Far Cry: Primal

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Far Cry: Primal

Post by Blackhawk »

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Re: Far Cry: Primal

Post by Sepiche »

Meh. I'll wait and see how it develops, but it sounds like they're taking Far Cry and removing everything but the hunting and crafting... which, beautiful graphics aside, sounds really boring.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I remember the history of Far Cry correctly, the idea for the first game was built around an tropical island filled with dinosaurs, so this makes sense -- particularly with all the hunting and crafting in #3 (I haven't played 4 yet).

I really have enjoyed all the Fall Cry games (even #2), so assuming my rig will run it, I'm down.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:If I remember the history of Far Cry correctly, the idea for the first game was built around an tropical island filled with dinosaurs
X-Isle - Dinosaur Island. You can still download the tech demo and wander around in it.

I don't see anything to indicate that they're removing everything. I could see the guns being replaced by thrown spears, slings, atl-atls, and a variety of bows, the radio towers replaced with temples or massive trees, etc. Who knows? The trailer just gives us a feel for the setting, not the gameplay.

Personally, I think it is a smart move. Far Cry 2, 3, and 4 were essentially the same game with a few mechanical tweaks and a skin change. Another sequential modern shooter with the base mechanics would likely cause brand fatigue. I'm playing FC4 now, after having finished FC3 last year, and Blood Dragon earlier this year. The story is good enough that I'm not getting that 'more of the same' feeling, but I can feel it over in the corner, watching me. Far Cry 5 would probably make it come and plop in my lap.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some more info released:
Far Cry Primal takes you back to the Stone Age when man was definitely not at the top of the food chain. Danger lurked around every corner during the daytime, and nighttime brought a fresh set of terrors. It is in the untamed land of Oros that you meet Takkar, the sole survivor of an ambush on his hunting group. Now on his own in a treacherous world, Takkar will face massive mammoths, savage sabretooth tigers, hostile bands of rival hunters, and countless other threats as he attempts to re-unite his lost tribe.

Like any good hunter, Takkar carries an extensive set of survival skills, including the ability to craft tools and weapons from the bones of the beasts he slays and the resources he gathers in the wild. These are not only crucial for his own safety against predators (both human and animal), they’re also essential in maintaining the safety of his tribe. Takkar will need to guard his fledgling group carefully to ensure its survival and growth.

Like every Far Cry before it, Far Cry Primal takes place in a massive open world, and Takkar’s adventure will take him through a number of landscapes, ranging from swamps to redwood cedar forests, and when nightfall comes to Oros, fire may be the only thing standing between Takkar and a particularly sharp set of teeth or the jagged tip of a spear. The use of fire is perhaps just as important, if not more important, than the weapons Takkar crafts. In addition to using it for protection at night, he can use it for additional tactical options when assaulting beasts or infiltrating enemy outposts.

It’s these kinds of moments that will generate unique and unexpected experiences – a hallmark of the Far Cry series – for players as they fight to survive alone in the Stone Age wilderness.
Spring of '16
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

First skill I'll pick in this one is the "stone age McGyver" so that I can build the hang glider!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So it's the spiritual successor of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter...? :|
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My first instinct was - great, this is all the stuff I hated in Far Cry 4: crafting, using a bow, and fighting wild animals!

However, the more I read about it the more I agree it's a great idea. They needed a change of pace after 3 & 4, and I think going into the past vs doing some generic "near future" thing gives them a lot more creativity to do something unique.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:So it's the spiritual successor of Turk: Dinosaur Hunter...? :|

:?:
AjD

Post by AjD »

Anyone hear how much this is going to cost? Thirty bucks or less?

My initial take is that this is NOT a full, new Far Cry game. It's basically Far Cry: Blood Dragon 2. What I mean by that is... Ubisoft Montreal made a bunch of extra money with Blood Dragon by re-skinning Far Cry 3 and grafting on a new look/story/genre without putting significant development resources towards it.

Now, IMHO, Blood Dragon was actually a pretty inspired move. But I fear what's happening here is they have now institutionalized the approach. That is, they release a new Far Cry game (expensive with lots of development time), then x months later release a glorified expansion pack (cheap, much less development time) with a new look/feel/setting to keep the money flowing. This is that.

Hopefully, the inspiration is still there and it's not primarily a business move. Blood Dragon was great, but lightning doesn't always strike twice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sounds kind of like a single player, story-driven version of Ark: Survival Evolved (minus the high tech crap that ARK includes at the high end of the tech tree). I'm in for that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Yes, I knew that, but Turks fighting dinosaurs sounded much more fun.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic wrote:Sounds kind of like a single player, story-driven version of Ark: Survival Evolved (minus the high tech crap that ARK includes at the high end of the tech tree). I'm in for that.
No animal capture/training which is a big attraction of Ark which is a huge difference, and no Dino's either.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

But which of the characters in the trailer is related to the American surfer dude, who is also the Chosen One?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Yes, I knew that, but Turks fighting dinosaurs sounded much more fun.
I look forward to reading your script. :pop:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Act 3 introduces the Ottoman Vampire!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Can't wait. Course, I'm a sucker for any Far Cry game.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Grifman wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Sounds kind of like a single player, story-driven version of Ark: Survival Evolved (minus the high tech crap that ARK includes at the high end of the tech tree). I'm in for that.
No animal capture/training which is a big attraction of Ark which is a huge difference, and no Dino's either.
I'll invoke the "kind of like" clause here. I hadn't watched the video when I commented and the Turkish empire talks threw me off. Yeah, that's it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I also thought of ARK but as in another survival game that the market seems obsessed with.
Now on his own in a treacherous world, Takkar will face massive mammoths, savage sabretooth tigers,
blah blah blah. Yay Im alone..again. Why cant I have my other hunters with me so I can use them like in Republic Commando? give me some AI I can tell what to do and help me out with traps and fighting and foraging.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: give me some AI I can tell what to do and help me out with traps and fighting and foraging.
Developers have shown time and again that it's really hard to create useful AI. In many cases I'd rather do it myself than watch drones fumble and run while stuck on terrain or get massacred because they don't take cover.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I actually liked Turok back in the day, except for the M-Fing jumping puzzles.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From a Tweaktown article Far Cry Primal going to be brutally violent, feature mutilation
Far Cry Primal just received its official ESRB rating. The rating itself isn't so high at only Mature, though the synopsis provides some fairly gruesome details of what to expect, and it definitely isn't something you'd want your kids or younger siblings playing. We knew it was going to be violent, but perhaps not quite up to whats being described in the synopsis.

The game will feature blood and gore, intense violence, nudity and sexual content, though the last part won't be explicit, per-se. Based on the setting itself, it makes sense to include all manner of activities that might be conducted by our ancestors, so it's not unexpected. And of course we don't know just how these graphic scenes will be depicted, but they're graphic enough to warrant the rating.

This is an action game in which players assume the role of Takkar, a nomadic hunter trying to reestablish his tribe. From a first-person perspective, players engage in missions that involve tracking/hunting animals, resource-gathering, and combat against rival tribes. Players use arrows, spears, and clubs to kill enemies in frenetic combat. Some sequences require stealth kills in which enemies are stabbed in the head or slashed close-up. One cutscene depicts a character being held in a fire while screaming; another depicts Takkar tapping a hole in another character's skull as the man screams. Some scenes depict corpses in various states of mutilation: heads and torsos on spikes; ears cut off and kept as trophies; headless bodies lying in pools of blood. Certain scenes or camera angles can depict male genitalia under garments or in shadows; some female characters are depicted topless. A handful of scenes depict characters engaged in sexual activity while clothed; grunts and short moans can be heard, though no explicit details are seen.

Far Cry Primal is set to be released on February 23rd 2016 on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the PC.
In the words of George Takei, "Oh my!"
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I thought this was more of a standalone expansion (like Blood Dragon), but all of the preorders show it at a full $60 price point.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article: Far Cry Primal will have a language created, based in reality
Far Cry Primal is going to feature a language you've probably never heard of in the game, but the best part is that it's going to be based off a real proto-European language dating back to around the Stone Age.

The developers actually went and sought out linguists who specialize in languages from around the stone-age, or proto-European languages. But oddly, what was initially presented to them was seen as too "modern" for the setting they were going for, even though the language likely actually represented spoken words from the time-period they're portraying.

The creative director, Jean-Christophe Guyot, went back to the linguistic experts and asked them to attempt to devolve the language in a logical manner so that it could more easily align with with the overall creative vision they wanted to share with Far Cry Primal. To them, they wanted something even more primitive than the languages spoken during that time-period portrayed.

Guyot told Gamesradar about their journey to linguistic success, moving first from English into their new territory. He said "So that's how we really created the language of the Wenja (the game's main tribe) and we created three variants of it, one for each tribe. The linguists, they're amazing. And they're super excited, because this is a language that has not been spoken for thousands of years. For them, it's their science, it's something that they're super attached to, so they were super enthusiastic."
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another interesting tidbit, Ubisoft confirms no co-op in Far Cry Primal
Despite the previous entry in the franchise supporting cooperative play, developer Jason Paradise confirmed via the Steam forums that Far Cry Primal will not support co-op.

Since the game’s announcement, Ubisoft has been quiet not to reveal any sort of multiplayer elements. According to Paradise, the team made “the difficult choice of focusing our efforts on the single player experience” early on in the development process.

We are focusing entirely on creating the best possible Far Cry experience for our fans. Bringing the Stone Age to life and providing players with a strong gameplay experience based off of the Far Cry legacy meant we had to reinvent our core gameplay loop. This was definitely not a small undertaking.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Official specs from Ubi:
MINIMUM

Supported OS - Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor - Intel Core i3-550 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 or equivalent
RAM - 4GB
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB VRAM) | AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1GB VRAM) or equivalent
Hard Disk Space - 20 GB
Peripherals - Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller

RECOMMENDED

Supported OS - Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent
RAM - 8GB
Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD Radeon R9 280X or equivalent
Hard Disk Space - 20 GB
Peripherals - Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller

SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT RELEASE
AMD Radeon™ HD 5770 (1 GB VRAM) or better, HD 7000 / 200 / 300 / Fury X series
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 (1 GB VRAM) or better, GTX 500 / 600 / 700 / 900 / TITAN series

Note: This product supports 64-bit operating systems only. Laptop versions of these cards may work, but are not officially supported. For the most up-to-date requirement listings, please visit the FAQ on our support website at support.ubi.com.
Seem a bit lower than I would have guessed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote:Seem a bit lower than I would have guessed.
Yeah, it's a bit surprising, but ultimately good news for more folks. I'll have to see some more previews as to whether this game is really going to be that appealing to me.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New article: How Ubisoft is Far Cry Primal? Let’s go through the checklist
Here’s what it is: I’ve played the first three hours of Far Cry Primal, and I’m neither sold on it nor ready to condemn it. The reason I’m feeling conflicted is that much of the allure of its prehistoric premise – to me at least – comes from the idea that it’ll shake up the Far Cry formula in tangible ways. It’s a time and place games haven’t explored much, and that’s intrinsically fascinating. Mammoths, for crying out loud! Prototypical indoeuropean languages! Brutal melee takedowns with rudimentary clubs!

But simultaneously, its mechanics and systems are extremely familiar to anyone who’s been keeping up with the series so far. Or, indeed, anyone who's ever played a Ubisoft open world game. I’m not going to call it a re-skin, because that’d be premature and I’d be glossing over entire systems such as animal taming and owl binoculars that Ubisoft Montreal have built. Instead I’m going to work through the tropes that have come to define the Ubisoft open world game and consider how closely Far Cry Primal adheres to them.

The Ubisoft formula, as I'm calling it, has created some fantastic games in recent years, there's no doubt about that. But it's also in danger of providing diminishing returns with each subsequent time it's deployed. So, how Ubisoft is Far Cry Primal?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

On the Green Man Gaming VIP page the game on sale for 40% off. So my first question is, why so cheap? My next question is, am I going to pre-order it anyway because it's so cheap?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

All I want to know is if there are towers for you to climb :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really torn on this one. I've played through and 100%-ed or nearly 100%ed every Far Cry game. So it's a series I really love.

On the other hand, the Ubisoft formula is starting to wear *very* thin, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that Primal breaks the mold in any meaningful way.

I think I know the answer to that dilemma, and it's "wait until it hits $25," so that's the most likely route I'll go.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

YellowKing wrote:I'm really torn on this one. I've played through and 100%-ed or nearly 100%ed every Far Cry game. So it's a series I really love.

On the other hand, the Ubisoft formula is starting to wear *very* thin, and I haven't seen anything to convince me that Primal breaks the mold in any meaningful way.

I think I know the answer to that dilemma, and it's "wait until it hits $25," so that's the most likely route I'll go.
Same
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The "How Ubisoft is it" article has taken the shine off for me, but I'm still in, if nothing but to force me to take a break from XCOM2 where I should be wrapping up my 3rd campaign when this releases next week.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We do have an advantage, in a way. The console versions release a week before the PC version, so we can see some impressions and real reviews. Hopefully GMG will keep that 40% off VIP sale price in effect.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I think the big difference from the previous ones is the "animals are weapons" mechanic. Now how different that will be is to be seen, but I look forward to playing it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:We do have an advantage, in a way. The console versions release a week before the PC version, so we can see some impressions and real reviews. Hopefully GMG will keep that 40% off VIP sale price in effect.
Didn't realize PC was a week later. Bah. I guess I can take my time with XCOM.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »