Dishonored 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: Dishonored 2

Post by Lordnine »

Performance aside I have to say I am really enjoying this one. I’ve just made it to mission six and continue to be enthralled. They have really upped their game when it comes to multiple routes to victory; I often find alternate paths I never knew existed as I’m leaving a level. Although they may have got a little carried away with this in the Clock Work mansion.

If this had launched in a fully patched state it could easily have been game of the year material. As it is, I am hard-pressed to think of a game I have enjoyed more this year.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

No performance problems here yet. Although while I did pre-order it, I didn't get a chance to install it until a week ago, so I don't know if the normal Steam install includes any patches. Everything on Ultra, and Steam reports a solid 60 fps.

But yeah, I'm only in Mission 3, but loving it. Playing as Emily.
And just like the first game, I'm smitten with the art direction. Looks even better this time out.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the campaign yesterday. My final thoughts have a little less praise than my initial impressions. On the one hand, the gameplay is great and the level design might be even better than the original. Items and powers are also an improvement with quite a few new nonlethal options. Sticking all the cool abilities to lethal takedowns was probably my biggest complaint with the original game.

On the other hand, I feel like they dropped the ball on the story and character development. The original Dishonored presented an interesting world with mysterious yet memorable characters. Dishonored 2 has a more direct approach to its story development and I think the game world suffers for it.

Nowhere is this more apparent than with the Outsider, who gets a full backstory this time around, and in my opinion, ruins the character. The new voice actor they chose doesn’t help in this department either as he sounds younger and much less confident.

The ending itself is also a bit of a disappointment. I will keep it vague but Dishonored 1 was clearly never intended to have a sequel story wise. The ending wrapped up everything in a nice bow, or an ugly bow, if that is how you chose to play the game. That said, even the “bad” ending was fitting to the world and offered a satisfying conclusion. Dishonored 2 still gives you unique endings based on your actions but they feel inconsequential. It’s as if the developers were told that Dishonored 3 is happening so make sure you leave things open-ended!

Ultimately, I still recommend Dishonored 2 but I would say it is a weaker overall experience than the original game.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I have now done two playthroughs and spent 97 hours on Dishonored 2. (A few hours were spent with the game paused.) I played Corvo low chaos and Emily high chaos.

While I played through Dishonored twice, I never had the heart to ever kill anyone. Having now done it in the sequel - WOW, is the game easier when you don't mind killing people!

I think Emily is a bit overpowered. The shadow walk makes many encounters trivial. That says nothing about Domino and Doppleganger (or combining the two). Those powers make a lot of situations comically easy.

I loved the game, and think it's as good as the first overall. I must say what a pleasure it is to play a game with actual levels - as opposed to the current overdone trend of open world games. It certainly helps that both Dishonored games have the best overall level design I've seen since Batman Arkham Asylum, Thief 2, Metroid Prime, etc. I enjoy open world games to a point, but I feel like these carefully crafted level/mission oriented games have been too lost in the shuffle. I hope more developers will embrace this kind of design.

While playing Dishonored as a stealthy killing machine was a lot of fun, the stealthy no-kill approach was just tons of fun. The 2 Dishonored games scratch my Thief-longing itch much MUCH better than Thief 4 did. While I can be accused of holding any game called Thief to an impossible standard, the 2014 game pales in comparison to either Dishonored when it comes to level design. And, unlike Thief 3 and 4, I don't have to keep wandering over the same boring city sections time and time again between missions. (just a small boat!)

I will say, I was a bit bummed that of the 9 missions in Dishonored 2, three of them were just "get to the next mission" levels - well the first had a target, but he's dealt with so early it didn't really feel like he was the focus of the mission at all. While they were super fun and well designed, it seemed like there were just fewer targets than in the first game. I wish they could have added a few more assassination/elimination goals to make those missions seem "fuller".

I am sure I will be all over any single player DLC for this (presumably featuring Meagan). And, I will be hoping for a third game. Certainly my favorite 2016 game, though I haven't played a lot of them.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image

:ugeek: ... Dishonored 2 Free Trial
We’re pleased to announce that we’re releasing a free trial for Dishonored 2 on April 6 ... Available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, the free trial will allow players to dive into the first three missions of the campaign as either Empress Emily Kaldwin or the Royal Protector, Corvo Attano.

The free trial can be downloaded from Dishonored 2’s store page on the PSN Store, Xbox Marketplace and Steam. What’s more, players that decide to upgrade to the full game during or after the free trial will keep all of the saves made during the trial, and can continue enjoying Dishonored 2’s campaign from where they left off.
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

:o ... News from E3 .. Image

.. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider .. Stand-Alone title (avail Sept 15, 2017)
Ain't nobody got time for that
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Awesome. Dishonored 2 was a very good game marred by performance issues and in my opinion, some weird story choices. Hopefully this elevates it to the next level. I’m curious, if this really is a sendoff for the Outsider, will they get the original voice actor back or stick with the guy from D2?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I loved the first game, but for some reason never picked up #2. I saw it on sale at Steam so grabbed it for $13.99. I also love the stealth aspect, and will go for that.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've tried going back to this three times, and could just never get it to click. I found the squishy stealth mechanics to be utterly infuriating. Spent the majority of my time simply trying to figure out just how the hell I was being seen.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel the same. I muscled through the first one, but I always felt like this was a FPS pretending to be stealth-driven.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

Disagree with you guys. Both Dishonored games are closest thing (in quality) to the first 2 Thief games I have played since (in the stealth genre). I have played through both games completely doing non-lethal stealth.

The added bonus is that it is completely fun to play as a non-stealth FPS/FPA as well!

It bums me out that Thief is probably dead forever, and Dishonored is at least taking a long rest. I wish Arkane could get the rights to Thief, but after the abysmal last entry, I assume it's gone forever.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's impressive. I've really, really tried going to the stealth route but at some point it just feels like the game (both) is cheating and/or it wants me to just go on a rampage. I don't remember ever feeling that way in Thief and if you ever tried, you were mercilessly cut down.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

If you try to play it purely like Garret (ie. eschew powers) I think it would be quite tough. But with the powers I thought it was quite manageable.
Black Lives Matter

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm playing this now (ok, slight hiatus while I play Disco Elysium) and am thoroughly enjoying High Chaos, no mercy as Corvo. I may go back and play as Emily stealthily as possible but I may be kidding myself. It would certainly be easier to play stealth the second time around once I'm more familiar with the maps.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished the first 3 levels with Emily on full stealth (no kills but I got detected a lot). I am using a guide since some things are very convoluted, and I have FOMO. Have not upgraded any powers yet, but have a lot of Runes and Bonecharms. I definitely want to go back with Corvo on full chaos.

My favorite thing so far is:
Spoiler:
Getting the key to the black market back door and cleaning it out. No need to purchase anything there.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm going to remap 'Block/Choke' as I'm pretty uncoordinated and keep missing the default key :)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished the game on low chaos with only a few unintentional kills and one intentional:
Spoiler:
I found the Duke in his palace and subdued him. But I could not find his double for the nonlethal route, so I snuffed him out.
Now for full on chaos!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Man, high chaos IMO is a lot more fun. You get all the loot, and can still use stealth for certain occasions.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 pm Man, high chaos IMO is a lot more fun. You get all the loot, and can still use stealth for certain occasions.
You can get all the loot and play low chaos. :D

It's actually a lot easier in Dishonored 2 since there are now multiple ways of knocking people out.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Wrapped it up last night. I started using knock-out and stealth more as I didn't feel the need to clean out the entire map to then double-back and find every rune and bonecharm.

I bought Death of the Outsider during the same sale so am starting that now.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finished on medium/high chaos. Now I am doing a chaos run on hard - collecting all runes, all paintings, all blueprints, and so far all but 2 bone charms.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know whats up with this game. I installed it and click its shortcut to start and up pops a pic of Corvo and his daughter half and half face and nothing ever happens. The Nvidia logo disappears and I just sit there at that screen forever. If I hit ctrl-alt-del I can see that Dishonored 2 is slowly eating my memory. More and more and more very slowly. All I can do is end task.

EDIT: Never mind. Its a known issue. Got past that then encountered the squiggly graphics problem that is also spoken of in the discussions and couldn't even read the menu. Game seems complete trash so deleted it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"