BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: BattleTech coming back via Kickstarter

Post by Blackhawk »

There really hasn't been much done with them lately - too bad they can't just re-license them.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Blackhawk wrote:There really hasn't been much done with them lately - too bad they can't just re-license them.
Yeah...I saw someone asked them in the Kickstarter comments (based on Google's cache) if the Unseen were going to be in the game but unfortunately haven't seen the answer. It's possible that they have
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, if they're using MWO models, this is what the intertubes tell me a MWO Marauder would look like:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm ok with that.
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah...from the Kickstarter FAQ (scroll down)
Will “The Unseen” ‘Mechs be in your game?
We’re excited by the great redesigns Piranha and Catalyst have done for some those “imperially entangled” ‘Mechs but we’re not committing to them right now. However, it’s a long time until we ship, so cross your fingers!
And
Which ’Mechs will be in the game?
BATTLETECH is in pre-production, so many decisions, like the final 'Mech roster, are not yet determined. But here are the 'Mechs we're currently planning to include:

LIGHT: Locust, Commando, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Urbanmech

MEDIUM: Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadowhawk, Wolverine

HEAVY: Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, JagerMech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Orion

ASSAULT: Awesome, Victor, Zeus, BattleMaster, Stalker, Highlander, Banshee, King Crab, Atlas
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

How could I forget the Awesome? So very nice.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

12 days to go and only $104,000 left before I get my customizable home base/dropship.

So... very... close...
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Cicada?
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

El Guapo wrote:Cicada?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cicada
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Cicada.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

According to the email I just got...re-imaged Warhammers and Mauraders are in

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Det ... er-whm-11t

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Det ... nty-hunter

Just upgraded to the Order of Vahalla level, so hopefully a few other idiots like me will do the same so we get some more stretch goals :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

IceBear wrote:
I'm just not sure why you would name a war machine after an annoying but harmless insect. At least "Locust" invokes swarm imagery.
Black Lives Matter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ah, yeah...There's a few like that. King Crab doesn't exactly fill me with terror like an assault battlemech should :) It's more like....hey now, where's the garlic butter :)
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Even though the dollar amount doesn't show $2mil reached the funding tree now shows that milestone has been reached. Customizable dropships for everyone!
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Biyobi wrote:Even though the dollar amount doesn't show $2mil reached the funding tree now shows that milestone has been reached. Customizable dropships for everyone!
They also take direct pledges through Paypal, outside of the Kickstarter system. The Paypal total is shown just above the "The Basics" section on the project page, and they use the total of the Kickstarter+Paypal amounts for milestones.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Biyobi wrote:Even though the dollar amount doesn't show $2mil reached the funding tree now shows that milestone has been reached. Customizable dropships for everyone!
Yea! Furniture made from the shattered wrecks of my enemies, shag carpet and a hanging disco ball that will double as a holographic projector for briefings here I come.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote:
IceBear wrote:
I'm just not sure why you would name a war machine after an annoying but harmless insect. At least "Locust" invokes swarm imagery.
They don't seem like much, but once every 17 years they absolutely kick your ass.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

For GreenGoo

Warhammer
Enlarge Image

Marauder
Enlarge Image
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:Ah, yeah...There's a few like that. King Crab doesn't exactly fill me with terror like an assault battlemech should :) It's more like....hey now, where's the garlic butter :)
Didn't someone develop a direct counter to the King Crab? The Butter Dip or something like that?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Battlemaster is one of my favorite assault mechs
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tru1cy wrote:Battlemaster is one of my favorite assault mechs
Battlemaster is another readily identifiable image tied to Battletech. In that I like the look.

I'm not a fan of the mech itself though.

I've been giving some thought to which mechs I "like" and don't like, and why. I like the look of a lot of mechs. I like using some mechs in tabletop that I don't actually like the look of. The centurion is a mech that is very versatile and effective beyond it's weight cost, even if it's the most boring mech to look at, even just on paper (ie. stats). But man, it gets under estimated and therefore is under estimated all the time.

So if someone were to say I like the centurion, my first instinct is "it sucks" based on looks, but then I remember "it's awesome" in play. Not as a main battle mech but as a support mech for almost any mission.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Which Mech Are You?

Apparently I'm a Thunderbolt.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Hah, that was fun. It says I am an Atlas...well of course I am!
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I also got the Atlas. Yay!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Panther
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That video makes me really, really want this game! I'll have to wait for release, but it will be at the top of my list when it does.

Also:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I'm an Atlas.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm a Victor. Yay.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I'm hoping they don't hit the 2.5 mil mark just so that they will focus exclusively on the single player game quality.
There is no hug button. Sad!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

killbot737 wrote:I'm hoping they don't hit the 2.5 mil mark just so that they will focus exclusively on the single player game quality.
Me too. I think adding MP significantly increases the risk of creating a single player game that isn't as much fun to play.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm in at the $85 Initiate level. I would have considered the $125 Scion level, but I just don't see myself wearing a cap with "Battletech" printed on the peak. My public displays of nerdacity do have limits. :)

OTOH, I actually do need to replace my ratty old Steamwhistle cap, so I may take the extra money and use it to get one of these instead.

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

ColdSteel wrote:
killbot737 wrote:I'm hoping they don't hit the 2.5 mil mark just so that they will focus exclusively on the single player game quality.
Me too. I think adding MP significantly increases the risk of creating a single player game that isn't as much fun to play.
Count me in that camp. On the other hand, I would love to stomp some of friends in local or remote competitive play. Well, whatever, I trust these guys.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:Panther
Same
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I got Thunderbolt. Really, I'd be happy as long as I didn't get a light or a slow-poke assault.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At the moment, they are a little more than $52k shy of the multiplayer stretch goal, with a little less than 2 days to go.

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, with the Paypal funds included, they've hit the 2.5 million mark and MP will be added. I was waiting to see if they hit that to see if I wanted to back it or not. If they looked like they were not going to hit the MP goal, I would have backed it. Since MP is in, I will wait until it comes out and see what impact that actually has on the single player portion of the game before I buy it. I think they made a bad mistake there, but time will tell.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They haven't officially marked it as unlocked, but it looks like multiplayer is on. At this moment, I'm seeing a grand total of $2,517,728, with about 30 hours to go.

Edit: Oops, Isgrimnured by ColdSteel. :)

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ColdSteel wrote:Well, with the Paypal funds included, they've hit the 2.5 million mark and MP will be added. I was waiting to see if they hit that to see if I wanted to back it or not. If they looked like they were not going to hit the MP goal, I would have backed it. Since MP is in, I will wait until it comes out and see what impact that actually has on the single player portion of the game before I buy it. I think they made a bad mistake there, but time will tell.
I don't think it will be a problem (famous last words, I know ;) ). As I understand it, they aren't trying to add multiplayer to the entire game, they're just adding multiplayer arena combat on Solaris VII. Aside from consuming development resources, it should have little-to-no impact on things like play balance in the main singleplayer game. As long as they haven't seriously underestimated the budget to add the multiplayer component, I think they'll be fine.

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Max Peck wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Well, with the Paypal funds included, they've hit the 2.5 million mark and MP will be added. I was waiting to see if they hit that to see if I wanted to back it or not. If they looked like they were not going to hit the MP goal, I would have backed it. Since MP is in, I will wait until it comes out and see what impact that actually has on the single player portion of the game before I buy it. I think they made a bad mistake there, but time will tell.
I don't think it will be a problem (famous last words, I know ;) ). As I understand it, they aren't trying to add multiplayer to the entire game, they're just adding multiplayer arena combat on Solaris VII. Aside from consuming development resources, it should have little-to-no impact on things like play balance in the main singleplayer game. As long as they haven't seriously underestimated the budget to add the multiplayer component, I think they'll be fine.
Agreed. Plus they are successful Kickstarter veterans so they know how to budget things properly. Plus, not sure how much balancing there needs to be...all they should be doing is recreating the mechs that already exist in the pen and paper system (which has decades of balancing built into it in terms of mech designing and assigning Battle Value (BV) to each mech so that two players can pick a lance each from a set BV total (say 1000) so have fairly balanced battles.