Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cortilian

Re: Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by Cortilian »

morlac wrote:Laughing at this thread and drinking a couple beers + a $20 Steam credit made me press the buy button last night. I'm not a huge survival game fan, don't enjoy most EA games but whatever. My dangly bits will be all over Cimmeria this evening...once the wife and kid goto bed (thanks for the warning YK!) Imps, I will be bringing my Trusty Stone Axe. You have been warned.
You can disable dangly bits in option :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Cortilian wrote:
morlac wrote:Laughing at this thread and drinking a couple beers + a $20 Steam credit made me press the buy button last night. I'm not a huge survival game fan, don't enjoy most EA games but whatever. My dangly bits will be all over Cimmeria this evening...once the wife and kid goto bed (thanks for the warning YK!) Imps, I will be bringing my Trusty Stone Axe. You have been warned.
You can disable dangly bits in option :)
Yup, there is an option for no nudity (Fully swaddled!) , partial nudity (Bewbs!) or full nudity (Twigs and Berries and Bushes, oh my!).

I don't know what I was doing wrong initially (aside from playing a new game at zero-dark-hundred instead of sleeping), but Harkonis is correct in that just using the "interact" (E) key while standing in water will let you drink, whether or not you have a waterskin. I'd have sworn that I tried that, but since I literally died of thirst while wading in a river, I guess I flubbed it somehow. :)

I have a basic bow and arrows now, so crocs are no longer a death sentence as long as I can kite them. The archery is pretty cool. When you equip a bow they display a HUD reticle to aid in aiming, but since the arrows follow an arced trajectory you still need to manually adjust your elevation for distant targets.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Max Peck wrote:
Harkonis wrote:you can drink from water source, just interact.
I tried that, but it didn't work. :think: Do you need to hold down the key and use the pop-up radial menu?
Not sure there was a trick, I was just walking in the shallow water and holding the interact key and my thirst filled up.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Harkonis wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Harkonis wrote:you can drink from water source, just interact.
I tried that, but it didn't work. :think: Do you need to hold down the key and use the pop-up radial menu?
Not sure there was a trick, I was just walking in the shallow water and holding the interact key and my thirst filled up.
Yeah, I tested it out this morning and the only trick seems to be not being me fumbling around in a sleep-deprived haze. As always, never rule out PEBCAK (problem exists between chair and keyboard). :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
wire

Post by wire »

I was also a bit confused with drinking from the river until I noticed that my thirst meter filled as I pressed E. I was expecting some kind of interaction notification but it appears to be like gathering rocks and fibers. I also found that if you have your water skin on your quick bar you can press the number and it fills the water skin.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

You guys finding the game pretty stable for being an early access title? Does it still play well with only one player?

I've already got a weakness for survival games and even better if it lets me curse Krom and drive my enemies before me.

And have a huge, swarthy cock.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I've spent the last several hours on the Qt3 server pretty much by myself. Never really dug these survival games but chilling knocking down trees has been kinda relaxin :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So far the game has been stable for me, with no crashes. The only real bug I've run into was when I died, respawned at my bedroll, and found myself stuck in the ceiling of my little shack (I'm guessing the respawn point was actually above the bedroll rather than at the bedroll. For now, I just made a point to place the bedroll in the open beside the building rather than inside it.

I've been playing local/solo without running into any serious issues aside from my own ineptitude. In the worst case scenario, there are a lot of server settings that can be adjusted if solo play is too difficult/tedious.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So the question is......is this fun? Or am I going to be buying it just to play with virtual ding dongs? :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

YellowKing wrote:So the question is......is this fun? Or am I going to be buying it just to play with virtual ding dongs? :D
Fun is subjective. If you're OK with an unstructured sandbox, enjoy resource gathering, rudimentary combat and building stuff, and don't mind that you're paying $30 ($60 if you want the ebooks and stuff) to play an alpha build that will most likely be a work-in-progress for a long time, you're probably good to go. There have been a metric shit-ton of streamers playing the game since it launched (it was the #2 game on Twitch when I took a look last night), so there is a lot of gameplay video out there if you want to see the current state of the game.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Have any of you guys playing it already played ARK? It seems like the logical comparison. I'm looking for more polish and I guess I'll be getting fewer dinosaurs in exchange.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:Have any of you guys playing it already played ARK? It seems like the logical comparison. I'm looking for more polish and I guess I'll be getting fewer dinosaurs in exchange.
Nope. I'm not generally interested in multiplayer survival games. I grabbed this because Conan! and the ability to easily run it as a de facto single-player game if I wish.

The general comparison I've seen with ARK is that Exiles "feels" more professional (but is still too early to call it polished) while ARK has more content.

morlac

Post by morlac »

YellowKing wrote:So the question is......is this fun? Or am I going to be buying it just to play with virtual ding dongs? :D

I know what my answer was, i think you know yours to.

edit: (have not actually played it yet).
morlac

Post by morlac »

Played a couple hours now and enjoyed my time so far. Anyone got a good server to play on?
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I've been playing on the Qt3 server. It's semi-private. Maybe a dozen people that are regulars.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This exited early access last week and I have played a bit and am enjoying it. Very Ark-like without the dinosaurs, but with other mythical crap your pants creatures. My post from GT:
coopasonic wrote:
EngineNo9 wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I finished up Battletech Friday night and have been bouncing back and forth between Destiny 2 and Conan Exiles since. i feel like I am hitting the limit on what you can do solo in Conan, so I might just try joining a PvP server and playing around with getting killed repeatedly.
Aah, that's too bad. I had kind of worried that like Ark you would be a bit too limited as a solo player in Conan and it sounds like that's how it goes.
After playing some more, solo isn't really that bad... it isn't really much different from Ark though. I moved to a (official) PvP server and didn't see anyone all day and got back to where I was on my local game. For most of the day there were 7-10 players on and a little chat going on. I finally decided to go for a run after setting up my crafting stations to make all the stuff I needed for a decent-sized Tier 2 base... and when I came back I couldn't get on.

The official servers have "raid time." Player structures are indestructible, except for a specific time window. On the server I was playing on I think it is 5-11pm ET. The server was 40/40 every time I checked... and I checked a lot. Basically I had a Tier 1 house, full of Tier 2 crafting materials and I couldn't get on to check on it. I did what any sane person would do... I started a character on another server.

The official server have gathering set at 2x, but this server had it at 1x so I didn't get as far as fast, but I got some decent levels for the time invested, did some exploring and built a starter home.... again. This server was running around 30-32 people at prime time and had the cap set at 50-ish.

This morning I was finally able to get on my original server and found that I was alive and my building was still intact. I guess it was too far out of the way to be worth to anyone equipped to harm it. On the other hand, I know somebody found it because all the bricks were gone from my furnace. My furnace was poking through the wall of my base so you could access it from outside. Oops. Bricks are probably the most annoying thing to make and that was the last thing I needed to prep for my new base. It only took me about a half hour this morning to recover what I had lost, so not a big deal.

The real question is what do I do tonight. I'd rather play with 2x gathering, but I do not want to fight for a spot on a server. The game just hit release last week so I assume people will get bored and move on... hell, I'll be playing State of Decay 2 in a few days.

If anyone wants to play with me on the server with space, (I think) it is: 134.255.251.171:23000 If the name comes up with Mixer.com that's the place. It has RP in the title. From what I can tell, that means at the end of character creation change your name from your steam name to something more thematic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I played this a bit just local solo over the weekend, and it's pretty fun. Lot more depth to it than it seems once you get a base established and get a little way up the build tree. It did take me a bit to realize rather than making crafting happen 3 times faster, my changing settings made it 3 times slower, but once I got that all figured out things progressed well.

I initially headed to the greener areas to the east after reaching the first oasis. After setting up a small base on an island there and getting my gear upgraded a bit, I made the trek north beyond the desert into the highlands and found a lovely little clearing to build a base. It's got some nice deep water nearby for fishing, plenty of stone, iron, coal, and an assortment of camps to gather thralls from. Only thing I haven't found a good source of yet is brimstone, but I'll probably head out next time I play to find a good source and get some more thralls.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've finally settled on a low population server (high ping keeps people away I think), I think it is official server 1769 #1767 . I'm level 57 and have a decent base. I've never seen more than 4 people on the server at once so it's pretty quiet. I created a clan just to say I did, then I invited one guy that I'd been chatting with on the public channel. He's been pretty helpful with gathering materials and getting things set up. I've explored most of the map for the exploration xp.

My base is on the aqueduct and it takes a max height elevator to get there. The base building is pretty cool.

I've also gathered 9 or 10 thralls to help out around the house, mostly tier 3 (smelter, armorer, blacksmith, carpenter, tanner, couple dancers and a fighter), though I have a tier 4 thrall master to help break thralls faster, and I have a named archer just about ready to go along with a second smelter. I tried to get a named fighter, but he kicked my ass. I may need to get my clanmate to help me bring him down.
Last edited by coopasonic on Mon May 21, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bought this for the wife over the weekend, and she's enjoying it.

Nothing says "Conan" like building a house and whacking rabbits for hides.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am Bought this for the wife over the weekend, and she's enjoying it.

Nothing says "Conan" like building a house and whacking rabbits for hides.
You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel. Note: I have not seen any camels in the game. I guess you can punch a moose instead. These days I spend most of my time murdering people looking for high tier thralls to enslave and collecting tribute for my god, Ymir. My clanmate wants me to switch to Derketo and I might. He says the stuff I am working on to get from Ymir is farmable without going through all the trouble. *shrug* I'm ok with worshipping anyone that can help me out. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Crom helps those who help themselves.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My server is official pvp server 1767. If you want to join up, jump on and look for Kyra or Numnuts. If it's Numnuts tell him you are a friend of Kyra.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Numnuts? :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I know, but he's been pretty cool. By default your character name is your steam id and most people don't notice or think to change it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My first week with Conan Exiles.

Woke up naked after 10 awkward minutes with the endowment slider (initially settled on John Holmes...decided I'd probably just trip a lot...so I set it to "nubbin"). After cut scene, wandered off to find some pants. Figured out how to make pants and promptly made gloves by accident. Still naked, but now able to safely pick up hot things, I gathered some more plant fiber and created my much needed trousers. Felt proud of new trousers, so immediately made a shirt. Then I saw a giant bat like thing standing over a body. Man Bat Jr. flew off as I approached and I was rewarded with a journal.

Found my way to an oasis of sorts. Made a crude stone axe and a crude stone pick. Figured out how to chop down trees and get rocks. Died after stealing an egg from a nearby nest. Came back to life near the place where I started, but standing atop a frighteningly large pile of naked men and women named "unconscious".

Ran back to oasis and punched my nemesis in the ass.

After I came back to life again, realized I needed something more effective as a weapon. So I made my first set of daggers. Hurried back to the oasis and promptly killed my archenemy. Tried to loot his body, but found nothing. It wouldn't be for another month or so of game time before I realized you had to take an axe and repeatedly hit a dead body before it would shoot out loot like power ups in some kind of weird Mario Brothers game.

I wonder why they never had an endowment slider in Super Mario Brothers?

Anyway, made my way back to a nearby plateau and started to build Casa de Hepcat. Placed thatch roof in an impossible angle that defied all laws of physics. Said screw it, went with simple flat roof.

Built a campfire. Put stuff in campfire, took stuff out of campfire, then got bored of this and went looking for eggs. A few game weeks later I'd finally realize you need to add wood to a fire to make it hot. Funny how that works.

Eventually, I was able to create a lamp.

The end.
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have around 120 hours in the game now. Based on what you are saying, you've basically mastered it now.

I'd say you were welcome to join my clan on one of the official PVP servers, but my 12yo plays with me and I am not sure I want to expose him to hepcat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My wife walked in on me the other night just as I was climbing a cliff naked with my female character.

I was proud to inform her that I wasn't in fact a pervert, and in fact not wearing clothes made my character lighter, and therefore able to climb higher cliffs, so there was a perfectly reasonable explanation for why I was doing this, backed up by the game mechanics.

Unfortunately, the mocking tone of her laughter indicated this did not end the conversation as I had hoped it would.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was at least smart enough to turn full nudity off.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 pm I'd say you were welcome to join my clan on one of the official PVP servers, but my 12yo plays with me and I am not sure I want to expose him to hepcat.
I don't do PvP in these games. I learned my lesson back in my days with Shadowbane. After finding some OOers on a server, I asked if I could join their group and one of them killed me (i was pretty low level) while running past me (I'm pretty sure it was MSDuncan). After I recovered, I found their guild town and stood outside their gate and yelling over chat who I was. Someone just replied to the effect of "We're about to be invaded, go away!". A few seconds after that, a swarm of other players came over the horizon and killed me on their way to bigger fish.

I did eventually catch up with Yellowking's alt, and he got me into the group I believe. But eventually Shadowbane went from "I'm going out there and I'm going to grind me some XP!" to "I'm going out th....". You couldn't get 4 feet outside a safe zone without getting ganked.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unfortunately, the mocking tone of her laughter indicated this did not end the conversation as I had hoped it would.
Ya that'll come back to bite you in the ass.

Once I did a full reinstall on Windows years ago and I had no blockers or anything yet and connected to the web. As I was browsing for things to download to fix it all up a popup popped up wit ha porn site....right as my wife was coming in. It surprised me and freaked me out and I fumbled hitting the close window on it. She was all "What was that??"... I tried to explain. I even closed it all and opened the browser back up and went to where I was looking for tools and another one popped up. I finally had to call my ISP and let her hear them explain its true and they offered free tools to solve that. I didn't need them but it took that to keep me alive :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But how did you explain the Batman outfit and the nipple clamps? :?
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:19 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:52 pm I'd say you were welcome to join my clan on one of the official PVP servers, but my 12yo plays with me and I am not sure I want to expose him to hepcat.
I don't do PvP in these games. I learned my lesson back in my days with Shadowbane. After finding some OOers on a server, I asked if I could join their group and one of them killed me (i was pretty low level) while running past me (I'm pretty sure it was MSDuncan). After I recovered, I found their guild town and stood outside their gate and yelling over chat who I was. Someone just replied to the effect of "We're about to be invaded, go away!". A few seconds after that, a swarm of other players came over the horizon and killed me on their way to bigger fish.

I did eventually catch up with Yellowking's alt, and he got me into the group I believe. But eventually Shadowbane went from "I'm going out there and I'm going to grind me some XP!" to "I'm going out th....". You couldn't get 4 feet outside a safe zone without getting ganked.
I've been playing Conan on PvP servers for about a month now and have never been attacked by another player. It's generally live and let live until someone gets bored. There are some dicks (not just the ones on the characters) but the server community generally comes together to deal with them. On a PVE server, they can F with you and there's basically nothing you can really do about it (unless it's a private server and the admin is one of the good ones).

I am not sure why Conan is different from Ark when it comes to PvP. It was brutal in ARK. In Conan, raiding anything top tier (and it's pretty easy to get to top tier) is very resource expensive and generally doesn't get you much. That might be why.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Last night on Hyborian Adventures:

Our hero tried to climb a mountain naked because it looked hilarious.

Confronted by another player wielding a bow and arrow, our hero realized he didn't turn off the ability to hear other players and was repeatedly told "I'll shoot you in the dick with this arrow if you don't give me everything you have!". Since he plays on a PvE server, there was an awkward 2 minute stand off as he stared blankly at the semi naked Robin Hood....before turning around and just running away.

While naked mountain climbing, our hero realized about 10 feet from the top of the mountain that he didn't have enough stamina. He also quickly realized that simply stopping and waiting does not allow the stamina bar to refill. So he ate a grilled steak, hung there for about 3 minutes, then inched up a foot before falling to his death.

Tonight on Hyborian Adventures:

Naked gator wrestling!
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 pm Since he plays on a PvE server, there was an awkward 2 minute stand off as he stared blankly at the semi naked Robin Hood....before turning around and just running away.
Are you playing on an official PvE server? Is it labeled PVE-C? I'm just curious because some people are surprised to find that PVE-C servers are actually PvP with structure damage turned off.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have no clue. I'll look tonight. Perhaps my dick was in danger after all.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nope, PvE only. No one is shooting my genitals on this server.
Covfefe!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I can't figure out if Conan is a genital obsessed game, or if it's just hepcat.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hate the game, not the player.

Wait....I guess you could do both.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 am Hate the game, not the player.

Wait....I guess you could do both.
Ironically, the answer to Fitzy's question is also both...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it only gets more embarrassing.

Today, while fighting a crocodile, my pants broke. It’s a little disconcerting to suddenly find yourself naked from the waist down in the middle of a fight.

Anyway, back to serious stuff. I couldn’t log into my server for a few hours this morning. First time I’ve had that happen.
Covfefe!