Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by Daehawk »

Survive in the world of Conan.

Trailer

Info

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Re: Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by Max Peck »

Moar info. Early Access coming to a Steam outlet near you on 13 Sep 2016. Colour me intrigued...
Funcom, the independent developer and publisher of computer and console games, today announced that the company’s open-world survival game ‘Conan Exiles’ will enter into Early Access on September 13th, 2016. The company cut the ribbon to the official Steam page today, where Early Access will kick off, with full launch on PC and consoles to follow. The company also released the first ever trailer featuring pre-alpha gameplay footage, finally giving fans a glimpse at how the game looks in motion. The video is available in eight different languages.

“We’re very excited (and a bit nervous) about launching our first Early Access title,” said Funcom CEO Rui Casais. “The team wants to give the players the best possible experience, and while we are used to working on a game for several years before letting players in, this time around we will let players in just nine months after development started! As with any Early Access games, some features and content will be more finalized than others, and players will be able to help us focus on what’s important to them so that we can improve the game and flesh out content and systems before full launch.”

‘Conan Exiles’ will first become available as an Early Access title, meaning certain content and features will be more complete than others when first available. Over time Funcom will work with the community and players and focus on what is important to them when deciding what to improve, what new mechanics and content to add. Players can expect the game to improve significantly over the course of the Early Access period, on everything from graphics to content and systems.

Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game where players are cast into a barbaric wasteland where the weak are crushed and the strong survive. Here they must survive, build, and dominate on their own or in multiplayer on public and private servers. Players will get to explore a vast, seamless world full of dangers and rewards, and they must harvest resources to craft weapons, tools, and even buildings and entire settlements. The game features bloody, visceral combat and will see players clash in epic fights for domination of the barbaric lands. The game is set to enter Early Access on September 13th, 2016, with full launch on PC and consoles to follow.

Yesterday Funcom announced that the company will be working closely with NVIDIA to ensure cutting-edge graphics in ‘Conan Exiles’, and to co-promote the game through NVIDIA’s “The Way It’s Meant to Be Played” program. You can find the full press release on
Highlights from the Reddit AMA
Q: Can I punch camels?
A: You can punch anything.
I like the cut of their jib. :)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

In one of my favourite Dwarf Fortress moments I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Mr Bismarck wrote:In one of my favourite Dwarf Fortress moments I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
They did say that the post-EA-launch dev roadmap includes supporting mods, so I'd give that a tentative "yes" even if it isn't in the vanilla game. :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Very interested in this. I'm a HUGE Conan fan. I even enjoyed the Age of Conan MMO for the most part. Its biggest issue was that at launch it was a little half-baked and many of the promised features were missing or only partially implemented. Overall, however, it was still a lot of fun.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

PC Early Access launch date is 31 Jan 2017, with an Xbone release to follow in the spring.

Dev Blog 2 - What Conan Exiles is, and what it isn't.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Survival trailer.

Stream #1: Your first steps in Conan's world

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

YellowKing wrote:Very interested in this. I'm a HUGE Conan fan.
Me too so I'm going to be taking a hard look at this. It looks like they're going to have PvE servers in addition to the PvP ones so that's a plus.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Stream #2 - Thralls, crafting and combat
Our second dev stream goes into the specifics of the thrall system, building, crafting, and how to brutalize your enemies in combat.

PC EARLY ACCESS: January 31, 2017 | XBOX ONE GAME PREVIEW: Spring 2017
Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game set in the brutal lands of Conan the Barbarian!

English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages supported.

You are an exile, outcast and downtrodden, sentenced to walk in a barbaric wasteland where the weak are crushed and only the strong can live. Here you must fight to survive, build, and dominate the world alone on your own server or with enemies and allies in online multiplayer.

Journey through a vast, seamless world filled with the ruins of ancient civilizations and uncover its dark history and buried secrets as you seek to conquer and dominate the exiled lands yourself. Start with nothing but your bare hands and forge the legacy of your clan, from simple tools and weapons to gigantic fortresses and entire cities. Enslave the bandits of the exiled lands to do your bidding by breaking them on the grueling Wheel of Pain. Sacrifice the beating hearts of your enemies on the blood-soiled altars of your god to seize true power and glory. Summon the colossal avatar of your god and see them lay waste to your enemies and their homes.

Just remember: in this brutal land of vengeful gods, bloodthirsty cannibals, and vicious monsters, survival is more than tracking down food and water. Explore mysterious ruins in search of treasure and knowledge, but beware the risk of your mind being corrupted by the dark forces of the world. Traverse vast sand dunes and seek shelter from scouring sandstorms sweeping across the burning sands. March into war against your enemies and unleash your savage fury in brutal combat. Go in unprepared and it will be your head rolling and limbs flying.

Conan Exiles is not an empty sandbox. It is a world rich in history where you must discover the knowledge and secrets of ancient civilizations as you struggle to build your own.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mr Bismarck wrote:In one of my favourite Dwarf Fortress moments I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
How did I miss this post? :lol:

edit: stolen for signature. :wink:
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Speaking of Conan...

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I probably couldn't even hold the sword steady in that position, assuming it's not made out of aluminum or something.

It's cool that he likes his toys (sincerely).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I bet the real one was damn heavy. But him back then probably didn't feel it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I bet the real one was damn heavy. But him back then probably didn't feel it.
I'm pretty sure that is the real one, and that the Harrier is a scale model prop from True Lies.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And the cigar is from Predator :)

Cant figure the steam train poster.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Conan Exiles Stream #3: Building and blowing stuff up.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A new dev blog is up, with details about servers and mods.

Official PvP and PvE servers will be hosted on pingperfect.com, will be wiped every 30 days, and will by categorized by community types:
  • Purist
  • Relaxed
  • Hard core
  • Roleplaying
  • Experimental
Private servers can be hosted however you like with a server tool available on Steam. Mod support is planned to be in at the start of early access, with a custom Unreal Engine editor and Steam Workshop support.

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Max Peck wrote: Private servers can be hosted however you like
Awesome. That addresses the question I was too lazy to hunt down an answer for.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Server wipes in Conan Exiles
On Friday we announced our server partner on Conan Exiles and dug a bit deeper into some of the server settings players will have access to at Early Access launch. We also announced that the game's official servers would be wiped clean and reset after 30 days of playtime. This generated a lot of feedback from the community, both positive and negative. We've been reading through all your discussions, comments and messages and discussing what you've had to say since the announcement went out on Friday.

We understand your concerns and we've been listening.

As a result of your feedback we’ve decided to include three types of official servers to accommodate both preferences: PvP servers, PvE servers and PvP Blitz servers. These settings will only apply to official servers. Admins are free to choose whatever settings they want on unofficial servers.

The regular official PvP and PvE servers will not be wiped. The PvP Blitz servers will provide an accelerated experience, but will reset after 30 days. This ensures that players on PvP Blitz servers will be able to experience everything Conan Exiles has to offer before their progression is reset.

PvP Blitz servers will be tagged in the server description so you can easily differentiate them from the regular PvP and PvE servers.

Again, on your own private server you can choose to set them up with accelerated or unmodified progression in addition to any other ruleset adjustments you want to make! We’re looking forward to seeing the different playstyles and settings our community uses after Early Access launch.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I tuned in late to today's PvP Twitch stream, so I missed the official announcement, but it looks like the price will be USD$29.99 for EA.

And, of course, people in chat are condemning the game because the pre-EA stream is showing some lag/warping. :)

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Max Peck wrote:I tuned in late to today's PvP Twitch stream, so I missed the official announcement, but it looks like the price will be USD$29.99 for EA.

And, of course, people in chat are condemning the game because the pre-EA stream is showing some lag/warping. :)
Exactly what I expected price-wise. I'm in on the 31st. Hope the server requirements aren't too outlandish... I have a second computer standing by for hosting a casual server.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Official Cinematic Trailer
Conan Exiles is an Early Access open-world survival sandbox game set in the brutal universe of Conan the Barbarian!

English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages supported.

You are an exile, outcast and downtrodden, sentenced to walk in a barbaric wasteland where the weak are crushed and only the strong can live. Here you must fight to survive, build, and dominate the world alone on your own server or with enemies and allies in online multiplayer.

Journey through a vast, seamless world filled with the ruins of ancient civilizations and uncover its dark history and buried secrets as you seek to conquer and dominate the exiled lands yourself. Start with nothing but your bare hands and forge the legacy of your clan, from simple tools and weapons to gigantic fortresses and entire cities. Enslave the bandits of the exiled lands to do your bidding by breaking them on the grueling Wheel of Pain. Sacrifice the beating hearts of your enemies on the blood-soiled altars of your god to seize true power and glory. Summon the colossal avatar of your god and see them lay waste to your enemies and their homes.

Just remember: in this brutal land of vengeful gods, bloodthirsty cannibals, and vicious monsters, survival is more than tracking down food and water. Explore mysterious ruins in search of treasure and knowledge, but beware the risk of your mind being corrupted by the dark forces of the world. Traverse vast sand dunes and seek shelter from scouring sandstorms sweeping across the burning sands. March into war against your enemies and unleash your savage fury in brutal combat. Go in unprepared and it will be your head rolling and limbs flying.

Conan Exiles is not an empty sandbox. It is a world rich in history where you must discover the knowledge and secrets of ancient civilizations as you struggle to build your own.
Also, according to the dev blog, in addition to the USD$29.99 standard edition there will be a USD$59.99 Barbarian Edition, because of course there is. :)
For true barbarians
We’re also excited to announce Conan Exiles – Barbarian Edition! This special edition of the game is the ultimate introduction to the world of Conan the Barbarian and includes items such as:
  • Custom Conan Exiles digital comic book
  • Exclusive Conan Exiles t-shirt
  • Six digital Conan the Avenger comic books from Dark Horse Comics
  • 368 page, full-color, digital Conan Pen & Paper RPG Core Book from the hugely successful Kickstarter by Modiphius
  • “The Coming of Conan” eBook, 496 pages with illustrations and original Conan stories
  • The award-winning soundtracks from Age of Conan and Rise of the Godslayer, plus the brand new Conan Exiles soundtracks
  • In-game items for the Age of Conan MMO including a Savage Rhino mount
  • “The Art of Conan Exiles” digital artbook
  • And more
For more detailed information on the Barbarian Edition, please visit the Steam store page. The standard edition of the game is priced at 29.99$ while the Barbarian Edition is priced at 59.99$.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking forward to it but wont be buying right away. It may be one of those that a year later they are giving it away because servers are empty.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Stream #5: World and Lore
Our fifth dev stream covers the lore and story aspects of Conan Exiles. Watch us try to discover the secrets of ancient stone tablets that once belong to a proud race ruling the Exiled Lands.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote:Stream #5: World and Lore
Our fifth dev stream covers the lore and story aspects of Conan Exiles. Watch us try to discover the secrets of ancient stone tablets that once belong to a proud race ruling the Exiled Lands.
Those are pretty interesting. Thats the first one Ive had time to watch the entire video of. Has promise but is awfully early it appears.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

What is best in life? To crush the bugs. To see cash from your wallet driven into a project before it is finished. To hear the lamentations of the early adopters.

19.3G download in progress...

morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote:What is best in life? To crush the bugs. To see cash from your wallet driven into a project before it is finished. To hear the lamentations of the early adopters.

19.3G download in progress...

Eagerly anticipating your lamentations.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've just been running it local/solo, and that's probably all I'll do for the time being.

Technically, it seems to run fine. I've only put a couple of hours into it, but it seems stable.

If there is one thing for me to lament, it would be that mob aggro is very sticky. If I try to run away and break off aggro, I usually run out of stamina and the mob still keeps on after me. For something minor, like an imp or single NPC, I can fight them with my trusty stone axe, but for something like a crocodile or group of NPCs, gaining aggro is pretty much a death sentence for me right now.

Oh, and the game does have full frontal nudity (complete with customizable endowment at character creation and realistic(?) dangly physics for the gentleman adventurer). I expect that PvPers can look forward to the most anatomically correct teabagging in the entire survival/crafting genre.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote:I've just been running it local/solo, and that's probably all I'll do for the time being.

Technically, it seems to run fine. I've only put a couple of hours into it, but it seems stable.

If there is one thing for me to lament, it would be that mob aggro is very sticky. If I try to run away and break off aggro, I usually runout of stamina and the mob still keeps on after me. For something minor, like an imp or single NPC, I can fight them with my trusty stone axe, but for something like a crocodile or group of NPCs, gaining aggro is pretty much a death sentence for me right now.

Oh, and the game does have full frontal nudity (complete with customizable endowment at character creation and realistic(?) dangly physics for the gentleman adventurer). I expect that PvPers can look forward to the most anatomically correct teabagging in the entire survival/crafting genre.

I got a feeling the well endowed dangly bits have something to do with the unrelenting aggro. Turn that down to a more modest 6 and see if that doesn't help. I totally read PvPers as Pervers. It fit better ;)

Keep us posted....I am more intrigued than ever for some reason. Seriously, this is the unintentionally funniest review ever. Funnier if you read the second paragraph first. Sticky aggro, I see what you did there. And Trusty Stone Axe is Conan for Penis, right? I can't quite figure out imp though.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sometimes an imp is just an imp. ;)

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Apparently you can decide on how well endowed you are

http://kotaku.com/new-conan-game-sure-h ... 1791800860
Rip

Post by Rip »

Now that would be pure developer evil if they made penile length/breast size inversely proportional to running speed.

:twisted:
morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote:Sometimes an imp is just an imp. ;)
HAHA.

Well played good sir!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finally made some headway this evening, but I had to resort to changing a server setting. By default, you drop your inventory on death and have to do a corpse run to recover your goods. However, I had a zero percent record of ever actually finding my corpse, which meant starting from scratch. On top of that, the game gives you one waterskin when you start a new character, and so far as I can tell you can only drink water from a waterskin, but not from a water source, so if you lose the waterskin and can't craft a new one, you will die of thirst even if you are standing in the middle of a lake. :)

So I started a new character and toggled off the option to drop inventory on death. Not so hardcore, obviously, but a lot less frustrating than getting caught in a death-spiral while learning the ropes.

Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

you can drink from water source, just interact. dying sucks, but if you hurry up and make a bed roll, it's a lot easier to find your body.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was sitting at home last night watching a very NSFW video of someone adjusting one of those floppy old ding dongs when my wife walked in on me. Needless to say, I had some hasty explainin' to do. :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:I finally made some headway this evening, but I had to resort to changing a server setting. By default, you drop your inventory on death and have to do a corpse run to recover your goods. However, I had a zero percent record of ever actually finding my corpse, which meant starting from scratch. On top of that, the game gives you one waterskin when you start a new character, and so far as I can tell you can only drink water from a waterskin, but not from a water source, so if you lose the waterskin and can't craft a new one, you will die of thirst even if you are standing in the middle of a lake. :)

So I started a new character and toggled off the option to drop inventory on death. Not so hardcore, obviously, but a lot less frustrating than getting caught in a death-spiral while learning the ropes.
Sounds a whole lot like ARK: Survival Evolved. I thought about picking it up, but I am hot and heavy into Long War 2 and that is going to keep me busy until Sniper Elite 4 hits in two weeks, which I have already paid for.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Harkonis wrote:you can drink from water source, just interact.
I tried that, but it didn't work. :think: Do you need to hold down the key and use the pop-up radial menu?

morlac

Post by morlac »

Laughing at this thread and drinking a couple beers + a $20 Steam credit made me press the buy button last night. I'm not a huge survival game fan, don't enjoy most EA games but whatever. My dangly bits will be all over Cimmeria this evening...once the wife and kid goto bed (thanks for the warning YK!) Imps, I will be bringing my Trusty Stone Axe. You have been warned.