Mass Effect: Andromeda

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906 wrote:Anyone with experience with green man gaming know when they usually drop the codes? I figured midnight, then noon, now ??? :|
Mass Effect Andromeda will officially release in North America on the 21st of March and 23rd of March in Europe. Green Man Gaming will only be distributing the game keys on the European release date (23 March), however, we are aiming to do our best to release the keys to customers as soon as we can. Please note that we are only able to guarantee that you will have your key within 48 hours of the European release as mentioned on the product page to set expectations.
Only guaranteed by Saturday? Oh no :grund:
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Scoop20906 wrote:Anyone with experience with green man gaming know when they usually drop the codes? I figured midnight, then noon, now ??? :|
Good gosh, I didn't get this game from GMG but I've gotten several others from them and the codes have always come well before release day. Have you checked your account at GMG? There is a page with all your orders, if the code is available it will show up there. And of course you should get an email.

Maybe this release is different because it is Origin...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

jztemple2 wrote:
Good gosh, I didn't get this game from GMG but I've gotten several others from them and the codes have always come well before release day. Have you checked your account at GMG? There is a page with all your orders, if the code is available it will show up there. And of course you should get an email.

Maybe this release is different because it is Origin...
Yeah, I've been checking quite consistently through the day. Im surprised as well. :evil:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Mass Effect Andromeda will officially release in North America on the 21st of March and 23rd of March in Europe. Green Man Gaming will only be distributing the game keys on the European release date (23 March), however, we are aiming to do our best to release the keys to customers as soon as we can. Please note that we are only able to guarantee that you will have your key within 48 hours of the European release as mentioned on the product page to set expectations.
Only guaranteed by Saturday? Oh no :grund:
They say 48 hours to give them leeway, but I've always gotten my GMG keys sometime the day before the game comes out. Nothing has changed here.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

GMG screwed the pooch big time on this one. They are on record as saying that they are holding key release until after the Euro Release date because it isnt fair to release the US keys before the Euro keys. Talk about a crock of shit. Seeing as their discount wasn't all that great, just a couple bucks less than Amazon, they have just lost my business. I would rather pay 2 bucks more for release day than wait an extra 2-4 days for them to get their thumbs out of their asses. I hope this decision hurts their bottom line in a major way.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Freyland wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Enlarge Image
How did you miss that as already posted on page 4? You were really really busy on that page!
The dude on the last panel with the brown hair has white tears...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the GMG thing, they are a UK company honoring the UK release date. 3/23 has been on the page for months. Also, they posted this 11 minutes ago:
Stark464
Stark464M11ma8
Keys will be sent out in the next few hours. I will make a post when they start being sent.
Stark is one of the GMG Mods.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oh I have one little bit of game feedback...

unskippable cutscenes

:evil:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

coopasonic wrote:On the GMG thing, they are a UK company honoring the UK release date. 3/23 has been on the page for months. Also, they posted this 11 minutes ago:
Stark464
Stark464M11ma8
Keys will be sent out in the next few hours. I will make a post when they start being sent.
They have acknowledged that they did not make it clear regarding the difference in Euro and US release dates. They also have not had this issue on prior staggered releases. They disavowed the statement that they were intentionally holding keys until the Euro release date, stating that the moderator misspoke. They are under no obligation to withhold US keys and apparently the flack they have taken has changed their stance, since they have indeed announced keys will be released soon. If this was about honoring the UK release date, why are they changing things now? I call spin doctor level bullshit here. They screwed up and now they are trying to duck and cover. Hopefully they will get the keys out soon but there's been so much inconsistent info from them I wont believe it until I see it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

GMG has been good to me in the past but yeah, for whatever reason, they aren't doing a good job with this one. That said, today they very amenably refunded my preorder through them that I placed weeks ago and I bought it directly through Origin, instead. Sucks to lose the discount versus EA's price but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (the issue may be that EA hasn't given them keys yet) and the goodwill for not screwing around with refunds.

To continue getting this thread back on topic, some impressions of the game (I played the first few hours through the EA Access trial last week):

In short, I'm cautiously optimistic. My favourite part of the early game was the hints of discord on the neo-Citadel. That dynamic, in particular one conversation about who people "pretend to be", was the freshest and most interesting thing I experienced. I hope that that plot thread is followed up in some depth later one.

I was disappointed by how generic the intro video was. I know they want to distance themselves from the first trilogy, but they could have offered something more specific than horribly over-worn cliches to explain why all these people want to travel hundreds of years to a new galaxy. A reference to fear of the Reapers, or a desire to never again see another Blasto movie, or... something that tied the start of the game to the franchise in general would have been nice. But all they offer is platitudes about fresh starts and new homes and brighter futures. Just... meh.

Playing on PC, I didn't notice any significant bugs. The worst I remember seeing was, on exiting the Nomad one time, my companions re-spawned in mid-air above the vehicle and then fell to the ground. A little immersion breaking, sure, but otherwise not a big deal.

I will say that the menu system looks to be a mess. The onion has too many layers and it takes too many clicks to drill down to (or back out from) actual information about a particular quest or what spending a particular skill point will get you.

The graphics were certainly pretty. I think Horizon: Zero Dawn is probably prettier, but that game was optimized for one console and, playing Andromeda, my PC is about a year old now and not entirely cutting edge, so I'm still satisfied with the amount of visual pizazz.

Combat felt fine and familiar, although I am very disappointed in the removal of the ability to tactically use your squadmates' powers. For one thing, it makes the companions feel more generic and interchangeable. I didn't get far enough to mess around with the "replacement" of being able to swap out multiple skill sets for Ryder him/her-self. That new system, tied as it is to "classless" approach of letting you pick any skills you want, also concerns me for reducing replayability. Playing an Infiltrator instead of a Vanguard, for instance, was one of the most powerful ways to differentiate playthroughs of the first games. If every shotgun-wielding biotic commando is also now free to pull out a sniper rifle at whim, then one Ryder character is much less distinguishable from another.

Anyway, writing this has killed a little time at work this afternoon... only a couple more hours and I can go home and play some more.

- Ash
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

rshetts2 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:On the GMG thing, they are a UK company honoring the UK release date. 3/23 has been on the page for months. Also, they posted this 11 minutes ago:
Stark464
Stark464M11ma8
They have acknowledged that they did not make it clear regarding the difference in Euro and US release dates. They also have not had this issue on prior staggered releases. They disavowed the statement that they were intentionally holding keys until the Euro release date, stating that the moderator misspoke. They are under no obligation to withhold US keys and apparently the flack they have taken has changed their stance, since they have indeed announced keys will be released soon. If this was about honoring the UK release date, why are they changing things now? I call spin doctor level bullshit here. They screwed up and now they are trying to duck and cover. Hopefully they will get the keys out soon but there's been so much inconsistent info from them I wont believe it until I see it.
Idiots!! I just request a refund.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Now I am stuck on release day with either buying it digitally for $59 or waiting for Amazon to ship it to me in two days for $48. Very irritating.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

rshetts2 wrote:GMG screwed the pooch big time on this one. They are on record as saying that they are holding key release until after the Euro Release date because it isnt fair to release the US keys before the Euro keys. Talk about a crock of shit. Seeing as their discount wasn't all that great, just a couple bucks less than Amazon, they have just lost my business. I would rather pay 2 bucks more for release day than wait an extra 2-4 days for them to get their thumbs out of their asses. I hope this decision hurts their bottom line in a major way.
I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater on this issue. I'm a GMG VIP (IE I have an account there) and I've never had an issue with AAA titles like this on pre-order. I think this is more of a special circumstance, especially since it's being released through Origins. When using GMG for Steam or Uplay keys, I've always gotten them in plenty of time to pre-order.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got my key from GMG 26 minutes ago, FYI.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

coopasonic wrote:I got my key from GMG 26 minutes ago, FYI.
I'm glad you got your code.

I acted on the press release I would need to wait 3 to 5 days after release. Not my fault they decided to change the policy after I already requested the refund. You can't put something like that out the day before release and not expect people to get "upset".

I'm not writing them off but I'm less than pleased with this situation.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scoop20906 wrote:
I'm glad you got your code.

I acted on the press release I would need to wait 3 to 5 days after release. Not my fault they decided to change the policy after I already requested the refund. You can't put something like that out the day before release and not expect people to get "upset".

I'm not writing them off but I'm less than pleased with this situation.
*shrug* like I said last night (or this morning, they are blending in)... I ended up paying for the EA/Origin Access thing so I could play while I waited. I considered cancelling and ordering elsewhere, but it wasn't worth the effort when $5 could bridge the gap. Of course at that time I didn't know I would get my key so soon (and heck I don't know yet if the key will work before the 23rd anyway) or that the EA access trial was limited in more than just duration.

I am not happy with it, but GMG is the only vendor I trust that gives a 18-20% discount on digital keys (in release window) and this is the first time they have messed up for me in a couple years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Asharak wrote:I didn't get far enough to mess around with the "replacement" of being able to swap out multiple skill sets for Ryder him/her-self. That new system, tied as it is to "classless" approach of letting you pick any skills you want, also concerns me for reducing replayability. Playing an Infiltrator instead of a Vanguard, for instance, was one of the most powerful ways to differentiate playthroughs of the first games. If every shotgun-wielding biotic commando is also now free to pull out a sniper rifle at whim, then one Ryder character is much less distinguishable from another.
I'll say it again when this type of discussion comes up, nothing prevents you from playing a class exclusively if you want. You can keep your distinguishable shotgun wielding biotic commando separate from your infiltrator sniper if you want. It's entirely your choice :)
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Just checked and mine came in 47 minutes ago. Thanks for prompting me to check!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:
Asharak wrote:I didn't get far enough to mess around with the "replacement" of being able to swap out multiple skill sets for Ryder him/her-self. That new system, tied as it is to "classless" approach of letting you pick any skills you want, also concerns me for reducing replayability. Playing an Infiltrator instead of a Vanguard, for instance, was one of the most powerful ways to differentiate playthroughs of the first games. If every shotgun-wielding biotic commando is also now free to pull out a sniper rifle at whim, then one Ryder character is much less distinguishable from another.
I'll say it again when this type of discussions come up, nothing prevents you from playing a class exclusively if you want. You can keep your distinguishable shotgun wielding biotic commando separate from your infiltrator sniper if you want. It's entirely your choice :)

Do you really get multiple skill sets? Profiles are NOT multiple skill sets. I am not far into the game, but I see one skill set. Depending on how you spec you can switch profiles that give you different bonuses but those profiles are unlocked and improved through spending points in certain combinations in your skill trees. You can do everything... you can't do everything well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Does anyone know how to change the drive that Origin installs to? I have two drives and I don't want it on the OS drive, which is where it wants to install. I've looked online but the current solutions that I see don't see relevant any longer. Anyone? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, they changed the Application Settings screen, I found it!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Well, props to GMG for fixing their snafu. Finally got my key and it's now downloading.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

coopasonic wrote: You can do everything... you can't do everything well.
You can respec your skill set and completely redo your skill sets. The terminal is on your ship, i forget where. I know the first time cost is 20 credits, says that it increases each time you do respec. So you can choose to play a full on biotic or conversely full on tech. But as you said, you cant do both at the same time.

Also found their Tutorials segment that's very comprehensive. Pause -> game -> tutorials.

Found out that holding the D pad down in a certain direction will cancel your orders for squads positions.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I haven't read the reviews so other than the graphics complaints I'm not sure why it's getting "panned" but I am enjoying this game a lot
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I've been playing and enjoy the game. At first, I was a bit concerned by pretty much all the issues raised, but I think that the main issue is just that the opening of the game isn't that well done. That said, once you get beyond that and things open up everything honestly gets better. Even little things like having Ryder change into a less dorky wardrobe helps. (I now have my femRyder walking around like a bad-ass in faux leather with a cool scarf). Also, the new ship is AWESOME. I spent like 30 minutes just checking out every nook and cranny when I first got access to it. Yes, the game does need some patches devoted to polish, but even in the current state I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its the internet and the dogpile phenomena. I havent had any real issues at all. Could the facial animation graphics be better? Sure, but they are just fine. Im not seeing anything different in facial animation from what I saw in Horizon Zero Dawn and people and raving about that game. The combat mechanics are in line with the series standards as well. The only real complaint I can see is that it is "more of the same old thing" Kind of like when the last Diablo came out. Is it a "10" game? No, probably not but it is a solid entry into the series. Sometimes I think gamers have become so entitled that they think if a game does not check every single box they want, its a bust.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yup, enjoying the game here. I've avoided all information about the game and all the reviews before playing, and I'd be hard pressed to pick out too much I don't like. I did tweak some of the graphics and turn off the motion blur, and it does seem like the facial animations are a little exaggerated sometimes, but that hardly detracts, and otherwise it's an enjoyable game.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I have to disagree quite a lot. A lot of gamers aren't entitled really. ME was a pretty great series of games and wanting the next one to be a step up and great is not unreasonable. Something just being ok or not bad isn't what fans of the series really want. This was a real opportunity to knock it out of the park not swing and miss, the fact they hit it to first base is nothing to celebrate.

It is possible to have a series of games that get better or are great, I always think of GTA game which have pretty much been great. They appreciate the IP and don't treat it as cash cow, which it feels like EA has done this time. If the game is great then it will make a shed load anyways but there seems like it's a money maker over anything else.

I really wanted to buy the game but at £50 it really isn't showing that sort of value. I have Nier Automata which I got for £30 and is really hitting the spot. I don't like to use the term waiting for a sale but this ticks all of those boxes, not great maybe not really good just ok, a few issues which in 6 months will likely be ironed out and a £20 price point and away we go.

