get something special for sending them a picture (with a newspaper to verify time/date) of your original copy of the game. If I knew of a good way to display my old C64 sleeves, I'd do it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

T-7 hours, it's sitting at just shy of $1.5M on KS, and a bit over $1.5M including PayPal. Doesn't look like they'll hit their final stretch goal (Avellone at $1.9M), but I think this project was pretty light on the details so I'm not too surprised. I'm backing at the lowest game-included level (and in large part due to the 'free' Wasteland 2 copy I'll receive with that), and I think there's a bit more of a leap of faith required on this one than there was on, say, Pillars or Torment.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am a little bit disappointed that it didn't fare better, but I have to agree, details were light and/or tricksy, given the "in engine" trailer shenanigans.

Disappointed Avellone won't be on board as well. Maybe BT is too far back for many gamers to plunk down for a remake.

Ohhhh, I'm old! :character-oldtimer:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dammit, I just failed my Wisdom save. In at the $50 All Downloadable Superpack level... :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

ALRIGHT! :P A fellow sucker.

Also, THREE MINUTES
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Zaxxon wrote:T-7 hours, it's sitting at just shy of $1.5M on KS, and a bit over $1.5M including PayPal. Doesn't look like they'll hit their final stretch goal (Avellone at $1.9M), but I think this project was pretty light on the details so I'm not too surprised. I'm backing at the lowest game-included level (and in large part due to the 'free' Wasteland 2 copy I'll receive with that), and I think there's a bit more of a leap of faith required on this one than there was on, say, Pillars or Torment.
I missed the Wasteland 2 copy. I thought that was at the $75 level, no?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

noxiousdog wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:T-7 hours, it's sitting at just shy of $1.5M on KS, and a bit over $1.5M including PayPal. Doesn't look like they'll hit their final stretch goal (Avellone at $1.9M), but I think this project was pretty light on the details so I'm not too surprised. I'm backing at the lowest game-included level (and in large part due to the 'free' Wasteland 2 copy I'll receive with that), and I think there's a bit more of a leap of faith required on this one than there was on, say, Pillars or Torment.
I missed the Wasteland 2 copy. I thought that was at the $75 level, no?
Anyone who backed in the first 48 hours automagically gets a copy of Wasteland or Witcher/Witcher 2.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Zaxxon wrote:Anyone who backed in the first 48 hours automagically gets a copy of Wasteland 2 or Witcher/Witcher 2.
Which I happened to do in spite of already owning all of those games. I'm sure I'll end up putting the key up here for grabs when released. :D
-mf
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Combat video Looks good so far, imo.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"Certain things have come to light."

Q: Will it be possible to create your full party?
A: Yes, though not all at once. You start off with one character, and you'll be able to swap that one out during the introduction if you wish. Over the course of the game, you'll be able to grow your party up to six.

Q: Do enemies level scale in BT4?
A: Like the original, enemies don't scale. We set the level and difficulty of the enemy when we place them in the world. So you could come back to an older area and wreck shop because you're much higher level, or you could go into a higher level area and get your face stomped.

Q: The AP system shown in the alpha seems to be favor smaller parties. Is it still worth bringing more party members?
A: More characters is generally always better (except in a few rare circumstances), as it provides more HP on the battlefield to soak attacks, more abilities to chose from, and more people in the right place at the right time to perform key plays in combat.

Also, they ditched the initial dev team they picked to remaster the originals since they were taking too long, and are now using Krome Studios.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Interesting. I backed this one, so I get the emails, but I seemed to miss these details.

I'm very happy to hear that the enemies don't scale. I hate that trend in gaming.

The party size details aren't a big deal to me. I'm betting there's some (a lot of) people bothered that it's not the same standard 6 member group as the originals, but I'm personally ok with it, as long as it's fun. Definitely different though.
KDH

Post by KDH »

This video offers a demo walkthrough for The Bard's Tale 4: Barrows Deep, inXile Entertainment's upcoming dungeon crawler sequel. Word is: "Narrated with dramatic flair by Creative Director David Rogers, this sprawling look at the upcoming first-person dungeon-crawler RPG offers just a glimpse of the vast world of tactical action, puzzles, quests, and choices fans can expect when the game launches later this year on Windows PC, Mac, Linux, and consoles." inXile also announces the relaunch of The Bard's Tale Website:

www.bardstale.com
Spoiler:
Ain't nobody got time for that
Jag

Post by Jag »

Looks fun. Can't wait.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Interesting. It looks like the only thing "Bard's Tale" that's left about the game is the name. Combat looks to have been greatly simplified and streamlined since the kickstarter. Millennials, I guess.

I'm glad I didn't back it and decided to wait and see how it turned out. Their previous few games have not done much for my confidence that they can deliver something good.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I think there's some kid on your lawn.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

ColdSteel wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm Interesting. It looks like the only thing "Bard's Tale" that's left about the game is the name. Combat looks to have been greatly simplified and streamlined since the kickstarter. Snake People, I guess.
Thalsa Doom, bitches!
There is no hug button. Sad!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 pm I think there's some kid on your lawn.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Looks great!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

For those who feel that there's not enough Bard's Tale in Bard's Tale IV, the first installment in the remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy has been released.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:08 pm For those who feel that there's not enough Bard's Tale in Bard's Tale IV, the first installment in the remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy has been released.
I am on that boat but not writing the game off yet but will be checking out the remastered.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

The Bard's Tale back in the 80's was, as the kids (used to?) say, my jam. I cherished it and played the hell out of it. I even wrote a letter to the creator sharing my own tales of the unknown. That said, over the years I've tried to play either the emulated versions or the one previous remaster (from 2004 I think), but I was never able to really get in to them. Mostly due to the pains involved with those old time games.

So, I didn't have high hopes for the new remaster. Well, after a couple of hours of playing (which is about 1.5 hours longer than I ever got in the emulated or previous version), I think they did this right. They took away a lot of the pain points. You can save anywhere at any time for instance, and there is an automapper feature too. I'm up to level 4, and about to dive back into the sewers.
-something witty-
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Good to hear! I was ambivalent about the remasters, but I thought the screen shots looked shiny, and I hoped the automap would help. I just redeemed my key tonight, so I'll probably give it a go soon.

And for the record, I'm looking forward to trying BTIV too. Between the two projects, I'll probably get my Kickstarter money's worth.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

The nostalgia is thick on this one. Put in a couple of hours today and working on the 1st level of the sewers right now. Fantastic remaster so far. Automap + tooltips :wub:
morlac

Post by morlac »

BT was my second taste of RPG's after Wizardry and it was awesome. I was house sitting for a neighbor and may or may not have overwritten his saves when rolling up my own party. Once I realized what I had done I forced myself to play it for 10 hours a day until they got back in town. He was pissed at first but then realized I was about twice as far through the game as him and made me help him restart and catch up. Well, right after we deleted my saves :) good times!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Cortilian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 pm The nostalgia is thick on this one. Put in a couple of hours today and working on the 1st level of the sewers right now. Fantastic remaster so far. Automap + tooltips :wub:
Yeah, this is how a remaster should be done. Leave the bulk of the game intact, warts and all, but add quality of life improvements like saving, mouse controls, improved graphics, and automapping.

I only ever played Bard's Tale 1 as a kid and never got very far, but enjoying playing it again and looking forward to trying out II & III as well once they come out.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:43 am
Cortilian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 pm The nostalgia is thick on this one. Put in a couple of hours today and working on the 1st level of the sewers right now. Fantastic remaster so far. Automap + tooltips :wub:
Yeah, this is how a remaster should be done. Leave the bulk of the game intact, warts and all, but add quality of life improvements like saving, mouse controls, improved graphics, and automapping.

I only ever played Bard's Tale 1 as a kid and never got very far, but enjoying playing it again and looking forward to trying out II & III as well once they come out.
I couldn't agree more. Bard's Tale I was my 3rd 'real' game I ever played on my C-64. The first two were Questron and Ultima III. So yeah, I have a ton of fond memories of this game. I almost quit in one of the towers but ended up toughing it out.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

By the by... looks like I forgot I'm also due a Steam key for the remastered 1-3 from backing The Bard's Tale 4. Anyone interested in a free copy just quote me here and I'll PM it to you. First come, first served!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Your chatter got me to check out the remaster with mild interest as, like many of you, BT1 was one of my first real RPGs... after seeing some footage, I think I'll leave this one in the memory locker.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm By the by... looks like I forgot I'm also due a Steam key for the remastered 1-3 from backing The Bard's Tale 4. Anyone interested in a free copy just quote me here and I'll PM it to you. First come, first served!
I'm very much interested. Thanks!! :D

Edit: And got it. Thanks again!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

A few random tips for anyone brave enough to try Bard's Tale in it's old school glory:
(New feature) - 'm' will bring up a small minimap in the first person window
(New feature) - 'j' will bring up a journal with a complete area map
(New feature) - You can hit escape, then click save to save the game anywhere
- Even if you roll a new party, don't delete the bard that starts out in the adventurer's guild... add him to your party, transfer his fire horn to someone else, and then add your bard back to the party and give him the fire horn. It's an easter egg from the original game that you had access to a good instrument at the start
- After building your party, leave the guild hall, turn left, and move north a few spaces until you see the shoppe on your right. You'll need to kit your new characters out before you can do anything... just hope you don't get a tough encounter before you can get into the shoppe!
- Nighttime is more dangerous when walking around the city, enter then leave the adventurers guild to sleep until dawn
- The only ways to heal are via spells or temples
- Roscoe's energy emporium is the only way to get spell energy back besides just waiting
- Explore all the houses you can... many have nothing, but some have special buildings, all have a chance of giving a random encounter, and the first time you visit some you'll get an item
- The samurai statue south of your starting location is the weakest of the statues. You should be able to defeat it fairly early on (and it gives access to the first dungeon)
- Be very wary of poison until you have a magician with level 4 spells. Poison never goes away unless cured, and until you get the cure spell you can only get it cured by paying 800 gold in a temple
- To speed up grinding, find two houses with doors right across the street from each other, look at one door then start walking forward. When you leave the house you'll be pointing at the house across the street, so by holding 'w' you can quickly go from room to room triggering encounter chances
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Nice tips - I had been looking for the full map, but was too busy enjoying playing and was getting by with the first person mini-map.

One other one to go with your Fire Horn one. Inventory and gold is now 'global' vs being tied to each character. So, to get a bit more starting cash and equipment, load up the pre-rolled "A Team" and un-equip all the gear on each person. Then you can kick them all out of the party, roll your own characters and use that gear and/or sell what's left.
-something witty-
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Damn you. Bought.

I remember arguing with friends over Ultima IV or The Bard's Tale being the better experience. My friend and I would come up with insults during class, he'd draw Ultima being shot by the bard, etc. Good times...good times.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Wouldn't the catacombs be the "first" dungeon? Or easier than beating the samurai statue, I'd think.

I was going to throw out the premade party equipment tip, but infinitelurker beat me to it.

The mini map/journal map is a little tiny for my eyes. Anyone found a way to zoom or enlarge?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Baroquen wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm Wouldn't the catacombs be the "first" dungeon? Or easier than beating the samurai statue, I'd think.
Not an expert, but I think the general start is: town, wine cellar, sewers, catacombs.

That said I think you can, with some risk, hit the first level of the catacombs early and get some nice loot drops.

Edit: Yeah, just checked the wiki, and there's some fairly nasty stuff that spawns on even the first level of the catacombs.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 pm
Baroquen wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm Wouldn't the catacombs be the "first" dungeon? Or easier than beating the samurai statue, I'd think.
Not an expert, but I think the general start is: town, wine cellar, sewers, catacombs.

That said I think you can, with some risk, hit the first level of the catacombs early and get some nice loot drops.

Edit: Yeah, just checked the wiki, and there's some fairly nasty stuff that spawns on even the first level of the catacombs.
Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I'm just fiddling in town so far, and will definitely have to read up again, before getting too deep into the dungeons.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm Even if you roll a new party, don't delete the bard that starts out in the adventurer's guild... add him to your party, transfer his fire horn to someone else, and then add your bard back to the party and give him the fire horn. It's an easter egg from the original game that you had access to a good instrument at the start
Thanks for this tip. I'd been running back to the inn after every fight to take a drink. I think I remember it has limited uses though, right? Also, I don't see any way to transfer equipment to a character other than them equipping it? It seems to be a shared inventory system. I last played this 40 years ago in the 80s so my memory of it is pretty fuzzy now.