Empyrion - Galactic Survival

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Post by jztemple2 »

Apollo wrote:Unfortunately, it's been so long since I have posted an image on the interwebs that I wouldn't have a clue of how to post any screenshots. But, hey, thanks for reminding me about this great game again. I'm having so much fun now that I can only imagine how good it will be once it is actually finished!
I use Imgur.com for posting. It's free for over 200 images per account. And I get around that by using several accounts :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Just resurfacing this thread to say the game is still coming along nicely. Previously I made it as far as exploring other worlds, but there wasn't much going on when I got there. I've logged a couple day's play with a new character and have enjoyed the differences since I played 5 months ago.

Base turrets now seem to work properly and take down Drones with pretty good accuracy (before they can even get close enough to be a threat). Vehicle-mounted turrets also take down hostiles with ease. The Hover Vehicle has been given a reason for existing, and that reason is drill and harvester attachments that make mining and collecting a breeze. The visuals and enemy AI seem largely the same, but Troop Transports come in larger numbers, meaning more targets to worry about. The Multitool has multiple modes - disassemble (return to components), collect (pick up the block without breaking it down), Repair, and move/rotate (without collecting first). When starting a new Survival game on the basic planet, it's pretty easy to land within spitting distance of an abandoned farm that can keep you fed and give you a safe place to hunker down at night until your first base is built. There's supposed to be more content on other worlds and in space, but I haven't gotten to that stuff yet.

I'm really liking the HV Mining - a pair of drill bits on the front, a chest to automatically collect and store the ore, and you can strip out a resource pocket in about 10 minutes. The only issue I have with it is that the thing hovers based on the terrain, so as you make jagged cuts into the ground, you loll around and flip haphazardly - still no problem getting out as you can "O" to Orient yourself again and then dig at an angle upwards to get out. The HV designs I use are about as bland as my fighters from previous pages, designed to be low and narrow so they can burrow into the earth and park easily in my base, but it still looks pretty cool with a turret mounted on the back and two massive drills coming out the front.

All in all, positive changes that have made the game more fun, and it's still in "Alpha" so there's more to come.

*Edit: Playing around with HV's and drilling, it seems this really favors smaller vehicles. My original HV was a very spartan design with absolute bare essentials and only two drill bits, an open cockpit, and a minigun behind me. It worked pretty well, but I thought something beefier would be better. To that end, I went into Creative mode tested out a couple builds with blueprints, and made a really sweet looking full-enclosed shell (open cockpit with a plain tilted glass wall "windshield" - meaning I could stand up inside it without disembarking) with 6 drills on the front. In practice, this thing dug like a monster, but I couldn't see where I was really going and ended up getting hopelessly stuck in my own pit. A second design brought the whole thing back to smaller proportions, but it was still kind of long, and it just couldn't navigate inside it's own holes easily. So - back to the drawing board to make a very short design that maybe can turn around inside a hole it makes. My original tiny HV, made out of necessity, seems more ideal. Who knew.

I'll keep the open cockpit inside a flying building theme in mind for my SV, though. I really liked being able to get out of my seat without completely ejecting from the ship.

I'll also plan to have a HV "Tank" that's not for drilling that I can deploy from a landed CV and use for base assaults. It's crazy-helpful that your turrets automatically know where enemy cores are and can target them from hundreds of meters out. Of course, this means I need to either keep a battle tank blueprint built and "on hold" while I fly around, or make a small, land-able CV. I like monstrously large CV's, so I'll probably keep a Factory blueprint ready to deploy when I land somewhere. Maybe with enough materials to make a small defensive base to store it in.

*Edit: 2017-02-19: A quick screen of my super-tiny CV, the Flying Corgi (inspired and named for a real boat I've been on). It has all the amenities, in only 1/20th of the space. It handles about as well as a SV with just one thruster in each direction, and has proven excellent as a drilling platform and to transport my HV to other planets. It lacks gravity or warp, so will end up scrapped soon - or just parked forever in my base for posterity. What it does do well, though, is planetary landings - with the deployed HV tucked on the back loading platform. If I leave the HV powered up, the turret on it also helps defend the ship.

Edit: 2017-02-23: Work on a blueprint for my new CV is underway. I'm trying to design for both form and function and not just make a huge brick in space like my last ship. In using the symmetry tools, I can safely say that they need work. Using angled pieces and "wall" segments freaks it out - so while one wing of my CV's engine section looks great, the opposite side is a complete mess of backwards windows and missing chunks of walls that didn't mesh. It does at least give me a baseline to work with, so it's something. As a test, I spawned my small CV in to see if I could land a CV on top of a CV, and it doesn't work. I just end up with a message about Gravity being turned off and the two CV's push each other around. This means that HV's will need to be "deployed" when I visit planets, and that my first trip to a planet should probably come complete with all the trappings to set up a defensible base to store the HV in when it's not in use. That's not a big deal, given the huge volume of Crushed Rock I have to turn into Concrete Blocks. I imagine these outposts will be modest affairs with a single hangar, SV landing pad, and maybe two defense turrets and an observation tower.

I did engage in a little "piracy" - but that amounts to attacking undefended cargo freighters and stripping them for parts. Since there's no way for your SV to equip a turret, this means getting a CV in close with one and setting the turret to attack Cores only. Then it drills straight through the enemy ship to the core and shuts the whole thing down. Once disabled, you've got 30 minutes to claim anything you can before it detonates. The detonation is spectacular, with the dead ship suddenly winking out of existence. :P
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I saw that update hit a few days back but just don't have time. Make no mistake, it's a big one and a good leap forward.
Black Lives Matter

tgb

Post by tgb »

I finally picked it up on sale and have run into a bug in the tutorial I can't get past. I'm supposed to gather 40 units of copper, but no matter how much I gather the inventory is stuck at 38. I posted this on the Steam forum, but with all the activity it dropped off the front page too quickly for anyone to see it. Hell, I can't even find my post again myself.

Anyone have any ideas?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

tgb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pmAnyone have any ideas?
I believe that every Tutorial item has a checkbox that can be manually overridden by clicking it and accepting a warning. This lets you skip the tutorial all together, or force-bypass anything that's bugged.

I picked this up again last night to see how it's doing. I already had 112 hours logged into this before I started again this time.

Renewed first impressions:
  • Visually, it's prettier than the last time I was there. Water and land textures have been improved - and it looks like there's more tile sets for base building options.
  • I'm still re-learning the controls, but more options and info have been littered into the UI. The info screens let you easily manage the systems in your base/ship while you're in it.
  • While the world got a facelift, the MOBs didn't. They're still pretty low-poly with stiff "placeholder" quality animations.
  • I've encountered far more numerous aggressive wildlife, which has made the early game not just harder, but frustrating. I can't get to the nearest deposit of ore needed to make batteries to run my base because every trip ends with me running home with a wagon train of relentless, poisonous hostiles on my butt.
  • Being poisoned seems to be a slow death sentence now unless you have an antidote.
  • They've added some ramshackle structures you can use as quick bases when you start. These are nice, basic safe-havens with minimal amenities and help you out tremendously before you build your own base.
  • Early combat amounts to kiting hostile wildlife or running home and shooting at them while standing on a wall so they can't reach you. I'm very close to advanced combat, where I'll have an HV to stand on and shoot them safely from.
  • Mining has been simplified with the addition of "ore balls" that are visible to you using an Ore Scanner. No more scraping the walls of a giant cavern for Iron - now you know where the iron deposits are exactly and can clear the vein easily.
  • I have not had a chance to use Mining Lasers, a Mining HV attachment, or the new Auto-Miner.
  • I encountered an adorable bug where I jumped off a mountain at speed on my motorcycle and fell through the world, rubber-banding as I went. When I got off, though, I was back on the surface and my bike was 60m in front of me.
  • I encountered another motorcycle bug where I deployed it while running from a Spider, and hopped on while running - leaving me performing the running animation on top of the bike as it sped across the ground. This reset when I got off.
  • I like that they seem to have good bug safeguards. Glitches so far have been inconvenient, but not lethal or disruptive.
  • I have not yet encountered a drone attack or enemy base, so I can't comment on that AI.
  • I have not gotten into space or visited another planet, so I can't comment on NPC trade or AI.
  • Items now have durability, including your armor. There is a Repair terminal in my build list that I haven't touched yet.
  • Solar Panels and a Capacitor have been added, allowing a minimal base to run on Solar energy during the day.
  • Base and Ship construction work as well as they ever have and still require some finesse to make anything that doesn't look like a large Vogon brick.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

As an addendum to your list, you can now start off with various scenarios. One of them includes already having a base set, and even a bit of a storyline. You wake up and everyone else on your base is gone, and there is a strange alien artifact parked on the landing pad above your base. You then get guided to start off, and each step gets you headed out to space as your goal to meet up with your rendezvous ship. Haven't gotten too involved with this, as for some reason the performance seems to have dropped off a bit. I need to check to see if I should lower the settings, but I intend to get back into this.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Wine. The best medical supply. 75 health for some distilled berries. Berries are plentiful on Akua. Poisoned by a venom-spitting beast on an alien planet, and my antidote stock didn't touch it. The solution is to simply remain mildly inebriated until the poison passes, apparently. Glad I had a huge stock of the stuff on my ship for emergencies.

I've finally broken orbit and am exploring neighboring planets to dig up resources. These worlds have gotten more dangerous in the last year. Lots of drone patrols, whole hostile ships, hostile bases, hostile creatures. That's a big deviation from my last playthrough, where I found a few empty bases and scattered wildlife. I need to get a longer range gun to deal with them.

I don't have a CV yet, but plan to spend some time in Creative to build one without hassles and port the blueprint over to my regular game for manufacture. The first one needs to be small, agile, and able to transport a SV and HV. Maybe something a little more attractive than my last small one, but not much larger.

My first warp-capable SV was somewhat inspired by Firefly and I thought I could make a cute little ship that I could walk around in while I was on a planet. The thing handles like a whale and despite sealing every single hole, it's not airtight. It was not the magical experience I was hoping for. I was not a leaf on the wind.

My second warp-capable SV is extremely basic with all the components piled in a neat 3x2 row behind the cockpit with a metal shell over that and wings on the sides. Paint it black and it looks like a sleek stealth jet. All of the systems need to be accessed using the ship inventory screens, and there's a single sliding panel to open and recharge my O2 as needed. The most compact design possible. It's not nimble, but it does well enough to avoid enemy fire at long range. Now that I think of it, I basically made the Star Citizen 315p but without the looping wing design.
Hyena wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pmfor some reason the performance seems to have dropped off a bit. I need to check to see if I should lower the settings, but I intend to get back into this.
I did notice that they've added more visual effects. Occlusion, blur, etc. Things I always turn off because I find them distracting. They've also added different weather effects. Rain & lightning are things I've run into. My first lightning storm was on an alien planet, and I thought I was under attack until I realized there was a storm rolling through.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Been playing this again lately too.

They've really done an amazing job making the planets feel much more immersive and realistic. I also like that they gave small vessels the ability to make short jumps and made it so players could safely reach some of the closer planets without building a capital ship. Makes getting a warp capable small vessel a good early goal, but still left an incentive to move up to a capital ship as soon as you can.

The new mining changes are good as well. Seems like it makes it easier to build up a large supply of resources now, but mineral deposits are much easier to mine out.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Agreed on the mining. I like that ore comes in nodes now, but I've had a few ore veins that were strange to chase around and I ended up deep inside the earth, having to dig my way out by making little jumping pads up the sheer walls I carved out.

I spent last night cleaning up my base and rebuilding it in a deliberate manner instead of a piecemeal fashion, then took off into space and jumped to an ice planet that I explored for a while until I found an Excavation Site. While I was in there, a Patrol Ship came along and started hammering my unarmed and unarmored puddle jumper. Thinking "Nonononononono!" in my head, I rushed out, hopped in, and took off - then lolled sideways, flipped, and crashed upside-down. Then I died.

Every attempt to respawn and salvage my ship parts ended in death. Every attempt to reclaim my backpack so I could try and do anything ended in death. My only option was to return to my last save. From the beginning of the evening.

:grund:

Always save before lifting off to explore distant worlds.

I don't even know how I'd adequately fight that thing with a CV unless it was bristling with guns and had a dozen layers of armor over the core. It had dual plasma guns that killed me in one shot, and about a dozen miniguns around the exterior. I may have to bring enough stuff to build a forward defense base and bury the core deep underground, and then kite that monster back there.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm Agreed on the mining. I like that ore comes in nodes now, but I've had a few ore veins that were strange to chase around and I ended up deep inside the earth, having to dig my way out by making little jumping pads up the sheer walls I carved out.
That's how I did it until I watched Quill18's new let's play and found out you can mine with your drone. Makes it a TON easier to mine when you can just zip it out of the hole once you clear everything out.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm I spent last night cleaning up my base and rebuilding it in a deliberate manner instead of a piecemeal fashion, then took off into space and jumped to an ice planet that I explored for a while until I found an Excavation Site. While I was in there, a Patrol Ship came along and started hammering my unarmed and unarmored puddle jumper. Thinking "Nonononononono!" in my head, I rushed out, hopped in, and took off - then lolled sideways, flipped, and crashed upside-down. Then I died.

Every attempt to respawn and salvage my ship parts ended in death. Every attempt to reclaim my backpack so I could try and do anything ended in death. My only option was to return to my last save. From the beginning of the evening.

:grund:

Always save before lifting off to explore distant worlds.
Haha, yeah, I learned that hard lesson a few times. Even a "safe" run up to the moon can end badly if you're not paying attention.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm I don't even know how I'd adequately fight that thing with a CV unless it was bristling with guns and had a dozen layers of armor over the core. It had dual plasma guns that killed me in one shot, and about a dozen miniguns around the exterior. I may have to bring enough stuff to build a forward defense base and bury the core deep underground, and then kite that monster back there.
I saved my game off once and engaged that with my SV and surprisingly did just fine. The way it's designed it's heavy guns can only hit stuff on the ground underneath it, and it's gatling guns have relatively poor line of sight, so I was able to sit a little above and behind it, close enough that I could take out the turrets as they started shooting at me, and systematically take out it's engines.

I think I would have been able to bring it down and board it if I had rockets to do a little more damage to it's hull, but at the time all I had was gatling guns which ran out of ammo before I could puncture it's hull. I did try to land on it and board, but my ship just passed through it when I tried.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My poor interplanetary jet isn't even armed. When I want to kill a Drone, I get out and hide behind a ridge or asteroid and snipe it with my Advanced Assault Rifle or Sniper Rifle, ducking back down to avoid fire. It was a sad, pathetic fight last night. In hindsight, comical. Cargo poured out of my hull like a pinata as it hammered me and when it finally killed the core, the whole ship went dead and flopped to the ground like a dead goose. The ship was never designed to be hit from the side and only uses half-steel plates to cover internals.

I've been hunting for a couple nights now to pick up a final Flux Coil so I can make an Advanced Constructor and move up in the world. Part of exploring other worlds is hoping to find just that.

Drone mining? I'll have to try that. It might call for me to re-make a HV that I can stand inside of safely and remote-control the drone. I know mining with the HV is comically bad, even with 6 drill bits on the thing. Flop-crash-slip-flip-stagger-flop. I haven't tried the Auto-Miner yet, since it needs the Advanced Constructor, but I'll wager it's not as fast as doing it yourself. Bonus, too, I can have a Turret guard my HV.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm I've been hunting for a couple nights now to pick up a final Flux Coil so I can make an Advanced Constructor and move up in the world. Part of exploring other worlds is hoping to find just that.
If you start on Akua there are 2 other planets in jump range of a SV, and one of them had the resource I needed to build an advanced constructor, although I can't remember what mineral that was. A lot of times the good mineral are guarded by drones and bases though, so you might think about at least equipping your SV with some guns. They can take out drones with almost no risk.
Paingod wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 pm Drone mining? I'll have to try that. It might call for me to re-make a HV that I can stand inside of safely and remote-control the drone. I know mining with the HV is comically bad, even with 6 drill bits on the thing. Flop-crash-slip-flip-stagger-flop. I haven't tried the Auto-Miner yet, since it needs the Advanced Constructor, but I'll wager it's not as fast as doing it yourself. Bonus, too, I can have a Turret guard my HV.
Yeah, that's exactly how I mine on hazardous planets... sit in the back of my shuttle and send the drone out to do the dirty work. Once I build a capital ship I'll probably load up an HV and use it like you mentioned... as a mobile turret to protect me as I mine.

I tried setting up and autominer, but yeah, they are pretty slow. The advantage I think is you can just leave them for a while and come back for ore later, but it seemed faster on the whole to just mine it manually.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I've put 50+ hours into this game each of the last three years. Not bad for early access!

Those gigantic patrol ships can be killed. I started on Omicron last time (about 5 months ago) and was able to take out the patrol ship by blasting away the back cargo door and firing rockets repeatedly into the interior. Trying to kill it any other way is a huge exercise in frustration, as you can riddle the sucker with holes and never really harm it.

The autominers are great, but should be used as a supplement to one's own manual mining, not a replacement. Just stop by every few days and load up on resources!

There is a key you can hit while mining in an HV that levels your ship and makes mining much easier (though still tricky). I'm not sure what key it is off the top of my head, but it might be "O". :P

Omicron's moon had changed dramatically since my last playthrough. Instead of a barren moon like before, it was instead covered with strange plants and giant mushrooms. Once I got out of my SV to mine, a huge alien I had not previously encountered came running out of the darkness and nearly made me shit my pants!

This game is really promising, but I have some concerns as to whether it will truly ever be finished. Their inability to get rid of the barriers around the poles on every planet after all these years is troubling...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm...you might think about at least equipping your SV with some guns. They can take out drones with almost no risk.
I caved in and added a Gattling Gun to a space under my cockpit I reserved for a weapon slot. I flew back to the ice planet and pretty easily neutered the Patrol Ship, stripping off the plasma guns and point defense guns by flying over it. I couldn't really kill it, though, and it persisted in following me like a lost skywhale after that. I was going to wait until I could slide a Railgun into that weapon slot, but the Gattling seems to hold it's own for now. Added bonus, great for hunting wildlife and harvesting meat. I should have done this to begin with. I can sterilize a landing area before I get out to harvest or mine now.

I'm also kicking myself for forgetting about the personal drone, and for never knowing it can be used to build and mine. Complete game changer. I went from hopping around like a loon trying to make buildings, to standing still and flying around with ease while I build. The drone has a pretty useful range, around something like 100 meters. That should be enough to mine out even the deepest ore veins I've found so far.
Apollo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pmThis game is really promising, but I have some concerns as to whether it will truly ever be finished. Their inability to get rid of the barriers around the poles on every planet after all these years is troubling...
In their last user poll, getting rid of those barriers was an option for prioritizing, but not one I selected as the barriers don't bother me too much. I worry that whatever they have to do to remove them is going to mean a complete overhaul to how worlds are generated and built, which has rippling effects on how everything interacts with them.
Black Lives Matter

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In conjunction with a massive new update to the game, it's also on sale for 50% off. For anyone that likes Solo/MP survival games, this is one of the best out there even before this update, and it's and a steal now at $10.

New update adds some great new improvements: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alph ... now.38185/

Among other things:
- The force fields at the poles are now gone
- Terrain for all planets is procedurally generated again
- Planets can now be ~64x larger than the previous maximum planet size
- Greater biome diversity
- Added fog of war to planet maps
- Voxel mining and subterranean layers are back
- New Planet and Solar system editor
- Better ground AI
- Improved terrain textures and improved rendering
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just upload your pics to a hosting site such as tinypic.com and then link them here.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thing is Sepiche, they seem to have gotten rid of the tutorial which is puzzling to say the least.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:45 pm Thing is Sepiche, they seem to have gotten rid of the tutorial which is puzzling to say the least.
If you start a new, random survival game there should be a mission that pops up right after you crash. It's not quite a tutorial, but if you follow that it will guide you through the early survival process. It doesn't cover things in great detail, but it, along with the pop ups you'll see, will help you survive and point you in the right direction to progress.

You can also hit 'F1' and then click 'Empyriopedia' in the upper left to see a series of articles that include tips and explanations of various game mechanics. You might also need to click 'PDA Info' in the upper right to see the articles.

I'm still exploring some of the new mechanics, but I'd also be happy to answer any other questions you might have. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got excited about the 50% off till I saw that it was still in Early Access. So, how does this compare to No Man's Sky? I bought that after it had been patched for awhile and still didn't like it. Is Empyrion more fun?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am ...
Apollo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pmThis game is really promising, but I have some concerns as to whether it will truly ever be finished. Their inability to get rid of the barriers around the poles on every planet after all these years is troubling...
In their last user poll, getting rid of those barriers was an option for prioritizing, but not one I selected as the barriers don't bother me too much. I worry that whatever they have to do to remove them is going to mean a complete overhaul to how worlds are generated and built, which has rippling effects on how everything interacts with them.
Precisely my point. It would seem that the longer they wait, the harder it will be to get rid of the red and green walls. And whether one minds their existence or not, it's the sort of thing that would stand out like a sore thumb in a finished game, which made me wonder if they were still planning to actually release a finished version.

Of course now that Alpha 8 is out and the walls are gone I'm starting to get excited, especially after seeing the new terrain. And the "Repair to Blueprint" function is going to be huge. I'm thinking about starting a new game to try out the new improvements, but I really need to stop playing until the game is released. They have been updating the game on a very regular basis and I think we might just see a Beta version sometime in the next year, though that's just idle speculation on my part.

According to Steam I already have 280+ hours in Empyrion, far more than I've put in most of the AAA titles that I've loved in the past. Just imagine when it's finally finished! :P
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Dont know about galactic survival, but on a whim i got the game after seeing this thread. And i got to say, one of the best buys as of recently.... has nothing to do with galactic survival. I love the relaxing energy and ambiance on the planet, it is so chill, as if i am camping. I just spent first 30 min just chilling.... so ya, i have no idea if the galactic survival will ever come about but it is best 10$ i spent in long time :horse:

I think i will just be logging in to enjoy the outdoors scenery, not much of that in NYC.

I actually didnt realize that there is no other game i seen, where it just chill, ambience, outdoors, just walking. There should be game just for that.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Matrix wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 pmI think i will just be logging in to enjoy the outdoors scenery, not much of that in NYC.

I actually didnt realize that there is no other game i seen, where it just chill, ambience, outdoors, just walking. There should be game just for that.
I don't log into this one to chill... I usually get chased around by giant insects and drones. It prevents a lot of chilling. :D

The best chilling experience I've had is Subnautica. Once you get set up in a small base with a few plants, food and water become moot issues. If you know where to go, you can get this done in the first hour. I'd often build observatory structures or windows in each base just so I could sit and enjoy the aquatic scenery. I always found it a relaxing contrast to the tension of being out in the open water, unsure when a leviathan would attack.
Black Lives Matter

Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Lol i must have gotten lucky with a planet, just saw few dinosur looking things that are habrivours.

Hmmm, i heard of the Subnatica, might give it a shot as well... When its on next sale :)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

For a "chill" type game I'd recommend The Witness. You can ignore the puzzles (once you get out of the initial courtyard) and just walk around and relax and enjoy the various biome scenery.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Matrix wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 amHmmm, i heard of the Subnatica, might give it a shot as well... When its on next sale :)
If you're looking for 'Chill Only' Subnautica might not be it. There's a lot of stress and fighting, and you'll have to fight and explore before you can get to a point where you feel free to relax as much as you want.
Black Lives Matter

Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 am
Matrix wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 amHmmm, i heard of the Subnatica, might give it a shot as well... When its on next sale :)
If you're looking for 'Chill Only' Subnautica might not be it. There's a lot of stress and fighting, and you'll have to fight and explore before you can get to a point where you feel free to relax as much as you want.
I like some activity now and then, i might get the witness as well. though just looked at it and graphic is a bit too cartoony and i am not much into puzzles. I think the Empyrion and Subnautica with more action game play, that can be intertwined with relaxed atmosphere should be good.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My vote is for Subnautica as well, it was the first game I thought of when the subject was mentioned. Portal Knights is pretty chill too. I hope to get to Empyrion today.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played this last night, and really enjoying the changes in the new update. The new random planets and biomes are amazing compared to what they were when this game first came out.

Took me a bit to get used to the new changes to the starting situation, but before I hopped off for the night I had a base started and had just gotten it powered up and armed with a defensive cannon.

A few tips on the new start:
1) Be sure to follow the starting mission as soon as you can to the wreck it points out. You should not only find a better constructor in the wreck, but also a motorcycle, and nearby should be a some mineral nodes. I got lucky with mine I think and I've found deposits of everything I need.
2) Once you get the items from the wreck, the next thing you need to progress is a handful of iron, silicon, copper, and plant fiber
3) You can use your survival tool on rocks by right clicking and using the mine rock option
4) Some of the colored rocks will give you actual ore, but in addition to that you can convert crushed stone to any of the basic ores in your new constructor
5) That will give you what you need to build a drill and chainsaw, but to use them you'll need to get plant fiber to convert to biofuel to power them, and the only way to get plant fiber without a chainsaw is by looking for small, brown thorny plants that give plant fiber. It took me 30 minutes or so of driving and walking around looking before I found the 10 I needed to make biofuel *this was by far the most frustrating part of the new start*
6) Once you get that first biofuel, load it into the *chainsaw* and use that to cut down trees. Then you can convert those trees -> plant fiber -> more biofuel. As long as you don't let your chainsaw run out, you shouldn't run out of fuel again
7) Next use the biofuel in the drill and go mine some of the resource nodes around the wreck. They've consolidated the basic resources now, so you only need copper, iron, and silicon
8) Once you have a surplus of those resources you should have everything you need to build a base. Start with a base core and place that, and you should have a lot of crushed stone you can use to make a base of concrete, or if you don't mind grinding a little you can make it out of steel blocks
9) You should add a larger constructor to your base as soon as you can, but know that it will require power, and once your base is powered it will attract drone attacks. The first things you should build with your new constructor are a cannon, 30mm ammo for it, and an ammo crate
10) Once you've placed your generator, fuel tank, and filled the fuel tank, look at the ground of your base and hit 'y' to power it on/off.

More random tips:
1) Your starting survival tool has a defensive shot, but it's weak and drains your stamina. If you are in dangerous territory be careful running as that can drain your stamina and give you none to fight any threats
2) The main threat early on is swarms of spiders (at least where I'm at). They can be mean, but just backing away and shooting them works slowly, and once you get the motorcycle it's pretty easy to escape them
3) Look carefully at any plant that seems to stand out, a lot of them can be harvested with 'F' to give you useful resources
4) You now start with a tent and can camp once it's night until morning. Very helpful since it's dangerous and hard to get around at night
5) Note that promethium is now mostly found in small radioactive biomes, and since you no longer start with a environment suit, you'll need to build a base, an armor rack, and a light armor suit before you'll be able to safely go into rad zones and mine promethium
Last edited by Sepiche on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

We need thumbs up or upvotes on this forum!!! Thanks Sepiche!
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am We need thumbs up or upvotes on this forum!!! Thanks Sepiche!
Agreed. It's been a while since I played, and those changes sound awesome.

I've already got 180 hours in this one and apparently need to pour a little more in now... :D
Black Lives Matter

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll be buying this when I get home from work today. Have any of you played MP?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am I'll be buying this when I get home from work today. Have any of you played MP?
Only briefly a few alphas ago when it was only half working. Seems like they have it fully integrated now along with support for custom factions.
Lorini wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 am We need thumbs up or upvotes on this forum!!! Thanks Sepiche!
Happy to help!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

For anyone planning to jump in - remember this is an Early Release, and an "Alpha" at that. Still a very functional, content-laden game - but the game isn't done yet. While every update has been positive, that doesn't mean it'll stay that way.

I've still logged and enjoyed 180 hours... so I consider it a good gaming investment. I also happen to love space games, survival, and building.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

So I got to the main wreck, it said to make a drill, I don't have the components to make a drill, now what? I put the portable constructor down.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm So I got to the main wreck, it said to make a drill, I don't have the components to make a drill, now what? I put the portable constructor down.
You're at about step 2 above, and 3 and 4 should point you in the right direction.

You can use the survival tool that it should have instructed you to build to mine rocks that you'll find scattered around by right clicking when you have it equipped and selecting the rock mining function, then holding left mouse while pointed at rocks.

You'll see standard stone rocks that will give you crushed stone you can use to get other ores by putting it in your constructor, and you can also find rocks that contain the 3 ores you need: iron, copper, silicon.

Put those ore in the constructor and things should light up that you have enough to construct. You don't need to worry about components as if you just click on the drill to manufacture it, it will make everything you need from the raw materials automatically.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sigh I missed number 3 :shock: Onward!
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am ...

5) That will give you what you need to build a drill and chainsaw, but to use them you'll need to get plant fiber to convert to biofuel to power them, and the only way to get plant fiber without a chainsaw is by looking for small, brown thorny plants that give plant fiber. It took me 30 minutes or so of driving and walking around looking before I found the 10 I needed to make biofuel *this was by far the most frustrating part of the new start*
Excellent list, but I just wanted to point out that the starter tool can be used to gather wood (and thus plant fiber) from the very beginning. You have to use it in "Defense Mode" to actually harvest the wood, so it's not exactly intuitive.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Apollo wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:18 pm
Sepiche wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am ...

Excellent list, but I just wanted to point out that the starter tool can be used to gather wood (and thus plant fiber) from the very beginning. You have to use it in "Defense Mode" to actually harvest the wood, so it's not exactly intuitive.
Ah, good to know. I swear I tried that at some point, but it didn't seem to be effective.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Congratulations, you're infected with a dermal parasite!

What's that? No cure? No Problem! We'll upgrade it to an Endo Parasite, free of charge and as an added bonus, infect the wound.

Day 1: Dear diary, I got scratched by an alien monster and consumed from the inside out by parasites. On the bright side, I did enjoy the countryside for a while before I died screaming.
Black Lives Matter