There is such a wide choice of games as well as big backlogs it really has to be something new or very good to buy in the first week or 2 let alone pre order. Opportunity missed really.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

My experience with the game is that it is a home run...at least so far. I am enjoying it more the ME3 (for whatever that's worth)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Reemul wrote:I really wanted to buy the game but at £50 it really isn't showing that sort of value.
Why not?
storz

Post by storz »

Enjoying the game as well, but this sure has some stupid UI design issue: for example, to open map,there is one key stroke to open it, but to get out of the map, you have to double click or 2 key strokes to get out? Why can I just use standard "M" to open/close map, also earlier on, the R&D is just overwhelming, as it just shows you all the R&D items when you open the menu...

Other than some of these UI issue I'm having with the game (slowly getting use to them now, still annoying), I'm enjoying the ride so far, the story is engaging enough, the combat is pretty good, although I can't seem to be able to order my AI squad to use their powers like the previous ME games, but the shooting and jetpack around is really fun.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Sepiche wrote:
Reemul wrote:I really wanted to buy the game but at £50 it really isn't showing that sort of value.
Why not?
Poor story, nothing original at all, poor UI, generic rehash, missed opportunity, same old clichés.

£50 = Fresh, exciting, brings something new to the table, worth that little bit extra. £50 is $80 that's a lot cash for me for 1 generic game that most reviews are saying is only OK.

I am disappointed in that though, I wanted it to be more and see no reason why it couldn't have been.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Reemul wrote: Poor story, nothing original at all, poor UI, generic rehash, missed opportunity, same old clichés.

£50 = Fresh, exciting, brings something new to the table, worth that little bit extra. £50 is $80 that's a lot cash for me for 1 generic game that most reviews are saying is only OK.

I am disappointed in that though, I wanted it to be more and see no reason why it couldn't have been.
I see. So how far did you get into the game?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why dig at him about it. Its in the reviews and is clear in the videos. The eyes and faces alone are so distracting its unplayable to some.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Daehawk wrote:Why dig at him about it. Its in the reviews and is clear in the videos. The eyes and faces alone are so distracting its unplayable to some.
Dig at him? I'm just curious how far he got in the game so I have a baseline for his opinions. The game opens up quite a bit as you get into it, and if he stopped before then it makes a difference.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I still remember my first time through ME3 when my Shepard's eyelids would disappear in half the cutscenes. Also, the character import tool didn't do too well, my black Shepard looked like he had white powder sprinkled all over his head. "IT'S A NON-CONTAGEOUS SKIN CONDITION, DAMMIT!"
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sepiche wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Why dig at him about it. Its in the reviews and is clear in the videos. The eyes and faces alone are so distracting its unplayable to some.
Dig at him? I'm just curious how far he got in the game so I have a baseline for his opinions. The game opens up quite a bit as you get into it, and if he stopped before then it makes a difference.
Ah ok then. I took it that he could not afford to pay that for a game right now after reading the reviews and that he has not played it. I may have read that wrong. My medicine came in today and its kicking me good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So, I "passed" on Chief Lucan's side task when first talking with him in the Nexus. Will I have an opportunity to pick it up again, or was that a one time offer?
Hodor.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote:Make note, if your graphics look terrible, this is the one game from this century that doesn't auto-detect and set resolution. Initially I was playing while it was still loading so I attributed the low res to that... Yeah, no I played for 4 hours last night at 1280x768.
Maybe it had something to do with playing while it was still downloading? I started mine after it finished (kicked the download off before bed) and it defaulted to full 4K when I started it.

I spent all day yesterday playing it and I'm really enjoying it so far. The tensions on the Nexus and the fallout with the Krogan so far seem to be setting up some neat story lines. I have no idea what people's beef is with the animations - they look perfectly fine to me, if not quite cutting edge. But hey, people find the weirdest things to freak out about.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Wow, the eyes are bad. There are times characters are staring off in all kind of directions.

But, this game is so fun. I am really enjoying myself and I am enjoying the story so far.

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Anyone gotten a handle on the multiplayer? Is you Vs other players or you and other players Vs enemy AI?

Once i hit Nexus I ended up clearing most of the missions they have on there before really starting on the 2nd Andromed. planet. So far a I've found a combination of biotics and tech to be helpful in terms of skill trees. Both counter the enemies I've come across quite nicely. I've split the skill points equally in both so far. Am LVL 8 right now. What combo's have others have found useful?

Also, took me a few to clue into this...but some powers are primers, others detonators. If you look closely on the skill icon, some will look like a multiple strand firecracker, while others look like a detonations plunger. The former are primers, latter are detonators. But if you combo them together while fighting they add a nice bit of damage. Consequently am managing my team composition so we have a nice blend of primers & detonators.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.