Batman Arkham Knight

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

baelthazar

Batman Arkham Knight

Post by baelthazar »

So, I am noticing a lack of commentary on this upcoming game. That makes me a little nervous, so I thought I would gauge the waters here. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum quite a bit, but never got to play Arkham City. They are billing this one as being "5-times bigger than Arkham City" and "Open World (where you can drive the batmobile)."

I guess what I am hoping for is something like a Batman-themed Shadows of Mordor. Has anyone heard anything or have any insight?

One thing that is bothering me is that there seems to be a bit of media silence on it, despite the release date later this month. I have seen some gameplay trailer and it looks as expected, but I thought there would be more buzz.

I did hear something about an outrageous season pass price and DLC scheme. Any idea what that was about?
coopasonic

Re: Batman Arkham Knight

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote:One thing that is bothering me is that there seems to be a bit of media silence on it, despite the release date later this month. I have seen some gameplay trailer and it looks as expected, but I thought there would be more buzz.
I really thought this was coming in the fall. Thanks for the heads up that it is coming much sooner... though there is no way I am finishing Witcher 3 by the 23rd.

I was a bit iffy on buying this as Arkham City was pretty repetitive to me and I am pretty sure I never finished it (well, maybe I did, not sure). Arkham Origins was downright disappointing. I got a free copy with a new video card purchase, so I will be playing it despite my misgivings.

In summary, I will be playing it because I got a free copy. I have no idea what is going on with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

baelthazar wrote:So, I am noticing a lack of commentary on this upcoming game. That makes me a little nervous, so I thought I would gauge the waters here. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum quite a bit, but never got to play Arkham City. They are billing this one as being "5-times bigger than Arkham City" and "Open World (where you can drive the batmobile)."
I just finished City last week and it was great. Better than Asylum in a lot of ways, although less coherent story telling. City is fairly small, which is good since your only means of transport are parkour, grapnelling or gliding around.

City was so good I'm playing it again in Story Plus mode.

I buy the batman games when they hit 5 bucks, so I'm not your target OO'er when it comes to a new release.
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

I really want to play this as well, also being a "wait till it's on sale" guy normally. However, the minimum specs (nVidia 660 GTX) on this outweigh my current graphics card (560 GTX) so looks like i'm saving up for that instead. I could probably still run it but I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade anyway.
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

WarPig wrote:I really want to play this as well, also being a "wait till it's on sale" guy normally. However, the minimum specs (nVidia 660 GTX) on this outweigh my current graphics card (560 GTX) so looks like i'm saving up for that instead. I could probably still run it but I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade anyway.
If I get it, I will likely grab the PS4 version for ease of use. I prefer the PS4 controllers to my Xbox PC controller anyway. My rig is probably too old to run it effectively as well.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I finished the first 2 and am halfway through Origin which I was enjoying until I got side tracked.

I love anything Batman and htink the time and effort put in to this means it will be great, they even got anotehr house to do Origin so they could focus on this which should be a good thing.

I pre ordered this on GMG for like £20 so am looking forward to it but W3 has it hooks in big time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been watching, but I've learned the less I know about a game, the more I'm inclined to like it. :D

I still think Arkham Asylum was my favorite, followed by Origins and then City. For that reason alone, I'm nervous as this is a sequel to Arkham City. For me it will come down to the story as I think they more or less have the mechanics down.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The attention to detail in these games is phenomenal. Highly polished, extremely fun, tons of batman universe lore and VERY batmanish.

Batman's voice acting in City is a little weaker than in the Asylum imo. It's just a little too over acted, again in my opinion. Everything he says is always very grave and important, even when he's just responding to a simple yes/no question.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

To quote PC Gamer -- Batman: Arkham Knight's PC port appears to be a disaster:
Chief complaints include stuttering frame-rates and a 30 frames-per-second cap. This latter restriction can be removed by editing a config file. To do that, open your Arkham Knight install directory, and navigate to, "\BmGame\Config\BmSystemSettings.ini”.

In the config file, search for "Max_FPS=30", and change it to "Max_FPS=9999".

In addition, it sounds like even high-end graphics cards are struggling to maintain a stable frame-rate, despite new drivers from both Nvidia and AMD.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Well, I can't feel too bad since I got the code free with my new, shiny graphics card, but I was hoping to use this game to test out my new system build.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait for inevitable patch(es).
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah I have this but being 70% through the Witcher 3 and Ark being played a lot I shall stick this on the back burner until theissues are fixed.

Still very shoddy, especially re no review code sent out anywhere at all. Almost like they knew there was major issues.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I swore off my "no preorders, moron!" edict and picked this up for 35 bucks on the GMG sale. I played for about 40 minutes this morning and didn't notice any stuttering or other framerate issues. Of course, I realized when I quit to the main menu that I hadn't enabled any of the nvidia gameworks effects. So I'll try those tonight.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was surprised to see the headlines given this isn't their first time at the rodeo. However, then I thought maybe the publisher put the developer under pressure to release the game before the Fall 2015 gaming blitz takes place. Under that scenario, I could totally see optimization for PC falling to the wayside as I'd imagine console copies are going to make up a bulk of the sales.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Is it time to trot out the "PC Gaming is Dying" banner yet?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smoove_B wrote:I was surprised to see the headlines given this isn't their first time at the rodeo. However, then I thought maybe the publisher put the developer under pressure to release the game before the Fall 2015 gaming blitz takes place. Under that scenario, I could totally see optimization for PC falling to the wayside as I'd imagine console copies are going to make up a bulk of the sales.
The PC port was supposedly (I can't verify this) developed by a third-party studio with a shoddy reputation for ports.
Insert witty comment here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

IGN
Rocksteady has issued a statement regarding the issues, saying it's working to get them resolved while highlighting it was another studio that did the PC port of the game.

"We're aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight," it reads. "This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible. We'll update this thread when we've got more info to share."
naednek

Post by naednek »

Buatha wrote:Well, I can't feel too bad since I got the code free with my new, shiny graphics card, but I was hoping to use this game to test out my new system build.

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait for inevitable patch(es).
Witcher 3 would be a better test case for that.

I too got it free along with Witcher 3 and for the most part it runs fairly smooth. I did notice some stuttering and a few times it would hang.

You'd think that if you are going to showcase your games, give it away for free that it wouldn't have these type of problems.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

With all of that said, the game is awesome in terms of presentation. Hell even the batmobile segments were very fun.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

TiLT wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:I was surprised to see the headlines given this isn't their first time at the rodeo. However, then I thought maybe the publisher put the developer under pressure to release the game before the Fall 2015 gaming blitz takes place. Under that scenario, I could totally see optimization for PC falling to the wayside as I'd imagine console copies are going to make up a bulk of the sales.
The PC port was supposedly (I can't verify this) developed by a third-party studio with a shoddy reputation for ports.
It is a joke really, the days when we are still buying games with Rocksteady on the cover but made by someone else should be long gone. Certainly when we go and buy a product we expect that product to be the same, oh look my ford car is really made by iraqi motors r us but i'm sure it will be fine still sorry you never realised and it blew up in town how could we have known.

It should be clear the reputable company is not the one working on my game and as such be made clear. Instead it's like they are just blaming someone else and saying f you to those that buy the PC version.

Very disappointing
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

See also: Aliens: Colonial Marines, branded as from Gearbox
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Isgrimnur wrote:See also: Aliens: Colonial Marines, branded as from Gearbox
This isn't even remotely close to being the same kind of situation. Rocksteady made the entire game, but this other company made the front-end that makes it work on PC. Code in projects like this is structured in layers, where most of the layers can be retained between platforms since they are platform agnostic. Only the outermost layers have knowledge of the platform they're running on, and only these parts need to be replaced or adjusted.
Insert witty comment here.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

TiLT wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:See also: Aliens: Colonial Marines, branded as from Gearbox
This isn't even remotely close to being the same kind of situation. Rocksteady made the entire game, but this other company made the front-end that makes it work on PC. Code in projects like this is structured in layers, where most of the layers can be retained between platforms since they are platform agnostic. Only the outermost layers have knowledge of the platform they're running on, and only these parts need to be replaced or adjusted.
It should still be made clear it is not just a Rocksteady game, I mean if there is never an issue why not tell us about it. The reason is there is always more of a chance that it is going to suck so they keep quiet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Is it time to trot out the "PC Gaming is Dying" banner yet?
Nope. PC gaming shouldn't be considered just a subset of the big AAA release options. Look at all the awesome PC only games, like Kerbal Space Program, Out of the Park Baseball, Cities: Skylines, etc. PC gaming just happens to also get a lot of the AAA titles. No one who is primarily interested in the AAA titles should ever consider going with a PC, considering the number of crappy ports released in the past few years. PC gaming IMHO gives a player a lot more options of what to play.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

...and X Com 2 is going to be PC only.

With the advent of the steam box (and/or similar software/hardware), I predict that Steam will actually bridge that stream between console and PC.
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote:...and X Com 2 is going to be PC only.
I forgot about that! And now that Steam is giving refunds, you can feel a bit less "taken for a ride" when you get a PC game that doesn't live up to expectations, or runs like a dog (I'm looking at you, AC Unity! :wink:)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I fired up the game last night and went through the first few minutes of gliding/swooping/jumping/grappling and had smooth performance throughout with everything maxed out. Granted, I have a brand new rig that is above recommended specs.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I played a bit more last night and noticed some stuttering in cut scenes after I enabled all the Nvidia gameworks stuff (fog, weather, etc.). Still, it's running smoother than what I'm hearing from others.
He won. Period.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah my rig is at (or just below) minimum. While I could play it it stuttered a lot whereas Witcher 3 plays great. I am planning on upgrading sometime over the summer (I hope...don't have a ton of cash) but hopefully an optimization patch helps
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Yea...I'll be lining up for this:

Get nothing but black screen upon launch.
Disappointing.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pulled from the (virtual) shelves by the publisher.
Dear Batman: Arkham Knight PC owners,

We want to apologize to those of you who are experiencing performance issues with Batman: Arkham Knight on PC. We take these issues very seriously and have therefore decided to suspend future game sales of the PC version while we work to address these issues to satisfy our quality standards.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ouch. I wonder if steam's return policy has been a factor in this? In the past, it was purely a buyer beware market. But now the consumer has more of a voice. And it sounds like we're being heard.
He won. Period.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Unfortunately Green Man Gaming still isn't doing refunds, although I read that they may consider this a special case. Actually GMG might have to change their policy anyway, as folks might be more inclined to go with the regular price on Steam, knowing they can get a refund, rather than getting a discount on GMG but with no prospect of getting their money back.
tgb

Post by tgb »

jztemple2, I was thinking that when deciding where to get Witcher 3 - pay full price and get a refund if it runs like ass on my system, or pay half price and just have to eat it.

But back to the Batman - I don't have a dog in this race since I decided after the first two that these games just aren't my cup of meat. But a cynical man might suggest that Rocksteady/WB were fully aware of the problems before launch (I understand there was no PC release code sent to review sites in advance) but decided to keep it on the market long enough to collect pre-order and Day One money before announcing it was being pulled.

Good thing I'm not a cynical man.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
naednek

Post by naednek »

sucks that it doesn't play well for others (Especially people with AMD cards) but man it's runs nice on my rig. Did the benchmark and I'm averaging about 45 fps. Occasionally is stutters, but it's definitely playable, pretty and fun.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

naednek wrote:sucks that it doesn't play well for others (Especially people with AMD cards) but man it's runs nice on my rig. Did the benchmark and I'm averaging about 45 fps. Occasionally is stutters, but it's definitely playable, pretty and fun.
I think the feeling is even when it runs well it isn't showing and doing everything, graphics are downgraded or missing and it isn't even up to the standard of the PS4 version yet the specs needed are pretty hefty and top pc specs are mroe than enough to not have to be running with half the special effects not even implemented.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

jztemple2 wrote:Unfortunately Green Man Gaming still isn't doing refunds, although I read that they may consider this a special case.
They're accepting refund requests if the next patch doesn't address your problems.
He won. Period.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

It's too bad, because the PS4 version is a lot of fun (albeit hard for me). I am still getting used to the batmobile making this GTA Batman, but overall the atmosphere and story are cool. Jonathan Banks playing Gordon is not so cool - I love the actor but he sounds so damn bored as he reads his lines.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had the exact same reaction to Banks' reading as well.

I think I may just ask for a refund (not based on Banks' performance, though) when the option becomes available through GMG. Then I'll just wait for the PS4 version to drop in price later this year.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

jztemple2 wrote:Unfortunately Green Man Gaming still isn't doing refunds, although I read that they may consider this a special case.
Just got an email from GMG stating that they have refunded my money.
Put in the request late last Knight.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote:
Put in the request late last Knight.
:clap:

edit: I just put in my request too.
He won. Period.