Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

baelthazar

Re: Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by baelthazar »

JonathanStrange wrote:Damn! Now I want to fastforward to the release date.
I would accept fast-forwarding to when they ANNOUNCE the release date!
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

That all sounds amazing if it works as advertised. This is a game I will almost certainly buy sight unseen; I expect it'll have problems out of the gate, but Paradox as a primary development studio is very good about fixing what's broken and providing long-term updates to their games.
tgb

Post by tgb »

This is my second most anticipated game of 2016.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lee

Post by Lee »

tgb wrote:
Really, you are going to leave us hanging?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

ColdSteel wrote:There will be planet bound species to monitor as well. You can passively watch or add in abductions and surgeries
These planet bound species can be genetically modified and controlled or you can commit genocide against them
Out of all the new information in that info dump, that made me smile the most. In this game WE get to commit the alien abductions and cattle mutilations.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lee wrote:
tgb wrote:
That Which Sleeps holds the number one position.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

tgb wrote:
Lee wrote:
tgb wrote:
That Which Sleeps holds the number one position.
Hats off for an excellent choice!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ColdSteel wrote:Here's a huge chunk of new info on the game that I found over at RPG Codex:
Supposed to be a marriage between GSG and 4x games
What is GSG? Grand Strategy Game?
tgb wrote:This is my second most anticipated game of 2016.
Optimist... :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

^ Heh, yeah. Given the development cycle of HoI 4, then 2017 may be ambitious.
tgb

Post by tgb »

baelthazar wrote:^ Heh, yeah. Given the development cycle of HoI 4, then 2017 may be ambitious.
Perhaps. But I would think making a grand strategy game with a commitment to historical fealty is a lot tougher than making one that is pure fantasy. Explaining why a pikeman can defeat a tank is a lot tougher than explaining why a single survey ship can defeat a space squid, where the answer is just "because we said so".
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:Explaining why a pikeman can defeat a tank is a lot tougher than explaining why a single survey ship can defeat a space squid, where the answer is just "because we said so".
True, but that example is more of an issue for Firaxis than it is for Paradox. :)

Nonetheless, I still don't expect to see Stellaris released until at least a year after HoI4 is out (although I'd love to see Paradox prove me wrong).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

Max Peck wrote:
tgb wrote:Explaining why a pikeman can defeat a tank is a lot tougher than explaining why a single survey ship can defeat a space squid, where the answer is just "because we said so".
True, but that example is more of an issue for Firaxis than it is for Paradox. :)
I know. I was just looking for the most familiar example.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:
baelthazar wrote:^ Heh, yeah. Given the development cycle of HoI 4, then 2017 may be ambitious.
Perhaps. But I would think making a grand strategy game with a commitment to historical fealty is a lot tougher than making one that is pure fantasy. Explaining why a pikeman can defeat a tank is a lot tougher than explaining why a single survey ship can defeat a space squid, where the answer is just "because we said so".
A decent point, but I ran across something that gave me pause - HoI 4 was announced in January, 2014. It probably will not release until at least January, 2016. I think they had been internally working on it and testing it earlier than the announcement date. Also, Stellaris has a VERY ambitious set of features, some of which will require lots of testing, balancing, and bug squashing. I would not be surprised with a late 2017 or early 2018 release. Sucks... because I want it NOW!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

baelthazar wrote:
tgb wrote:
A decent point, but I ran across something that gave me pause - HoI 4 was announced in January, 2014. It probably will not release until at least January, 2016. I think they had been internally working on it and testing it earlier than the announcement date. Also, Stellaris has a VERY ambitious set of features, some of which will require lots of testing, balancing, and bug squashing. I would not be surprised with a late 2017 or early 2018 release. Sucks... because I want it NOW!
The OP has the leaked Steam screenshot showing the release date as February 16, 2016. Now granted, they may not make that date but it probably shows when they think it will be done. They've been working on the game for years and apparently it's pretty far along. Actually, I think a really complex game like this would be perfect for Steam EA so they can polish it and get the glitches out before launch so I hope it's available in EA even before February.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I can't see Paradox doing EA. Also, those Steam dates can be arbitrary (and that leaked Steam page was promptly taken down). If they intended to make Q1 2016, I would suspect they might have said something. Still, I hope you are right.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

May 9th is the release date. Not long to wait at all.
Holman

Post by Holman »

ColdSteel wrote:May 9th is the release date. Not long to wait at all.
:shock:

I haven't kept up with the forums over there. Does it look solid? Are the previews reassuring?

I love Paradox's ambition, but I'm still made wary by their track record.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Holman wrote:Does it look solid? Are the previews reassuring?
Yes, they've been doing a weekly developer diary on the Paradox site here.
The information revealed looks fantastic and there's a lot of genuine excitement about the game out there.

They had a news conference at GDC last night to reveal the release date. There will be new videos and other material floating about in the next week. Here's the new GDC in-game trailer from last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJYRLFvJVFg
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I watched the 40-minute developer talk about it. I'm 100% in on release day. The bits that stuck out to me:

- "If my scientist had the "mad scientist" trait, I might get some really out there technology options, like orbital mind control lasers."
- You can uplift other life forms. You'll want to do this or use robots and such because terraforming isn't really a thing, and you'll want to have more options of planets to inhabit than the biome your species is cool with.
- However, robot uprisings are a thing that can happen.
- Critical failures in research missions may result in small stuff like the ship being destroyed, or bigger consequences, like knocking an asteroid into a collision path with a planet.
- Archaeological victory conditions are a thing that exist.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will almost certainly buy this immediately and then reflect wistfully about how I no longer have enough time to play games like this. Money well spent.
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote:I will almost certainly buy this immediately and then reflect wistfully about how I no longer have enough time to play games like this. Money well spent.
Don't you spend a few hours on a plane every week? That seems like plenty of time to play this.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Chaz wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I will almost certainly buy this immediately and then reflect wistfully about how I no longer have enough time to play games like this. Money well spent.
Don't you spend a few hours on a plane every week? That seems like plenty of time to play this.
Playing it cramped between two fat guys having a farting contest and surrounded by screaming infants just isn't the same.
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

NickAragua wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Playing it cramped between two fat guys having a farting contest and surrounded by screaming infants just isn't the same.
In that case, I question the commitment to the cause of galactic domination. Mad Scientist is a trait! It affects available research! Come on!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:
It's an hour each way, and I sleep on the way down. Is there a way to plug it directly into my brain so that I can play it while sleeping? That would open up a lot of new playtime.
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Man, I should not have watched that Quill18 preview... I'm not sure I can wait a month and a half for this now. :P
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I never preorder anything. But I was sad when I saw Steam isn't taking preorders yet. Take my money!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Chaz wrote:
NickAragua wrote:
Chaz wrote:
In that case, I question the commitment to the cause of galactic domination. Mad Scientist is a trait! It affects available research! Come on!
Now that I think about it, that's really just a way of increasing the game's difficulty.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote:
Chaz wrote:
It's an hour each way, and I sleep on the way down. Is there a way to plug it directly into my brain so that I can play it while sleeping? That would open up a lot of new playtime.
Just watched the episode of Dr Who last night from this season where they dealt with something like this. :)
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The first stream of the game was done yesterday. Here it is now on YouTube for your viewing pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Dang it... watching these videos is like torture! This looks like the successor to Distant Worlds for my 4X empire building!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Yes, it sure is. This one really has my attention. I don't think I'm going to be able to avoid a rare (for me) day one purchase. Can't wait to try this.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

baelthazar wrote:Dang it... watching these videos is like torture! This looks like the successor to Distant Worlds for my 4X empire building!
That's why I'm refusing to watch more gameplay videos until release. No torture for me!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Aside from the obvious graphical differences, how does Stellaris compare to Distant Worlds in depth and detail?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Stellaris looks like it has fewer resources and no giant civilian ship economy. However, it does have planetary buildings and political edicts (sort of like EU4's decisions). I would say a more abstracted economy but a stronger political game. The ship design looks comparable to stuff like MOO, but no game has quite the ship design complexity of Distant Worlds.
RMC

Post by RMC »

baelthazar wrote:Stellaris looks like it has fewer resources and no giant civilian ship economy. However, it does have planetary buildings and political edicts (sort of like EU4's decisions). I would say a more abstracted economy but a stronger political game. The ship design looks comparable to stuff like MOO, but no game has quite the ship design complexity of Distant Worlds.
It it real time like distant worlds or more turn based like gc3?
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Pausable real time with an adjustable game speed, and you can give orders while paused. I'm allergic to real time strategy, but the way Paradox does it is just fine with me.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Chaz wrote:Pausable real time with an adjustable game speed, and you can give orders while paused. I'm allergic to real time strategy, but the way Paradox does it is just fine with me.
That makes it easier for me, as I hate that about paradox games. I loved the games, but could never quite get over the real time aspect. Call me old. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

NickAragua wrote:
Chaz wrote:
But you have to admit, I clearly won.
He won. Period.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

baelthazar wrote:Stellaris looks like it has fewer resources and no giant civilian ship economy. However, it does have planetary buildings and political edicts (sort of like EU4's decisions). I would say a more abstracted economy but a stronger political game. The ship design looks comparable to stuff like MOO, but no game has quite the ship design complexity of Distant Worlds.
I think one other big difference is that they have heavily emphasized exploration in Stellaris. They want you to run into ancient mysteries of the universe on forgotten planets and research those mysteries. These are sort of like quests and can be chained. The results can be almost anything. From awakening an ancient system devouring horror to finding new technologies or races. It's the part of the game I'm most hyped about, actually.

Also, Paradox published the 'Sword of the Stars' games from Kerberos and it's clear that they've taken some things from those games. SOTS1 in particular. A good example being the different FTL technologies for races that are identical to what's in SOTS. They seem to have borrowed pieces and pieces from the best 4x space games out there.

My biggest concern is the combat. I hope it has enough to be satisfying. I can live without direct control of my ships as long as I can provide some kind of orders or scripting in advance of the battle. I can live with a system similar to Dominions 4 for example. I think maybe you can do that with combat computers.
The combat might be off-hand, but you can still indirectly affect how each individual ship will behave. When you design your ship you may specify what combat computer to use on the ship. These computers range from making your ship super aggressive, and basically charge the enemy, or be really defensive and keep formation. At the start of the game only the default combat computer is available, but more are unlocked through normal research or reverse engineering.

So, we'll see, I guess.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Great gameplay video with the lead developer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shoiYDp7EEA

Shows off a lot of the new game stuff, and almost an hour of early gameplay.

And a new episode is steaming live right now:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive