Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by stimpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Is anyone still playing in the QT3 Guild? I've 'earned' 1/3 of the seals so far this week! (And total is quite low it seems)

This week's bonus team currently in use:
Famine
Vampire Lord (meh)
Sekhma
Crimson Bat

Working on so far interns of synergy. May replace vampire lord at some point.

I am and I get emails telling me I've completed guild tasks that I have no idea I was completing.
But I'll take the rewards.
I'm kinda finding my feet in this game and am playing around with different combos.
I'm on a pretty good roll with my current team.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

What's your current team?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

NOT trying to steal anyone from an active guild but if the QT3 guild is going inactive there are 2 opening in the guild im in. Requirements:
Daily Guild wars play
~700 seals a week. We aim to hit the 20k mark every week.
Donate to guild tasks: If your kingdoms aren't all level 10 that's cool. If they are then `175-200k per week is expected. We always max the magic task and divide evenly among he rest after that.

PM me if you are interested.

No PvP requirements outside Guild Wars and no trophy requirements.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

It goes in cycles a bit as far as guild participation. I just checked and I have been a member for 918 days, lol, so some weeks I don't play as much as others. It really depends on how busy I am week to week and what else I have going on. I think it works that way for most people and usually the new members as they join give a bit of an uptick on activity so it can vary quite a bit from week to week.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:What's your current team?
Level 11 Musketeer
Level 11 Sacred Guardian
Level 10 Sparkgrinder
Level 10 Shadow Hunter

Still fighting kinda low level battles, but they get the job done.....so far.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:What's your current team?
Just for kicks, my current team is:

- Luther (18) - Has his first trait, but I have no idea how to get the traitstones for his second.
- Dark Priestess (17) - Just for this week though, I don't really like her skill
- Apothecary (17)
- Valkyrie (17) - Fully traited

I tried training up a "team of the week" last week to match the event (Pridelands), but I'm simply not bringing in enough souls on a regular basis for that to be a viable strategy right now. I can only get them to the mid-levels before the event changes and they go back to being mostly useless again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I'm also not crazy about this week's new card.

Whoever mentioned Sekhma to me from last week, though, WOW. My new fave.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm still going, but don't really start cashing in souls until the weekend.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

BTW Arcane Venom stones are in this weeks glory chest. Great for traiting out your Kraken if you have him.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:mrgreen: .. NOTE: .. there's a Demon-Hunter DLC for this ($9.99) in the latest Humble-Bundle .. (pay $1 or more category)
Ain't nobody got time for that
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Do we know what the Demon Hunter DLC provides?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The Meal wrote:Do we know what the Demon Hunter DLC provides?
ABOUT THIS CONTENT

The Demon Hunter Bundle features the exclusive “Desdaemona” troop and includes the following items:
Exclusive troop “Desdaemona”
10 Gem Keys
1,000 Souls

Thanks, KDH!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm a little fuzzy on the "power" system for each kingdom. If I understand it correctly, you receive points based on:

1. How many troops you own from that kingdom
2. How many traits those troops have
3. How many levels they have

Those three are then combined to give an overall "power" score for that kingdom, which unlocks certain rewards. Is that about right? And do you only get those rewards if that kingdom is designated as your "home" kingdom, or do they happen regardless?

Hit level 76 this morning, and have every kingdom up to level 6, with a few at 7. I have my set team that I really like, but wish that I could find some more copies of their cards so I could upgrade them. Feels like I've been stuck with them forever. I unlocked the "Knight" class last night...that one seems to fit the best at this point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Skinypupy wrote:Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm a little fuzzy on the "power" system for each kingdom. If I understand it correctly, you receive points based on:

1. How many troops you own from that kingdom
2. How many traits those troops have
3. How many levels they have

Those three are then combined to give an overall "power" score for that kingdom, which unlocks certain rewards. Is that about right?
Yes
And do you only get those rewards if that kingdom is designated as your "home" kingdom, or do they happen regardless?
Does not matter. Your "home" kingdom gets you a 2x chance at tribute rewards (I believe) from that kingdom, which at your level is probably not very significant.
Hit level 76 this morning, and have every kingdom up to level 6, with a few at 7.
I'd recommend halting the even promotion of kingdoms (after Level 4), and instead focus on getting certain kingdoms to Level 10 ASAP. There are 5 kingdoms whose Level 10 bonus is a +1 to your Magic attribute, which is very significant at your level. There are additional power-based (star system) attribute bonuses associated with those kingdoms (though I still don't have those maxxed at my level, which is approaching Level 700).
I have my set team that I really like, but wish that I could find some more copies of their cards so I could upgrade them. Feels like I've been stuck with them forever. I unlocked the "Knight" class last night...that one seems to fit the best at this point.
Good luck! Our weekly chest rewards are your best chance at empowering lower-tier troops.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
The Meal wrote:Do we know what the Demon Hunter DLC provides?
ABOUT THIS CONTENT

The Demon Hunter Bundle features the exclusive “Desdaemona” troop and includes the following items:
Exclusive troop “Desdaemona”
10 Gem Keys
1,000 Souls

Thanks, KDH!
so basically 10 gem keys for a buck, since I already have the troop. Still worth a buck.

Wanted to add that this $1 pack also gave me a redeemable code for 500 amazon coins! That's a pretty good deal.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Just pulled a Famine out of a Gem chest. Wheeeeee.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Using:
Dwarven Slayer
Keeper of Souls
Abynissia
Elven Bard

Once the slayer does his job and Abynissia gets rolling the Infernal King/Keeper of Souls combo has been pretty damned solid at running through multiple enemies in single long turns. The Elven Bard makes Abynissia go faster and stronger to keep those Kings coming and stop the enemy from even getting to my Keeper.

I'm having fun with this team but wondered if anyone had suggestions to make it better?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

also, is there any way to up your odds for specific types of Traitstones?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Remus West wrote:also, is there any way to up your odds for specific types of Traitstones?
Focused exploration is the best way but even that's not great.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Aaaannnd my Famine gets nerfed. LOL

Crafting is supposed to be in soon. Hopes are that people will be able to craft the traitstones they want.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

What do trophies do? I keep getting them for PVP but they don't seem to matter. 2 or 3 each battle.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Looks like they did a whole UI redesign. Way too over the top for me...too much stuff happening on screen and the colors are way too vibrant. I much preferred the more subdued look they had, it's like My Little Pony puked on my screen.

Also pretty sure I am done with the game until they remove the weekly bonuses from Guild Wars. 50% bonus is frikkin ridiculous. Lost two matches in a row to the exact same team tonight, two mythic fully traited Astral Spirits with 50% bonus hit for 40+ true damage and start with full mana. Turn 1 I lost a troop and turn 2 I lost another troop, AI didn't even need to match any gems. The bonus is terrible in any PvP but as I have mentioned before at least in regular PvP if a team is stupidly over-powered from the bonuses I can work around it.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Why not create your own bonus'ed up team?

As stated before, I think it's part of the fun of the game to try new teams each week (and I am sure the devs use the bonus to encourage just that, trying to keep the game fresh).

I still have not completely settled on this week's team, but switching between:

Centaurs team:
Astral Spirit
Bul'Tauros (wow! great troop)
Dragotaur (I know, needs dragons, but does a great job buffing himself)
Had Star Gazer in this last slot until tonight, when I subbed in my Hero, as Oracle/Centaur (for the bonus), wielding Creeping Death

Pretty tight team

I have just stumbled onto a combination of troops with fantastic synergy, which I use for hard battles that I can't seem to beat using my "Team O' the Week":

Sand Cobra (LOVE "Agile")
Spirit Fox
Fire Lizard
Giant Spider
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Remus West wrote:What do trophies do? I keep getting them for PVP but they don't seem to matter. 2 or 3 each battle.
Trophies accumulate per guild. Your total guild trophies place you in a bracket. This bracket determines your bonus for daily login. The guild i'm in gets a 200% bonus for logging in every day.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I love the new interface/UI tweak that counts the gems that affect your spells before you cast them - brilliant!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

No UI tweaks to the iOS version (yet).

We'll be in that +200% Gold Daily Bonus range once we've accumulated 75,000 trophies. We currently sit at 73,277 ("Master I") — so we should be there in a few weeks. I get between 100-150 trophies per week, and Kyrios (the machine!) is at 300+ on a weekly basis. StWheeler has also been crushing of late (go you!). The rest of the team also contributes, but I don't folks focus on PVP battles nearly to the same extent.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The Meal wrote:No UI tweaks to the iOS version (yet).

We'll be in that +200% Gold Daily Bonus range once we've accumulated 75,000 trophies. We currently sit at 73,277 ("Master I") — so we should be there in a few weeks. I get between 100-150 trophies per week, and Kyrios (the machine!) is at 300+ on a weekly basis. StWheeler has also been crushing of late (go you!). The rest of the team also contributes, but I don't folks focus on PVP battles nearly to the same extent.
I finished all the quests so I'm just trying to get wins as various classes to earn the class weapons right now. Figure PVP would get that done.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm actually digging the new UI, minus the troop screen. It seems you have to go through an additional click/step now to sort by a specific characteristic, which is a step backwards in my opinion.

Also, sorting by "UPGRADE" (a fantastic recent find, for me), seems to only sort "traitable" troops now, as opposed to "ascendable" troops as before the change, unless I am misunderstanding something.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

4 astral spirits is a devastating defense team this week. Getting slaughterred in guild wars (and doing appropriate slaughtering on my end)
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Should I be doing Guild Wars or just sticking to my PVP battles for now? Still only have 2 cities at 10. The rest are 7s. No stars on any of them.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Remus West wrote:Should I be doing Guild Wars or just sticking to my PVP battles for now? Still only have 2 cities at 10. The rest are 7s. No stars on any of them.
You cannot hurt your guild by doing guild wars. All points are positive. So there is no reason not to do you 5 daily Guild Wars battles. That is, if your guild participates in guild wars.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cortilian wrote:4 astral spirits is a devastating defense team this week. Getting slaughterred in guild wars (and doing appropriate slaughtering on my end)
Fully traited maybe, but I just did a few trial fights with that team and was trounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Cortilian wrote:4 astral spirits is a devastating defense team this week. Getting slaughterred in guild wars (and doing appropriate slaughtering on my end)
Fully traited maybe, but I just did a few trial fights with that team and was trounced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, they must be fully traited so they start with full mana. That lets each of the 4 do 40+ true damage before you even match a single gem.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Cortilian wrote:Oh yeah, they must be fully traited so they start with full mana.
I set 4 fully traited astral spirits as my defense team this morning and they've lost every defense battle so far, lol.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

ColdSteel wrote:
Cortilian wrote:Oh yeah, they must be fully traited so they start with full mana.
I set 4 fully traited astral spirits as my defense team this morning and they've lost every defense battle so far, lol.
I apologize. I was talking about guild wars. After your spirits deal out their initial crazy true damage they usually get crushed. However, in guild wars, you rarely expect to win but the goal is to limit the points your opponent gets. So your 4 spirits are almost certain to kill 1 or 2 of your opponents troops. That really hurts their score for guild wars.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

This might explain why our 4 Astral Spirits didn't fare so well:

We noticed last week that the number of players using single-troop defenses in PvP was growing.

While it was a reasonably rare occurrence, we were quite happy to indulge it as we considered some better solutions for PvP in the future. The plan was to eventually make some really neat updates, but only after we'd had a chance to fully think everything through... I'm not a fan of quick fixes (necessary though they may be sometimes).

Anyway, we noticed that there were some pockets in the game last week where players could neatly cycle around single-troop defenses without ever playing a real game of PvP against a properly constructed team. Needless to say, that's not really the spirit of the game as we intended, and is probably harmful to the game experience in the long-term.

So for now we've opted for a quick fix, that should actually be reasonably harmless and barely noticeable to most players. Any single-troop defenses, will be replaced by another team in the defender's collection for now, until we can investigate & test a more thorough way to solve the problem.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Carpet_pissr wrote:This might explain why our 4 Astral Spirits didn't fare so well:

We noticed last week that the number of players using single-troop defenses in PvP was growing.

While it was a reasonably rare occurrence, we were quite happy to indulge it as we considered some better solutions for PvP in the future. The plan was to eventually make some really neat updates, but only after we'd had a chance to fully think everything through... I'm not a fan of quick fixes (necessary though they may be sometimes).

Anyway, we noticed that there were some pockets in the game last week where players could neatly cycle around single-troop defenses without ever playing a real game of PvP against a properly constructed team. Needless to say, that's not really the spirit of the game as we intended, and is probably harmful to the game experience in the long-term.

So for now we've opted for a quick fix, that should actually be reasonably harmless and barely noticeable to most players. Any single-troop defenses, will be replaced by another team in the defender's collection for now, until we can investigate & test a more thorough way to solve the problem.
I think they are talking about a defense against one single troop and not a defense of 4 of the same troop. Even in my Guild wars battles today I ran into 2 teams of all Astral spirits.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Cortilian wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:This might explain why our 4 Astral Spirits didn't fare so well:

I think they are talking about a defense against one single troop and not a defense of 4 of the same troop. Even in my Guild wars battles today I ran into 2 teams of all Astral spirits.
Yep, I used to run into single troop defense teams all of the time. I did actually hit one in Guild Wars today though. The team was a single Kraken.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ahhhh. And I also ran into that single kraken today!

What is the thinking behind doing that? And why would the devs be concerned about it?

I handily trounce single troop teams (every time, I'm pretty sure). What am I missing here?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Today's Guild Wars match up is against Kael's team. 8-)