Master of Orion-Reboot

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

astyanax

Re: Master of Orion-Reboot

Post by astyanax »

Jeff V wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:This looks absolutely horrible based on the developer they picked. I give it about a 1% chance of actually being any good. Vague comments about "key personnel" without any names does nothing at all to reassure me. If they had Steve Barcia, they would have said so. I think Tom Chick said it best:
It's an Argentinian studio whose previous credits include a free-to-play MMO, a cutesy action platformer thing made for the Cartoon Network, and a top-down action shooter. Why would Wargamer.net hand them the rights to a space 4X? And what's this vague comment about working with key members of the original team? Who? In what capacity? Sounds like a meaningless throwaway reference for the press release.

I predict something along the lines of Master of Orion 3. Namely, a strategy game made by a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing.
The cleaning lady. She was a key member because the rest of the team were slobs and undoubtedly would have caught something fatal from wallowing in their own filth had she not kept the office tidy.
More like the security guys... the one with the keys. :o
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And now I have a hankering to play Moo 2, which I haven't touched nearly 20 years. The question is do I want pay GOG $6 to go "I guess that was just nostalgia. Never mind."

I really need to load a Windows 95 box, sometime just so I can still use this huge binder of old 16 and 32 bit games I can't play anymore.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pretty sure I ran it with no problems on windows 7, but my memory is fuzzy. Might have required compatibility mode.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've played MOO2 on my win7 box within the past few months with no issues. Scrolling on the combat screen is a little hairy and of course the graphics look groan-worthy now, but it's still very playable.

When it came out the AI combat turns took forever with big fleets. Let's just say that's not an issue anymore. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Has a HomePage
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats neat about it is a lot of the older folk who worked on the originals at SimTex are working on this and a huge name in music from the golden days is doing the score for it..George 'Fat Man' Sanger.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Daehawk wrote:Whats neat about it is a lot of the older folk who worked on the originals at SimTex are working on this
Steve Barcia's not working on it so I'm not sure if that really matters much.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That bullet-time-in-space intro is still really stupid.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:That bullet-time-in-space intro is still really stupid.
That's unusually harsh coming from you.

Now I've got to see it. :D
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like they just announced the voice cast (who will voice various leaders) including Mark Hamill, John DeLancie, Robert Englund, Nolan North, and Alan Tudyk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhzlgohX2SM

Also going on sale for early access next week.

I'll have to wait and see what the word of mouth is, but hopefully something good will come out of this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nice cast. Will one of the aliens say he is a leaf on the wind??
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote:Nice cast.
+1.

MoO3 and HoMMIV were the first games I ever bought that I basically put away and never played. They ushered in beginning of my gaming jaded years.

Someone else needs to get this and rave about it and then continue raving about it two weeks later.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It certainly looks like they've gone all in as far as production value goes, but in terms of gameplay who knows.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

LordMortis wrote:
+1.

MoO3 and HoMMIV were the first games I ever bought that I basically put away and never played. They ushered in beginning of my gaming jaded years.

Someone else needs to get this and rave about it and then continue raving about it two weeks later.
Pretty telling IMO that they're putting out this kind of information but nothing at all about how the game plays or even the very basics of combat (which at last check they were thinking about making real-time). Especially so since it goes into EA in 10 days. Their priorities seem kind of strange to say the least. I guess we'll see.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Nice cast. Will one of the aliens say he is a leaf on the wind??
Robert Englund's voiced race will only be available in the Collector's Edition? Darn. While I thought they all sounded good, I thought his sounded best of all and I like the concept of what he calls "Space Vikings".
ColdSteel wrote:Their priorities seem kind of strange to say the least. I guess we'll see.
Such is the way of Marketing. Hype first, function second.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote:
+1.

I at least played HOMMIV. Amazon paid me $2 to take Moo3 off their hands, I don't think I ever bothered to install it though.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Space vikings seemed to just be evil humans to me.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

How exactly does this game work?

I see a universe map. Check

I see a tech tree. Check.

