BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Paingod »

I was a little bummed out when I got a good sensor read on something over a hill but couldn't fire on it with my LRM's. I saw a 55% chance and was more than willing to waste ammo, but got no option to actually fire. It appears that I can only indirectly shoot at something that someone else can directly spot.

Tactically, I was rocking that second round until I simply failed to keep my Lights away from that Hunchback. The bastard basically charged at me, mostly ignoring his lasers, and ran straight for my weakest Mechs. I had them stand their ground and fire as he came on - but should have been falling back. Learning lessons.

I'll try and use heat as more of a resource than I'm used to. :think:
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:I was a little bummed out when I got a good sensor read on something over a hill but couldn't fire on it with my LRM's. I saw a 55% chance and was more than willing to waste ammo, but got no option to actually fire. It appears that I can only indirectly shoot at something that someone else can directly spot.

Tactically, I was rocking that second round until I simply failed to keep my Lights away from that Hunchback. The bastard basically charged at me, mostly ignoring his lasers, and ran straight for my weakest Mechs. I had them stand their ground and fire as he came on - but should have been falling back. Learning lessons.

I'll try and use heat as more of a resource than I'm used to. :think:
The best use of lights is often to sprint around (sprinting makes you very hard to hit) and spotting for those guy with indirect weapons. Then after you soften them up, start running out of LRM ammo, or your lights start taking a beating you bring the big boys in for a direct fire finale. I like to use mediums to play hide and seek pot shotting the opponent as they take crappy shots at the lights.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Gotta shift gears, then. I'm working with an "Action Game" mentality that I need to abandon.

For example, in MWO - a Light is a good scout - but can also be a valued hit & run stalker if done right, striking at soft targets while they're distracted with other (bigger) threats. I wouldn't ever want to run out and be a target just to light up a field of enemies. When I see someone do that, it just seems to be a death sentence and only the best/fastest Lights escape before being legged.

Mediums actually seem to occupy the same area, though - fire support. Don't get caught in the open and/or without a bigger friend next to you. I've never been very good with them since they seem to be too much "in between" Heavies and Lights - where Lights move better and Heavies hit harder.
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

From what I've read there's a "sensor lock" skill that lets you get a fix on a target that you don't directly see.

But yeah, heat management is a thing you do in Tabletop (but also, frankly, in the Mechwarrior series). They've actually dialed it way the hell up in this incarnation from what I've read. In tabletop, you could safely fire off the 2x LRMs or the 4x lasers but not both without taking any heat related penalties.

The main complaints on the HBS boards seem to be that sight range is way too short (the argument being you should be able to engage with direct fire weapons at max range) and that they screwed around with weapons balance too much (in particular, the AC-10 wasn't able to headshot a mech in one hit in tabletop). Nobody seems to be complaining about the initiative system (which is drastically different from the tabletop system, but I kind of like it better myself).

On the plus side, the various stats seem pretty easy to mod, so if I find myself too pissed off, there'll probably be a "classic tabletop rules" mod out.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...I always make sure one of my light mech pilots has the sensor lock skill. I move him up and then use that on the target and then try to drown it in LRMs.

Depending on the mech you could one shot with an AC10. AC10 does 10 points of damage and the maximum armor on a head is 9. I took out an Atlas with a medium laser and SRM-2 in one round because I got lucky with the crit table and killed the pilot
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

IceBear wrote: Depending on the mech you could one shot with an AC10. AC10 does 10 points of damage and the maximum armor on a head is 9.
My Battletech knowledge is decades old at this point, but the head has a max armor of 9 + 3 points of internal structure for 12 points in total IIRC.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

That's correct but as soon as you did internal damage you rolled on the table to see if you got a crit. If you did you rolled where the crit was. One of the options was cockpit. If you rolled that you killed the pilot. I didn't say an AC10 could destroy the head with one shot...just that it could take out the mech with one shot. That 10 points of damage would have 1 go internal and if you were lucky do a crit and if you were especially lucky, kill the Mechwarrior

Actually, looking at the Crit Table online, you rolled 2d6. 2-7, no crit, 8-9 roll 1 crit location, 10-11 roll 2 crit locations, and on a 12 you blew the head or limb off. So looks like you could actually take the head off with an AC10 if you were really lucky (That would require you to roll double 6s twice in a roll...once to hit the head and then once on the crit table to blow it off)
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:coffee: ... Jordan Weisman revisits the BattleTech franchise he co-created @ Gamasutra

:coffee: ... GOG: .. Interview with Jordan Weisman .. might be Shadowrun-centric (I only skimmed it since I have to walk my dog (yes)
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Getting sued by owner of Robotech IP:

https://www.rpgwatch.com/#38172
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate companies that sit on a copyright and never use it for anything but sue anyone who does try to.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I thought all that was sorted decades ago when Battletech removed the mechs that were the problem?
As for sitting on the license, I think they still have comics coming out and there is a live action movie in the works, so I wouldn't say they are sitting on the license or are ruining it ala the Fantastic Four movie license.. (Which I hope gets sorted out and they cave and team up with Marvel ala Sony and Spider-Man..)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Punisher wrote:I thought all that was sorted decades ago when Battletech removed the mechs that were the problem?

Ditto. I thought this problem went back and was resolved in the 80s. Shows what I know.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This better not delay my game. If necessary, change the name and shape of the mechs and call the game "Super metal armor battle suits"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote:
Punisher wrote:I thought all that was sorted decades ago when Battletech removed the mechs that were the problem?
Ditto. I thought this problem went back and was resolved in the 80s. Shows what I know.
I thought the last time this came back was when PGI was working on MechWarrior Online - or a lot of people were worried about it. IIRC, they ended up spending for licensing instead of yanking Mechs. For some reason I assumed Harebrained had actually piggy-backed on PGI's licenses - the designs are identical. Whatever PGI pulled off should work for HG; maybe they can copy/paste the solution.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If I had to guess, it may connected to how the licensing was worked out by one of the other IP holders. If I recall correctly, BattleTech pulled their designs from multiple sources, and ended up having to abandon some of them as a result. When things were finally worked out for licensing designs, the solution only applied to those pulled from specific sources, not all.

The whole thing is just a convoluted mess.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

:sci-fi-robot: ... Paradox: BATTLETECH Will Release In 2018 ... blames the backers for their insistence the game git gud
Paradox Interactive and Harebrained Schemes today announced that the release of BATTLETECH has been moved to early 2018. Initially planned for release later this year, the move will give the Harebrained Schemes team the time they need to deliver the type of quality experience the company is known for.

“Throughout development our Backers have been clear: ‘Don’t rush it, just make it great.’ and we have taken that advice to heart,” said Jordan Weisman, CEO of Harebrained Schemes and creator of the original board game and BattleTech universe. “HBS, Paradox, and our Backers all share a deeply personal attachment to this project and we are committed to delivering a game that not only meets the high expectations of our Backers and fans but introduces BattleTech to a new generation of players.”

“The feedback and enthusiasm from Beta participants has shown us just how great BATTLETECH can be, and rushing development to fit a timeline would be a disservice,” said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “We believe in the Harebrained Schemes team, and want them to give the game the time and attention they need to create a turn-based game worthy of the name."

To help eager MechCommanders pass the time, Harebrained Schemes is again updating their Backer Beta this week to include a large number of improvements including gameplay changes, AI upgrades, balance changes, and interface enhancements based upon the reams of useful feedback they’ve received from their community. A subsequent update coming soon will also allow Backers to go head-to-head in PvP multiplayer allowing them to test their skills against human opponents. The Beta will last at least another month, so players interested in becoming Late Backers to gain access to the Beta should go to battletechgame.com to get in on the action.
Ain't nobody got time for that
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Updated skirmish and multiplayer is now live
Rip

Post by Rip »

“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Campaign mission gameplay!

Hell yeah. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on this.
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Watching the pc gamer guy play was painful. He was overheating all his mechs with completely unnecessary jumps followed by opening up with the works. Game looks amazing though.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm Watching the pc gamer guy play was painful. He was overheating all his mechs with completely unnecessary jumps followed by opening up with the works. Game looks amazing though.
Yea, drives me nuts as well. I've watched a handful of people play on twitch and it seems that few have any idea how to play effectively. Can't wait to play it and see how well using spotters and indirect fire properly will work.

The mechanics of it all seem to be in place and working fairly well.
— Benjamin Rush
--
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I loved watching that Blackjack run over and stomp the tank. I'm so looking forward to this game!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Why do people keep referring to it as like XCOM? The only thing they have in common is being turn based.

There are no Mechs in XCOM, and there are no aliens with mind-control in BT. The games are nothing alike.
— Benjamin Rush
--
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He knows too much...get the net!!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Rip wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm There are no Mechs in XCOM...
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Rip

Post by Rip »

Those aren't mechs they are power armor at best. If I can't destroy a tank by stomping on it, it isn't a mech.
— Benjamin Rush
--
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I mean, the one piloted by the guy is called a "mec..." :horse:

Also, you try telling Johnny Five he isn't a mech!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Those are obviously E-Frames.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Looks like the Harmony Gold lawsuit might be thrown out

http://www.sarna.net/news/update-on-the ... wsuit/amp/
Rip

Post by Rip »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea, just got an email saying April 2018 will be the launch window. I don't know how many features will make it in the release but I'm excited for what's coming.

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Kickstarter email I received today:
Listen up, MechWarriors!

Over two years ago, our forces launched Operation Alpha Strike, a coordinated effort to bring turn-based tactical ‘Mech combat back to PC gaming and to return BattleTech to its rightful place of honor.

Today, High Command reports that our launch window is confirmed for April, 2018.

Repeat, we are a GO for April and Steam pre-orders have officially opened.
Preordering gets you a Shadowhawk pack

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637090/BATTLETECH/
Rip

Post by Rip »

I just got a hiver.

My fingers are crossed for the campaign to be up to my wetdream fantasies.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Note that all backers at "recruit" level or higher (basically, if you chipped in enough to get a copy of the game) get the Shadow Hawk pack.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 pm
+1000000
Rip

Post by Rip »

It has been a while since I spent an hour pausing a video and examining the UI and trying to figure out game features and stuff from it.

Not sure how much the settings will affect prices but from what I saw it looks like it will be challenging.

I expect to like the combat but it appears I may love the company management side of the game. I'm already thinking about decisions of where to focus resources and priorities. I think I will focus on trying to outfit 4 fully operational/repaired/supplied mechs even if 3 of them have to be lights. From there I intend to focus on pilot training and being able to man those 4 with the best pilots I can.

After that I will save my money to build an emergency reserve and only start upgrading to more or larger mechs when I have the cash to do so properly.

I hope there will be some gameplay videos before release.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isn't Fanantical giving 20% discount on preorders?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds