Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7
Loading…

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Zenn7 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:40 am

NickAragua wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:02 pm
You will very occasionally find stores that sell spoilerguns and ammo (look for systems with "star league" keywords), and they sometimes come up as rewards for flashpoints.

I used my spoilermech non-stop, and the combination of it being super tough plus having slower, ground-bound mechs to attract fire meant that I was rarely at risk of losing it.

Then I just about rage-quit when I lost the spoilergun during a flashpoint. Thankfully, it came up as a flashpoint reward. In fact, a ++ version.
No flashpoints for me yet, don't own that DLC. From the description of the flashpoints you all have provided so far, doesn't sound that exciting. Not buying it today, but is there anything else about that DLC that makes it more worthwhile that I actually should buy it some day?

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am

Basically, the flashpoints are self-contained stories (although some flashpoints follow from others, depending on your decisions) involving the major inner sphere powers (or not, in some cases). They're basically multi-stage high-risk-high-reward contracts. The main thing about them is that your dialog choices actually make a difference, as opposed to what happens in the main campaign. You also see consecutive deployments (no time to repair between missions), and the flashpoint missions are hand-crafted. I think I saw about 20 total, but there are more - to access a few of them you need to be allied with a major inner sphere power, and it takes a while to "grind out the rep".

Flashpoint also adds three mechs: Hatchetman, Crab, Cyclops. The Hatchetman is... uh... slow. The Crab is a 50-tonner, and the Cyclops fills out the assault bracket a little.

The main reasons to get Flashpoint would be in anticipation of the next DLC, "Urban Combat" (which will probably have more flashpoints), and the possibility of user-made flashpoints (so far, only one has been made, but you never know...)

Honestly, I'd wait for a sale, though.

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am

NickAragua wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am

Honestly, I'd wait for a sale, though.
Agreed. What it adds is nice but it doesn't really add anything necessary.

UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Why are prices so bad to sell? It's only 10% of the buy cost. Does this change?
No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 am

I don't think I ever saw prices get better or worse. 10% is a horrible sell rate. I pretty much keep everything with periodic house cleanings - but those are never thought of as "For Profit" sales.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: Project Zomboid, BattleTech

Zenn7
Loading…

Post by Zenn7 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:00 pm

I was thinking of trying a mod and career mode now that I beat the campaign. Wanted to see what career mode does (assuming it's just the random missions from the campaign with no story, but hoping it would unlike the galaxy instead of restricting us to this little section of the periphery).

Didn't want to just carry the uber-lance from the campaign out. Wanted to build up again. This time with more mechs (hence mods).

JK_variants seems like a good starting point, but saw XLRP - Extended Lore Rebalancing Project.

Wondered if anyone tried that and why they like or didn't like it compared to the other mods you all have been listing here?

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:26 pm

Last time I played through, I assembled a hodge podge collection of mods myself. Since then, somebody undertook the same task I did, which is to gather up all the "more era-appropriate mechs and vehicles" mods in one place:

Battletech Extended 3025

That'll get you a very substantial chunk of all the mechs and tanks that are available in 3025. There's a particular sub-mod that you'll have to enable to get all the vehicles. Some of the vehicles and mechs re-use existing models, but I found it didn't matter too much. The good part is that the author felt the same way that I did, which is that the mechanics don't really need to be messed with, we just need more mechs.

Apparently it also bundles the "better AI" mod, so expect the AI to clean your clock a little bit more. But you can enable or disable individual sub-components of the mod to your taste.

Finally, a reminder that, if you install "content" mods (ones that add mechs, flashpoints, equipment) then remove them later, you won't be able to load save games made with those mods.

Zenn7
Loading…

Post by Zenn7 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:56 pm

Cool, thanks Nick. I saw that one too, will try it.

Zenn7
Loading…

Post by Zenn7 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:33 am

Wowsers does your starting force suck!

Jenner, Urbanmech, Spider and 2 locusts (a standard w/ MG's and a 2 ML/2SL variant) and all the pilots are 3 and 3 2's except 1 gets 2 3's and your start (like 4/2/3/2 I think).

Even against the crappy 1/2 skull missions I'm taking lotta damage, having to wait a bit for repairs (and now for a pilot so I can have 4 peeps in the field).

Probably should not have spent 500k on the black market entry, but I never got into black market in the campaign (by the time the offer came along, the pirates hated me, no option it would let me take).

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 am

I tried to get back into this over the weekend. Updated it and was having fun with it - then realized than none of my mods seemed to be showing up (no painful tanks or various Mechs).

I went digging and found that I needed to get a new version of the Modtek tool installed, so I did ... and made sure my other mods were as current as they could be...

... and can't get the game running with JK_Variants. The game and Argo load fine, but loading into combat just loads forever... and ever... and ever. 20 minutes later, still loading. Pull JK_Variants out, and I can enter a combat scenario. I'm struggling to find a fix. I know this is completely optional and only adds flavor, but it's a flavor I like.

So I need to roll back to an older version of Battletech or wait a while for a modder somewhere to catch up?
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights

Zenn7
Loading…

Post by Zenn7 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 am

Paingod wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 am
I tried to get back into this over the weekend. Updated it and was having fun with it - then realized than none of my mods seemed to be showing up (no painful tanks or various Mechs).

I went digging and found that I needed to get a new version of the Modtek tool installed, so I did ... and made sure my other mods were as current as they could be...

... and can't get the game running with JK_Variants. The game and Argo load fine, but loading into combat just loads forever... and ever... and ever. 20 minutes later, still loading. Pull JK_Variants out, and I can enter a combat scenario. I'm struggling to find a fix. I know this is completely optional and only adds flavor, but it's a flavor I like.

So I need to roll back to an older version of Battletech or wait a while for a modder somewhere to catch up?
Does JK_Variants add anything that Battletech Extended 3025 doesn't cover? I have had issues a couple times in career mode where the combat didn't load, but that's rare (2-4 times total, been playing 1-3 battles per day since I posted I'd started career mode with this mod).

Speaking of career mode, it was so awesome when I finally got my first medium! A Hunchback (5 ML, 2 LRM10 and 1 SL variant, dumped the SL for armor).

Then a Phoenix Hawk and Shadow Hawk.

Last night, had a mission where I could max get 2 salvage picks. It was to finish off a damaged lance - 2.5 skulls. 2 grasshoppers! I was very bummed I could only get 2 picks. This was my first heavy mech encounter. There were 4 grasshopper parts when it was over.

But... they gave me a third one in the loot distribution!!! Yay! First heavy mech!

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am

Honestly, I'm out of touch with the mods in the game. If JK_Variants is out of date and/or unsupported, I'll switch to something else. I do like having other chassis options but am not married to JK_Variants as the only choice for it.

*Edit: Looking at Battletech Extended 3025, it seems like a complete package for what I would want - lore-friendly vehicles, variants, and items ... but will need the 2.6GB Community Asset Bundle - which Nexus told me last night would take 10 hours to download. I'm guessing they throttle huge files a bit.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah, you want Battletech Extended 3025 - I don't think JK_Variants is getting updated any more.

I wish they'd slim that Community Asset Bundle down a bit - it contains a lot of clan mechs and other stuff that I don't really care about.

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am

Any other "darn good" lore-friendly mods I should consider? I'm doing an Ironman Career run here, not a Campaign - and am only 3 weeks in, so there's no big loss of time if I restart for a good mod. I skipped the 5 salvage parts for a Mech though. That's too many when you're dealing with 75+ added Mech variants. :shock:

Doing pretty good, though. No losses, and keeping my repair times nicely stuck between planets. This means I often field a Mech with a little internal damage, which hasn't caused any issues. I may be playing it too safe and avoiding heavier contracts. I don't want to get into too many "1 skull" missions until I've got a couple Mediums to back my Lights. I saved the last one for just before jumping to a new area, and was glad I did. It took 14 of the 15 travel days to put my Mechs back together. :hawk:

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:42 am

NickAragua wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:38 am
Yeah, you want Battletech Extended 3025 - I don't think JK_Variants is getting updated any more.

