Psychonauts 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Psychonauts 2

Post by Isgrimnur »

Put your money down
In Psychonauts 2, Raz realizes his dream and visits Psychonauts Headquarters. However, when he gets there, he finds it's not the perfect place he expected and quickly realizes that the Psychonauts need him more than he needs them.

Psychonauts 2 will feature a new hub world inside Psychonauts HQ. You’ll access new mental worlds as Raz peeks inside the minds of a host of new characters who need his help to combat their inner demons and unravel their deep-seated emotional issues. Raz will hone his secret agent PSI-abilities—and learn new ones too—using them to solve mysteries and uncover evil plots.

To make a true sequel to Psychonauts, we'll need the same brains who worked on the original to join us again. That's why we're getting the band back together! Of course, Tim Schafer will be leading the project, but we’re also going to be working with several key collaborators from the original Psychonauts!

Artists Scott Campbell, Peter Chan and Nathan Stapley will be returning alongside composer Peter McConnell to contribute their unique visual and musical styles. Erik Wolpaw will also be making a comeback to collaborate on story and dialogue. Both Richard Horvitz and Nicki Rapp have promised to return to voice Razputin and Lili, with Khris Brown lined up to direct them again.

Last but not least, Psychonauts 2 will be developed in house by the award-winning team here at Double Fine which still include members of the original Psychonauts team—Anna Kipnis, Bert Chang, Dave 'Rusty' Russell, Geoff Soulis, Kee Chi, Malena Annable, and Ray Crook.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Re: Psychonauts 2

Post by Pyperkub »

Backed at a Rewards level. Can't wait for more Raz!

Thought about the investment angle, but I'm not sold on Double Fine's ability to turn a significant profit on this yet. With 2 weeks to go, they are about 91% of the way there.

Where's Notch?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just got an email that the backer Psychonauts 2 tshirts are going out! Check your emails!

Here's the latest update from 10/5/17

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Getting closer. Was accidentally posted for preload, and the original is on gamepass!

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2021/05/h ... ad_on_xbox

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watching a few reviews last night, and it looks like this is an outstanding game. Pre-loading it on Gamepass now, it'll unlock later today.

I missed the original when it first came out. Tried to go back to it last year sometimes and while I appreciated the humor and the overall world, the dated graphics and some awkward platforming eventually ran me off. Looks like some of that has been cleaned up, and I'm looking forward to jumping into this tonight.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's sooooo gooooooddddd. The entire style is something I love so I'm serverly biased but man it's so good. Playing on the series s and it looks AMAZING. Gamepass is the best thing ever. Until they cock it up of course. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Played the first couple hours last night, and it didn't grab me as much as I was hoping for. Partly because the humor was far more miss than hit for me, and partly because of my completely remedial platforming skills (I struggle with combinations of multiple buttons/trigger pulls to perform simple actions, which is required here. I'm sure it'll get better once I get more used to it.)

The story is interesting and it oozes style, but the gameplay didn't immediately hook me, which was a little disappointing.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't disagree about the controls. It feels a bit clunky to me, but I like everything else so much that it doesn't bother me a ton.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:30 am Played the first couple hours last night, and it didn't grab me as much as I was hoping for. Partly because the humor was far more miss than hit for me, and partly because of my completely remedial platforming skills (I struggle with combinations of multiple buttons/trigger pulls to perform simple actions, which is required here. I'm sure it'll get better once I get more used to it.)

The story is interesting and it oozes style, but the gameplay didn't immediately hook me, which was a little disappointing.
Im kind of with SkinnyP on this one. I've played about 3 hours now and it's good, but it's not SOOOO good. If I had anything recent to compare it to it would be Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and that game blows Psychonauts 2 out of the water on almost every single aspect. Graphics, story, humor, controls, gameplay, etc..

Keep in mind I am enjoying Psychonauts 2, its a good game, it's just not a 10 for me, it's more like an 8.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've put some more time into this game since my last post and I am really enjoying it, BUT this is definitely a game that is a generation or 2 behind in terms of gameplay.

The controls are a bit too stiff for my liking and the fact that you can only have 4 psy powers equipped at one time really sucks. Most levels and areas require that you have more than 4 powers available. So this means that you have to pause the game to then go and switch in the power that you need. This is really bad when you don't know that you need the power until it's too late and you die simply because the power wasn't equipped. Also because you are constantly switching the powers in and out they are always getting assigned to new buttons. Which is really confusing.

That's easily my biggest gripe about the game. Everything else is pure adventure platforming bliss.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Also, I've had the game freeze twice, resulting in me losing about 20 minutes of game time each time because the game lacks a manual save feature. This is on a Series X.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:23 amMost levels and areas require that you have more than 4 powers available. So this means that you have to pause the game to then go and switch in the power that you need. This is really bad when you don't know that you need the power until it's too late and you die simply because the power wasn't equipped. Also because you are constantly switching the powers in and out they are always getting assigned to new buttons. Which is really confusing.
This has been my biggest gripe as well. I also find that switching out the powers tends to make the combat overly difficult. I've died multiple times, getting swarmed by enemies as I'm frantically trying to remember which powers I happen to have equipped to which buttons and how they relate to the specific enemy that's pounding on me at the moment.

Played another couple hours last night, and am still mostly meh on it. Maybe it's because I bought too much into the "OMG BEST GAME EVER" hype from reviews. While there's a ton of creativity on display, the actual moment-to-moment gameplay isn't really that interesting to me, nor is the overarching story. Cool visuals only go so far.
Scraper wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 am Also, I've had the game freeze twice, resulting in me losing about 20 minutes of game time each time because the game lacks a manual save feature. This is on a Series X.
I've had two freezes, two CTDs, and the game takes a really long time to load levels on my PC.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:26 am I've had two freezes, two CTDs, and the game takes a really long time to load levels on my PC.
I've only played around two hours, but no issues at all other than lack of interest. Also load times are super quick, but my PC is a *bit* better than average.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My Xbox One X is apparently inflicted with the thermal paste issue, as I can't even get past the loading screen without the game overheating my console and shutting it down.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I've seen a lot of people with issues with the PS5 and the Xbox. I guess that happens with every generation, but I've also seen that the response to fixing it isn't too stellar. My BIL had his controller die after 2 months and they told him he had to pay shipping if he wanted it fixed. :P

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:37 am I've seen a lot of people with issues with the PS5 and the Xbox. I guess that happens with every generation, but I've also seen that the response to fixing it isn't too stellar. My BIL had his controller die after 2 months and they told him he had to pay shipping if he wanted it fixed. :P
Oh, this is the previous generation's console! Apparently on quite a few of the launch day consoles, the thermal paste job on the CPU sucked and some games tax the console so much that it just craps out (Red Dead Redemption 2 is another).
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I installed the original Psychonauts to see if this would be something I'm interested in, and decided to pass. I can definitely understand the original's charm in terms of characters, etc. but even after a couple of hours I couldn't muster much interest in it. I'm not a huge platformer fan, though, so I'm not the target audience. Soldier on, brave Psychonauts, but I'm gonna sit this one out.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

got my backer key and installed.

If you are on gamepass ultimate and xbox as a backer, make sure you get your 6k rewards points for buying it ;)

I do have the PS4 Pro Rhombus of Ruin VR game that's a bridge that I want to play first tho! Damn you backlog!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tried it one more time for a couple hours last night and have decided this just isn't one for me. Every time I'm left feeling like it's simply more frustrating than fun.

Oh well...
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 am Tried it one more time for a couple hours last night and have decided this just isn't one for me. Every time I'm left feeling like it's simply more frustrating than fun.

Oh well...
I hear ya, the controls are killing it for me. But I'll probably end up finishing it anyway. I'm constantly hitting the wrong shoulder buttons due to the stupid power swapping system.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:22 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:50 am Tried it one more time for a couple hours last night and have decided this just isn't one for me. Every time I'm left feeling like it's simply more frustrating than fun.

Oh well...
I hear ya, the controls are killing it for me. But I'll probably end up finishing it anyway. I'm constantly hitting the wrong shoulder buttons due to the stupid power swapping system.
I kind of solved this by only swapping out the Left Trigger. I keep pyro, psi-blast and telekinesis mapped most of the time for combat readiness and swap around levitation, clairvoyance and whatever the mind merge thing is on that one button. Once in a while you need both lev and mind connect at the same time, but it's generally only for a moment and I swap right back.

I looked it up and it is only a 10-15 hour game so I figured I'd push through as nothing else is calling my name. Earlier someone mentioned the humor just wasn't landing for them. After 4-5 hours of playing, I don't even know what humor is being referred to. I haven't heard much I could even call a joke. The story isn't completely awful and I kind of like the exploration.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

A weird thing with this game for me is that I love the open world areas but for the most part the actual story levels (The minds) have fallen flat for me. I think it's because the open world parts scratch my adventure game exploration and collection itch and the story levels just remind me how much I hate the controls.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it. 17 hours. Could have been a few hours shorter as the end dragged a bit. I guess I'm glad I played it, but I am even more glad I played it on gamepass.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:36 pm Finished it. 17 hours. Could have been a few hours shorter as the end dragged a bit. I guess I'm glad I played it, but I am even more glad I played it on gamepass.
I think I'm getting close to the end. This game is so up and down for me. I'll definitely finish it, but I'm with Coop, I'm glad I'm playing it through Gamepass and didn't pay full price for it. For anyone without gamepass I would recommend you wait to play it until it goes to about 50% off.
FTE