Jaddison

BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Jaddison »

http://battletechgame.com/

They will get my money.
Arkon

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Arkon »

Day 1 backing for me, HBS has earned a lot of goodwill in my eyes for how well they have handled Shadowrun.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
RMC

Post by RMC »

Oh HBS is doing this? There ShadowRun Hong Kong is coming out in Aug, so this would be a perfect time to announce a new game for them..

I might actually back it then. I am at work so can't follow the link, can anyone doa cut and paste for me so I can see what is being suggested for the game?

Any RPG elements or just a fancy FPS with robots instead of people?

One of the best games I played as a kid was a Battletech game where you were the pilot and could get different mechs to pilot. Maybe Crescent Hawk Inception, or something like that. So is it going to be like that type of game, or more like MechWarrior?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

RMC wrote:Oh HBS is doing this? There ShadowRun Hong Kong is coming out in Aug, so this would be a perfect time to announce a new game for them..

I might actually back it then. I am at work so can't follow the link, can anyone doa cut and paste for me so I can see what is being suggested for the game?

One of the best games I played as a kid was a Battletech game where you were the pilot and could get different mechs to pilot. Maybe Crescent Hawk Inception, or something like that. So is it going to be like that type of game, or more like MechWarrior?
The website says:
TACTICAL ‘MECH
COMBAT RETURNS TO THE PC.

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.
Which is an instant buy-in from me, especially with how well Shadowrun turned out.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zurai wrote:
RMC wrote:Oh HBS is doing this? There ShadowRun Hong Kong is coming out in Aug, so this would be a perfect time to announce a new game for them..

The website says:
TACTICAL ‘MECH
COMBAT RETURNS TO THE PC.

Harebrained Schemes is pleased to announce their return to Kickstarter this Fall to partner with Backers in co-funding the creation of BATTLETECH. Jordan Weisman, the creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, is back with the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over two decades. Steeped in the feudal political intrigue of the BattleTech universe, the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.
Which is an instant buy-in from me, especially with how well Shadowrun turned out.
Ohh... Nice... Yup, I think that is what that game I remember from the 80's was. Anyone know the name of it? Crescent Hawk's Inception is what I remember it called, but work and blockers do not work when looking for game data. I think you were basically a Merc unit in the inner sphere and had been betrayed or something and had to build your 'squad' back up and take out the big baddie. All turn based, and very much like the gold box games from SSI from that time period.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

This line is key:
the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.
I am so in on this one!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, if I can't get a Mechwarrior game, this is pretty much the next best thing.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, the first game was Crescent Hawk's Inception.

IIRC you play the son of the leader of the Crescent Hawk's who worked for House Steiner. The game starts with you in a training academy to learn mech piloting until your instruction is cut short by an invasion of the planet by House Kurita. Then it opens up to you growing and managing your company while waging a guerilla war against the invaders.

Great game and way ahead of it's time in a lot of ways.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki on The Crescent Hawk's Inception.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I guess I'll need to do my own Kickstarter to get the MechWarrior game where you play as the Clans and wipe out all the insufferable inner sphere douchebags in conquest.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wiki on The Crescent Hawk's Inception.
The player takes the role of Jason Youngblood,
Ugh.
a young cadet MechWarrior stationed on Pacifica
Ugh.

I guess it's nice that George Lucas did some naming consulting work outside of Star Wars, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

baelthazar wrote:This line is key:
the game will feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG ‘Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics.
I am so in on this one!
Yep that's the line which sold me as well. Actually I probably still would have done a wait-and-see if it wasn't HBS, but after Shadowrun I trust 'em enough to throw in an entry-level Kickstarter pledge.
RMC

Post by RMC »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Wiki on The Crescent Hawk's Inception.
The player takes the role of Jason Youngblood,
Ugh.
a young cadet MechWarrior stationed on Pacifica
Ugh.

I guess it's nice that George Lucas did some naming consulting work outside of Star Wars, though.
Dude... I was like 14... This was awesome at the time... Don't be too harsh with my memories... :)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

El Guapo wrote:I guess I'll need to do my own Kickstarter to get the MechWarrior game where you play as the Clans and wipe out all the insufferable inner sphere douchebags in conquest.
Wait? The Inner Sphere were douchebags compared to the Clans? Never mind that the introduction of the Clans killed Battletech for many people
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Philosophically opposed factions view each other as douchebags. Yep.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
RMC

Post by RMC »

IceBear wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I guess I'll need to do my own Kickstarter to get the MechWarrior game where you play as the Clans and wipe out all the insufferable inner sphere douchebags in conquest.
Wait? The Inner Sphere were douchebags compared to the Clans? Never mind that the introduction of the Clans killed Battletech for many people
hehehe... Yeah I remember when they add the 'Elementals' which were powered armored guys that could rip apart the inner sphere mechs. :)

I was like, why have huge battlemechs when the elemental guys can do more.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Wasn't it a squad of 5 elementals? Still I know what you mean. Whenever I run a Battletech / Mechwarrior campaign I still gravitate to 3025 era. I can add some advanced weapons from Star League caches as rewards without things getting overpowered (plus it adds a level of concern for players trying to protect their rare equipment )
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I'm in as long as it doesn't include the Clans or the current Dark Age stuff. Give me a game where being Dispossessed meant something
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

IceBear wrote:
For some reason I've always favored the Clans over the Inner Sphere, I think because it's the Inner Sphere factions that caused everything to go to pot by starting a Civil War, whereas the Clans are the descendants of Kerensky's forces, who refused to acquiesce in the destruction of the Star League, and who, once the break-up of the Star League became inevitable, went into exile rather than sign up with any of the warring breakaway states. By contrast the Inner Sphere houses all consigned people to generations of civil war and degenerating technology and standards of living.

It's also because my formative battletech memories were primarily of playing MechWarrior 2, and that Jade Falcon intro is insanely cool (and still holds up, incidentally).

The clans may well have broken the pen n' paper MechWarrior universe, but I wouldn't know since I didn't play a ton of that.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:It's also because my formative battletech memories were primarily of playing MechWarrior 2, and that Jade Falcon intro is insanely cool (and still holds up, incidentally).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It's also because my formative battletech memories were primarily of playing MechWarrior 2, and that Jade Falcon intro is insanely cool (and still holds up, incidentally).
:wub:
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

My formative time with Battletech were with the Michael Stackpole novels and the Clans were the douchebags...especially Jade Falcon :p

Guess it depends on what side you were most used to
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Campaign. Campaign? Campaign!

How long has it been since we've had a Battletech game that didn't rely on random people on the internet in order to be fun?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Hoping for something more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeyCau4MI4
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm pretty sure my first substantive exposure to Battletech was the Saturday morning cartoon. I thought it was so cool that I woke myself up at seven in the morning just so I could watch it. Until I figured out that I could program the VCR to tape it.

Never got into the tabletop game, but did play a lot of Mechwarrior and Mech Commander (and, uh, Mech Assault) afterwards, which cemented my dislike for both clans and inner sphere. Mercenaries are cool, though, and I do love me some clan mech parts. I never really understood that thing with lumberjack mechs though.
Black Lives Matter
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Rip wrote:Hoping for something more like this...

I loved MechCommander.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Pretty sure that's what they're going for, but turned based
Rip

Post by Rip »

IceBear wrote:

Pretty sure that's what they're going for, but turned based
Which would make it even more awesome. Although pausable real-time is pretty much the same thing. Hopefully "turns" play out nice graphically. Turn-based should at least make it more multiuser friendly. Although I am much more interested in a SP campaign.
RMC

Post by RMC »

IceBear wrote:My formative time with Battletech were with the Michael Stackpole novels and the Clans were the douchebags...especially Jade Falcon :p

Guess it depends on what side you were most used to
Yup, this is my time as well. And I think your right the Elementals were teams of 5, and I think they were all 'modified' or just genetically larger than the other normal people.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My brother and I started playing Battletech soon after 2nd Edition came out. Back then there was no such thing as a Battletech computer game, House Liao was more than just a tiny strip of territory in the Inner Sphere, and the most dangerous state in the periphery was the Rim Worlds Republic. :P
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote:My brother and I started playing Battletech soon after 2nd Edition came out. Back then there was no such thing as a Battletech computer game, House Liao was more than just a tiny strip of territory in the Inner Sphere, and the most dangerous state in the periphery was the Rim Worlds Republic. :P
And kids respected their elders!
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Guapo is dead to me.
IceBear wrote:Never mind that the introduction of the Clans killed Battletech for many people
So much this... Well so much this, except the BattleTech Center in Chicago used clan mechs and we made several pilgrimages to the FASA store front just to play at the BattleTech Center.

I'd love to see a larger Mechwarrior Campaign, either with dumbed down Mechwarrior video gaming or with TBS Battletech. I don't know that I'd kickstart one though.

I'd also love to see a larger Warhammer campain.

I love the idea of a huge strategic universe that still not only has individual geo politics on different worlds but also has tactical skirmishes.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

They can have my money. All of it.

They can put the Clan invasion stuff in the first expansion/DLC. So that I can ignore that pointless bullshit.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

There's a whole pile of stuff in the BT universe that happened after the clans were defeated, although if you jumped ship after the clans showed up you wouldn't know about it. I mostly didn't either until Catalyst started their redoing of the rules a few years ago.

Word of Blake!

BT is definitely a candidate for the engine they used for Shadowrun. Two phased movement/fire, all sorts of effects and whatnot.
There is no hug button. Sad!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah I just got the 3150 technical readout. I picked up one of the free Mechwarrior adventures that had a misjump cause the players to jump to a parallel universe in which Kerensky never left. That might be an interesting setting to play in.

Here's a whole bunch of free Battletech stuff
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?&key ... =0&pfrom=0
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

IceBear wrote:
The Clans are what you get if you let a 10 year old design a game. If they could have added cheat codes that literally turned off the Inner Sphere mechs during a fight it would have been only slightly less fair.

I like the idea of the Clans, and their mechs, but as far as game balance goes, the Clans destroyed it. If there were only a few Clan mechs you could balance around it, but eventually they just took over the board.

Inner Sphere mechs had a lot of give and take. If you want x, you need to give up y or z. Clan mechs were like "you want x? How many? Ok, but that means you only get 10 y's and z's, are you sure?".

In any case, here's hoping the new game is good to great.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Zurai wrote:
baelthazar wrote:This line is key:
I am so in on this one!
Yep that's the line which sold me as well. Actually I probably still would have done a wait-and-see if it wasn't HBS, but after Shadowrun I trust 'em enough to throw in an entry-level Kickstarter pledge.
I keep throwing money at my computer and it keeps bouncing off. :(

Definitely in on this kickstarter once they'll take my money.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

SO in on this. 8-)
-mf
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

A tactical turn based RPG with mechs made by HBS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgFNnpB7sN0
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
DD*

Post by DD* »

Never backed a KS before, but I'm in on this one!
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg