Just Cause 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Just Cause 3

Post by jztemple2 »

It seems there's not a thread for this game yet and it releases in five days. I've pre-ordered it, based upon what I've seen in previews and how much I enjoyed JC2. I know a lot of folks might be busy with Fallout 4 or other games and so haven't thought about JC3, so I'll give it a go and post my impressions here.

It's available for pre-load right now, a whopping 38.5GBs, and download is in progress.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Reemul

Re: Just Cause 3

Post by Reemul »

Yeah it looks great, trailer below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYy1_VoVVkE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just FYI, GMG now has this for sale at 23% off.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This was just posted by the developer on the Steam JC3 new page:
Hi everyone,

We’re aware of the fact that in some territories, Just Cause 3 is available ahead of its official release, which means many of you are enjoying Rico’s latest adventure early.

While we’re glad you’re getting familiar with Medici before Tuesday, this does mean that you’re playing the unpatched version of the game, and a host of fixes and improvements will be available within the next 24 hours.

Please keep an eye out for the update on PS4, Xbox One and PC this weekend!

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
The Medician Department of Nature Conservation has pored over every inch of our beautiful island for cracks and removed them
The Medician Department of Motor Vehicles has taken measures to acquire poorly-tuned vehicles and burn them
Di Ravello’s Militia has been given a refresher course in combat and spatial awareness as per the General’s recent mandate
The Medician Department of Infrastructure has made some adjustments to certain roads to prevent traffic jams
Various stability/crash fixes
Various camera fixes
Various Havok destruction optimisations
Various localisation fixes and updates
Various worldsim improvements

MISSIONS, CHALLENGES, RANDOM ENCOUNTERS
Various minor mission bug fixes
Various minor challenge bug fixes
Fixed some various issues with Random Encounters

GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION
Various LoD optimisations
Various lighting optimisations
Various animation optimisations

AUDIO
Various level and EQ adjustments
Rebels riding along with Rico will now be less rude and not talk over each other
Fixed a few rare audio distortion issues involving destructible objects with lots of moving parts
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It appears that the game has just unlocked on Steam (East Coast USA). Sadly, I'm not going to be able to touch the computer for a couple more hours due to spousal obligation :wink:. I did see a couple of reviews, one positive and one negative. Funny thing is, the items that one person loved is what the other person hated. I'll give the game a look later on.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

:lol:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, just put in a couple of hours on this and... well, it's different from Just Cause 2. It uses checkpoint saves with no option to have multiple saves, which you could do in JC2. I don't know how I feel about that.

Running on a PC, with these specs: Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit, 480GB SSD main drive. Using the Steam FPS overlay, I had to tinker with the graphics settings to get a decent frame rate. Most of the time it's near 60, but driving or with a lot of action going on, it drops down, but no lower than 30. I might have to fiddle with the settings if it starts to bother me too much. Here are my current settings (click to enlarge):

Combat is easier than in JC2. Well, shooting individual soldiers is easier, but you start taking damage faster when being shot at, so stand up gunfights aren't worth it. Thankfully, with the new, better grapple system that allows multiple grappling, getting rid of enemy soldiers is as easy as grappling them, then attaching them to something else (a wall, another soldier, an explosive barrel) and triggering the grapple cable to retract.

Some folks have reported long load times, but I haven't seen it. Of course, between 16GB of RAM and an SSD, I'm probably pretty well off when it comes to loading all that detail.

One thing they have fixed since JC2; you don't need money anymore. In JC2 you had to pay for more ammo, guns, vehicles, everything. Now there is a system where you get supply drops of items which you have unlocked by progressing in the game and completing various races and other competitions. I'm not sure about how all of it works, but I did hate that money stuff in JC2.

Driving seems a bit sloppy compared to JC2, especially with motorbikes. Still, it's not unacceptable.

Two hours is pretty early in a game to give a comprehensive opinion, but here are my general impressions. This is not a deep game. Plot is paper thin, but I didn't go into it thinking it would be anything different. The general mayhem you can cause is a lot of fun and it's pretty much the core of the game. I haven't had any glitches so far, but there are reports of CTDs and clipping issues.

There have been some negative mainstream reviews, but they sound to me like the same folks who bad mouthed Mad Max because it wasn't Shakespeare.

Frankly, unless you're really (like me) a huge fan of JC2, I'd hold off and look at some reviews and impressions before committing. And be sure to look for specifics regarding your rig and the specs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I fiddled with the graphics settings and finally just went with what the game recommended:

You'll notice that I lowered my screen res to 1280x720. Well, at least it's a stable 60 fps now :roll:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the latest irritation is the periodic warning messages like these:

Image (click to enlarge)

and then...

Image (click to enlarge)

It needs the connection so it can upload your records, like longest motorcycle ride on one wheel or longest freefall. And it is constantly popping up messages like the one on the right of the screen:

Image (click to enlarge)

Every time someone beats your record, you get a pop-up. Every time you set a record, you get a pop-up. And apparently you can't turn off these messages unless you turn off all HUD items.

And there is no way to make it go offline as an option.

That's it, I'm giving up till they fix some of this nonsense. I'm really recommending that folks pass on this till it's decently updated.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I surprised myself by playing another six hours myself. I'm still running at 1280x720 on the PC to get 60fps, but it's not really a problem for me on my 24" monitor. The game was fun, although having a couple crash to desktops didn't help. As one reviewer said, this is the kind of game that after a while you pick up and play for an hour or two at a time, but it's not really deep or intriguing. I'm happy with my decision to buy it, but I would have rather got it on sale in a couple of months when they have patched the major issues.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you for the posts. You've certainly helped me out in my decision.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bill Harris posted a link to the Geforce Performance Guide for the game.
KDH

Post by KDH »

jztemple2 wrote: ... And there is no way to make it go offline as an option.

That's it, I'm giving up till they fix some of this nonsense. I'm really recommending that folks pass on this till it's decently updated.

Total Biscuit mentioned telling STEAM to go in offline mode .. but added that it was still quirky

Image .. (53min)

(jump to the 3:35 mark for the online rant)
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've now put in 12 hours on the game and I'm just not impressed, especially since I played the hell out of Just Cause 2. The map has less content and there's just less things that are interesting to see. JC2 had huge cities, in JC3 I searched the map and found one with a couple of skyscrapers and not much else. It's a good time waster of a game, but I'd wait for a half off or more sale.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I appreciate you sharing. I really enjoyed Just Cause 2 - thought it was big fun and half of it was seeing everything.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote:I appreciate you sharing. I really enjoyed Just Cause 2 - thought it was big fun and half of it was seeing everything.
Yes, if you were a Just Cause 2 fan this game is going to be a significant disappointment, as least it was to me. Part of the appeal of JC2 to me was the map, not only was it so large, but there were so many terrain types, building styles, interesting locales and everything from sandy beach resorts to jungle villages to exotic mountain retreats. JC3 really has nothing that approaches this.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Patch 1.02 Now Live on PC!
I'm pleased to let you know that the 1.02 patch we announced earlier today is now live, ahead of the anticipated Friday date.

In the 1.02 patch (132.1MB), you can expect:

Significantly improved loading times
Optimizations to online stats
General stability fixes
Fixed an issue related to challenges, wherein vehicles sometimes disappeared when starting a challenge
Fixed issues related to screen resizing and closing the game window before the game has fully started up

To those of you still having issues, rest assured we are working hard to alleviate these, and are listening very closely to everything that’s being said.

While the patch will improve performance on the whole, we’ve listened to some of the other concerns raised about the game and put together a little list of points which might alleviate these issues:

UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES
You can skip cutscenes, in fact – all you need to do is hold B on your gamepad, or hit ‘Skip’ from the pause menu.

NO SPRINT BUTTON
This isn’t an oversight; it’s very much intended. Our designer’s intent was to encourage you to use Rico’s unique grapple to move around Medici far quicker than his legs would allow, as well as giving you the ability to traverse vertically.

NO CROUCH
Rico doesn’t hide. Getting him up in the air is our version of the cover mechanic. Rico is far more deadly in the skies, than pinned behind a container on the ground.

FINDING THE LAST CHAOS OBJECT
While there’s no mini-map to help you liberate bases and towns, you can always bring up your map to help find Chaos objects. When you’re down to the last few objects in any given settlement, an approximate location for these will be displayed on the map.

For more hints and tips for improving your experience and really getting the most out of the game, check out our Hints and Tips thread, and feel free to add your own.

Again, a huge thanks for your support over the past week, and look out for more news soon. If there’s any changes to the patch between now and Friday, we’ll let you know here.

If you are still encountering any issues following the patch, please contact our Customer Support EU [support.eu.square-enix.com] or Customer Support NA [support.na.square-enix.com]
So I'm going back to playing and see if this fixed the CTD issues I've been having.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:Yes, if you were a Just Cause 2 fan this game is going to be a significant disappointment, as least it was to me.
I got this for Christmas (playing on XB1) and I'm also disappointed. All I am doing is going from town/base to town/base destroying the necessary bits before moving on to the next one. It's just not that engaging. Partially because death is fairly common and largely meaningless. The only penalty is the load time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like a perfect game to throw in the wishlist for the inevitable $5 sale a couple years from now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I quit playing JC3 because of a few issues, but it seems that it might be worth looking at it again... Sky Fortress Release Date and Patch Notes UPDATE
Hello Just Cause 3 community,

To correct yesterday’s announcement on the JC3 patch - console users should see the patch filter through today, PC gamers should expect this next week. Please stay tuned and we will update you with the patch date as soon as possible.

To recap:

In preparation for the new AIR, LAND & SEA Expansion Pass content, the main game will receive a new update that includes the following fixes:

- Reduced initial loading time and in-game loading screens by 20-50%
- Fixed several memory leaks resulting in crashes
- Reduced a number of random crashes
- Improved streaming of game world
- Some performance optimizations related to hitches and stuttering
- Implemented DLC system in preparation of the Air, Land and Sea packages

The SKY FORTRESS pack will be priced at $11.99 / €11.99 / £9.49 whilst the AIR, LAND & SEA Expansion Pass is available for $24.99 / €24.99 / £19.99. All three content packs will be available before the end of summer 2016 and released one week early to Expansion Pass holders.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The fixes are all performance and none of my concerns were around performance. Yes load times were bad, but otherwise it was smooth for me. My problem was that there was just no... hmmm.. I don't know what. I would just assault a base and die over and over again until I found all the crap I was supposed to destroy to wipe out the base. Finding the crap to destroy was annoying. Death was guaranteed. It just wasn't all that much fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had some performance issues and also crashes; it was the only PC game I've owned in recently memory that had so many crashes. I'm hoping that maybe this will be fixed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can anyone explain why I have this game in my library?

To the best of my knowledge I've never purchased it or gotten it as part of a promo or anything. Maybe I received it as a gift but have forgotten. Should probably check that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Seeing as I can't see your profile, despite being your friend there, I'm going to say no.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Seeing as I can't see your profile, despite being your friend there, I'm going to say no.
Ok, changed profile to friends only.

Steam says it was added on January 30th 2016. There is no purchase record for that date, so I'm guessing I either got it somewhere else and activated it on steam or received it as a gift.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Seeing as I can't see your profile, despite being your friend there, I'm going to say no.

Steam says it was added on January 30th 2016. There is no purchase record for that date, so I'm guessing I either got it somewhere else and activated it on steam or received it as a gift.
Don't you still have to accept gifts for them to activate?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Punisher wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Yes. Is there a record of that somewhere?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

GreenGoo wrote:
Punisher wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

Yes. Is there a record of that somewhere?
That I do not know.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

https://store.steampowered.com/account/licenses/

Options include:
  • Gift/Guest Pass
  • Complimentary
  • Steam Store
  • Retail
KDH

Post by KDH »

GreenGoo wrote:Yes. Is there a record of that somewhere?

Do you keep or 'archive' your confirmation emails from steam and others?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

KDH wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Yes. Is there a record of that somewhere?

Do you keep or 'archive' your confirmation emails from steam and others?
Probably.

Good point, thanks!

edit: Haha! While it wasn't a gift, it was a promo as part of my system purchase in January!

Thanks so much KDH. It never even crossed my mind that it could have been part of a hardware promotion. I had completely forgotten, even though I received several other pieces of software at the same time.

Ok, seriously, that makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was losing my mind.

Thanks again.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:D .. <tips hat>

yeah, I just bought a system from CyberPower, and they have freebies scattered all over their site .. I thought I was going to get Tomb Raider, but I assumed that if I qualified for it, they'd give it to me without me having to check a box ... nope

it's a good thing I didn't really want it that badly
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've wiped the map of all influence except the core base, which is, of course, mission-gated. Working my way through Eden sky-ship expansion missions as well. I am doing the item hunt for 100% on that, and may go back for the challenges, but I don't know that I'll bother with 100% on them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I want to rid the nation of this evil dictator but I keep getting sidetracked grappling stuff to other stuff and shooting out car tires. Considering that I get maybe 2 hours of game time a week, Medici may be under the iron fist for some time...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Bavarium on a Plane mission was fun, as grappling the tails of two fighters together does interesting things.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »