Car Mechanic Simulator 2015

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Car Mechanic Simulator 2015

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might be interested in Car Mechanic Simulator 2015, it's on sale for 35% off for the next two days. On the Steam store page there is a downloadable demo. Steam reviews have been very positive. The developer has been very supportive with new content, including free and pay DLC plus updates. It was only 20% off during the Summer Sale so I held off, but at 35% off I think I'll make the leap.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015

Post by jztemple2 »

I did get the game and played a few jobs. Cars look pretty:

And I've already got more orders lined up to go:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Speaking of cars, there are more of them in this edition:

I have three hours on it right now and I'm still unlocking a lot of content.

I would say that this game would appeal to folks who like Euro Truck Simulator 2. Of course it's fixing cars, not driving trucks, but it has that nice relaxing vibe to it. The challenges of fixing the cars aren't overwhelming and there's no timer. And your order form will flag you if you don't complete all the requested work or, heaven forbid, you forget to put back on all the parts you took off :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I bought it yesterday and played for a couple of hours. It's repetitive and kind of slow going, but for some reason I still kept playing it for 2 hours. I want to get to the auction mechanic and see what that is about. I am just starting to get into jobs that don't give you a specific list of parts to replace. I'd say it's more of a time killer than an interesting game at this point. I have no idea how I ended playing this over Dying Light, but I did.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Is there anything about this that could be considered 'educational' in terms of learning a little about real-world car repairs?

I've always wished I knew more about the inner workings of my own vehicles, and wanted to undertake my own minor repairs, but the diagnosis and actual labor are daunting to me - along with the concern that I'll screw it up and have to then pay to tow my car elsewhere to get it done correctly.

The last "Simulator" game I bought was a Farming one, and the gameplay was abysmal. I imagine the only thing it did well was letting people see different pieces of farm equipment in action.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I wouldn't call this educational in any way. It might give you a better idea of where various bits are typically found on a car, but not much else. Of course I took small engines and auto shop in high school and have some practical experience doing minor repairs (replacements) on my own vehicles in college so I might not be the best judge. It isn't teaching *me* anything. I think you'd be better served finding a community college class or a friend that knows his way around cars to help you out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:I wouldn't call this educational in any way. It might give you a better idea of where various bits are typically found on a car, but not much else. Of course I took small engines and auto shop in high school and have some practical experience doing minor repairs (replacements) on my own vehicles in college so I might not be the best judge. It isn't teaching *me* anything. I think you'd be better served finding a community college class or a friend that knows his way around cars to help you out.
Are there any jobs where you just have to replace the wiper fluid? I can handle that.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

jztemple2 wrote: or, heaven forbid, you forget to put back on all the parts you took off :roll:
Man, customers are such whiners.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oil and filter is the simplest job that has come up. Various brake parts are a close second. Oh there was a serpentine belt job, too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like the fake names of some of those cars more than the real names.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Playthrough stats:
Parts unbolted: 2901
Parts unmounted: 2013
Total Money Earned: 270,144
Jobs Completed: 62
Money Earned from Selling cars: 53920
Money Earned from Selling Parts: 22549
Parts Repaired: 189

Time Played: 12.4 hours

Verdict: Well I kept playing for 12 hours so it couldn't have been that bad. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone. it's nothing more than a time waster. It is incredibly repetitive and there is basically no payoff in the end. The end-game appears to be the auction where you buy busted guys to fix up and sell. It's just more of what you have been doing for the prior 10 hours. Alternatively right and left clicking until it's all fixed.

Meh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I stuck with it for 28 hours, but eventually I've burnt out on the gameplay. I just in fact deleted the local content. I'm figuring I'll be reading books for the next 3+ weeks till ATS and XCOM2 arrive.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, finally a new DLC that might add some life to the game... Performance DLC
New package with racing track, new cars, parts and possibilities for all car maniacs!
  • 1/4 mile track
  • 3 new cars
  • supercharged engines
  • new shop with performance parts
  • dyno with chip tuning
  • engine swaps
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

DLC is on sale for the first week at 20% off ($3.99 USD). The base game is on sale for 60% off and the other DLC have reduced prices too.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

By the way, weirdly the drag strip is already in the game, without the Performance DLC. And the drag strip actually goes to 1000 meters, with intermediate intervals for 1/8 mile and 1/4 miles, and time to 100 (mph? kph?).

Enlarge Image

UPDATE: Also (weirdly) I already have the Mercedes Benz cars, although I didn't buy the DLC. I think I got it as a bonus. Be sure to check your own copy of the game (you can load up the showroom to see the in-game cars) before buying that DLC.

I went ahead and bought the Performance DLC, since I now already have all the others.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, it's been a while :roll:. However, if you want to dip your toes into this game, then congratulate yourself for waiting :D. The game is on sale on Steam, 80% off or $3.99 USD. Plus there are discounts on the DLC. There is also a Gold Edition that contains the base game plus several of the DLC with an additional discount.

Additionally, today should see the release of the Total Modifications DLC which allows some wild and crazy mods to thirteen cars in the game. Also, today sees the release of a new update that enables a Sandbox mode which gives unlimited money and unlocks all upgrades to the garage and equipment. I haven't tried the latter yet, but it's nice to know that it's there if you want to play that way.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've found i enjoy the car-building part of My Summer Car - even highlighting the bolts with the mouse and spinning the scroll wheel to wrench them in. not having a manual at first was daunting, but figuring it out is fun (i did need some hints...)