Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by hepcat »

I make jokes in this thread about such things but I'm not actively running around in game making lewd comments to everyone. Nor am I doing anything other than making light of adult mods. If you read over my previous comments, there's nothing I'm doing in the actual game that isn't trumped by playing on a server that allows complete nudity, includes incredibly graphic representations of death, and promotes cannibalism. If you've gone down that road with your son, you've already surpassed anything I've done.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There are client side overrides to server nudity settings. I am ok with full nudity, but mom isn't so we play with nudity off. But yeah, this is america, murder is cool. I have snacked on the random human meat, but he won't do it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My point is that I highly doubt anyone here is planning on running a server for the game that is decked out with adult mods. We joke, but at the end of the day we're decent enough nerds.

...except Fitzy. That guy's blog makes Caligula's diary look like Anne of Green Gables.
Covfefe!
morlac

Post by morlac »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:30 pm I have some suggestions for adult mods that I've white boarded out for you. I also would like to set up some official zoning rules so that punks like Big T don't drive down my property values.
---Prays for a no pants zone---
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I've seen Watchmen a few times. If I had a lovingly rendered 3D junk quota, it's been filled.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Server is up.

Connection Info: 144.48.104.162:27059
Query Info: 144.48.104.162:27060

Password is "mute".

Since I'm inveterate tinkerer, I've already installed 3 mods for a game I've never played. It seems this game isn't as thoughtful as Ark, so it will bark at you and not let you connect if you don't have them enabled. Apologies. I'm not certain of the usefulness of the second two, but Pippi seems to provide some good quality of life features, so I think I'll keep it around, unless everyone just hates it.

The mods:

Pippi
LT's Farming
Exile Architect
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I love the quick leveling of a new character. It's addicting. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Tried to connect but kept getting a bad password error.
Covfefe!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Four letters, all lowercase?
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:28 pm My point is that I highly doubt anyone here is planning on running a server for the game that is decked out with adult mods. We joke, but at the end of the day we're decent enough nerds.

...except Fitzy. That guy's blog makes Caligula's diary look like Anne of Green Gables.
You found my blog? I didn’t think I’d ever linked it here... but thanks for the compliment. That reminds me, I think I need to update it. Maybe something about pants. 🤔

Also, I don’t actually use adult mods, though I follow the scene for work purposes. Sadly I’m entire serious, but I feel like I’m digging a hole here. So let me just firmly state that not only do I not use adult mods, I don’t even make dick jokes!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fretmute wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:13 pm Four letters, all lowercase?
Yeah, but I’ll try again later today. Could be just a connection error with the wrong error message or something.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The kid and I were both able to connect last night and I may have even snuck on for a bit this morning with no troubles... except learning the order of the mods is important. Who knew?

I can't remember if this is the 5th or 6th server I have played the game on, but in all but one of those starts I started building my "starter" base in the exact same spot every damn time. I really need to learn to try new things. I'm thinking about where to put the real base and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do it anywhere but where my main base is on the server I have just been playing on, despite all the negatives of that location (no flat ground, far from good thralls, far from any obelisks, far from any path to the desert). I guess Pippi makes distance from an obelisk pretty pointless with /home... I wonder if you can /home with a thrall in bindings? That might make things *too* easy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I just VPN'd into my home computer since no one is in the office yet and was able to connect after double checking the mods. For some reason, the exile architect mod was disabled. And instead of telling you that you have a problem with your mods, the game just gives you an authentication error telling you the server password is incorrect. Go figure. I created Hepcat the Pict. I'll log in tonight and try to find a sweet, sweet spot for Casa del Hepcat. Where the axes aren't the only thing swinging.
Covfefe!
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

My base placement in Ark has historically been driven 100% by scenic vistas. That’s actually the most annoying thing about Conan so far. This desert sucks.

I also get annoyed that the crafting skills are gated by level. They’re already gated by resources, so put the fancy stuff where I can’t possibly survive until I’m strong enough. Gating accomplished.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am Kyra Frostheart because I'd rather have bouncing boobs than swinging sausage and Frostheart is an old (MMO)RPG surname. My son is in as Spartan Wolf Frost Heart because... why not? We are the Knights of Dusk and masters of the server (you know, excepting Fret the admin and actual master of the server ;) ).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let me know what I can chip in to help out with the server cost if you plan on keeping it up.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fretmute wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:40 am My base placement in Ark has historically been driven 100% by scenic vistas. That’s actually the most annoying thing about Conan so far. This desert sucks.

I also get annoyed that the crafting skills are gated by level. They’re already gated by resources, so put the fancy stuff where I can’t possibly survive until I’m strong enough. Gating accomplished.
Explore young man. The map isn't all desert. There is significant woodland to the north, tundra to the far north, a volcano to the even farther north, grassland to the northwest, and jungle to the east.

As to leveling, keep an eye on the journey steps in the top right corner and you will be 60 in a week and then stuff will be gated by difficulty to obtain. The top end recipes are not on the feats screen, you have to find them (you know, or google them). It disappoints me a little bit that you generally don't even have to kill the bosses to get the recipes in their dungeons. You can generally just run past them and click a tablet or three. There are some bosses you have to kill for materials for some of the better recipes though. Before you do that, learn the ways of Set and craft some snake arrows.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

On the off chance I'm feeling social after a day of being social at work, I might hop on the server if that's okay.

Are you guys working together at all, or just setting up camps as you will?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just created a character, nothing else yet. I'll probably just be looking for a place to store my pants tonight. But if someone wants to create a clan, just let me know the name and I'll beg for acceptance.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm Are you guys working together at all, or just setting up camps as you will?
I created a clan with my son and I am happy to add anyone else if you want. Fret set the clan size to 30 so no worries about maxing out. Sharing the work and workstations and thralls and all makes everything much easier.

I've gotten characters to 60 on two different public servers and have done most of the end game stuff so if anyone has questions or needs help with anything I can probably help. I don't know the mod stuff at all though other than /sethome and /home from Pippi which is super useful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:23 pm I don't know the mod stuff at all though other than /sethome and /home from Pippi which is super useful.
Pippi adds a bunch of other things that facilitate admin type activities for private servers (i.e. I could delegate some admin like powers to people without giving them the admin password). It also adds the teleport ability that you've noted, and that can be expanded to allow teleportation to other players or specific points on the map based on your Pippi rank. It also allows me to generate loot boxes that folks can then spawn in for themselves, based on certain criteria that I can set up. I haven't really messed with the default settings yet, but I figured that the port stuff is handy.

The other two mods don't seem as useful. The second in the list adds some farming stuff, but I'm not familiar enough with the resource tree to know how great that is. The third adds some simple bridges and some snappable plumb lines that you can use to chiefly map out where the foundations for your giant base are going to end up.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It depends how high the farming goes. There really is *nothing* that is hard to come by in the end game. Demon blood is probably the worst of it that doesn't come from bosses, but I know where to pull in plenty of it and you really don't need all that much unless you are blowing up everything you see. I guess for some of the end game food recipes that use things like spicy peppers and eggs and such that might be handy to have easy access to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Enlarge Image
I found a wild hepcat's place!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I spent an hour last night running around gathering material for the first Casa del Hepcat, situated on a lovely island just a stone’s throw from the arts district.

p.s. I hope the music wasn't too loud. I had a small house warming party that grew out of control.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm confused by the disconnect between the mediocre reviews and the fun you guys are having. Someone tell me the (&**(#&( truth! :D

Seriously though, worth $24? If I'm going to buy it, I'd rather do so while it's on sale.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do you like crafting and base construction with the requirement that you murder things to feed your building fetish?

It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:15 pm Seriously though, worth $24?
It's far from perfect, but it's also a lot of fun *if* it is the kind of game you like. It's sort of like a grown-up's Minecraft. Did you play Ark? There are a lot of similarities, but you tame people rather than dinosaurs and there is no advanced technology (guns). The taming is also less involving. It still takes a while but you don't have to babysit. I am over 200 hours played and still having a lot of fun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I did like ARK and I'm a huge Conan fan so the theme is right. I also love Minecraft.Ok you twisted my arm. :P
morlac

Post by morlac »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:29 pm Yeah I did like ARK and I'm a huge Conan fan so the theme is right. I also love Minecraft.Ok you twisted my arm. :P
You should love it then. I love Conan but don't like the genre much as I suck at the build your own place games. Still, I've gotten my moneys worth just goofing around and smashing things. I find it oddly relaxing. I will join the server tonight and begin building the ugliest shanty town you have ever seen! Feel free to come on over and hang your pants on the door. Provided I can figure out how to build one. Just kidding, I can build doors. Roofs on the other hand....shudder.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:29 pm Yeah I did like ARK and I'm a huge Conan fan so the theme is right. I also love Minecraft.Ok you twisted my arm. :P
Every time the game is loading and the music comes on, I have the sudden urge to put on a loincloth and fight giant snakes. It is a bit relaxing (in a weird way) to just build stuff, yes.

I don't have quite the experience in playing these types of games as others do, but I'm enjoying it. Lots to see and explore. For example, I just discovered iron ore. Like...dedicated iron-rich stones. I'm currently using bone and stone weapons. This...will change everything.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:59 pm I don't have quite the experience in playing these types of games as others do, but I'm enjoying it. Lots to see and explore. For example, I just discovered iron ore. Like...dedicated iron-rich stones. I'm currently using bone and stone weapons. This...will change everything.
Did you know there are areas in the game that are NOT desert? Just wondering.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

This thread makes me want to buy it, but reading reviews at IGN who scores high, and Gamespot, has me thinking STAY AWAY. (Gamespot gave it a 3, and IGN 6.7)

Do you think 2 hours would be enough to know if I'd like it? I'll fully take advantage of the return policy on steam.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

naednek wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 pm This thread makes me want to buy it, but reading reviews at IGN who scores high, and Gamespot, has me thinking STAY AWAY. (Gamespot gave it a 3, and IGN 6.7)
Wow, that Gamespot review is crap. It certainly has it's flaws, but it's not a 3/10 game by any stretch.
naednek wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 pm Do you think 2 hours would be enough to know if I'd like it? I'll fully take advantage of the return policy on steam.
Yeah, most likely. It plays very similarly to Ark, but using Conan lore. There's definitely a lot more to it than you can see in 2 hours, but that's probably enough to at least give you a taste of the environment and mechanics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:31 pmDid you know there are areas in the game that are NOT desert? Just wondering.
If I have to put on pants, I'm not going there. It's a philosophy I've tried to hold to in real life as well.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:28 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:23 pm Do you think 2 hours would be enough to know if I'd like it? I'll fully take advantage of the return policy on steam.
Yeah, most likely. It plays very similarly to Ark, but using Conan lore. There's definitely a lot more to it than you can see in 2 hours, but that's probably enough to at least give you a taste of the environment and mechanics.
What you might not see in two hours of play is the variety of biomes and exploring all of the cool stuff you can build and the bits of lore littered about the world or the bigger NPC camps/cities and the boss monsters and dungeons and all the cool armor sets and thralls. Yeah, there is a lot you won't see in the first couple hours, but you will get an idea of the basic gather, craft, build, kill gameplay.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I have been playing for 12 hours now and I'm still in the same general starting area (along river, just after starting desert). I feel like I've already extracted the $2 an hour I've paid to play it. Everything now is just gravy. :D Well, not human gravy. I'm not a cannibal like Hepcat or Coop.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and now we know how you just now discovered ironstone nodes. Get thee north young man.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's scary up north. Hyenas. Rock rhino thingies. Giant scorpions.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:40 pm I'm not a cannibal like Hepcat or Coop.
Don't attack our firmly held religious beliefs!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone has made a good point about the nature of the game. It's almost a zen like experience at times, it allows you to be creative, and it includes the chance to eat other humans.

However, since fretmute removed the constant fear of pantslessness on his server, the game really shines for me in one very specific area:

making tables.

Round tables, square tables, oval tables, wood tables, rock tables...my God, a table enthusiast could spend years just designing tables.

If you do decide to join up with us, don't be surprised when one day you stumble upon an entire island covered in tables...and me, sitting contentedly in the center of all this table goodness, eating Coop.
Covfefe!