Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

T

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by T »

4,000 or so seals and nothing.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Same here. A lot of work for a whole lot of nothing.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Just to confirm I still have never seen a mythic drop. That includes I have never seen one drop for my entire guild where it shows legendary drops and mythic ascension and we are Grandmaster I ranked so there are lots keys getting used. There may be a mythic drop rate for gem and guild keys but it is infinitesimal. I think VIP keys is the only way to really get the mythic drops. Fortunately, you can easily compete with pretty much any team with other cards. Mythics are really nice but they are not an 'i win' button. Plus the guild troops are pretty strong once ascended and traited.

My team of Gorgotha, Queen Yas, Valk, and Queen Yas is still smoking other teams. The only teams that have a chance are Bone Dragon team and Emp Vorkash mixed with mana drainers.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I did finally get my first mythic troop, the Wulfgarok. It seems interesting and I may build a wargare/Maugrim Woods team just to mess around with once I build up enough souls to level them up.

I got it from a Gem Chest purchasing 50 at a time with 450 gems.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Kelan wrote:I did finally get my first mythic troop, the Wulfgarok. It seems interesting and I may build a wargare/Maugrim Woods team just to mess around with once I build up enough souls to level them up.

That's awesome. Was it an event key?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I got my first Mythic last week from a glory chest. I think it was War? Haven't used it yet.
Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Cortilian wrote:
Kelan wrote:I did finally get my first mythic troop, the Wulfgarok. It seems interesting and I may build a wargare/Maugrim Woods team just to mess around with once I build up enough souls to level them up.

That's awesome. Was it an event key?
Reading comprehension fail :(
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Still zero mythic drops for me. I do have a few crap troops ascended up to Mythic, although they are basically ghetto mythics as ascension adds nothing new to the troops. Honestly, the horrific drop rates have diminished my game time. I used to grind in hopes that the keys I got and the effort put in would reward me. I now know that they dont. I am still running with the same team, Gorgotha, Alistair, Rowanne and my Necro Hero with Creeping Death. Similar to Corts team, I can beat most teams unless they are Bone Dragon or Emp Korbitch based. I still play daily and enjoy the game but the lack of realistic roster advancement makes me feel like I am just running in place.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just got 3 mythics. Unfortunately they were all commons that were ascended to mythics. I think that's probably about the only type I'm going to be seeing.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Several Mythics dropped last week for my guild. I didn't get one but 5 or 6 did. They may have adjusted drop rates?

I blew 150 gem keys and 100 event keys. Bubkis. Did get a Bone Dragon though.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I did manage to get my Knight Coronet up to mythic, which I really like. I am working on a new team, but my Knight Coronet/Queen Ys team is doing pretty well now. I have a couple sub-par human knights to fill out the team, but may change one out for the Sword's Edge one to get the 4 bonus on them too. Really would like to trait out Queen Ys for the 2 Armor/turn regen.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

44MB update. How is it? I haven't had a chance to give it a whirl, yet.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Tao

Post by Tao »

Looks like they added periodic Events and rotating troop bonuses but mostly it's more stuff to buy i.e. you can purchase a monthly Mythic for $50 bucks.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Update 2.2 Patch Notes

Event System
There are 3 types of Events that can be run. They may be available all at once, or at different times:

Troop Bonus Events:
Troop Skills get increased by 25%
These events can be based on either Troop Type (like Knight or Dragon), or Troop Kingdom (like Khetar or Adana), or both!
The Skill Bonuses will apply to all game modes including the Arena.
When multiple Troop Bonus Events are run at the same time, the bonuses will stack.

Bonus Resource Events:
Using a combination of either Troops, Troop Types, Troop Color, or Troop Kingdoms, construct a team that rewards bonus resources at the end of a victorious battle.
These events will sometimes apply to specific game modes and difficulties.

Collection Events:
Complete specific objectives such as: Killing enemies, killing troops of specific types or kingdoms, summoning troops, or playing treasure maps, to earn points.
Based on your point total, collect rewards for the event as you progress.
Each event may contain up to 6 rewards.

