Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Tacet, in his infinite Gems of War wisdom, has a video on Kingdom quest order, if you are into that kind of methodical approach. I think the game is just as fun without too much, strategy, but everyone is different. At this stage, I don't see me playing TOO much longer (couple months maybe?), so I am delving into the specific tips and strategies. I guess I have crossed from the fun, whimsical, "no idea what I'm doing, but enjoying the hell out of it" phase, into the "I want to be a badass!" phase. That requires some...homework. :D

All that with the disclaimer that you will be able to stand Tacet's intro...yell, which is an unholy hybrid of Mrs. Doubtfire's hellOOOOOOO!" with a "Welcome to Moe's!!" greeting. I literally cringe every time I hear it. :D

So i have given up on a team solely consisting of Glacier Peak troops...either I don't have the troops necessary to build such a team (probable), or my dislike of frost and its effect gets in the way of thinking I have a good team, or one that is fun to play (latter is most impt to me at this point).

So I switched to an all beast team to take advantage of the weekly 'special'. I did keep Winter Wolf, as he seems pretty good. As always, if someone has a suggestion on a better build, or better synergy (or even order), please speak up!

New team:

Winter Wolf
Yeti (also GP troop)
Fire Lizard
Spirit Fox
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Should I be saving Guild Seals or using them to buy chests? Are they used for anything else? I have been getting them as guild rewards for tasks I had nothing to do with completing so saving them up to contribute to something later would be cool.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Remus West wrote:Should I be saving Guild Seals or using them to buy chests? Are they used for anything else? I have been getting them as guild rewards for tasks I had nothing to do with completing so saving them up to contribute to something later would be cool.
Only spend guild seals when the guild has hit 10k seals for the weak. This gives you a (slim) chance at getting mythic and legendary cards.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

coopasonic wrote:
Remus West wrote:Should I be saving Guild Seals or using them to buy chests? Are they used for anything else? I have been getting them as guild rewards for tasks I had nothing to do with completing so saving them up to contribute to something later would be cool.
Only spend guild seals when the guild has hit 10k seals for the weak. This gives you a (slim) chance at getting mythic and legendary cards.
So what was the "unused" seals I got Monday from?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Maybe seals you earned but failed to collect?

We all got seals for the guild's PvP performance, plus your regular seals for winning matches, gaining levels, etc.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

coopasonic wrote:Maybe seals you earned but failed to collect?

We all got seals for the guild's PvP performance, plus your regular seals for winning matches, gaining levels, etc.
Ah. Alright. It doesn't show those seals in my weekly total either so......
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

What's puzzling to me is how I'm at level 30 and the best weapon for my hero is still the crude club, which does 5 damage for only 4 red.
Seems very odd to me.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stimpy wrote:What's puzzling to me is how I'm at level 30 and the best weapon for my hero is still the crude club, which does 5 damage for only 4 red.
Seems very odd to me.
Wow! I think I had a better weapon maybe 5 or 6 levels in. I don't know how many I have right now. Using yellow weapons to try and unlock the Priest's special weapon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I haven't used my hero since my first week because the weapons are lackluster. I haven't looked at what I have since. I have the Warlord legendary weapon, but I was underwhelmed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

coopasonic wrote:I haven't used my hero since my first week because the weapons are lackluster. I haven't looked at what I have since. I have the Warlord legendary weapon, but I was underwhelmed.
Huh....I can swap out my hero!! Who da thunk it???

Also is it right that when I gain a level sometimes, I don't actually gain any attribute points?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The necromancer's legendary weapon is very nice. Creeping Death. With mine fully leveled, when I fire it off it does 20 damage to all opponents and death marks two of them ( the strongest and the weakest by health I believe ). The death marks instakill as well.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Tao

Post by Tao »

There are two ways to gain new/better weapons. One is to unlock the various classes, make the class your active class then play 250 matches. The other way is by leveling gem affinity, I believe the game calls it Mastery. When you gain a new hero level you are normally presented with two gem colors, whichever one you choose will level that colors mastery by 1 level. When you attain enough levels in a particular color you gain a new weapon of that color. If you have been leveling your Mastery evenly from color to color it may take quite a while to unlock new weapons.

You will not receive a stat point for every level up. The higher you level the less frequent you will gain points. I don't recall seeing a stat increase in probably 50 levels or more.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

What all do I spend Glory on?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Tao wrote:The other way is by leveling gem affinity, I believe the game calls it Mastery. When you gain a new hero level you are normally presented with two gem colors, whichever one you choose will level that colors mastery by 1 level. When you attain enough levels in a particular color you gain a new weapon of that color.
Any idea how many is "enough" levels? We talking closer to 50 or 500?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It looks like 30-40 levels for the most part.

http://gems-of-war.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Remus West wrote:What all do I spend Glory on?
The best thing to spend glory on is the weekly glory chest that holds new troops and a bunch of traitstones. You can find them in the rewards tab.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

rshetts2 wrote:
Remus West wrote:What all do I spend Glory on?
The best thing to spend glory on is the weekly glory chest that holds new troops and a bunch of traitstones. You can find them in the rewards tab.
Spoils of war or the special packs (Frost Lizard this week)?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The special pack. Every week it has a new troop, some weeks there are two different packs. This week is indeed the frost lizard.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Which I am not impressed by. I've tried using him multiple times, but just not feeling it, and have since bounced him from my weekly 'A-team'
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i love treasure maps. That's all i do. Usually am able to get over 60+ and generally over 100 in terms of turns. So its not advice on how to play it, i think i do well enough. Though I dont mind hearing other folks tips. Problem is i run out of treasure maps too quick (for my tastes). I have a team of the following:

-The hero's Club (Red- hits target of choice for x damage)
-Tau (Blue & yellow)
Tiry (green & Moon)
-Dragon (moon & black) forget this guys name, but he strips armor, converts those to skulls and bam. Legendary toon.

I am looking for a better team to work with to try to farm treasure maps. That's all I want the best suggestions that you can give for teams to partner up with Tiry so that i can farm maps quickly.

I have enough souls and such to level a team provided I have the troops.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

According to Mrs. Tacetfire, that ideal treasure map farming team is:

Goblin Shaman
Dryad
Tyri
Giant Spider
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Carpet_pissr wrote:According to Mrs. Tacetfire, that ideal treasure map farming team is:

Goblin Shaman
Dryad
Tyri
Giant Spider

Where did you pick up that nugget of info? And is that the placement order also?
Bayraktar!!!!

Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Too bad you can't trade treasure maps. I don't really care for them much and have over 600 last I checked, I believe.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Newcastle wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:According to Mrs. Tacetfire, that ideal treasure map farming team is:

Goblin Shaman
Dryad
Tyri
Giant Spider

Where did you pick up that nugget of info? And is that the placement order also?
One of the hundreds (I think literally hundreds, not exaggerating) of Tacet videos about the game. And yes, that is the suggested order as well.

I actually didn't watch the whole video, since I was just trying to find out a "treasure map" team...so I can't speak to usage. It does generally yield me 4-6 maps per game though, and I have not bothered to level up any one of the members very high (all are less than level 10). Not sure why the Giant spider is in there, but the other non-Tyri cards feed her spell so she can cast as much as possible. I guess the spider is there to let you keep playing longer when you lose the shaman. The baby spider it spawns keeps Tyri buffered from 1st slot attacks.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

tried em yesterday, very good team to roll with. Just need to find good farming locations. Downside to the team is they can only do damage on skulls.
Bayraktar!!!!

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Newcastle wrote:tried em yesterday, very good team to roll with. Just need to find good farming locations. Downside to the team is they can only do damage on skulls.
Are you farming for maps or trying to win the fight? Once you get to the 10 maps it looks like is the max do you care if you win or lose?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

In total contrast to last week's bonus kingdom and cards, this week's seems almost crazy overpowered!

Of course it depends on the cards you have, but I built a very solid team right away, and doubt I will be juggling much to find good synergy.

First tried:

Archon Statue
High Paladin
Priestess
Bishop

Now:
Archon Statue
High paladin
Grand Inquisitor
Bishop

Ridiculously powerful.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So do you guys just have loads of souls hanging around that you can use to level these units quickly?

I spent all of mine trying to get my "A" team leveled, and have nothing left to dump into getting a separate team up to speed that will likely only be good for a week.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Skinypupy wrote:So do you guys just have loads of souls hanging around that you can use to level these units quickly?
Yeah, I had about 110,000 at the beginning of the week.
Carpet_pissr wrote:Now:
Archon Statue
High paladin
Grand Inquisitor
Bishop
I'm trying a new team that's very similar:

High Paladin
Bishop
Grand Inquisitor

Insane damage.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote:I spent all of mine trying to get my "A" team leveled, and have nothing left to dump into getting a separate team up to speed that will likely only be good for a week.
Remember this game has been out for a LONG time. If you don't change your team much the souls will just pile up.

I have one team that is leveled up and that makes it hard to use anything else knowing I can't just jump to max.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

FYI If anyone has a Crimson Bat they need traited the arcane stone for it is in one of this weeks chests.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

coopasonic wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:I spent all of mine trying to get my "A" team leveled, and have nothing left to dump into getting a separate team up to speed that will likely only be good for a week.
Remember this game has been out for a LONG time. If you don't change your team much the souls will just pile up.

I have one team that is leveled up and that makes it hard to use anything else knowing I can't just jump to max.
This - plus there's lots of ways to get them if you aren't using them. We must get at least 1,000/week from Guild tasks, I have a soul stone farmer on my A team (Banshee) so most matches, if I get to activate his ability twice, combined with the best armor (that most of us have), I get 72 souls/match. Treasure maps (wife usually plays a few of those for me every week), tribute (most of us have all our kingdoms maxed out at 10 and several giving double chance at tribute and double bonus), PVP and levels, the new Guild War rewards...

If you aren't using those for leveling people you are using, they pile up fast. I have nearly 12k and I just burned up most of mine 2-3 weeks ago. I use mine around the 12k point to try to get another kingdom to 5 gold stars. With the Whitehelm troops for bonuses this week and I bought the High Paladin 6 times so I could ascend him once, then max leveled him - gonna try to push Whitehelm to 5 gold stars now. That will give all my troops 1 extra point of armor.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Remus West wrote:
Newcastle wrote:tried em yesterday, very good team to roll with. Just need to find good farming locations. Downside to the team is they can only do damage on skulls.
Are you farming for maps or trying to win the fight? Once you get to the 10 maps it looks like is the max do you care if you win or lose?
Farm it. But when i first took the team out for a spin, i noticed they had almost zero offense and you have to rely on skulls to do the damage. Which is fine, since they have some crazy life generating abilities. So far been a very effective combo though I will say that.

I think the max for maps is 20 in a game though.
Bayraktar!!!!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wait, so is banshee the soul farmer champ? I thought that was Valkyrie?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Regarding the benefits (a plus to souls, gold, etc.) from Dragon or Celestial armor. They apply as long as you have it equipped, correct? Or does the hero need to be a member of your active group?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Wait, so is banshee the soul farmer champ? I thought that was Valkyrie?
Actually, it's the Dragon Soul. He's how I got so many souls.
Skinypupy wrote:Regarding the benefits (a plus to souls, gold, etc.) from Dragon or Celestial armor. They apply as long as you have it equipped, correct?
Correct. You do not have to use the hero on a team, just have the armor equipped.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

ColdSteel wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Wait, so is banshee the soul farmer champ? I thought that was Valkyrie?
Actually, it's the Dragon Soul. He's how I got so many souls.
Per magic ability use:
Dragon Soul - 15 souls
Valkyrie - 19 souls
Banshee - 21 souls

Caveat - my dragon soul is only Legendary, Level 5 - don't know if that will go up when mythic/max level. My Valkyrie and Banshee are both mythic/L20.

At the end of the day though - if you win, you are getting 4 and no matter what you do, you can only get 40 for the match (the armor bonus is based is factored after the match - so you can exceed 40 with that). That means a winning match - 2 uses of Banshee or Valkyrie, 3 uses of Dragon Soul and you're max'd for the match.
Tao

Post by Tao »

They re-jiggered several cards a few months ago and added or re-arranged some of the Traits to have +50% souls per battle which will push it over 40. Additionally if you up the difficulty you can increase soul rewards (and XP and gold). When I use my soul team my max soul count goes to 0/60 and If I max I walk away with 138 souls for the match.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Tao wrote:They re-jiggered several cards a few months ago and added or re-arranged some of the Traits to have +50% souls per battle which will push it over 40. Additionally if you up the difficulty you can increase soul rewards (and XP and gold). When I use my soul team my max soul count goes to 0/60 and If I max I walk away with 138 souls for the match.
Wasn't considering the 50% booster cards, that's a good point.

The difficulty is only a factor when questing. Does not apply when PVP-ing (which is mostly all I do). Think Valkyrie was so big before because it also was a 50% booster or something like that. Made it the #1 soul gatherer at the time (or at least the best of the easy to get soul gatherers).
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Newcastle wrote:

Goblin Shaman
Dryad
Tyri
Giant Spider

One of the hundreds (I think literally hundreds, not exaggerating) of Tacet videos about the game. And yes, that is the suggested order as well.

I actually didn't watch the whole video, since I was just trying to find out a "treasure map" team...so I can't speak to usage. It does generally yield me 4-6 maps per game though, and I have not bothered to level up any one of the members very high (all are less than level 10). Not sure why the Giant spider is in there, but the other non-Tyri cards feed her spell so she can cast as much as possible. I guess the spider is there to let you keep playing longer when you lose the shaman. The baby spider it spawns keeps Tyri buffered from 1st slot attacks.
Giant Spider is there for its swarm but also for its ability to change gems to purple which Tyri can then power up with.

So, after I get the Dragon Armor what do I do with Gems?

Also, how do I change the weapon my hero uses in the arena?