Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

persself

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by persself »

Stopped by to announce I left QT3 guild; am going to try one that's a little more active.

Thanks for the initial invite. Good luck !
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Good luck to you in your new home. TBH, I was on the verge of doing the same, but then I had guildmaster dumped on me.:)

Now I'm not nearly as active as I had been as that stage and am glad that I'm in our semi casual guild.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
PLW

Post by PLW »

I built a new team featuring the Forest Troll + Gloom Leaf, and no hero, and I'm enjoying it greatly. It punches way above my class. I just beat someone in our Guild War who had twice my gearscore. Of course, if the combos don't come, I lose bigly.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Are we going to get 10k again? We're pretty close!
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Glory chests this week give 2 Arcane Lava Stones. Great for traiting out Elemaugrim if you were able to get him a while back.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone have a good yellow team they want to share for Guild Wars?

I created a bunch of counter teams (anti-dragon, anti-knight, anti-undead), but have not really explored using color-specific teams for GW (maybe one of the reasons I rarely go 5-0 all week)
PLW

Post by PLW »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Anyone have a good yellow team they want to share for Guild Wars?

I created a bunch of counter teams (anti-dragon, anti-knight, anti-undead), but have not really explored using color-specific teams for GW (maybe one of the reasons I rarely go 5-0 all week)
Does color-specific help performance, or is it just good for points?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

PLW wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Anyone have a good yellow team they want to share for Guild Wars?

Does color-specific help performance, or is it just good for points?
It helps mostly with Guild Wars, since every day is a different color boost. Today's Guild Wars color is yellow, so when fighting, you get an extra bonus when matching that color. Many players will make a team of 4 troops that all use yellow today, for instance, to take advantage of that.

I just sorted my list on level and yellow, and created this team to try:

Fire Lizard (feeds Fire Lizard)
Dryad (feeds Famine)
Banshee (feeds Fire Lizard)
Famine
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'd definitely be interested in a discussion of various color teams. My yellow team is by far my weakest, so I don't even want to kick things off there.

Best if folks had 4-to-a-color on their team, but I'm certainly willing to roll with 3-of-the-color teams as well.

To kick things off, here are mine:

Red (3-color):
Spoiler:
Soothsayer
Valkyrie
Crimson Bat
Crimson Bat
Purple (3-color, with hero):
Spoiler:
Hero (Morthani's Scythe)
Morthani's Will
Banshee
Giant Spider
Things start to drop off for me after these two.

Brown (3-color):
Spoiler:
Lady Ironbeard
Deep Borer
Ancient Horror
Ettin
Blue (4-color), too much color overlap -- really only using the first two troops together:
Spoiler:
Queen Ysabelle
Rowanne
Justice
Warlock
Green (4-color), very nearly the same as the Blue setup, with the same caveat:
Spoiler:
Queen Ysabelle
Rowanne
Treant
Gloom Leaf
Yellow isn't even worth posting, as it's crap.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Here are some other yellows I have seen online that seem to be popular:

Death Knight hero, yellow weapon
Princess Elspeth
Famine
Abynissia

Gorgotha
The Devoted
Elven Bard

I have neither Gorgotha nor Gard's Avatar, nor Abynissia, so these teams won't work for me.

Or:

Gorgotha
Terraxis
Famine
Abynissia

Gorgotha
Moloch
Hellcat
Abynissia
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cool, thanks.

No Famine, Gard's Avatar, or Abynissia here, so those none of those teams (nor your team) would work for me.

I just played my yellow team and it wasn't as horrible as I remember. Maybe folks with basic troops (such as mine) would find this useful?
Tau
Rakshanin (these two play off each other, get the browns to activate Rakshanin early and set Tau up for a kill and the boost to stats to make Tau a skull killer)
Infernal King (you need purples to activate IK, which rarely happens for me, but it can be a board changer in the right circumstance)
Dimetraxia (the burning bit and the extra skull damage to the burning enemies sometimes comes in handy at the end of a protracted board).

I use the Divinion Banner (+1 Yellow/+1 Purple) with this team, but in retrospect having a +1 to Blue or Brown would be better than the Purple.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's green day - I'm trying your green team above, Neal. If it doesn't work well for me, I'm coming after you.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Well, it didn't work for me. :(
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not a great start for me either this week. 4-1, 4-1

Though I think once I start leveling and traiting my color coded teams, I'm hoping for some 5-0 weeks.

Went up against a team today that had a 9,400 power rating. No way am I going to beat that. I think my best fielded team to date has a 7,400 power rating.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Fantastic green team:

Giant Spider
Kraken
Giant spider
Kraken

Blue/green banner

That team is crazy good
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alas I am sans Kraken.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cortilian wrote:Fantastic green team:

Giant Spider
Kraken
Giant spider
Kraken

Blue/green banner

That team is crazy good
That is ridiculous! Thanks for the heads-up. Any other colors you'd like to share?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

My current GW lineup:

Yellow:
Gorgotha
Moloch
Famine
Celestasia
Blue-Brown Banner
Pretty happy with that team. Celestasia feeds gorgotha who feeds everyone else. Moloch for fast true damage and drain. Famine for passive and huge mana drain

Brown:
Gorgotha
Emp Khorvash
Kerberos
Sylvanimora
Brown-Yellow banner
OK with this team. Gorgotha feeds everyone. EK and Kerb Kill. Sylv for entangle and feeding the top 3.

Red:
Carnex
Crimson Bat
Valkyrie
Crimson Bat
Double yellow banner
Good team. Carnex for blocking and occasional boom, Valk to feed Crimson bat. Crimson bat kills everyone.

Purple:
Carnex
Kraken
Infernal King
Elemaugrim
+2 yellow, +1 green banner
Good team. Carnex for armor and occasional boom. IK feeds carnex. Kraken and elemaugrim for damage.

Green:
Giant Spider
Kraken
Giant spider
Kraken
Blue/green banner
Devastating team. GS feeds Kraken who feeds GS. Many, many games where the other side never gets a turn.

Blue:
Visk
Dryad
Emp Korv
Apothecary
+2 geeen banner
Good team. Visk blocks and does great damage. Dryad feeds Apothecary and heals, Apothecary feeds EK who kills everyone.

Least happy with my brown team. Need better.

Defense:
EK
Mercy
Famine
Valkyrie
Blue-Brown banner
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

The Meal wrote:
Cortilian wrote:Fantastic green team:

Giant Spider
Kraken
Giant spider
Kraken

Blue/green banner

That team is crazy good
That is ridiculous! Thanks for the heads-up. Any other colors you'd like to share?
That was a good team. Only played 2 rounds tonight, that team for one. My main team for the other...

Emp Korvasch
Carnex
Tyri
Banshee

Because... I GOT MY 6TH EK! He's MYTHIC NOW!!! :) :) :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Huge update dropped today. Knew about dungeons and crafting, but mega troops and level 40? Yay! Also looks like a dwarf team is viable now due to trait changes for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Huge update dropped today. Knew about dungeons and crafting, but mega troops and level 40? Yay! Also looks like a dwarf team is viable now due to trait changes for them.

AI has also been updated. I've seen the AI skipping skull matches in favor of more favorable color matches. It just got a lot harder.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Cortilian wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Huge update dropped today. Knew about dungeons and crafting, but mega troops and level 40? Yay! Also looks like a dwarf team is viable now due to trait changes for them.

AI has also been updated. I've seen the AI skipping skull matches in favor of more favorable color matches. It just got a lot harder.
Yep, in one fell swoop, this has screwed my prime team big time. I relied on leaving skull matches to avoid my opponent using powers because they would take the skulls every time and my tank has 75% skull damage reduction. This may be the move that gets me out of this game. It nerfed me bad. My team is around 8000, today I played a 4000 team and only survived with 1 troop left with less than 100 hp remaining. And it wasn't a particularly bad board. Not too happy with this change.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

But this makes the AI better, and overall good for the game IMO. Much closer to playing a real player. Not sure how that is anything but good news? Both more interesting and more challenging IMO.

One big change for me is that with the Unity update on iOS, it's so slow to almost be unplayable on my iPad 2. My iPhone 6 can handle it, but it's a lot slower than it was on that as well. Still, nice to be on one interface since I played equally between iOS and Steam probably.

I stupidly did the immediate level up on the Soul Forge (first two or three levels I think), thinking it was counting MATCHES, not KILLS. Gah! What a waste of gems! Should have watched Tacet's video on the update before I did anything in game.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Carpet_pissr wrote:But this makes the AI better, and overall good for the game IMO. Much closer to playing a real player. Not sure how that is anything but good news? Both more interesting and more challenging IMO.

One big change for me is that with the Unity update on iOS, it's so slow to almost be unplayable on my iPad 2. My iPhone 6 can handle it, but it's a lot slower than it was on that as well. Still, nice to be on one interface since I played equally between iOS and Steam probably.

I stupidly did the immediate level up on the Soul Forge (first two or three levels I think), thinking it was counting MATCHES, not KILLS. Gah! What a waste of gems! Should have watched Tacet's video on the update before I did anything in game.
I need to watch that because I did the same thing.

Also, rshetts, why would it make you quit the game rather than simply retool your team?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Remus West wrote:
Also, why would it make you quit the game rather than simply retool your team?
I said it may get me to quit. I haven't had the opportunity to check out many other team options but I have had zero luck in drawing the mythics that it seems every team out there has, so those options are limited. I did try two other team options and got my ass handed to me. With the shitty legendary/mythic RNG and limited options to go to, I have basically reached an endgame point. I can continue to get thumped and hope that I get a ridiculously lucky draw down the road, drop lots of money to hopefully get a better draw or I can just say screw it and find a new time waster. I'm not dropping more money on this so I'll play it for a few more weeks and see if the changes are not as bad as they seem at first blush. Ive already limited my play lately as I felt I've hit a wall with this game, so ruining my primary team doesn't make me too enthused.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

rshetts2 wrote:
Remus West wrote:
Also, why would it make you quit the game rather than simply retool your team?
I said it may get me to quit. I haven't had the opportunity to check out many other team options but I have had zero luck in drawing the mythics that it seems every team out there has, so those options are limited. I did try two other team options and got my ass handed to me. With the shitty legendary/mythic RNG and limited options to go to, I have basically reached an endgame point. I can continue to get thumped and hope that I get a ridiculously lucky draw down the road, drop lots of money to hopefully get a better draw or I can just say screw it and find a new time waster. I'm not dropping more money on this so I'll play it for a few more weeks and see if the changes are not as bad as they seem at first blush. Ive already limited my play lately as I felt I've hit a wall with this game, so ruining my primary team doesn't make me too enthused.
I haven't looked too far into it but with the soulforge maybe we can craft some of the drops we need.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Completed the first new dungeon. Basically 3 fights against increasingly difficult teams once per day. You get colored jewels (looks like the color will change each day), some "shards" and a 25%/25%/50% chance at some diamonds (not the same currency as gems). I did not score any diamonds on my first run through. The units you fight against also scale above 20 with the mega boss units being level 40. The last fight was no joke, against a level 40 Gard's Avatar.
Spoiler:
The fight starts out as a race to knock Gard's armor down as his attack does 17 damage +armor as true damage to all troops. His armor was just shy of 60, I don't have a single troop that can take 75 health damage. He would have been able to wipe my whole team in one hit for several rounds until I was able to whittle him down.
The soulforge looks interesting and with enough levels and mats you can craft mythics. I will say it also looks super grindy at first glance, initial impression is you will need tons of mats, which you can of course also buy for cash if you so choose. :shock:

You can level the forge by spending gems or killing troops. There is a caveat on troop kills, once you hit the required amount for level the game stops counting. For example if you need 5 troops to level and you kill 10 when you click the level up button you will start at 0 troops for next level. Not a huge obstacle just need to pay attention and periodically go level up.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
PLW

Post by PLW »

We're just a smidge short of 10k seals for the week. Go team!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The new Princess Fizzbang troop is just awesome. That is all.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Tao wrote:Completed the first new dungeon.
I like the idea of the SoulForge and spent a lot of gems levelling it up before finding that my team is unable to beat even the first dungeon mini-boss.

I still don't have any mythics which is probably what's holding me back.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Exodor wrote:
Tao wrote:Completed the first new dungeon.
I like the idea of the SoulForge and spent a lot of gems levelling it up before finding that my team is unable to beat even the first dungeon mini-boss.

I still don't have any mythics which is probably what's holding me back.
This week's 1st boss is annoying, because all the freezing undermines my general strategy of flooding the board with a single color to get a lot of 4+ matches and keep my turn alive. Right now, between the Forest Troll, Kraken, and Green Seer, I can basically often 3 or 4 turns in a row pretty regularly. But not if I'm frozen.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Exodor wrote:I still don't have any mythics which is probably what's holding me back.
Mythics are overrated. My team only has legendary troops and took care of all 3 dungeon bosses in less than 10 minutes. Gorgotha removes any status effects when he attacks so that helps a lot with troops that freeze. 3 of my troops feed mana to the others. 3 of them also damage every enemy on their attack. So once one of them attacks, it's pretty much over.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
PLW

Post by PLW »

Yeah, I got him on the second try. It's basic a question of whether I get frozen before the combos start rolling. If I can scrounge 10 Arcane Beast Traitstones, I could make my guy immune to status effects, but that's a long way off.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

PLW wrote:Yeah, I got him on the second try. It's basic a question of whether I get frozen before the combos start rolling. If I can scrounge 10 Arcane Beast Traitstones, I could make my guy immune to status effects, but that's a long way off.
Make sure you are watching for the weekly glory chest to see what the trait stone is. Might not be so far off if you are lucky...

I have a few mythics (3-5 actual mythics, countless promoted to mythic as I keep trying to 5 star my kingdoms - got 10-12 of them up to 5 stars now), but I use 2 legendaries, an epic and an uncommon (1 legendary and the uncommon are both mythic promoted) - all 4 fully traited/leveled. 3 are feeders. Emp Korvasch is my main killer and stuns and drains mana. If he goes down though, Carnex in position 2 - skull matches add 25% of their armor to their skull damage. Special ability explodes up to 10 skulls (a little damage plus all the gems around them - LOTS of mana for everyone and often fully recharges his ability) and adds armor (19 or so I think I'm at - that goes up with your magic ability). So he can easily get up to doing 50 or more damage with a skull match. He's also immune to status effects. Both of them get 25% reduced skull damage - so 2 tankish sorts to cover the front line. In 3rd to feed whatever I feel like feeding (plus a little extra gold that doesn't matter much, plus chance for maps, which I need to feed my wife's playtime). Banshee brings up the rear - feeds Carnex and does decent damage - can target people to reach some rear people if needed or people who do damage based on their armor or life (like the paladin), knock down the armor (or eventually, the life). Plus he gets souls for me.

Today was the first day I had an issue with the 3 dungeon bosses. First 2 were no problem, Queen Mab got me on the first time. Second try, down with the Queen! It was a total slaughter, didn't lose anyone. Really depends a good bit on luck for what I can get charged up quickly vs what the AI does in close situations like that.

Having seen a good variety of different cards and teams and such by this time, not really sure what I would consider changing. Had Carnex from very early on and got Emp Korvash before too long. Used to use Valkyrie, but after they nerfed it, decided Banshee is better. Gets souls and some damage if things go south. I've won a few matches where he was the soul survivor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That new goblin princess is amazing. I'm sure she will be nerfed pronto, so use her while you can!
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Carpet_pissr wrote:That new goblin princess is amazing. I'm sure she will be nerfed pronto, so use her while you can!
Nobend
Fizz
Fizz
Grapple

Is amazing. Don't even really need them traited.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I have somehow failed to get a Grapplepot so far. Does she drop using event keys?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

No Grapple yet here, but you can put any green Goblin troop in that fourth spot and have a juggernaut on your hands.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, having great fun with:

Goblin
Nobend
Gob Rocket
Fizz
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I have somehow failed to get a Grapplepot so far. Does she drop using event keys?
Yes, event keys this week.