I see fully voice leaders. Check - Hi. Declare War.

I see lots of ships flying around shooting each other. No HUD? Real time? Turn based? How do you manage the battles?

Economy? No clue

Is there a story is it straight up Expand/Exterminate?

MOO2 had a super violent baddie race you had to fight to defeat. Is that still part of this game?

I'm really confused what this is supposed to be.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
KDH

Post by KDH »

not sure if this was posted ... a presentation from PAX AUS 2015, showing economy and strategy screens

... (note: a lot of ads embedded in video)

Offtopic: Does anybody know what became of Gas Powered Games (Chris Taylor)? ... what they might be working on, if anything

Feb. 2013 they were acquired by Wargaming.net .. becoming Wargaming Seattle
July 2013 Wargaming acquired the IP for total annihilation (and MoO) from Atari auction
Ain't nobody got time for that
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think this is the same Chris Taylor

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/la ... rs-arakion
KDH

Post by KDH »

IceBear wrote:I think this is the same Chris Taylor
ahh .. so he has left WG ... thanks for the reply
Ain't nobody got time for that
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

KDH wrote:
IceBear wrote:I think this is the same Chris Taylor
ahh .. so he has left WG ... thanks for the reply
Or not, maybe.

From the Kickstarter project FAQ:
Are you the same Chris Taylor as the GPG or Fallout Guy?

No, No, and more no. I'm neither of those guys I just happen to share a similar name. It's been said I am "the other, other Chris Taylor who isn't that other Chris Taylor". Hopefully that clears things up.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There is a 3rd Chris Taylor now? So are there no roller coasters in MoO then?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

So, from over at Qt3:
I didn't see any combat, but when I asked on the stream what kind of combat it was, folks were saying it was RTWP (real-time w/pause) which is a bit disappointing
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'd say that there is about a 5% chance of this game being good.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ColdSteel wrote:So, from over at Qt3:
I didn't see any combat, but when I asked on the stream what kind of combat it was, folks were saying it was RTWP (real-time w/pause) which is a bit disappointing
I actually really like real time with pause. I'd even go so far as to say that I prefer it over turn based, although I do enjoy WEGO systems as well.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I prefer turn based combat, but as long as the real time is pause-able and well done I can probably deal. I'm inclined to give it a try, but I'll probably wait and at least see what the early word of mouth is on the state of the game.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote:I prefer turn based combat, but as long as the real time is pause-able and well done I can probably deal. I'm inclined to give it a try, but I'll probably wait and at least see what the early word of mouth is on the state of the game.
There is no way I'm buying this game near release without simply stellar reviews from people here on OO.

Chances are I won't even pick it up for a year or more.

But I am interested and I do plan on buying it at some point, if it's at a minimum, decent.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

El Guapo wrote:I'd say that there is about a 5% chance of this game being good.
I'm around 30%. It's looks like reboot of the original with some UI improvements. This could be good or bad depending on what you want.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

If you're interested in a pretty thorough look at the game, you can see ~9 hours of play here.

I watched it on and off for ~4 hours last night. It looks like a pretty well done, if rather standard space empire game. It's been far too long since I last played MOO1 and MOO2 for me to evaluate exactly how it compares.

I came in not being particularly excited about the game, since their first trailers seemed pretty poorly done. But after watching an actual game, I expect I'll get it when it reaches full release. Although I'm more excited about Paradox's upcoming Stellaris.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Available now on Steam EA for the low, low price of $50. Yeah, full of missing races and features and yet they still charge that much for EA? :naughty:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I might consider that price on final release, but who knows when that will be and what kind of shape the game will be in then? There are enough choices right now for 4X games to give this game a pass for a while.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Post by tgb »

For that price you also get the first 3, but I already own them and have no desire to buy them again.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:Available now on Steam EA for the low, low price of $50. Yeah, full of missing races and features and yet they still charge that much for EA? :naughty:
Duh, you get a complete game at release, remember? Full game, full price. It's not like all you end up with is a partial game.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Grifman wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Available now on Steam EA for the low, low price of $50. Yeah, full of missing races and features and yet they still charge that much for EA? :naughty:
Duh, you get a complete game at release, remember? Full game, full price. It's not like all you end up with is a partial game.
I think the idea is it might NOT release (or, like many EA games, release unfinished). With EA, you actually CAN end up with a partial game.

Not sure what to do. I think this will release and be pretty decent, but I am in no hurry to shell out for EA. Playing betas can be dangerous, as you burn yourself out on sub-par content before the actual release. I have a lot of Gal Civ 3 to play, so I think I can hold off for now (and for a sale).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

baelthazar wrote:
Grifman wrote:
I think the idea is it might NOT release (or, like many EA games, release unfinished). With EA, you actually CAN end up with a partial game.
EA is always buyer beware, that goes with the territory.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont have any worries because its Wargaming . Where do you guys get all the EA stuff at? The devs are NGD Studios and the publisher and rights owner is Wargaming.

EDIT: Oh LOL! You guys aren't dissing Electronic Arts...its Early Access ..I see AHHAHAH. I see EA and bad and they just go together as Electronic Arts hahah
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Essentially, they're treating early access as a bonus that comes with pre-purchasing the Collector's Edition. There will be a Standard Edition, but it won't be available until the game is released to retail.

It looks like I can't link to the Steam early access subforums, so here is the full text of the message they posted there regarding their EA plan:
Welcome to the Early Access for Master of Orion! This is the first time players outside of Wargaming Labs and NGD Studios have had the opportunity to play the latest entry in this legendary franchise, and we’re very excited to read all of the feedback you’ll no doubt have for us. Since Master of Orion is our first foray into the Early Access program on Steam, we felt it was appropriate to explain our approach, as well as what you can look forward to in the coming phases.

Our Early Access Philosophy
We’re doing Early Access a little differently than you might be accustomed to on Steam. It’s not because we feel that it’s being done wrong, but because our approach best fits Master of Orion.

4X games rely on a core gameplay loop that must be complete for you to enjoy the game—lacking features critical to your Explore, Expand, Exploit and Exterminate progression would negatively impact your gameplay experience.

Because of this, Master of Orion’s core gameplay is mostly “feature complete.” We will be using Early Access as a means of polishing features and races, and balancing the rhythm, pacing, and flow of the game based on your feedback and experiences.

Early Access Duration
Although the core gameplay is feature complete, there is no specific duration set for Early Access, but we do have a rough idea. This could—and probably will—change based on your feedback, but we’re expecting a minimum of three Early Access phases, with each lasting at least one month.

Gameplay sessions can last quite some time in 4X games, so we’re not planning to do this in short bursts. We want to give you time to play through the game so you can give your most thoughtful feedback.

If this timeline changes, we will make sure to update you as soon as we have additional information on the topic. We’re also not quite ready to announce the official release date because of the above-mentioned need to assess feedback during Early Access. But given the minimum length we expect Early Access to run, you can tell it won’t be before the end of May, 2016.

Early Access Phases
Right now we’re looking at rolling out features and races over multiple phases. Early Access 1, which you’re participating in now, has most of the core gameplay*—including these key features:
  • Six races: Alkari, Bulrathi, Human, Psilon, Mrrshan and Sakkra
  • Three victory conditions: Conquest, Diplomatic and Excellence
  • Tactical Battles**
  • Ship Design
  • Multiplayer
  • 64-bit Windows
  • Legacy games: Master of Orion 1, 2 and 3***
* - For a larger feature list for Early Access 1, click here.
** - Tactical Battles are not available in the Multiplayer game mode.
*** - For your nostalgic enjoyment!

As you can see, our main approach to Early Access is to gradually introduce races and victory conditions—this will allow us to get focused feedback and gameplay data on them and allow us to balance them properly. There are a couple of features that aren’t quite ready, which we are holding back until we get solid feedback on the core game.

In future Early Access builds we will roll out the following races, features, victory conditions and additional game client support:
  • Additional Races: Darlok, Meklar, Klackon, Silicoid and Terran Khanate
  • Custom Races
  • Victory Conditions: Technological and Economic
  • Espionage
  • Independent Planets
  • Support for additional text localization
  • Playable on Mac OS X, Linux (Ubuntu) and Steam OS
It is important to note that we’re still in the early stages of balancing and feature polish. It is very likely that you will run into stability issues, the AI might not be the best yet, early game empire growth may feel sluggish (or in some cases too fast), and the races may feel like they need more polish. With your feedback and the roadmap we’ve laid out, we are focused on making this Master of Orion experience the best it can be.

Providing Feedback
Your feedback is incredibly important to us. Early Access is best used as a time to listen to and discussion your impressions with you, so we will be very active in pre-defined threads as well as those you create. If you love what we’re doing, tell us. If you hate what we’re doing, tell us. Debate shows passion behind a topic—so long as it is healthy.

We encourage you to speak your mind about your experiences in Master of Orion, but request that you remain constructive—particularly when discussing feedback with your fellow players. At the end of the day we all want the best possible Master of Orion experience.

Collector’s Edition Content
Besides Early Access, there is another key component that the Collector’s Edition provides: the ability to play the legacy games (Master of Orion 1, 2 and 3) here on Steam. Early Access and the original series are not available for the Standard Edition of the game.

The remaining Collector’s Edition content will be unlocked with the retail release of Master of Orion. This includes:
  • Digital Artbook
  • Orchestral Soundtrack
More to Come…
With the retail release we will also be implementing many of the Steam community and social features you’ve come to love. Master of Orion will have full support for:
  • Steam Achievements
  • Steam Cloud
  • Steam Trading Cards and associated profile unlocks that come from completing badges
  • Steam Leaderboards
  • Steam Workshop
No NDA
Finally, it is important to stress that there is no NDA covering Master of Orion's Early Access. To be honest, we're not even sure if we'd be allowed to have an NDA, but it doesn't matter, because we don't want one. We want you to share your experiences with your friends, family and followers on social media. Stream on Twitch if you'd like, create Let's Play videos for YouTube, upload screenshots to your favorite image host, and debate the game on Reddit and discussion forums around the internet.

If we decide to open up an alpha, we might have an NDA covering unreleased content, but for Early Access you are free to discuss openly.

Until Next Time...
We’re looking forward to the release of Master of Orion and all of the cool things you’ll create with the Workshop support, but we’re going to take this one step at a time. We’re incredibly honored to have you along for the Early Access journey we’re embarking on, and we can’t wait to hear and see how you’re conquering the stars as we continue to shape the future of this legendary franchise.
Additionally, there is also a non-Steam version (if that matters to you) on GOG (forums here).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well I was holding out great until I watched Quill's let's play of a game and then my will collapsed. That means I held out for about 6 hours or so.. not bad! :D

I was able to play for a couple hours last night, and on the whole it's impressive.

First, this is very obviously a labor of love for someone with a considerable amount of money behind it. The production values are really amazing. Michael Dorne does all the narration and the Psilon advisor is Alan Tudyk among many other great voice actors. There are custom intros for each race, custom colonization movies, each race now has it's own ship design style, etc. Just lots of great eye and ear candy all around.

Eventually the game will support all the original races from MOO1 plus custom races, but not MOO2's expanded races. The six currently in the game are Psilons, Humans, Bulrathi, Mrrshan, Alkari, and Sakkara.

So getting past the surface, what's the game like? On the whole: very similar to MOO2. They've taken elements from both MOO1 & 2, but the main template for the game is definitely 2. So what are the main differences?

First, the galaxy map is opened up a little. It's a bit hard to describe, but each system is actually present on the map if you zoom in. A ship arriving in a new system will be at a jump point along the outer ring of the system and it takes 1 movement point to move from any object (i.e. a jump point) to another object (i.e. a planet or jump point). I really rather like this change as it makes the combat that can happen around a system a little more strategic and adds an interesting layer to system defense. For instance there is also now a constructor ship you can build that can not only build resource producing stations on asteroids, but can also build defense stations around jump points to defend against attackers.

This touches on another fairly major change: systems are now linked by warp points you have to travel through to get around. There are some that are locked initially and require tech to get through, and not sure if eventually you get a tech to ignore warp points, but personally I've always liked the warp point approach for the more interesting defense opportunities they bring about.

Next, the research tree. I think this is a fairly major change that will sadden some people, but they've done away with the hard choices of the MOO2 research system and have switched to a more traditional tech tree, with each new tech unlocking 2 new items. What's in the game currently looks like the full tech tree, but it's obviously in need of balancing and tweaking still.

On to combat... by far one of the biggest changes and probably the one that will turn off the most people. Combat is pausable, real time, but the ship AI seems to do well enough on it's own (at least in the few small skirmishes with pirates I got into). Visually it looks really good with the weapon effects and ability to zoom in close to the action, but at least early on in the game it goes REALLY fast with the pirates I was fighting going down to a couple of missile hits. Also not sure how well the system will scale to large fleet actions or if it will be an unmanageable mess, but at least the ships are able to fight fairly well on their own if you can't manage to give orders to all of them. On the whole I would rather of had a turn based system, but this one seems tolerable... sort of a mashup between GalCiv 3's combat and MOO2. Weapons have ranges and fire arcs, so there will be some potential for tactics, but not sure yet how much.

On the planetary level things are very similar to MOO2. Planets have populations that are assigned to food, production, or research, a single build queue, a marine barracks that regrows defensive troops, etc. Even the buildings are largely from MOO2... starbases, auto factories, hydroponic farms, etc. The only real changes here are pollution is a value that is slowly built up over time now instead of being a constant based on production/tech and there are production options to clean up pollution. There is also a system of diminishing returns on populations assigned to work... depending on the resource level of a planet for instance the first two pops assigned to production might produce 4 points each, while the 3rd drops to 3, etc. Oh, and the pop figures are adorable little bobbleheads. :)

Another feature people might miss from MOO2 is leaders. No governors or admirals at all from what I've seen.

On the whole it's hard not to be wowed by the visuals, but beyond that it seems to be a capable remake of MOO2, but with enough changes that purists might be turned off. The game certainly doesn't make the mistake MOO3 made of trying to reinvent the wheel, but it remains to be seen if this will have the hidden depths of MOO2.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great post. Oddly enough, the increased production values are what caught my interest the most out of everything you wrote. Weird.

I like the diminishing returns on pop assigned to a task. Hopefully tech tree options manipulate it in various ways.

Combat sounds fine. I'd need to play with it a bit to have an opinion though. One day I hope someone takes Gratuitous Space Battles and plops it into a 4x as the space combat module. Ah well.

I have no opinion on wormholes versus the old system (speed tech, range tech, free travel). Both can work although like you said, wormholes is somewhat constraining which can result in defensive choke points and such. Meh.

It's a shame about the leaders. While I liked leaders in Moo2, other games have expanded on the role of leaders in these kinds of games and I think a modern take on Leaders could have been a lot of fun. That said, whatever. No where near a deal breaker for me.

I'm not sure about the system maps. Sounds like it makes the game extra fiddly moving from planet to planet as well as system to system but...I'd have to play to know if I care one way or another.

Way more important to me is an interesting and useful tech tree than one that provides you with tough choices. I would like both but interesting and useful beats choice every time, for me. So that remains to be seen. I despise "+1 range to ballistics weapons" or "+1 ship hp" tech trees. So very, very boring.

And let's face it, most people played with Creative and those that didn't made the exact same choices in the tech tree, game after game after game. Only those playing for variety would change it up a little, but that's like intentionally playing "sub-optimally" which is fine (I do it too) but less about tough choices and more about intentionally weaker choices.

After your post, I am suddenly way, way more interested than I was prior to it.

Fingers crossed.