Two New Digital Board Games In Early Access

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Two New Digital Board Games In Early Access

Post by tgb »

And being a sucker for that sort of thing I bought them both. :horse:

First up is Dicetiny, which I picked up this morning. In a word, it may as well be called Hearthstone:The Board Game. Starting with a deck of cards (which you build yourself), you move your avatar around a board, fighting nasties and your ultimate target, the Foozle. Every lap earns an action point, which is the currency used to play cards that help or hinder your cause, as well as using special abilities.

I've played one game and found it kind of "meh", but it was only $4.50 (release price will be $20). It didn't seem particularly deep and wasn't much of a challenge, but it was only the first battle. I'll probably go back and play another one to see if it becomes any more interesting.

The other is by Alexey Bokulev, the man behind the great Eador:Genesis, and is called Gremlins, Inc.. It's a lot more ambitious, and so far I like it a lot more than Dicetiny, but not to the point where I wholeheartedly recommend it. It's got a cool Steampunk aesthetic and a lot of good ideas.

Up to four of the titular Gremlins race around a convoluted game board trying to capture Victory Points. The game is also card-driven, but in a much more novel way. Each card has a numerical value, and most have an effect tied to either a minor space on the board or a major Location (there can be several of the same kind of minor spaces, but the Locations are all unique). Landing on a Location allows you to play the associated card if you have it in your hand. But you also move around the board by burning cards for their numerical value, so the decision every turn is whether or not to burn a card for it's movement value, or hold onto it hoping you can take advantage of it by landing in the right spot. Aside from VP's, the other currencies in the game are Gold (many cards have a cost to use), Votes (every 20 turns there's a vote for Governor, and the title comes with several advantages), and Treachery (a lot of the effects deal with screwing over the other players, and you gain Treachery by doing so. Treachery not only makes it harder to be elected Governor, but also increased how much you have to pay in bribes).

After several attempts at playing, I was going to write it off as confusing, cluttered, and too difficult to follow what other players are doing,when I had an Aha! moment last night when everything clicked and I was able to play a game to conclusion. The learning curve is huge, not helped by a confusing playing field:

There's got to be a better way to present the game and information than this.

The game is still very much in EA. There's no single player campaign to speak of (you can play solo, but only by setting up a multiplayer game against nothing but bots), you can't save mid-game (planned for the future, according to devs), the "tutorial" is just a series of help screens (although a real one is planned ads well), and the AI is (in the developer's own words) stupid.

Still, once I figured out how to play, I enjoyed the game, but for me it's going to stand or fall on the back of the single-player experience, since no async mode is planned. The developers say the $10 price point is going to hold at release, so there's really no reason not to wait unless you just want to show support.
Last edited by tgb on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Re: Two New Digital Board Games In Early Access

Post by tgb »

I just wanted to mention that they cleaned up a lot of the interface of Gremlins, Inc, and slowed down the animation a bit so it's easier to follow. As of today's patch you can now save your single-player game, so it might be a good time to either dive in or put it on your wishlist. I can see this being a lot of fun with real people, but games can be lengthy and there are no plans for asynchronous play, so multi-player won't work for me..
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So what's the consensus on Gremlins Inc? It's on sale for $7.50.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Defiant wrote:So what's the consensus on Gremlins Inc? It's on sale for $7.50.
I haven't played it in quite a while. I should go back and see if they ever addressed the issues I had with the single player game.

I think the focus is still on multiplayer, but it's polished and original - if you enjoy digital board games at all you certainly can't go wrong at that price.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just fired up Gremlins and the single player game is vastly improved. Movement on the board by the AI is slowed down considerably, plus there's now a running log at the bottom of the screen that tells you exactly what the AI is doing. It's enough of an improvement that I can see myself playing this on a regular basis, and might even take a look at the DLC available.

In other words, at $7.50 I'd say it's now a no-brainer.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Turns out there was a stand-alone single player version of Gremlins, Inc. quietly released the other day. It's pretty much identical to the version in the original game, except the original game still requires you to be logged into the developer's servers (in Russia, I think. Look for Trump's tax returns) and this doesn't.

Anyway, it was given free to owners of the original, and I assume will continue to be included with new purchases at no charge.
tgb

Post by tgb »

And for the curious, a pretty good introduction.

If I sound as though I've done a 180 from my initial impressions of the game, it's because I have. It's much, much better than it was at roll-out.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

So I've played a solo game of Gremlins. Here's my thoughts: The tutorial was nice (and I enjoyed the humor). The theme is paper thin (even more than eurogames tend to be). And while the gameplay mechanics work, it was a challenge and was fun, I don't think it works near as well as a good eurogame's mechanics are. Also, the game is a bit too random for me, both in terms of the cards drawn/dice rolled, as well as the hectic board itself (where getting from point a to point b usually involves a convoluted path). I'll play it some more, but if it were a real life board game, I probably wouldn't bring it back to the table after one game of it.