Mass Effect: Andromeda

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Post by IceBear »

To be honest I haven't tried driving with a mouse and keyboard...I started the game using the controller and finding it easier for running around or driving but was getting frustrated at aiming in combat so I started using the mouse there.

For years I have been forcing myself to get used to an Xbox controller for most games that were developed for the Xbox as well as the PC as it just seemed easier than remapping the keyboard and mouse to how I wanted
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:Can you remove weapon mods before scrapping/deconstructing a weapon? Or are they lost? And can you swap out different weapon mods? Same question regarding weapon augments. Thanks.
Mods are removable.

I only have two missions left. I don't know if more will pop up after I take on the remaining priority missions, but it is feeling like the end. I am kitted out in tier 7 gear (except my tier 5 PAW because I am NOT giving that up) and the levels are coming way slower now. I suspect I will finish it tonight or tomorrow. I will leave a bunch of Tasks unfinished because without waypoints to at least the general locations, it's just not going to happen.

Also it looks like Nexus level does have a cap, my xp bar there is full and showing -700 points to next level, so you can't get every cryo unlock.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gbasden wrote:That surprises me - I haven't had a problem driving with mouse and keyboard.
It's just me. I can't play any game that uses WASD for movement. It's just too imprecise for me, and I'm just not coordinated enough to manage movement using those keys. There are a number of great twin stick shooters and other games out there that use WASD that I just pass up. Let me use my mouse to indicate direction or to point where I want my character to go like in any RPG.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Another dumb question. Can't you call down your ship to pick you up rather than driving to the Tempest? I thought I read that. Is so, how do you do that?

And is the result of planetary mining just automatically added? You don't have to go and pick the stuff do you?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Grifman wrote:Another dumb question. Can't you call down your ship to pick you up rather than driving to the Tempest? I thought I read that. Is so, how do you do that?
You can fast travel to anything on the map with a double arrow on the icon including the Tempest.
Grifman wrote:And is the result of planetary mining just automatically added? You don't have to go and pick the stuff do you?
Yup, no need to pick it up as far as I've noticed.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:Another dumb question. Can't you call down your ship to pick you up rather than driving to the Tempest? I thought I read that. Is so, how do you do that?

And is the result of planetary mining just automatically added? You don't have to go and pick the stuff do you?
There is one location where you MUST use the T button (hold it down) to return to the Tempest because you CAN'T get out of the Nomad. I haven't tried that button anywhere else, though I meant to. Ignoring that, the tempest location is generally a fast travel point (spacebar on the map).

Yes, mining goes straight to your inventory.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

With my gamepad, if I'm in the Nomad and hold down the Y button it will bring me back aboard the Tempest. I suspect that if you're on a mission that doesn't let you save then that feature will be disabled too.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sepiche wrote:
You can fast travel to anything on the map with a double arrow on the icon including the Tempest.
That works great until your Tempest disappears off your map for some reason :)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

OMG! The architect boss fight is friggin hard!
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dude, that not a boss... There are at least 3 of them, maybe more.

I had big problems with it the first time I ran into one, but they are really easy now (thanks PAW). It's a pretty predictable pattern and he telegraphs each attack. You need to keep aware and keep moving. If you stand still you are going to die.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Grifman wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
Ah, figured there was more to it, but I must not have seen that yet.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Grifman wrote:
Sepiche wrote:
The only time Ive had the Tempest disappear off the map was due to different map levels. I simply cycled through the map levels and found it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, still learning the game systems. Landed on a new planet. So where is my Nomad? I don't have any FOB's yet so I can't summon my Nomad. So how do I get it when I first land on a planet? Can't figure out how to get it. Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, you get to the nearest FOB location, it is deployed automatically and now I can call the Nomad.

Edit: Ok, I'm still stuck. FOB is in place, I go to the loadout screen, find my Nomad, confirm loadout and nothing happens. Now do I get this thing deployed?!?!

Edit: Hah, "A Nomad cannot be deployed at this location." Gotta find another FOB then.
Brian

Post by Brian »

If you are on Havarl, you won't be able to deploy the Nomad at all. (IIRC)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

49 hours, 89% completion, 56th level and I am done.

49 hours in 10 days... yeah you could say I liked it. :)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Brian wrote:If you are on Havarl, you won't be able to deploy the Nomad at all. (IIRC)
Yep, that is it. Really cool planet, also very scary because your line of sight is so limited. But I got the Infiltrator profile which gives me the ability to see enemies behind cover with my scope, so I just walk around, checking everything with my scope every so often.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'm still loving this game. It's my favorite of the Mass Effect series at this point. I must have 40 hours in and there still a ton of stuff to do. I'm taking some time to knock off a bunch of side missions before advancing the plot some more.

I also enjoy how leveling up gives you a sense of growing power. I think I have about the same build as Coop, mostly solider with a couple of specific lines in tech. Using the P.A.W. as my main with the auto N7 shotgun as my back up for when things get in my face. I was lugging around a sniper for a while too, but then realized that I just wasn't using it much.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Had an issue with the big (?) Infiltrate The Base mission on Voeld. Got through everything and was on what I assume was the final piece of the mission where I had to defeat the Prefect.

I had already accomplished all the other mission objectives and the Prefect was the only enemy remaining.... except they were stuck inside the walls of the base.

I could see the rotating shield orb come out of the wall and back into it as it rotated around the Prefect and if I got close enough they would fire at me but neither I nor my teammates could do any damage to it at all.

Had to completely restart the mission and then it happened AGAIN!

Hopefully I'll be able to get through it tonight.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've just encountered the Angara for the first time. I'm dragging my feet a bit (maybe I'm doing too many side quests), but I'm at level 10 at this point.

Still glad I bought this game. And still loving the graphics in HDR.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I did every side quest I ran across, at the end I was getting a little tired of it, but not because of any of the content. I got tired of moving back and forth between systems and planets. The transitions are way too long for something you have to do so often. In the early game there are a bunch of things to do on each planet, at the end you go for on or two things then off to another location for one thing, etc.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote:I did every side quest I ran across, at the end I was getting a little tired of it, but not because of any of the content. I got tired of moving back and forth between systems and planets. The transitions are way too long for something you have to do so often. In the early game there are a bunch of things to do on each planet, at the end you go for on or two things then off to another location for one thing, etc.
Yeah, I'm starting to notice already that some side quests have me going to multiple locations, or things are "on hold" while other parts of the story progress.

I just have to remind myself to stay focused on the story sometimes, because I can get bogged down doing side quests. This is my usual issue with open world type RPGs - I see a side quest, start doing it, and forget to make progress with the narrative. Then I get bored and quit. I'm still amazed I finished GTAV sometimes, but the characters in that game were so engaging that I really didn't care how long I was playing.
Hodor.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

coopasonic wrote:49 hours, 89% completion, 56th level and I am done.

49 hours in 10 days... yeah you could say I liked it. :)
89% completion? Without spoilers what kind of stuff is left over? Mining locations?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't know what is counted in that number. I left two quests (that were very task-like) and a bunch of tasks unfinished. For the most part I only finished tasks incidentally. I did almost no mining.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Curious because I've played this beginning piece twice:
Spoiler:
How do you pass the subquest to assign your squadmates to move in position to protect each side of your father while he's opening the vault? I've failed it twice. Once I moved my team mates to cover the lower entry ways, and failed. Then I moved them to cover the top entry ways and I failed I have no idea where I am supposed to move them and get a pass on this part of the quest.
Also, how do you change the side (right/left) you are shooting on out of cover? Thanks.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:Also, how do you change the side (right/left) you are shooting on out of cover?
With M/K, it defaults to ALT.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Grifman wrote:Curious because I've played this beginning piece twice:
Spoiler:
How do you pass the subquest to assign your squadmates to move in position to protect each side of your father while he's opening the vault? I've failed it twice. Once I moved my team mates to cover the lower entry ways, and failed. Then I moved them to cover the top entry ways and I failed I have no idea where I am supposed to move them and get a pass on this part of the quest.
Also, how do you change the side (right/left) you are shooting on out of cover? Thanks.
Regarding your spoiler:
Spoiler:
I may be wrong, but from what I remember of that part of the mission, there are some crates between the ramps that go up and the main building. Cora and Liam should be assigned there.
Hodor.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Spoiler:
The game puts a faint glowy blue circle around a spot on each side of the area. You're supposed to send one of them to inside each circle. You're probably trying to be far too clever for an interface tutorial quest. :)

- Ash
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Asharak wrote:
Spoiler:
The game puts a faint glowy blue circle around a spot on each side of the area. You're supposed to send one of them to inside each circle. You're probably trying to be far too clever for an interface tutorial quest. :)

- Ash
I failed that subquest too. When I was positioning them they insisted on standing in the open so I just figured if they wanted to die go for it. They were annoying anyway.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unlike in past Mass Effect games I've played, I don't think it's possible for your team to die. I'm still early days, though, so I could be wrong.
Hodor.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

pr0ner wrote:Unlike in past Mass Effect games I've played, I don't think it's possible for your team to die. I'm still early days, though, so I could be wrong.
They can't perma-die that I've seen, but then can definitely take damage, fall down, and need you to come heal them before they can fight again.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

gbasden wrote:
pr0ner wrote:Unlike in past Mass Effect games I've played, I don't think it's possible for your team to die. I'm still early days, though, so I could be wrong.
They can't perma-die that I've seen, but then can definitely take damage, fall down, and need you to come heal them before they can fight again.
Ah, okay. I clearly haven't gotten into that situation yet!
Hodor.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Asharak wrote:
Spoiler:

- Ash
This. Being tactically aware, I sent them up the upper ramps where the could cover both the lower and upper ramps from a single position :)
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Finished the game last night and it was a great ride. I'll eventually play through again as Scott instead of Sara, probably as a pure biotic just to be different. I'll be waiting for the eventual "Game of the Year" edition or whatever they'll call it first though. In the current condition I give the game a very good B+ as is. Totally worth my $47 from Amazon.

One thing that I thought for sure was going to happen at the very end didn't. Maybe I was just crazy or maybe it will happen in a future game:
Spoiler:
I thought for sure that an exalted Alec Ryder was going to the final boss. When he died at the beginning of the game we never saw the body. (At least I don't think).
Brian

Post by Brian »

Has anybody else found the "Mysterious Button" in the Collective base on Kadara?

Good thing I saved before hitting it. :)
Spoiler:
No, I'm not going to tell you what it does. You'll just have to find it and push it for yourself.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Asharak wrote:
Spoiler:

- Ash
I still can't do it. I don't really see that circle and I try to position them behind the barriers but I still fail. Just seems to finicky to work.

Ah, finally saw it, was further up than I though it would be, got it now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Patch 1.05 rolled out today.
Patch notes.
Multiplayer balance update.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote:Patch 1.05 rolled out today.
Patch notes.
Multiplayer balance update.
Dead eye stare is gone:

http://kotaku.com/mass-effect-andromeda ... 1794078742

Enlarge Image

She's still and a**hole though :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:She's still and a**hole though :)
That feature is working as intended.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I just finished the early priority missions on Eos, and established a settlement there. Enjoying the game quite a bit - exploring the Remnant vault was fun, even if it's annoying that they don't let you do manual saves during main storyline missions. At least I was relieved that they don't kill you for screwing up the jumping in the Remnant vault.

Also have improved significantly in combat once: (1) I gave my biotic Overload from the tech tree to deal with shields; (2) realized I hadn't leveled up my companions; and (3) realized the assault rifle I was using was a shitty level 1 common assault rifle, and switched to a rare shotgun (now a level 2 version modded to shoot plasma bolts).
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Persona 5 has completely clunked for me, so I'm going to fire this up tonight (on PS4).

I have lowered my expectations to almost nil, which I think will probably help.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.