Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait a second...you can fight so hard in this game that your clothes break and fall off mid fight? I wasn't really interested in this, but suddenly this sounds much more fun.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup. This game has everything. An endowment slider on the character creation screen? Check. Piles of naked people just lying around unconscious? Check. Pants that fly off mid battle? Check and mate.

I have become Shiva, the destroyer of pants.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been a gamer for 35+ years at this point, and never in all my time have I ever played a game where combat is so intense that my clothes might fall off. That's...amazing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And you can make lamps.
Covfefe!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Excluding hepcat's genitals, I'm sort of intrigued by this game. How is it for solo play? The stories I'm seeing are similar to LitRPG which is often amusing if light reading. I should just say no given the lack of playable mages, but the game is drawing me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have 141 hours in the game now, mostly solo. I have a clan of 3 people but one is my son who mostly just messes around and gets killed and the other person hasn't logged on in a week. You can do pretty much everything solo and depending on the server you are playing on you may or may not suffer for it. It can get kind of boring if you are playing local or on a dead server. On the other hand it can get kind of annoying if you are on a server full of jerks, even it is PVE. It is obviously how jerks can mess with you on PVP servers, but it can be more frustrating on PVE. On PVE, other players can block all of the convenient paths to move through the areas. This can be problem because you want thralls to augment your crafting and defensive capabilities in various ways, but you can't climb while dragging a thrall back to base, so open routes are necessary.

At the heart it is just another crafting survival game and you need to be ok with playing sandbox and setting your own goals for gameplay. Normally this doesn't work for me, but I have been enjoying it so far. I am starting to lose interest a bit and am mostly just playing to play with my son, but after 140+ hours, I think that is ok. It is not pure sandbox, they have a "Journey" system that basically gives you a bunch of tasks to complete that give nice xp rewards that basically always give you something to do next.. at least until you complete it. I have about 25 things left on the journey to complete.

Green Man had a 25% off coupon that worked on the game recently. I am not sure if they still have it. You are more than welcome to join my son and I (official PVP server 1515). We can help you out with whatever you need and we have a good sized top-tier base with some room to grow that can keep you relatively safe. :D
hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 pm Anyway, back to serious stuff. I couldn’t log into my server for a few hours this morning. First time I’ve had that happen.
That happened to me one night last week, most everyone was unable to get on the server for a couple hours. They have a page to report that kind of issue. It can be annoying if you are laying out in the open on a PVP server, but anything you have can be replaced. That was the only time in the months that I have been playing this that I have had any such issue.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 pm And you can make lamps.
I'm pretty sure this game has rocketed to the front line. I just need to argue with my ISP some more and it can officially happen.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I built a 2 story house this afternoon...then decided to build bridges to every plateau near me for no reason. Now I can run around above everyone like the God King I am. Although I did try to jump from one of the bridges onto an NPC to see what would happen. Short version: I died. But my pants remained on.

I also built a comically oversized alligator head trophy for my wall. I like to pretend that if I push a button on its plaque, it sings Islands in the Stream.

Tomorrow I think I’m finally going to try to make it to the nameless city.

I’m packing extra pants though.

Oh, and I’m usually on official server 1512. I think I’m going to create a clan. I’m torn between calling it “Pants for the memory” or “Bob”.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“Richard Robert”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pudding lovers of Hyboria?

The Kenny Loggins Danger Crew?

Barbarian Mouseketeers?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Take Your Pants Down...to the River
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Non genital based question: how the fudge do you knock out exiles so you can make thralls out of them? I made the truncheon and snare you’re supposed to use, but both times I’ve worn an exile down to a small amount of health, started whaling on them with my baton of beatings...only to have them literally explode on me. I may not understand the game mechanics, but I assume enslaving someone’s bloody torso isn’t terribly conducive to setting up a functional economy.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Only attack them with the truncheon. If you get their health too low, you will kill them with the truncheon. When you attack with the truncheon you will see a thin line above the health bar that is their concussion damage bar. When that goes to zero they collapse unconscious, then you equip the bindings, target and activate on the body and drag them to your wheel of pain. If you climb, swim or equip anything to your off hand (shield or torch), you will lose the thrall, so make sure you have a path to the wheel that doesn't require any of those things.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:50 pm I have 141 hours in the game now, mostly solo. I have a clan of 3 people but one is my son who mostly just messes around and gets killed and the other person hasn't logged on in a week. You can do pretty much everything solo and depending on the server you are playing on you may or may not suffer for it. It can get kind of boring if you are playing local or on a dead server. On the other hand it can get kind of annoying if you are on a server full of jerks, even it is PVE. It is obviously how jerks can mess with you on PVP servers, but it can be more frustrating on PVE. On PVE, other players can block all of the convenient paths to move through the areas. This can be problem because you want thralls to augment your crafting and defensive capabilities in various ways, but you can't climb while dragging a thrall back to base, so open routes are necessary.

At the heart it is just another crafting survival game and you need to be ok with playing sandbox and setting your own goals for gameplay. Normally this doesn't work for me, but I have been enjoying it so far. I am starting to lose interest a bit and am mostly just playing to play with my son, but after 140+ hours, I think that is ok. It is not pure sandbox, they have a "Journey" system that basically gives you a bunch of tasks to complete that give nice xp rewards that basically always give you something to do next.. at least until you complete it. I have about 25 things left on the journey to complete.

Green Man had a 25% off coupon that worked on the game recently. I am not sure if they still have it. You are more than welcome to join my son and I (official PVP server 1515). We can help you out with whatever you need and we have a good sized top-tier base with some room to grow that can keep you relatively safe. :D
Thank you for the info and offer. If I succumb to the lure of the pants it will be during a sale. But real life travel plans will keep me from starting any time soon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm Only attack them with the truncheon.
Ah, I did not see the second bar you mention. Also, I think I need to put more points into strength as my damage with the truncheon is minimal. It's like attacking a boxer with a carrot at this point.

I got my copy using the greenmangaming coupon mentioned. Then 3 days later, it went on sale on Xbox One for the same price I paid. I would've preferred building lamps and trashing pants from the comfort of my own couch. :cry:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am
coopasonic wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm Only attack them with the truncheon.
Ah, I did not see the second bar you mention. Also, I think I need to put more points into strength as my damage with the truncheon is minimal. It's like attacking a boxer with a carrot at this point.

I got my copy using the greenmangaming coupon mentioned. Then 3 days later, it went on sale on Xbox One for the same price I paid. I would've preferred building lamps and trashing pants from the comfort of my own couch. :cry:
Put the 10 points in that get you double concussive damage perk. You don't need anything beyond that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

So I was thinking about getting this, and since I don't trust randos on the internet, I was planning on renting my own server, so I checked out the workshop page to see what sorts of mods are running about . . . and one of the most subscribed mods is called "Breast Physics."
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

It's just a gateway mod, there's far better/worse (depending on inclination) out there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, lost my pants again. A skeleton in the nameless city cut me down pretty quickly and then I woke up naked again. It’s surprising how well this game mirrors my life.
Covfefe!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So is this game fun at all for a solo player who doesn't know anyone? I dont like roaming around not being able to find stuff to do and then dying to a pk repeatedly. I can handle a few deaths but not simply dying over and over and no way to defend myself.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

1 more day!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

huh?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Purchased yesterday from Fantatical for cheaper than on STEAM. Download will be finished tomorrow! Woo-hoo!

My life's a lie, I'm not who you're looking at
Let me out, set me free, I'm really old
This isn't me
My real body's slowing dying in a vat
Is anybody listening, can anyone understand
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:29 pm So is this game fun at all for a solo player who doesn't know anyone? I dont like roaming around not being able to find stuff to do and then dying to a pk repeatedly. I can handle a few deaths but not simply dying over and over and no way to defend myself.
It's fun for me solo, but that doesn't mean it would be fun for YOU solo. There are pure PvE servers where other players can't hurt you, but the game world still can (and will).hepcat is playing on one of those. You can also play solo on your local machine but that's kind of boring in my opinion. On PvP servers, it really depends on who is on the server whether you get PKed all the time or it is more chill. My server is chill to the point of near death now. It was pretty hopping when I joined it but I think people are getting bored overall. My son still likes it so I keep playing with him.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The game is fun solo on a PvE server, but I’m sure it’s even more fun with others. I’m on server 1512 right now, but I may start a new character on a PvP server to see what it’s like.

Tonight a spent about 10 straight minutes chasing a damn gazelle. Who does that? But man, I want a sweet, sweet gazelle head to go next to my comically oversized croc bust in my barbarian bachelor pad, where the drinks aren’t the only thing that’s cool.

I also like that this one of the only games I’ve ever played in which I can accidentally eat human flesh.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stil lcant decide..and while looking I see Galactic Crew, Flashback, and Windward are all under $5
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Do any of those offer the promise of accidental cannibalism?

<drops mic>
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My wife is on 1591, PvP, under my tag.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:22 am Do any of those offer the promise of accidental cannibalism?

<drops mic>
Nope. But I also worry that no matter how hard I fight my pants wont break and fall off. Can I get a refund if that doesn't happen?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can guarantee that at some point you’ll be pantsless from exertion. This game has a pants breaking algorithm built in that measures exertion to inseam ratio and acts accordingly.

Last night I came across a legendary crocodile. I didn’t even realize the game HAD legendary creatures. The damn thing was immense. I attacked it, not realizing it had like 45,000 hit points or something. When I noticed it had eaten up an entire half of my health bar in one chomp, I ran like hell. No way was I going back to a pantsless state again.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had 2 GB to go last night but this morning it's starting over from 0. I f'ing give up.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I grabbed this during the sale, even though I can’t play for weeks it shall join all the other unplayed games in my steam list.

Anyway, I haven’t done much serious looking into the game, mostly jumping on due to descriptions here and elsewhere, but I was wondering if it used the DPS/Healer/Tank thingie of other MMOs?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, it’s not really an mmorpg. At its core, it’s a crafting game like Ark.

But with accidental cannibalism.
Covfefe!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

hepcat wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:45 am No, it’s not really an mmorpg. At its core, it’s a crafting game like Ark.

But with accidental cannibalism.
Ok, that makes sense. I’ve been thinking of it as an MMO, with crafting.

I feel even better about my purchase. And I play Rimworld, cannibalism is just another way to survive.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You can build for DPS vs tank, but there isn't really a healer unless you count a guy that crafts bandages. You can drag around a dancer thrall for healing if you want but thrall pathing is pretty terrible. It's pretty much a mass murder and enslavement simulator. My son and I just swept through two of the largest encampments and racked up around 180 NPC kills to harvest parts to venerate the gods. It paid off with a *really* nice dagger.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Conan Exiles just passed The Witcher 3 to become my 3rd most played game on steam at 185 hours. I should stop playing one of these days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I think about playing a new game I think of this one. Its always on my mind. Then I think well its probably not worth $23. It will be on a better sale one day. But then no one you know will be playing it. Its ok at least Im saving money.Idiot you have the cash once you straighten out the bank and insurance error. But I may not like it. I bet Id like crafting. Stop it. Now you're typing your thoughts on the OO board. Ooops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For a game with a pants based economy, it’s pretty fun.
Covfefe!