Lawbreakers [CliffyB] [UTInAllButName]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Lawbreakers [CliffyB] [UTInAllButName]

Post by Zaxxon »

Back in late 2012 CliffyB left Epic after getting tired of the Gears of War crap. Word was he wanted to get back to 'his style' of shooter. He went quiet for a couple years, then announced that he was starting a new studio.

Earlier this week Boss Key released a teaser for the new game, Lawbreakers. I thought it was meh.

Then today they released a gameplay video. It's basically a modern Unreal Tournament. Coming 2016.

Want.
ColdSteel

Re: Lawbreakers [CliffyB] [UTInAllButName]

Post by ColdSteel »

I loved Unreal Tournament to death but CliffyB is a total asshat and I thought his map designs were the weakest of all the Epic map makers. I'm actually hoping that the community based UT remake going on right now turns out really well and is more like the original UT than the later year versions. At least it has no CliffyB involvement, so it does have that going for it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Asshat or not, he was a (some would argue the) key to those early UT games being what they were. I'm willing to see how this one plays out. I also have hopes for the actual UT being developed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Here's hoping. I haven't been able to get into any competitive MPFPSs since TF2. Of course that could be TF2's fault since I haven't really felt the need to play anything else since it came out.

But I'd give a modern take on UT a shot for sure.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ColdSteel wrote:I lI'm actually hoping that the community based UT remake going on right now turns out really well and is more like the original UT than the later year versions.
which project are you referring to? i know that Open Tournament was canceled.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I wish I had even the base level of skill needed to enjoy something like this. I used to love the original UT back in the day, but haven't been able to keep up in any FPS I've played since then.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

hitbyambulance wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:I lI'm actually hoping that the community based UT remake going on right now turns out really well and is more like the original UT than the later year versions.
which project are you referring to? i know that Open Tournament was canceled.
The official, Epic sponsored reboot. There's a public build if you want to try out what they've done so far.
https://www.unrealtournament.com/blog

Edit: Also, Interesting Gamasutra article from earlier this month
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Beta and PAX are Happening!

Closed Beta Signups (upper right corner)

Image <---- Cliffy B (2:49M)

Closed Beta

Don’t live in Boston and/or your mechanized flight suit is in the shop? Don't worry, you'll have a chance to play too. Closed Beta starts on Steam the Thursday after PAX ends and runs 24 hours a day through Sunday.

Closed Beta #1 Begins
Thursday March 16th
9am PT/ Noon ET / 4pm UTC

Closed Beta #1 Ends
Sunday March 19th
9pm PT / Midnight ET / 4am UTC

Don’t have a Beta key? Sign up on this page (look in the upper right corner for the subtle “Sign Up For Beta” button) and we’ll hook you up a couple days before the tests begin through email.

Already have a key from Alpha? You’re all set. Just wait for our email on when you can download the Closed Beta build in advance of the 16th so you can be ready to play when the servers open up.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. CliffyB is all grown up. I remember when he was a young CliffyB :) He reminded me a little of Todd Howard.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Post by KDH »

Daehawk wrote: .... I remember when he was a young CliffyB ...
I remember when PC Gamer named him a Gaming God ... along with all those other Gaming Gods. What were their names? .. well, I just remember Stevie Case was on the list .. I shudder when I recall all the memorable games she developed. Good times.

:wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have one and only ONE closed beta key to Lawbreakers if anyone is interested. First PM gets it. Ill check tomorrow when I wake up around noon or so. Next closed beta session is May 18th - May 21
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

KDH wrote:
Daehawk wrote: .... I remember when he was a young CliffyB ...
I remember when PC Gamer named him a Gaming God ... along with all those other Gaming Gods. What were their names? .. well, I just remember Stevie Case was on the list .. I shudder when I recall all the memorable games she developed. Good times.

:wink:
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Every time I see this thread, I think "Urinary Tract Infection." I remember that PC Gamer issue. That is pure comedy gold.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

code gone
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... Boss-Key Studios moves on from supporting Lawbreakers
April 2018 Studio Statement ... April 5, 2018

... So here is the very real truth, which may not come as a surprise.

The fact is LawBreakers failed to find enough of an audience to generate the funds necessary to keep it sustained in the manner we had originally planned for and anticipated. And while a pivot to free-to-play may seem like easiest change to make, a change of this magnitude takes publishing planning and resources to do it.

The team here has worked hard on this game over the past three and a half years and our studio is determined to give this game the second life it deserves. However, between now and then, we cannot sit idle. We will continue to support the game in its current state, but we also need to focus on other projects with fresh creative leaders. We have been working on something new and we can’t wait to share more about it! It’s a passion project that we’re in complete control of.

Thank you for your ongoing understanding and patience.

Boss Key Productions
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bummer. Although I never bought it, so I guess I'm part of the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

That must have been quite a kick in the teeth for them .. 3.5 years of development time and almost zero return/longevity. ... From what I understand Blizzard's Overwatch was cobbled together from the assets of a canceled project (Titan MMO) and, given Blizzard's usual secrecy, probably popped onto the public radar out of nowhere just before LawBreakers
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried the Lawbreakers beta....for 2 or 3 nights. Nope.
KDH

Post by KDH »

.... And .... Boss-Key is back

It's been, what? .. a couple days?
Spoiler:
. ... The comments under the video aren't kind
... From Blues:
Boss Key Productions announces Radical Heights, a free-to-play battle royale game they will self-publish through "X-Treme" Early Access on Steam tomorrow, a quick payoff on their recent mention of their upcoming passion project. Here's a trailer showing off the game in all it's radicalness, and here's the announcement, which does not mention the role of studio founder Cliff Bleszinski in this project's development:
WELCOME TO THE BATTLE ROYALE WITH CHEESE. Today Boss Key Productions announces Radical Heights, a new free-to-play game the studio will self-publish on STEAM in “X-TREME” Early Access on April 10. In Radical Heights, shooting skills matter for survival, but also the search for prizes and cash players can collect to spend on weapons and items. Take the cash you find with you from match to match and use it how you see fit. It’s a scavenger hunt survival shooter where cash is king​.

“This is a five month passion project for the studio as we’re creating and publishing the game entirely by ourselves,” said Zach Lowery, Radical Heights Creative Director. “We’re huge fans of Battle Royale games along with the bright, inviting irreverence of the 80’s aesthetic. Because of that, we want to put our own spin on the genre and create a futuristic 80’s world that takes place in 2023 during an over-the-top game show where contestants battle it out for fame and prizes”.

Aside from the bodacious gunplay and ability to pull off some awesome BMX tricks, the game features:

Play for Free: ​Jump into Radical Heights and just play! You don’t need to worry about having your gameplay experience sullied by pay-to-win mechanics. All of Radical Height’s bodacious items are cosmetic only, with no gameplay advantages!

Dynamic Game Show Moments: ​Spin the wheel! Open that prize door! Go for a cash-grab! Or… wait until another contestant does, take aim and fire away to snag all the cash & prizes for yourself. Each game of Radical Heights is completely different, as unique Game Show moments occur at random. Take a chance - it might just pay off.
Cash is King:​ Only in Radical Heights does in-game cash you find carry over into future matches. Play matches, collect cash, kill contestants, interact with game show elements and more to buy cosmetics from your personal prize room, or put some of that sweet cash in your bank to help buy a weapon next match quicker than your opponents. The choice is yours.

...Those Wonderful Toys!: ​Time to get creative. Employ the use of ridiculous gadgets to get the edge on other contestants, ranging from workout trampolines to confetti bombs, inflatable decoys to remote explosives and more. Now that’s entertainment!

Survive & Thrive: ​The more you play, the more cash you get and the more FAMOUS you become. Spend that cash on hundreds of items and unlockables you’ll find in the world of Radical Heights, from pink fishnet gloves to parachute pants, custom kill-cards and more. Explore each game, find ‘em, add them to your prize room and then customize to your heart’s content.

Help Develop The Game!: ​In “X-TREME” Early Access, you shape the future of Radical Heights. With ongoing content updates, patches and real-time feedback implementation, the community helps guide development decisions during the game’s journey to a future release.

Radical Heights is the FREE PVP Early Access scavenger hunt survival shooter. Partake in high-stakes battle royale gunplay in a sunny SoCal dome as contestants drive-by on a BMX bikes or stalk other contestants from the shadows in search for weapons and prizes...but also CASH ​that you can bank - win or lose! Whether they spend that cash on righteous customization in your personal prize room or pull it from an ATM to purchase weapons early in the next game -- building a wealth of cash is as important as taking down the competition in this irreverent 80’s action game show where everyone wants to be rich and famous.

Players can watch the reveal trailer right here. Radical Heights will launch on STEAM in “X-Treme” Early Access April 10. The title is free-to-play with no gameplay-altering microtransactions. Players can purchase RAD GEMS with real currency to buy in-game cosmetics, or collect in-game cash to purchase when found in the game world. Founder’s Packs of the game will also be available for those who want exclusive items and bonuses not available anywhere else for $14.9
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The style the look the sound and the promotion almost make me sick. But Ill try anything free...well almost anything. I bet I hate it.

I did own mag wheels just like those in the video on my BMX bike in the 80s.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... As of today, Boss Key Productions is effectively no more.

. Boss Key Closed

A tweet from Cliff Bleszinski announces that Boss Key Studios has come to the end of the line. He notes that Radical Heights gained more traction than the unsuccessful LawBreakers, but that the battle royale game too late to save to company, though he does say that the Radical Heights servers will remain online for the time being. Here's the post, in which he thanks supporters, and says he needs to take a break from the business:
As of today, Boss Key Productions is effectively no more.

Four years ago I set out to make a world class video game studio and I hired some of the best talent in the videogame industry. They worked tirelessly to produce quality products and, while we had our ups and downs, I'd like to think we had fun doing it. LawBreakers was a great game that unfortunately failed to gain traction, and, in a last ditch effort we scrambled to do our own take on the huge battle royale genre with Radical Heights which was well received, however, it was a little too late.

As for myself, I'm going to take some time off and reflect. I need to focus on myself and family as well as my Aussie, Teddy, who is slowly fading from us. Videogames will forever be a part of who I am and I hope to make something new again someday, however, I need to withdraw and take this time.

To those who have supported myself and the studio these last for years, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart and everyone who came to work for me.
Please note that the servers for Radical Heights will remain up for the near future.

Thanks again,

Cliff