Mass Effect: Andromeda

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by Max Peck »

Peebee's Loyalty Mission Gameplay (4K 60fps)
Join us as we accompany Peebee on her loyalty mission in Mass Effect Andromeda. This footage has been edited to avoid spoilers.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

She was annoying too chatty.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

Grifman wrote:She was annoying too chatty.
Most women are :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does she have a brother named Jay?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats a really cool video. Lots of neat stuff.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

That video reminded me a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Quick look at the Tempest and crew

Anyone else unhappy with whats know about the romance options in this game? If what Ive seen and read about partner options im super miffed at it.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

F****CK!!! People are streaming this. I WANTS TO PLAY!!!

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Is anyone on the board playing this? I'd love to hear some impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Scoop20906 wrote:Is anyone on the board playing this? I'd love to hear some impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AFAIK there is no public release until thursday, when the EA elite club allows early access to members. Any video so far has been pre release build.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those of us looking for a reason to not pre-order or rush into buying the game, there's this from Rock Paper Shotgun: The first few hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda are… well they aren’t good
I had, by purpose or distraction, not found out anything about Mass Effect Andromeda [official site] before playing its review build, beyond that it was set in a whole new galaxy. Ooh goody, I thought! A sci-fi RPG series I completely loved, but with a fresh start, baggage shed, and the extraordinary potential of a setting in a galaxy entirely unlike our own.

Yeah, about that. The first few hours of Andromeda are a gruesome trudge through the most trite bilge of the previous three games, smeared out in a setting that’s horribly familiar, burdened with some outstandingly awful writing, buried beneath a UI that appears to have been designed to infuriate in every possible way.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah John's preview is pretty brutal. he hasn't played DA:I and some of the comments say his complaints are similar to the ones in DA:I

So far it is putting me off getting this, definitely going to wait a bit.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

We'll see. I loved DA:I, so if it's like that, then it'll probably be fine with me. I do love the Mass Effect universe, so odds are I will enjoy it even if it turns out to be mediocre. It'll be a shame if it turns out to be terrible, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Take it with a grain of salt. From what I've read of RPS in the past, their tastes and mine just don't agree. Kokatu have an entirely different take:

http://kotaku.com/five-hours-in-mass-ef ... 1793268493
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Grifman wrote:Take it with a grain of salt. From what I've read of RPS in the past, their tastes and mine just don't agree. Kokatu have an entirely different take:

A pretty positive comment in the Kotaku article is the side-quests reminds her of DA:I minus the filler quests.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

As to the "outstandingly awful writing" part of the RPS review - Mass Effect has always had that (most notably the MA3 ending, and the "human reaper" idiotic bullshit), so I'm expecting that to some degree, although the in-game side quest writing has for the most part been pretty good (most of ME3 up to the ending), so I'm semi-hopeful on that.

Plus, you know, blue boobs.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Scoop20906 wrote:
Grifman wrote:Take it with a grain of salt. From what I've read of RPS in the past, their tastes and mine just don't agree. Kokatu have an entirely different take:

A pretty positive comment in the Kotaku article is the side-quests reminds her of DA:I minus the filler quests.
It is pretty interesting how the Kotaku writer presented the murder side-quest as a non-filler, interesting quest while that same quest was thought of as rote and uninspired by the RPS reviewer. Different strokes and all that.
El Guapo wrote:Plus, you know, blue boobs.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The main thing putting me off this game is a lack of XBone. I'm sorry, I'm not playing a Mass Effect game unless I'm sprawled out on a couch looking at a 42 inch TV.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

modern computers output hdmi, moderns TVs accept hdmi, what's your problem?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Actually, for once, the answer isn't "I'm lazy". The HDMI ports on my TV got fried by a power surge a couple of years ago (the TV and cable box were on a surge protector for power, but the data cable was not).
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

El Guapo wrote:Plus, you know, blue boobs.
Blewbs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I watched over two hours of gameplay tonight, and IMO, any concerns are way overblown. It's a Mass Effect game through and through, with all the strengths and weaknesses that entails, with some cool additions. Crafting and weapon upgrades are cool (I like that stuff) and combat look fine. If you take your time there looks to be some cool exploration involved, but you can rush through if you want. I know they wanted to make combat more fluid, but I do miss the ability to control my companions and set up combos using my powers and theirs. That was a lot of fun in the past.

But overall, if you like the prior entries in the series, you'll probably enjoy this one too.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

They are screwed either way. If it draws on the previous games, people will bitch because its derivative. If it charts its own path, people will bitch because it abandoned what made the series great. If it tries to find some middle ground, people will bitch because it compromised too much. The problem isnt necessarily the game, its that no matter what, people are going to bitch. After all this is the internet.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

rshetts2 wrote:They are screwed either way. If it draws on the previous games, people will bitch because its derivative. If it charts its own path, people will bitch because it abandoned what made the series great. If it tries to find some middle ground, people will bitch because it compromised too much. The problem isnt necessarily the game, its that no matter what, people are going to bitch. After all this is the internet.
I think saying they are "screwed" is an overstatement.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

If you have Origin Access (or EA Access on XBox One), 10 hours of trial time in the full game are now available.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:I watched over two hours of gameplay tonight, and IMO, any concerns are way overblown.
I watched 90 minutes last night and I agree. I'm still looking forward to this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Another write up from RPS from a different writer.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... -problems/

I do want this but...
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

coopasonic wrote:
Grifman wrote:I watched over two hours of gameplay tonight, and IMO, any concerns are way overblown.
I watched 90 minutes last night and I agree. I'm still looking forward to this.
Me too!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I will express my level of anticipation by noting that the pre-load footprint is 48,556,652,548 bytes. :ninja:

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I have some nits to pick:

Aliens often appear out of dropships to attack. Ok, well and good, but if those dropships hung around as they should and did a couple of strafing runs, we'd be toast. Somehow, these games totally forget air support. Give us counter air support, or portable AA missiles, or even cooler, let us use use biotics to bring a ship down to give the baddies pause.

We're supposed to be an elite pathfinder team, but apparently we've never met and trained together before reaching Andromeda? That makes no sense. It wouldn't take a log of thought to come up with a scenario that puts us in circumstances that throw us together unknown to each other. Sloppy plotting by the writers.

A big moment occurs far too early in the plot. This would be better coming later in the game when you would know the characters better and it would have a more meaningful emotional impact. Right now it's too early to do so.

Allen tech shows up to be researched before you should even know what it is. You should have to salvage weapons or blueprints first, not show me a list if every alien weapon and requirements up front.

The last thing is something that concerned me when I first read the plot. What is preventing an alien fleet from just wiping out any newly established colonies? The arks should have at least carried some defense ships with them. Otherwise, they are all just sitting ducks. Even one enemy or pirate ship could easily destroy a small colony early on. Maybe they'll be able to set up some defenses, but I've seen anything like this so far.

But I still think I will enjoy the game :)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Grifman wrote:The last thing is something that concerned me when I first read the plot. What is preventing an alien fleet from just wiping out any newly established colonies? The arks should have at least carried some defense ships with them. Otherwise, they are all just sitting ducks. Even one enemy or pirate ship could easily destroy a small colony early on. Maybe they'll be able to set up some defenses, but I've seen anything like this so far.

But I still think I will enjoy the game :)
I'd argue that ship to ship combat in space is silly, but...I'll suspend disbelief and point out that in the ME universe there are ground to space weapons. Maybe the colonies have those? Or are they specifically claiming to be defenseless?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

If you pre-ordered I'd suggest you start downloading if you can. It's huge and slow....
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Newcastle wrote:If you pre-ordered I'd suggest you start downloading if you can. It's huge and slow....
I grabbed it yesterday, and the download rate from Origin wasn't any slower than what I get from Steam (i.e. the choke point is my modem, not their servers). One nice thing with the Origin pre-load compared to Steam is that it doesn't seem to be encrypted, so it won't take longer to unpack it than it did to download it. :)

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think I read that you can start playing once it reaches something like 25% done.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I canceled my pre-order. I figure, if the reviews are good, you get 2 weeks for the special Amazon Prime 20% off price. But since I am currently playing Horizons Zero Dawn, which has an excellent world, story, characters, and gameplay, I can't abide by something hackneyed and thrown together.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really wish they had not given on of the love interest a lesbian hair cut. Ugh. Maybe this time I can make a character thats something other than Latino too lol. I gave up in the other games and just used default Shepard.