I wish they'd slim that Community Asset Bundle down a bit - it contains a lot of clan mechs and other stuff that I don't really care about.
I got these two installed last night and had a couple battles afterwards. Everything seems perfect.

I'm pretty sure JK_Variants ended up baked into BattleTech Extended 3025. When I opened up the ZIP file, 80% of the folders were JK_* ... the author really should pull down the old mod and redirect traffic to the new one.

Paingod

Post by Paingod » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:15 am

BattleTech Extended does something to AI, doesn't it?

Enemies seem to be fighting me more intelligently. Tanks aren't just rushing headlong at me constantly, and Firestarters are genuine threats to my health and well-being. I'm going to be treating them with more caution.

My little lance ran into a "1 Skull" mission that had a pair of Firestarters working together, superheating my Mechs and ensuring that I had a healthy 23 day repair time - a brutal loss so early in the game. They effectively locked down my mechs as I had to keep sprinting them away to cool off - suffering a lot of internal damage on my already-hot Jenner, and a fair amount on my Panther and Vindicator. It really didn't help that it was a Moon map (65% heat efficiency).

I also forgot what an SRM6 carrier can do - I'm just glad that the Mech in range had high evasion and full armor.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 am

Yeah, I think it includes the "Better AI" mod, which modifies various AI settings that are tweakable via making changes to the game's json files. Big time props to that mod's author, I think he had to do all that stuff via trial and error.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:58 pm

BATTLETECH Urban Warfare announcement

UPDATE
From Gaming Nexus:
BATTLETECH: Urban Warfare is the expansion I've been waiting for. It takes the turn-based strategy mech combat out of the countryside and drops it into the city. Urban Warfare introduces the most changing and fluid state the battlefield has seen. Buildings are blowing up. Mechs are falling off of them. Piles of rubble provide cover. Line-of-sight rules are updated. Electronic countermeasures will throw off your indirect-fire missile salvos. The ECM-centric Raven will say hello in Urban Warfare, and the Javelin will bring close-range knockout power.

"The truth is, we've wanted to build city combat environments and gameplay for years," said Mitch Gitelman, Co-Founder of Harebrained Schemes and Game Director for BATTLETECH.

Two new Flashpoints—consecutive, high-intensity short-story missions—make their way into Urban Warfare. And three new enemy vehicles (thanks, I hate it) will further complicate the ECM playing field.

And a new encounter, Attack and Defend, has a steady stream of enemy forces trying to overwhelm the base you're defending, even as you're trying to knockout the enemy base the bad guys are pouring out of. Defending stationary structures can go wildly in either direction, I've found. Sometimes the enemy is hapless in their attacks. Other times, they drop in hot and end your mission in 1.5 rounds. Attack and Defend sounds like a small nightmare.

Vanilla BATTLETECH launched with notable problems, but developer Harebrained Schemes got down to the nitty gritty during the post-launch period and sanded down the rough edges. Through it all, BATTLETECH became my favorite strategy game of 2018. I can say that with very little reservation. The Flashpoint DLC freshened up the battlefield with tropical environments, and heated up the galaxy map with the titular Flashpoint scenarios.

BATTLETECH: Urban Warfare launches June 4 on PC. It'll be $20 sold separately, but is otherwise included in the $50 season pass.

BATTLETECH: Urban Warfare Brings Tactical 'Mech Combat to Massive Cityscapes

New destructible city environments, electric warfare, BattleMechs, Flashpoints, and more coming June 4th, 2019

STOCKHOLM - April 23, 2019 - Paradox Interactive and Harebrained Schemes today unveiled details for the next big thing to hit BATTLETECH this summer. Urban Warfare will bring 'Mech combat to the vast cityscapes of 3025. With electronic warfare, large-scale building destruction, environmental mechanics, new enemy units and more, the urban sprawl will be a whole new battlefield on June 4th, BATTLETECH: Urban Warfare is available for preorder now at the SRP of $19.99 and is also available in the BATTLETECH Season pass.

City combat is center stage in this expansion, introducing new street features including blocked lines of sight, collateral damage rules, and all sorts of new destruction. Weigh the hazards and benefits before going into urban battle, though—explosions, floods and more await. With new urban challenges, the return of lost technologies, new ‘Mechs, vehicles, encounters and flashpoints, Urban Warfare takes the BATTLETECH experience to new, gritty heights.

“Urban Warfare delivers one of the biggest 'Mech combat player fantasies there is: Fighting it out on the streets and rooftops of epic sci-fi cityscapes,” said Mitch Gitelman, Co-founder of Harebrained Schemes and Game Director of BATTLETECH. “The truth is, we've wanted to build city combat environments and gameplay for years, so we're thrilled to be finally bringing this experience to BATTLETECH.”

Key features:

Urban Warfare – Street brawls introduce new tactical gameplay challenges as ‘Mech combat moves from wide-open natural landscapes to vast urban sprawls. Every building in the new urban biome is fully destructible, so you’re never more than a few salvos away from a new line of sight, or the defensive cover of high-rise rubble. Abandoned explosive fuel trucks, destroyed coolant exchanger buildings, and broken electrical transformers that disrupt targeting will drastically change the battle as you go.

Electronic Warfare – The return of these lost technologies will forever change the 31st century battlefield. ‘Mechs equipped with Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) and nearby friendly units are obscured from enemy targeting systems, and immune to indirect fire. Meanwhile, ‘Mechs equipped with Active Probe can reveal, locate, and target enemy units that would otherwise be hidden.

Two New BattleMechs – The experimental Raven 1X sports an advanced electronic warfare package combining ECM and Active Probe systems into a lightweight component. The Javelin is a compromise between speed and firepower, with close-range knockout power.

New Flashpoints – A wide variety of new branching short stories that link together mercenary missions, crew conversations, special events, critical choices, and rare bonus rewards.

Three New Enemy Vehicles – The Tank sports a variety of weapons to fight at all ranges with speed and agility, the Packrat is a battlefield support vehicle equipped with a prototype version of ECM, and the Rotunda is a reconnaissance vehicle equipped with a prototype version of Active Probe.

New Encounter – Attack and Defend is a challenging new mission type where your mercenaries must destroy an enemy’s base to stop a steady stream of attackers before they can overcome your forces and knock out your employer’s base.
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Well, I'm already in since I bought the season pass some time ago. Looking forward to seeing the ECM mechanics.

Probably will do a career run when this comes out. Still going to be using the BT Extended 3025 mod, though, I can't go back to the stock list of mechs any more.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Mon May 20, 2019 2:09 am

I've been asked to move my AAR here.

Any way, restoration war continues. Just did the Smithson Evacuation mission. I was supposed to defend a space port from attack at THREE sides... 8 mechs, with only 4 mechs (and a couple vehicles, and turrets). And two out of three dropships must survive. Surprising even myself, all three did. Enemy mechs were sufficiently distracted by my attacks or by turrets. In fact, NONE of my mechs even lost a limb. Composition was a Griffin, a Highlander, a Shadowhawk, and a Hunchback.

Enemy lance walked straight up the middle. I send in my mediums to engage their lights. One of their Jenners basically kamikaze-charged and the mediums surrounded it and melee'ed it to death. Then we saw what's behind it... Griffin, Centurion, and a Battlemaster. Hmmm! Suddnely, we get announcement that enemy is dropping flankers... 2 Commandoes and they're going after the fuel tanks. I sent my Griffin after it, and it jumped away to chase after the Commandoes, while the Highlander divided its fire among the Battlemaster and Griffin. I sent another to chase after the 2 light flankers, hoping to finish them quickly. The remaining medium went after the enemy Griffin.

Then I got ANOTHER warning... ANOTHER two flankers have been dropped on the OPPOSITE side of the spaceport. WTF!? As I only needed to protect TWO dropships, I decided to ignore that as the third dropship hadn't landed yet. The Griffin managed to chase down ONE Commando, shreding its arms and then melee'ed to death. The other is plinking away at the Griffin, and not shooting at the fuel tank, good. I called back the other medium to concentrate on the Centurion. A full alpha strike barrage stripped away most of the front armor. And then my Shadowhawk landed a one-in-a-million called headshot. Centurion went down. The Battlemaster suddenly decided it wanted to plink turrets and turned 180 and went after a couple turrets it passed by (it was shot in the back a couple times) I used the chance to have Highlander unload alpha strike at a Jenner coming from the OPPOSITE flank. Took off one of its legs, but not before it got a shot off at the fuel tank. The remaining medium took a called shot and destroyed it.

Situation: my Griffin is chasing the remaining Commando. My Shadowhawk is jumping and engaging the enemy Griffin. My Hunckback is rushing left to engage the remaining Panther on the far side (that came with the Jenner) and my Highlander is engaging the Battlemaster. All four enemy mechs are too busy dodging my mechs and the remaining turrets. Two dropships have already been saved, and third just landed. The enemy Griffin and the Panther tried to take long range shots, but fortunately didn't do enough damage. My medium jumped behind the Panther and unloaded a full barrage. Didn't kill it, but took off one if its arms and had it retreating and out of firing arc. My Griffin chased down the Commando, which by this time is armless. I decided to temporarily ignore the Battlemaster and concentrate on the remaining enemy medium in melee combat (Highlander melee damage is 140) with my remaining medium. Griffin finally took out the Commando with a melee kick, while the Panther was dealt with by another alpha strike. The remaining battle was somewhat anti-climactic, as Highlander basically sat there and tanked while the other mediums jumped behind the battlemaster and punched through its rear armor with multiple alpha strikes.

Managed to salvage the Battlemaster, and now I finally get my second assault mech. I have pieces of other heavy mechs, but not enough to assemble one. For the longest time, my heavies are the lousy Dragon and Quickdraw, neither of which are any better than the 55 tons mechs (often worse) and due to loss of initiative (2 rather than 3 for mediums) make them hard to recommend.

So far I've yet to lose a limb on the Highlander, not that I have any replacements for the SLDF Lostech stuff on it. And it has EVERYTHING, ++ weapons, Double heatsinks... Pulse lasers... There are no replacements.
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua » Mon May 20, 2019 10:50 am

If you have the Flashpoint expansion, some of the flashpoints provide lostech rewards, e.g. gauss rifles and ammo and double heat sinks. If you troll around in systems with "former star league presence" or "old battlefield" tags, you might find lostech in stores. It's also possible to find lostech on the black market, assuming you've got access.

Also, pulse lasers kind of suck, in my opinion. Too much heat, not enough damage, and by the time you get them, the accuracy bonus is pointless.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 am

Not sure I want to buy Flashpoint yet, I'll want to finish the campaign without it first.

Just finished the "Capture Mech Factory" mission. Killed EVERYTHING without losing any limbs. Though came kinda close. I sent in my Battlemaster AND Highlander, plus two of the heavier mediums.

I was about to pick up the Cataphract as salvage when the game crashed. Now I have to redo the whole mission! :-P
My game FAQs | Join Massdrop and see what sort of deals they have! | Playing: ADR1FT, Frontier Pilot Simulator

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang » Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 am

Just redid the whole mission. Cataphract did not appear. Instead, I got two different models of Thunderbolt plus other mechs. So ended up with 1 piece each of 3 different models of Thunderbolt, a 3S, a 3SS, and a 3SE. ARGH!!!!!

Actually lost one of the double-heatsinks on the Highlander, but I actually already have 2 of those in one of those random "choose your own adventure" choices. So the power was NOT diminished.

On the other hand, I STILL have no heavies other than the mediocre Quickdraw and Dragon, and only two assaults (Battlemaster and Highlander)

Reconfigured Battlemaster to rely less on the MLAS. Now it can fire practically every turn, and even added jumpjets.

Freyland

Post by Freyland » Tue May 21, 2019 8:03 am

Try configuring the dragon as a melee unit. It's a beast!
I don't remember where I read this, Cort, maybe it was in the last patch notes, but they said the UAZ really handles the best when... the wheels are actually touching the ground.
--RedF1ve