Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Stellaris: New Paradox Sci Fi Grand Strategy

Post by Lassr »

Yep, but i have found the changes have made the game better. I actually won my first game last time I played after playing this since it came out. I had one game when it first came out where i survived for many centuries but did not "win" the game and there was nothing left that I could do but watch the years pile up as I did nothing, so I counted that as a win since I didn't kill off my civilization.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am Bought the first expansion and the (first) cheap story line pack over the Steam Holiday sale. Started this game up since the first time from before Heinlein or even the spore pack was released. The game is unrecognizable from what I had learned. I'ma have to learn the game all over. The starting pace appears to be much slower and I don't know a ton of features and you only get hyperspace lanes and you start with nothing and you can't go to other systems until you send a science vessel and...

I think I may have to wiki study before I invest too much in relearning the the learning curve with false starts.
I hate to the bearer (barer?) of news. They are heavily redoing planets so any learning might be wiped. On the other hand there’s no release date and the current version is fun.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

bearer
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I go ahead and play through anyway. :) I think when I start up a paradox new item informs me they're off for the summer anyway.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 pmbearer
Thanks!

I forgot about the summer thing. The lead developer has been teasing screenshots on Twitter, but there’s probably no progress.

I bought CK2 in 2012. The gold edition. I still haven’t played because I’m waiting for the final version. I don’t think I’m ever going to play, but I’ll have collected all important DLC. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm They are heavily redoing planets so any learning might be wiped. On the other hand there’s no release date and the current version is fun.
And holy crap have planets been heavily re-done. There appear to be very few viable planets now, not just very native habitable planets. I got hemmed in pretty quick with a grand total of 4 habitable planets with another 4 that need to be tarraformed. That's of probably 40 plus (maybe many plus) systems I surveyed and claimed and to claim those systems my research took the nose dive.

There is a crazy amount of empire to balance and I think I like it but it's way slower. I think I was over 100 years in to my game and I was just building crap destroyers to round out my total fleet size of about 70 units. I thought I was going to get steam rolled but forcing the AI to play by the same rules (thank goodness for that setting) they were no better off than I am.

After a weekend and learning about unity and how influence is waaaaay more precious than it was when last I played, I'ma false start a 100+ year old game where hyperlanes fenced me in, nobody likes me, and yet I don't have the means to prepare for war.

Take three will see me launching science vessels and exploring rather than surveying so I can find my neighbors and set early choke points with real starbases in case they're like "DUDE, WTF?" I will also be a little more judicious with my early influence, so I can use it to set choke points.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:42 am And holy crap have planets been heavily re-done.
Habitable planets are just a little random in the current build. You are guaranteed a nearby sister planet of your type, but anything beyond that is completely random. I've had games where I'm swimming in good planets, and others where I have only 2 planets through much of the early game.

The good news is with the way we claim systems now that's not the complete disaster it would have been before when planets were key to claiming space. Planets add to your population, and are much denser sources of resources, but you can still thrive without them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The whole thing is interesting. I'm debating taking a hearty race when it comes habitability but that feels like going from just playing smart, to downright gaming a systems punishing aspects. I also think it will make slaving more interesting.... assuming I get that far in the game. I'll just enslave races with good suitable habitability until I later terraform them out of existence. (I'm playing the bad guys... Did I not mention that)

From the looks of it, there are reasons to play pacifists too. I'm looking forward to discovering different playing styles... after I conger the galaxy the first time....
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am The whole thing is interesting. I'm debating taking a hearty race when it comes habitability but that feels like going from just playing smart, to downright gaming a systems punishing aspects. I also think it will make slaving more interesting.... assuming I get that far in the game. I'll just enslave races with good suitable habitability until I later terraform them out of existence. (I'm playing the bad guys... Did I not mention that)

From the looks of it, there are reasons to play pacifists too. I'm looking forward to discovering different playing styles... after I conger the galaxy the first time....
If you want a fun game conquering the galaxy and never having to worry about habitability, you might try a machine empire with the determined exterminator civic. Machines can settle all types of planets, and determined exterminators get a lot of bonuses to their ships, with the downside that they can't make friends with biologicals.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am
I played mostly under patch 2.0x. I kept restarting, thinking this was the time. Then the game would throw something new at me. It’s a lot of fun losing :D
Last edited by Fitzy on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:36 am If you want a fun game conquering the galaxy and never having to worry about habitability, you might try a machine empire with the determined exterminator civic. Machines can settle all types of planets, and determined exterminators get a lot of bonuses to their ships, with the downside that they can't make friends with biologicals.
I did not pay for that DLC yet. Waiting for a good sale. I only have to of the paid for DLC. The first big one (Leviathans? whom I have yet to see) and the first story pack... Which appears to be Synthetic Dawn... Maybe I do have a playable machines... Though, that will be a future game I think. I do like the idea of different games with different styles and exploring them but I want to start with the traditional 4x dictatorial approach game. That should give me the feel for how much I'd enjoy the other styles.
Fitzy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am I played mostly under patch 2.0x. I kept restarting, thinking this was the time. Then the game would through something new at me. It’s a lot of fun losing :D
That sounds like my play style.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Reset again last night and traded bonus core world starts for bonus unity, I think. Also got rid of my materialist trait and went hard core xenophope so I could build more starports early game. We'll see how it goes. My zealous early expansion with starports seems to have garnered the attention of space pirates on many fronts and my neighbors still seem to be able to grab choke points before I do. But this still feels more comfortable for a long learning game so far. I went for the explore tradition which will get me the core worlds increase and even cheaper starport influence quickly.

My normal 4x rationales of research and population always wins is right out the window. Every thing is focused on early territory grab to establish borders.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

It can be random at the best of times, but my best games generally have races that have some sort of mineral bonus. In the mid game there's a lot that depends on how quickly you can build up and how many ships you can safely support, and having mineral income is the key to both of those.

As you noted, influence production is also very useful in the early game.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ugh. Many years into my game. I have about 200 of the 1000 systems and I constantly get asked to participate in wars I'll have no stake in. I must have accidentally clicked on OK to of the invitations, nothing to gain in the war, a defense pact ally is on my border where I am not defended and will take years to get ships there. Ships that were lining up another border where all my influence was being spent to prepare for an invasion, now on hold. No confirmation, "you sure you want to go to war?" nope. War has been declared! Trying to hold the line and not reset hundreds of years in the game.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Confirmations in games are a source of constant complaints to devs, so they are going away. Just use the space bar to pause relentlessly.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:54 am Confirmations in games are a source of constant complaints to devs, so they are going away. Just use the space bar to pause relentlessly.
I do. I just hate that I get these invitations to go to war constantly. I click on them to get details and the spot that normally acknowledges a message and tells it to go away is an agreement to get pulled in to someone elses war that you have no control over. So I got sloppy and must have instinctually clicked lower right instead of lower left one time out of like the 50 times I've been asked and boom, I'm the aggressor in a war by accident and have no control over how its waged and nothing to be gained from winning anyway. Normally I would save scrum for such a sloppy unintentional act (which I am prone to far too often especially in real time games), but for reasons I don't understand I play for achievements and paradox makes you play iron man for achievements. It's my cross, but I don't have to like bearing it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

You think that's bad, my last time attempting this game I was next to a fallen empire and they decided to "wake up". They had about three fleets, each with 2x the firepower rating of my one fleet.

I somehow managed to hold my own though, by jumping around their home systems, blowing up random stations and kiting their fleet around until they got tired and accepted a white peace. So I spent the next ten years desperately researching techs and trying to build up my fleets.

Then the ten year truce ran out and they wiped the floor with me anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I tend to start new games of Stellaris less with the mentality of a normal 4x game, but more with the mentality that Stellaris is a rogue-like and I'm merely learning the sometimes short story of whatever star nation I'm playing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:36 am You think that's bad, my last time attempting this game I was next to a fallen empire and they decided to "wake up". They had about three fleets, each with 2x the firepower rating of my one fleet.

I somehow managed to hold my own though, by jumping around their home systems, blowing up random stations and kiting their fleet around until they got tired and accepted a white peace. So I spent the next ten years desperately researching techs and trying to build up my fleets.

Then the ten year truce ran out and they wiped the floor with me anyway.
I haven't seen a fallen empire or leviathan since I picked up the game again. I wan't to play this game through. I put in, I figure two (three?) weeks in and I am probably less than 10% complete and this one click of the button seems like it is ruining everything... And I have so many lessons learned that can now be applied...

I am enjoying how the game feels much more like evolutionary in its tech advances. I'm ambivalent about unity. It really feels like a 4th tech tree, wherein you have more control. And yet I take a small sense of pride every time I advance my ability to generate unity.

Playing in 1000 system galaxy and having pulled in about 200 systems, I am also to appreciate influence hoarding and expenditure way more. Gathering influence, to date, has been really hard. I may need to understanding of war goals and their impacts and threat and I don't know what else.

Much much much to like in the changes but annoyances still annoy. The galaxy has quantifiable for my ability to describe them that make it feel more alive and growing. Whereas before it was a race to get to maximum ships and then expand by conquering until crisis.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Dev diaries should start up again tomorrow, but one of the lead devs has been posting hints and screenshots about the next expansion including some details of the planet management revamp.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward

Among other posts:

A sampling of some buildings in the new planet management system. Numbers very much non-final.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. That looks like a total departure from the way pops and buildings have been done since day one but not enough details to know if I will appreciate it.

I found my unintended war was enough to reset. If I were smart, I'd set the game down until the update date is announced. But I've never been accused of being smart and I'm enjoying myself enough and I just spent money during the steam summer sale so, ima continue playing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was kinda 'meh' on my race after the accidental war screwed with my game so I put that on hold.

Tried a pacifist race to see how it works out, Getting people into you federations is daunting, so I put that on hold as well.

Then I tried playing hoard race. After I all but took out my first neighbor in the first 50 years, everyone decided to go federation. So far I'm OK with that. I just upgraded by star ports tech to level 3 and I'm being meticulous about waging war grab good choke points. I control about 60 systems, have too many worlds to keep straight already (14?) and only have 5 entry points in to my territory. I tried to get it down to 3 but I over estimated my hand on a level 2 enemy starport jacked with defensive platforms. They sued for peace before its conclusion and I took it before finishing the job. The volume of worlds from early conquering really puts the screws on your ability to research and completely destroys your unity.

The hoard fit my natural playing style after 35 years or so of 4x games. While I'm trying to play other styles, I'll probably stick with this one until I beat the game or the patch changes it.

You never forget your first. Only I played on 15" Black and White TV, as I did with all my computer gaming in 80s. It never phased me as a less than great experience.
If I keep enjoying myself I may just spend the lucre to get some more of the DLC at premium pricing. I suppose that's how it's done. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Dev Diary

Economic system is getting an overhaul soon along with planet management.
With this system in place, we've been able to add several new 'advanced' resources to the game. They are as follows: Alloys, Rare Crystals, Volatile Motes and Exotic Gases. These resources are either manufactured from basic resources or found in rare planetary deposits (or both!) and are used to construct more advanced things in the game, such as ship components, megastructures, certain buildings and so on. There is also still a number of strategic resources such as Dark Matter and Living Metal that provide unique benefits, though precisely how many of these we will keep and how they are used is something we're still in the process of figuring out.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'll be glad when it drops!!!
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Developer diary about worlds. First of four

This looks like a big change with major game ramifications. I think. I’m hoping it’s more than just a cosmetic UI change.

No more tiles. No more separate labs for each type of reasearch, not sure if that means research will be equal or not.

Sounds like upgrades will be more meaningful.

Trade routes! If done well this could change the whole economy and if they can be interdicted could change warfare. Not sure how far they are going.

Huge post with lots of information and still 3 more just on Planet rework to come.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New changes look really good. Seems like it will both make planets more interesting than just finding various resource numbers on the surface, and make late game planet micromanagement less grindy.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

2nd Of Planet Dev Diaries

I’m excited for these changes as described. It will be interesting to see how they implement them and how fun it is. And they’ve only released 2 out of 4 diaries on this one topic. Though I’d assume that others changes beyond planets will be minimal.

Not being limited by tiles for growth could be a great change.

It seems like there’s some influence from Gal Civ III with the jobs idea, but it’s implemented quite a bit differently. Fewer jobs I think and limited to planet not galaxy wide. Plus all pops have a job (or unemployed) not just specialists giving bonuses.

[Edit addition] I said influenced from Gal Civ III, but saw a post on Reddit suggesting jobs might be more similar to Tropico. You influence the availability of jobs, but do not have direct control over what the pops do. They also apparently hate demotions to the point where they’ll prefer to stay unemployed (unemployment is bad for the empire) than take a lower job (taking a lower job is really bad). That sounds awesome!

Not sure I like the limitation on only one species being able to grow per planet. It seems arbitrary that if there are 5 different species only one will gain population at a time. Arbitrary may not be the right word, since you get some control, but I’d still prefer all species grow with a planetary modifier for growth speed divided among all populations. Still, it’ll all come down to how it plays so this won’t be holding me back from buying this day 1.

I’m a little surprised they are doing this is a 2.x version and not 3.0, it seems like it’s going to completely change the game.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Have they discussed a release date for the changes?
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

No, a while is the last I heard. There’s at least two more developer diaries on the planet changes. I’d suspect at least a couple on whatever DLC is being released with this patch. I can’t imagine under a month but I’d guess more than 3, maybe not even this year. Which bugs me, I hate getting excited for games that I have to wait for :lol:
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I feel like I'll be able to come back to this game in about a year or so, and it'll be a completely different game than the one I played when it first came out.
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am I feel like I'll be able to come back to this game in about a year or so, and it'll be a completely different game than the one I played when it first came out.
I started around 1.8 or 9 I think and 2.0 was a different game. I can’t even imagine what not playing since the beginning and coming back would be like.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am I feel like I'll be able to come back to this game in about a year or so, and it'll be a completely different game than the one I played when it first came out.
I started around 1.8 or 9 I think and 2.0 was a different game. I can’t even imagine what not playing since the beginning and coming back would be like.
It's a wholly different game. I set it down before the first (and it was purely cosmetic for Plantoids) DLC was released. Not as a wholly different as colonization is about to be become, but wholly different just the same. I'm still learning a lot of the new dynamics.

The Scourge (Gesta.... Consciousness) was not a playable race, and there was no unity. So, I get about 100 years in to one of these games before I realize how feeding the race works by resettling your prey on existing colonies and seeing that shows how important and unique the unity "purity" is for the race... I was also 100 years in before a habitat became available. I had to learn how that works and more and more and more.

I will admit to being disappointed that hyperlanes are the only way to travel. I though having three unique forms of travel was such an interesting dynamic.

The game has its hooks in me. I hope I finish a game before the big colonizing changes update comes out.

I will also say the game is interesting enough that when I am likely to by more of the content DLC to see more of the game play additions.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New expansion announced!

Sounds like the core Le Guin patch will add the revamped planet and population mechanics among other things, and the expansion will focus on trade and economics.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I can't do Paradox games anymore. Too much DLC without eventual package options to catch up. While I like that it keeps development going and the games improving, they really need discount packages of the DLC, upgrades to a collectors edition, etc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 pm I can't do Paradox games anymore. Too much DLC without eventual package options to catch up. While I like that it keeps development going and the games improving, they really need discount packages of the DLC, upgrades to a collectors edition, etc.
I admit I don't care for the model either, but at least I don't feel compelled to pay for cosmetic updates. I'll wait to get this until the next time I feel like picking up Stellaris and then I'll play until either I put the game down or the DLC goes on a good sale so I don't feel like I'm paying for the new tech six months or two years after its released.

Their model makes it impossible to jump in to a game like CKII this late though, as years and years and years after the fact they've never made an affordable bundle of stuff years and years old.

So it's win/lose with them. If you commit to being in early, the DLC over such a long period of time to keep the game fresh and interesting is awesome. But attracting new players to your long on going game world, seems about impossible, even when they do things like occasionally give the base game of CKII for free.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Whenever a new expansion comes out, they tend to put all the older DLC on sale... that's how I usually pick up most of the expansions for CK2 and HoI4.
abr

Post by abr »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 pm Whenever a new expansion comes out, they tend to put all the older DLC on sale... that's how I usually pick up most of the expansions for CK2 and HoI4.
Yeah, and Steam often offers up discounted bundles of multiple DLCs on these occasions.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

abr wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:57 pm Whenever a new expansion comes out, they tend to put all the older DLC on sale... that's how I usually pick up most of the expansions for CK2 and HoI4.
Yeah, and Steam often offers up discounted bundles of multiple DLCs on these occasions.
And I took advantage and picked up a bundle on sale. I've been watching this one since it came out and finally bought the game. I've only put in a couple of hours so far, playing slowly and reading all the tool tips. Seems like a steep learning curve and I'm sure at some point I'll start over.

Just founded a colony for the first time and had just met the first AI race when I saved for the day to get ready for work.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Dramatist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:54 pm
abr wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:25 pm
And I took advantage and picked up a bundle on sale. I've been watching this one since it came out and finally bought the game. I've only put in a couple of hours so far, playing slowly and reading all the tool tips. Seems like a steep learning curve and I'm sure at some point I'll start over.

Just founded a colony for the first time and had just met the first AI race when I saved for the day to get ready for work.
Welcome aboard! :D Feel free to throw out any question you have. I think I'm approaching 1000 hours played, so I know my way around most of the mechanics now. ;)
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

So I bought the base game and Apocalypse, Horizon Signal and Utopia and first game I am playing as humans. I'm following the tips for the most part, exploring, building starbases and mining stations. I've only colonized 3 worlds that suit my species well and not ones that are ok to colonize but not very suitable for humans. Research seems slow but I've only just chosen things that look interesting and haven't dug down into seeing if I can focus on one area more than another. I've met a couple of races and fought some pirates.

I have no idea how I'm doing, I seem busy enough surveying worlds and researching anomalies but I only have two science vessels and two construction ships.

I am having fun just exploring the game world though. I just have no idea about start strategies.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest