ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

Post by Paingod »

I never really had any issue with fertilizer. I mean, even "Medium" crap provides a high value, and you can stack up several for use in the garden plot. I just never used anything smaller than Medium. My gardens generally maintained over 40,000 fertilizer value and just needed occasional refreshes... but I do that anytime I come home. Tend the animals, refresh their food, removed spoiled goods, store them on the Scorpions, repair tools, and restock gardens... then I'm off for another hour or more into the wilds. I haven't even seen a dung beetle, but I did try a compost bin for a while and thought that it was a neat idea but completely useless unless I had five of them working at the same time. With a couple Large animals producing poop, gardening was even easier.

I scaled to 0.6 difficulty last night and went back to the Half-Burned Island to watch the chaos, and maybe snag a higher level Scorpion or acquire my first Sabertooth. I freakin' love flying and watching the world below from safety. Initially, everything was really low level - like 1-10 - except the larger predators that kept killing them. Those were still 10-40. Then there was a shift. Suddenly prey animals were 1-92 and low-level predators started dying and coming back as 1-92's as well. So the island has rebalanced, and I found a perfect Sabertooth (L92) and snatched it up, flew back to Tropical North Island (Dilos are the worst threat there), dropped it off, and then captured it. It's a magnificent beast - after a few levels, it's up to 250% damage and over 1000 health with 375 Oxygen and 420 Stamina. I put her to good use and destroyed the lagoon's Trilobyte population, harvesting 70 Silica Pearls. If I get a few more, I'll be able to make that Quetzal saddle I've been after. She also made short work of the Megalodons in the lagoon, and mauled every fish for additional experience.
Kelan wrote:so I can get a Rex sometime
At 130% movement and 200 Stamina, I've been able to easily outrun any Rex I see on foot - which makes capturing them almost trivial. I think you can outrun them at Level 1 - but you won't have the tools to take them down. With the Crossbow, it's pretty easy - aggro the Rex, run ahead, turn around, pluck its face, reload, run away, turn around... kite it on foot. The only thing you need to really be sure of is that you've got enough distance to shoot & reload before it gets to you. The reload slows your movement, and you need to be able to run!

Congrats on the Ankylo's, too - awesome, awesome miners and very durable mounts to get you to the resources.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Good point on the Rex. I want a batch of Scorpo eggs for kibble, though, so that I can keep as many levels as I can on my tame and to make it faster as I don't tend to have a long time to play at a time lately.

I have never tamed a Quetzal myself and plan to try that sometime in the near future. I always had my buddy give me a fertilized egg to hatch one before :). I have a scorp, but still need an Argent to give it a go sometime.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'd like to go Argent hunting soon on Fret's server. He built a hunting blind on the NE corner of the half-burnt island (IIRC). That's my next big goal. In the meantime, I need to work on my base and boat.

Re Fertilizer: Phiomias produce large feces in comically large amounts if force fed stimberries. Its the sort of display that will make the 8-year-old in you dissolve into giggles.

Kelan - which island are you on now, that has sabers and argents in the south?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kelan wrote:Good point on the Rex. I want a batch of Scorpo eggs for kibble, though, so that I can keep as many levels as I can on my tame and to make it faster as I don't tend to have a long time to play at a time lately.
Are you on single player or multiplayer? It was suggested to me, as a single player, that I could jack up the capture multiplier to speed up taming - and mine is currently set at 8.0x normal speed. At most when I tame something, I get maybe 1-3 levels from feeding regular meats/berries. The biggest losses come from any additional damage done - it can be hard to protect a KO'd critter from other predators and even a light tap will knock levels off the tame. It doesn't make taming trivial, but it does make it more sane since I don't have 8 hours to tame something - but I might have 1 hour.

As an example, the Wiki Page for Sabertooth Tigers suggests that I'd need to use 21 Tranq arrows to KO a level 92 cat. I used maybe 12-15, but had a good number of head shots mixed in with body shots. Head shots generally do 2x Damage & Tranq power, 3x on some flying species. When it went down, it had lost about 1/4 of it's health and after eating one Raw Meat I was at a taming effectiveness of about 95% with +44 levels or somewhere thereabouts. By the time the tame was complete, it still gained 42 levels. I was okay with that. I had to stand guard for some time and only needed to use maybe 5 Narcotics, not the 196 the wiki page suggests.
Kelan wrote:I have never tamed a Quetzal myself and plan to try that sometime in the near future. I always had my buddy give me a fertilized egg to hatch one before :). I have a scorp, but still need an Argent to give it a go sometime.
It was an ordeal :) I started by capturing a "throw away" Scorpion because I didn't want to risk my long-time pets. I set it to "Attack my Target" and picked it up with the Argent. Then I had to fly out over the Half-Burned Island's perimiter until I found my Level 2 Quetzal. Using the Spyglass, I whistled "All Attack My Target" (period button). From there, the Scorpion knew exactly what I wanted to do. The rest was up to me and my Argent. I had to keep trying to move the Scorpion up to the Quetzal's neck to give it a shot, and then chase the thing when it sprinted away. 10 seconds later, it'd slow down and I'd repeat my move. I had to 'herd' the Quetzal towards land to avoid it dropping into the ocean, worried that each hit was going to end the fight badly. Once I had it over a jungle, the fight only got harder. I had to land maybe 4 times to recover Stamina on the Argent, and each time I lost sight of the Quetzal. The first time I landed, my Scorpion even took the initiative of running after the Quetzal and right over a cliff into the dense underbrush below. I had to fly down, find him, scoop him up, and then get back over the canopy to locate my prey. Once I even completely lost it in the canopy and only luck brought it back out elsewhere.

Overall, it was a very tense time and took a lot of work. It could have ended very poorly and I would have had to start over. :( Even when it was on the ground, I discovered I was ill-prepared in terms of Narcotics and had to run around gathering berries to supplement the 90 I brought with me. I probably ended up feeding it 50 hand-picked berries and 90 narcotics and scraped by the tame with about 15% of the torpor left - for a Level 2 Quetzal! :shock: I didn't have any Kibble ready, either, so that was all with regular ol' Raw Meat.

If I had to do it over, I'd want Rex Kibble (I even have a number of eggs in storage right now), a mountain of Stimulants for my mount, a massive stockpile of Narcotics for the Quetzal, and a Scorpion that was as high a level as I could get - as their sting scales up, so does the venom... it'd still be a major undertaking. Now that I have one, though, I've read that it's just easier to get to level 80, build the platform on your existing Quetzal, make a taming box on that, then simply maneuver up around a Wild one and dismount from your bird - effectively trapping the Wild Quetzal in the box and taming it at your leisure while hovering in mid-air.

I've thought about it, too, and think I'm going to skip to 1.0 difficulty, too. 0.6 was very workable - but the thought of going back out and re-taming everything over again and again is daunting. I'd rather skip the line and go right to the end :wink:
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

PG - a taming trick - please note that the taming effectiveness doesn't drop until you start feeding the animal. You can just give it narcotics to keep it under and the bonus won't be affected. Once you start the taming process by feeding it, it will lose effectiveness over time and also a bit every time it eats.

So what you do is starve the critter down while keeping it unconscious. Then you feed it a stack and it tames all at once and loses far fewer levels since it only loses from eating and not from waiting to be hungry. this won't make it faster, since hunger accumulates at a fixed rate and it will only eat so much over time. But, it does result in more bonus levels. Also, in Primitive+, raw ribs work about 2/3 as well as prime meat for carnivores - and they don't spoil nearly as fast. So Kibble isn't absolutely necessary as long as you're willing to use narcotics and starve it down.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I had read about starvation taming when I was looking at it originally, but think I read later that it was mostly debunked and there's no loss in taming traditionally. I'll have to test them side-by side in similar circumstances. It takes the same 'real' time, since you have to wait for hunger to deplete anyway in both cases. Without using Starvation and using basic Raw Meat, I only lost 1 or 2 levels on that Level 92 Sabertooth.

If that holds true, then the starvation method is only useful if you're including Raw Prime Meat and want to keep it as fresh as possible so it doesn't rot while waiting for them to eat it. It's also useful if you're uncertain about the creature's safety and don't want to waste resources on what may end up a bad tame, so you can feed it all at once and skip the worry.

I think that after I bump myself to 1.0 difficulty, I'm going to try and tackle a max-level Spinosaurus. I tried to tame one, once, but didn't read the bio close enough and was completely floored by how fast they regenerate Torpor. It should be a nightmare project with great satisfaction at the end - and give me what seems to be arguably the best "All Terrain" mount in the game. I'll need a gaggle of Argents for eggs first, though, so that's Step 1... then a MASSIVE Narcotic stockpile, Step 2. I mean, a level 150 Spinosaur will eat 65 Argent Kibble to tame, and might take hundreds of Narcotics to keep under while you wait. :shock:
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll have to test without starving a creature down. Its very possible they have revised the mechanics since its still a pre-release game.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Yeah, I am curious too now. I had thought I noticed a time when I didn't get to feed a knocked out dino in time and it lost a bunch of taming effectiveness, but perhaps I was mistaken. I thought the procedure you were describing was a huge mistake, but would love to find out I am wrong.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Kelan wrote:Yeah, I am curious too now. I had thought I noticed a time when I didn't get to feed a knocked out dino in time and it lost a bunch of taming effectiveness, but perhaps I was mistaken. I thought the procedure you were describing was a huge mistake, but would love to find out I am wrong.
No - that actually makes sense. If it starved down all of its food reserve to zero - then it would have lost effectiveness due to taking starvation damage. I usually starve them down to 10-40% and then start feeding them.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The only non-vanilla things I'm doing right now are:
  • 4x Experience slider
  • 8x Taming Speed slider
  • Primitive+ Official Conversion
My captures are all using a 111% Damage Crossbow with Tranq Arrows and as many headshots as I can get. I swear I'm having no difficulty taming by just stuffing meat or berries in a Dino's inventory and waiting for them to eat it. I started with a L92 Sabertooth, KO'd it, and even flew away while it did the last 40% of it's taming without me around. When I came back, I had a Level 133 or 134 Sabertooth waiting for me. I can't recall which. It started at +44 levels, and ended with +41 or +42. Not a big loss for being able to go about my business elsewhere and leaving it to eat by itself. It started with a mid-90's effectiveness, and ended the same way.

I'll do a more accurate test with my next capture and maintain my method - reporting exactly on number of hits, creature health, food eaten, narcotics used, etc - and finish with the final level gain on the capture. I need a new Scorpion, so that'll be my next target. They're pretty easy tames.
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Paingod wrote:I mean, a level 150 Spinosaur will eat 65 Argent Kibble to tame, and might take hundreds of Narcotics to keep under while you wait. :shock:
On your server, it will only eat 9. ;)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, uhhh, yeah ... that's what I meant to say... :ninja:

I had tried to capture a level 39 one, but wasn't aware of the quick regeneration of torpor. I burned up my 40 narcotics like lightning, and only had the thing about 10% trained when I said "Yeah, no... I'm done" and left it sleeping there.

I'm going to have some fun 'resetting' my home island when I up the difficulty to 1.0. I plan to simply set all of my carnivores on Follow(Very High Distance)/Aggressive behavior and just lead them in large loop, cleansing the island with blood. Since I need to replace them anyway, any that die are welcome to.

*Edit: Okay, so that plan is kind of like herding cats. My Pteradons went into the blue somewhere - I don't know where - with a spare Argent I didn't need. My Rex ran off into the woods after a quirrel or something. I lost a Raptor to a tree early on ... just ... a mess. All I wanted to do was cycle the animals on the island a couple times so new 1-150 versions spawned instead of it being filled with 1-40's. I kept the bare essentials - my best Argent, an Ankylo, and a Bronto. Everything else, even my monkey, is up for renewal. The other three will be too, but I'm not getting rid of them until I have good replacements.
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The server is updated. Kelan noticed that it nuked my game.ini file and the stat multipliers were off, but I fixed that. I did a DestroyWildDinos as well, so if the new creatures made it to the Center, they ought to be out and about.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Had some more fun on Fret's server last night. nobody else chimed in so I think I was solo the whole time.

I finally got my houseboat mostly built out and setup. I did upgrade the lower deck to stone foundations, just in case of Sarco attacks. I took it for a test cruise and discovered that it probably wasn't the best idea to fiddle with the foundation heights until they were almost flush with the raft. As it turns out, shore rocks and debris clip through the bottom far enough to scrape off dinos riding on the lower decks if I'm not careful. I assume this means it will also be easy for water predators to attack them while riding; though there have been no issues so far. I may expand the roof space to allow better landing spots for flyers. My Pteranadons are fast enough that its hard to land on the small space. The added issue is dismounting and accidentally jumping over the railing if I'm not careful. :)

All of this means that I will use it mostly for exploration and resource gathering, but that's OK. That's exactly what it was planned for - a mobile crafting and gathering base that will provide a portable sanctuary when taking on the tougher islands and maybe establish a better base somewhere. All I have to do is park it on a beach and put up some spaced spike walls to keep out the larger riff-raff. Its also nice to have the portable respawn point (it has two beds).
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I had tickets on the glass to the Stars game last night. I was worried the patch would drop while I couldn't reboot the server, but it seems we lucked out.

[edit] - The Stars did not. Empty net goal to force overtime and then they lost one minute in. It was fun though!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fretmute wrote:I did a DestroyWildDinos as well, so if the new creatures made it to the Center, they ought to be out and about.
I haven't used console commands yet, but that may be the first. Given my terrible luck at leading my brigade of killers around the island, it'll be simply far faster to let them all go and wipe everything out.
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Dino spawns look pretty good. There was definitely something that gnawed on my whole set of dinos. They were all bunched up and down around half to 1/3 health when I logged in.

I was able to capture a beaver and a doedicurous so far. I working on a 140 Anky I downed, but its taken over two game days so far to get him down to half tamed. The beaver was more dicey though, that topor dropped like a rock!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Dino spawns look pretty good. There was definitely something that gnawed on my whole set of dinos. They were all bunched up and down around half to 1/3 health when I logged in.
Sounds like maybe a Rex. A herbivore wouldn't have aggro'd, but a large carnivore would - and they'd all fight back, and all get hit when they bunched up to fight back. On The Center, I've got a single home still, where I started. I'm on Tropical South, which is shaped like a big "U" kind of crescent. I plunked my home down right on the tip of one of the arms of the crescent. No carnivores seem to make it down that far, but I get the occasional large herbivore wandering through. Further up the beach, I was regularly assaulted by Carnotaurs and Raptors, and a Rex at one point.

I like my peaceful little home base, but it's very out of the way. I'm considering building a nice new central home, but short of flying pets and pets I can carry, I won't be able to safely keep a lot of animals there. Maybe I can find a nice central alcove somewhere and take it over. As it is, I've dotted the landscape with single Wooden platforms and Beds as quick, predictable respawn points.
Cylus Maxii wrote:...working on a 140 Anky I downed, but its taken over two game days so far to get him down to half tamed. The beaver was more dicey though, that topor dropped like a rock!
I remember capturing my 40 Ankylo - and that was a forever event (with 8x Taming Speed!) that I walked away from for a while. He was dropped in a pretty isolated area and I left a pair of higher-level mated raptors flanked on it as guards, set to Neutral/Non-Follow/Non-Wander so they'd aggro and kill anything that hit them, but not run off. I assumed anything that would attack a sleeping Ankylo would also attack an awake Raptor first ... They stayed placidly in place for the prolonged period that it took to finish the tame. I left to go chase butterflies and collect Hides or something, and came back to a new pet. I guess I do that a lot... :D ... the default behavior for a pet you tame and are standing near is to Neutral/Follow. For one that tames without you around, it's Neutral/Non-Follow - so they stand, and will fight back, until you arrive.

I wonder what would happen if I went on a Rex taming spree on Half-Burned Island. It's pretty easy to find one or two off by themselves, and they're easy enough to KO. I could build an army of them and rule the island!
Black Lives Matter

Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I am going to plan a move soon to about 30 Lat, 50 Lon in that little inlet on the shore facing the Volcano Island and fairly near the snow and swamp. I will probably pen that off for a water pen.

Please holler is someone was moving there. I saw Mori's raft nearby, but didn't seem to be heading there.

I never did try the snow biome before, but did live right next to a swamp. I hope to get up there to explore a bit more and challenge myself on Volcano Island some. I have enough brick pieces build already for a 4x6 building 2 high with gates and tons of fence foundations. I will probably roll over with my raft and enough raptors for protection and be ready to build a base up quick.

I had some fun this morning. I had a level 90 Bronto wander into my camp and when a Dilo also wandered in, you can guess what happened. The Bronto got agroed and just about took out half my base before I killed it. Most stations were almost destroyed, but luckily only my meat preserving shed went down. I had to scramble to make another before all my jerky decayed on the ground, heh. I really need a stone building to hide my stations in, or a place to keep dinos out.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Some stats on Taming. Bear in mind that I'm on 8x Tame Speed.

Test 1: Level 150 Parasaur - Left with Mejo Berries and ignored. Was Level 218 when I came back for it. It started at +74, and ended with +68. I did nothing except drop berries in its inventory and walk off.

Test 2: Level 150 Megalodon - Starved to 1000 out of 6000 food. Gave 60 regular Raw Meat. It consumed the Meat, one at a time, until tamed. It took exactly 43 meat to tame it, and it ended with +62 levels. It started with +74.

Test 3: Level 150 Argent - tamed with some care, fed a mix of Raw Prime and Regular Raw Meat. It started at +74 and ended at +68 levels.

Observations: Starving or regular feeding did not matter. Taming effectiveness did not drop based on time spent. Taming effectiveness only dropped when the creature ate. Regular Raw Meat knocked 0.3% to 0.4% off the effectiveness for each one eaten in each animal. Raw Prime Meat only knocked 0.1% to 0.2% off per each eaten. The conclusion seems to be that starvation isn't needed, but using the preferred foods will produce not only the fastest tame, it will also prevent the most taming effectiveness loss.
Black Lives Matter

mori

Post by mori »

Kelan wrote:I am going to plan a move soon to about 30 Lat, 50 Lon in that little inlet on the shore facing the Volcano Island and fairly near the snow and swamp. I will probably pen that off for a water pen.

Please holler is someone was moving there. I saw Mori's raft nearby, but didn't seem to be heading there.
I had to abandon a raft there. It got stuck and refused to move so I built another raft and sailed back to base. I tried to retrieve that raft after I logged back in and almost got a 2nd raft stuck right next to it, but luckily it came unstuck and I got out of there. I am staying away from that little lagoon from now on. It would be interesting if you guys can sail through that area without issues.

My latest session Cylus was having problems with the game crashing. I crash soon after and was not able to get back on the server. The load times of Primitive + is so long, I just hate to wait for a failure to connect or a crash.

Edit: Just duplicated the crash. Tried to enter the hand mill inventory and crash.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Hmm, I wonder what is up with the crashes you are seeing. I played for quite a few hours during the day today and didn't have any issues.

Well, I did have one issue when 9am rolled around and I wasn't watching the clock :). I was out scouting for a new base location and was over in the snow area and swamp before winding back down one of the main rivers back to home. I knew I would end up back on my Ptera somewhere dangerous, but wasn't sure where. I ended up half way up the river and right near a couple spinos. As I feared, I dropped right into the middle of the river when I logged in. With a few piranha nipping at me I swam to a shore and fortunately remembered my trusty spyglass which you can use to zoom in and issue commands to a dinosaur far away, which you need if you ever fall off a flying mount and they are off hovering way up in the air. I got him to follow and docked up and flew away to safety.

Oh, I made a huge mistake earlier and almost had my first non level 1-5 death on the server. I tried to fly headlong into the cave near the beaver ponds and immediately dismounted in a group of scorpions, centipedes and spiders. I barely got out of that one alive.

Fretmute, do you have it where you can take flyers into caves? I am just trying to figure out if that was what got me there. I forget that is normally off, I believe.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Hmm, just had my first crash also. I did notice while checking the engrams that there were all the original engrams available like electronics, scuba gear and such. There appears to be something messed up somehow.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I believe I have not overridden the cave flying setting. And I'm amenable to changing the reboot time if you guys are on in the mornings. It's more likely for me to be on at 5:00 AM than 9:00, so I left it that way when it was just me.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I play all times so it works how you have it. I just have to remember :).

Ok, so I crashed again when I tried to open the Construction Table. Both times crashed when I did that. Sounds like others are having issues with this latest patch including some people having all the engrams available like I did. I may wait it out and see if anyone else is having issues and play Civ VI for a bit.

Please update if you guys run into anything and hopefully find a fix?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

We can play it by ear. Worst case I believe there are commands to wipe engrams from players, so I could purge everyone if they determine that one thing is the culprit.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've looked around and there seems to be a lot of people crashing using 248.4 whenever they access Primitive+ mill or construction tables. I didn't have an issue on the hives. I expect a patch soon. I hadn't notice engrams stuff. Maybe the broken recipes are what crash the workstations.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

OK - Fret did some work and we're now at 248.51. He also went in and fixed the Engrams in our files and everything is working great now. I haven't had a single glitch or crash in the last couple of hours.

Oh - and Primitive+ 1.3 was included, so a lot of the meshes and snap points got fixed. And the grindstone now works so you can make and fix a viking axes if you wish.
mori

Post by mori »

I did not have any issues either. My fat fingers got in the way and I pushed some combination where I lost the various overlays so I could not manipulate objects but I am sure that was user error.

I may have to rethink my base strategy. I do not remember if it was Kelan or Cylus that came to my base and asked if I was going to put spiked walls on the cliffs above me. I said no as I have not had anything drop in and figured the overhang was enough so creatures would fall outside my walls. But I logged in today and there was 4-5 high level Dilos in my base. My guys took care of them with no loses but I do not know if they all dropped in from above or spawned in. I have had the same issues of Parasuars appearing in my base. Then I was out looking for some chitin and I came across a group of Dilos all mate boosted. Tranq and tamed 5 of them. Only one female :doh: But with Fret's easy taming settings on the server, animal husbandry, farming, and kibble making does not really seem necessary.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Thanks for all the work, Fret!

I was busy today with work and a tournament, but got in for an hour or so with no problems.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My greenhouse project is up and running. I still have some finishing touches, but veggies are in full production. The only thing I haven't planted yet is cashews, which I plan on putting out on the deck around the greenhouse. I'll finish the deck and plant the trees tomorrow or Tuesday. Feel free to drop by if you need some veggies.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

More notes on taming Dinos...

A Level 150 Dire Bear is a problematic capture. Since my debacle with the Spinosaurus (unexpected rapid Torpor regen) I've been more cautious and planned ahead. In tackling a Direbear, I read that they have extremely high torpor but relatively low health - meaning traditional Crossbow headshot hunting will simply result in a kill. The plan I devised then involved using Narcotic Tripwire Traps to drug the bear prior to KO'ing it. I calculated, based on the creature stats, that it probably had about 10,000 Torpor. That's a lot. In looking at it's health, I figured it might have 2200-2800 HP. I hoped. The crossbow does 35 damage with Tranq arrows - 87.5 with a 2.5x Headshot modifier. If I wait 5 or 6 seconds between shots, I get 394 torpor out of it. I really didn't want to screw it up, and the online guide basically said any Direbear over level 16 is highly likely to die before being Tranq'd. So - I made 30 Narcotics traps, just to be safe. 15 pairs of 2. That's an additional 3,600 Torpor with no additional damage if they all hit.

I took my (now Level 21) Quetzal and flew down to the Redwood forest, where I've seen Bears a-plenty. It took a long while, but I finally discovered a Level 150 Male fighting a Carnotaur and scooped him up... which he thanked me for by mauling my Quetzal. I had to drop him twice to realign him and transport him home. I plopped him safely out of the way and then lined the floor of my capture pen with the 30 Narcotics traps. I picked him up again and dropped him in, then parked the Quetzal. I kept a Sabertooth on standby right next to the pen in case I needed to flee or give chase. The bear had triggered some of the traps, and was enraged - clawing at the walls. I clambered up the ladder and started poking him in the head. Wall segments, flooring, doors, windows ... he ripped it all up in fury. I couldn't help but think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea and that a wooden capture pen was just bad planning. With 20 or so arrows in the back and top of his head and all but three segments of walls shredded, the bear had enough and pushed out into the wild. I jumped down onto the Sabertooth and gave chase - thankful for the new Shoot from Small Mounts mechanics. My Crossbow worked great as I rode, but it was more than a little awkward trying to ride, steer, and shoot a running Direbear. I did manage to corral it into a mountain alcove - and it jammed it's head into the wall. I could only cringe and shoot arrow after arrow into it's fat bear rump, giving 5-6 seconds between shots. The bear got bloodier and bloodier until it looked like it was on the verge of death - and then it suddenly collapsed after a shot. I ran up and found it was unconscious! :dance: With about 300 health left. :shock:

This is where hoarding Carno eggs came in useful. I deployed my 10 Kibble; the very first time using it. Each one he ate filled his taming bar by about 1/6th or so (8x Tame Speed on my server) - and after a short while, I had a +74 level Direbear! The Kibble only knocked off 0.0% to 0.1% per use, and when he was done he was still at like 99.7% effectiveness.

My list of Level 150 captures is now... Direbear (Fiber), Parasaur, Trike (Berries), Pteranodon (Air Superiority), Argentavis (Medium Air Hauling), Mammoth (Wood), and Megalodon (Ocean travel). I think I've got all the basic resources covered pretty well, and just need to find some critters from the deep to help me get rarer resources from that area.

I did have a setback over the weekend, too. I got a little cocky while trying to capture a Doedicurus and it knocked me off a cliff. I was amused until I realized the fall was going to be lethal. I figured I'd be able to fly back quick enough and wasn't too worried until I watched my corpse slide down into the ocean. When I came back I discovered that particular spot was a sheer drop down into an abyss filled with Megalodons. I lost a blue Pick, a green Hatchet, and a more powerful Crossbow - along with a good assortment of armor, 100 Tranq arrows, 50 Narcotics, and a Canteen. :(

I think my next adventure is going to be moving to a more 'central' location closer to the middle of The Center and establish a strong base there. I've got the Dinos to harvest a lot of materials pretty easily, so construction should be smooth. I'd love to build a really nice looking base with a large perimeter fence and safe places for dino breeding.
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Wow. Good narrative PG. thanks for sharing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm surprised by the hold this game has on me. Steam tells me I've logged 100 hours or so - which is huge for me.

I love just flying around and surveying for new Level 150 dinos to capture. I'm an explorer and collector in every game I play, and this feeds right into it.
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

So I heard you like Dimetrodons . . .

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That was a random spawn and not a repeated console spawn, right? Holy crap! I've never seen clusters of anything like that, maybe 12 Dilos at once in the swamp, brought together by a fight - but nothing like that.

I spent last night picking out two new Sabertooth pets - L150 male, L145 Female. The female was actually statistically better than the male. The male was a tubby bastard, the female was lean and mean - higher health and damage. I then spent some time hunting for a high-level Beelzebufo, and settled for a L125 version, which is as high as I've found so far. That's it. I think I may have some issues. I can too easily see myself hunting over and over for the 'perfect' pets, and it's not like I even have competition on the islands in my own server. I'm probably going to start recording their wild stats, too, so I know what they had before I altered them. Too many creatures seem to focus 1/5 of their levels on Food - which, statistically and biologically, kind of makes sense - but it's still annoying.

I did find that the new Shooting from Small Mounts mechanic absolutely trivializes some taming. I can sit safely on a Sabertooth with 1800HP and pluck a hostile target directly in the face, and then flee quickly when the tiger gets too low on health. A Beelzebufo tame without a taming pen is normally kind of risky. Twice I've been KO'd by them as I KO'd them. Now, I sit on my mount that has 1000's of Torpor and just stare the frog down. Same for a Sabertooth, and probably the same for a lot of other smaller taming targets.

While searching for the Beelzebufo, I did discover a few Castoroides dams too - and raked in mountains of Cementing Paste, Flowers, and Mushrooms. So much awesome! I was in need of that, and will need to go find more. When I establish my new home, which I think I've decided will be somewhere along a river near the swamps, I'm going to need as much paste as I can scrounge.
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

That's amazing, Fret. I was on the server when you were describing it. I had thought you were exaggerating a bit. But damn..

Its like lemmings..
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe there's a random migration and spawning component being tested. It'd be amazing to see all the members of a certain kind of dinosaur make a pilgrimage to a specific spot, breed a ton of eggs, and then disperse. It's possible, too, that maybe whatever limits spawns in a given area is simply broken for that particular spot?
Black Lives Matter

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Paingod wrote:It's possible, too, that maybe whatever limits spawns in a given area is simply broken for that particular spot?
The Center is notorious for having a random breed of dinosaur spawn completely out of control.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My Air Force:
Enlarge Image

My Greenhouse:
Enlarge Image

My Cabin Cruiser:
Enlarge Image

Interior of Cruiser:
Enlarge Image