New Shop Items
Several bundles have been added to the Store to give you great new deals just in time for the holidays:

Growth Packs
These packs give rewards for reaching certain levels in the game.
They may only be purchased once.
They will give appropriate rewards instantly, if purchased by a player who has already achieved some/all of the levels.
There are 2 types of Growth Packs: Growth Pack I and Growth Pack II

Growth Pack I:
Costs $30 and contains $150 value of rewards.
Gives rewards at levels 10, 20, 30, 40, 50.
At level 50 gives a bonus random Legendary troop.

Growth Pack II:
Costs $50 and contains $250 value of rewards
Gives rewards at levels 50, 75, 100, 125, 150
At level 150 gives a bonus random Mythic troop

Path to Glory Packs
Path to Glory Packs are 30-day subscription packs that can be purchased once per month.
There are 2 types of subscription packs: Path to Glory I and Path to Glory II
Players may purchase both subscriptions at the same time if they want.
These packs may be repurchased once they expire.
You will not miss out if you do not collect them on consecutive days (i.e. if you have collected the Day 5 Reward, and you miss 2 days’ play, then when you log in, the pack will continue from the Day 6 Reward, running all the way up to Day 30).

Path to Glory I
Costs $15 and contains $75 value of rewards
Each day gives random consumables (Gems, Gold, Souls, etc)
On day 30, gives a random Legendary Troop

Path to Glory II
Costs $50 and contains $250 value of rewards
Each day gives traitstones
On day 30, gives a random Mythic Troop

VIP Bundle
$5 Bundle that gives 1 VIP key and a few miscellaneous consumables.
VIP keys can be used even if the player isn’t VIP 5.
Can be purchased 3 times per account

Weapon Bundle
Costs $5 and contains an old event weapon along with a few miscellaneous consumables.

Typhoon of Keys
$100 bundle that has been brought over from the console versions
This pack contains a huge selection of keys of all types (including VIP)
240 Gold Keys
120 Glory Keys
60 Gem Keys
30 Event Keys
15 VIP Keys

Other Shop Updates
Shop tabs have been reorganised to improve Shop layout. This includes Gold and Soul purchases now sharing a tab.
Gem purchases of Gold and Souls now give significantly more rewards.
We are changing the weekly rotation of shop bundles to always include the following:
Troop Bundle
Weapon Bundle
2 Traitstone bundles of specific colors

Balance Changes
Elwyn
Increased his boost ratio from x1 to x3
Base damage increased from 2 to 6
Now gains Magic at level 16

Gorgotha
Spell now cleanses Gorgotha.

Kraken
His legendary trait has been corrected to the original version. We’ve fixed the problem that caused his trait not to end the game correctly.

Manticore
Empowered changed to Fast.

Wulfgarok
Mana Cost reduced from 24 to 22

Withering Touch
Spell changed to do Life Steal instead of flat true damage and life gain.

Runic Blade
Spell changed so that killing an enemy gives +10 to all Stats.

General
Chat is now available in Treasure Hunt mini games.
Treasure Hunt now displays the number of turns taken as well as, current number of earned Traitstones.
Arena rewards have been increased.
Redeem Codes have been disabled in the Store due to issues with First Party terms.
New load screen has been added to game start up.
Chest menu now always defaults to the Gold chest screen, rather than highest chest that players have keys for (like gem or event).

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue where Guild Statue levels weren’t displaying above 100.
Fixed the issue where Kraken’s original 3rd trait would cause the game to get stuck if used to end the battle.
Fixed Guild chat messages – they no longer disappear when typing multiple lines.
Fixed Infernal King’s 3rd Trait triggering despite being stunned when he is killed.
Fixed various Avatar visual issues
Improved load times on Android and iOS devices.
Fixed an issue where guild tasks were not resetting correctly if a player was not in a guild when the weekly reset happens.
Fixed an issue where PVP Defences show as 0 PVP points.
Fixed a guild issue were number of guild members were sometimes displaying 1 more than actual guild members.
Fixed an issue where a player could start a new battle while in the middle of a battle through chat, causing the game to crash.
Adjusted team scores to take into account any Guild Stat bonuses.
Fixed an Avatar issue where the headwear displayed was matching costume Armor, instead of the selected custom headwear
Improved the load time of the News menu when the game first loads.
Fixed an issue where currency in Treasure or Arena intro was overlapping the menu popup on 4:3 devices

Known Issues
A “ghost” Orbweaver Hero may be triggered when it summons a Giant Spider on damage that caused death. (This doesn’t affect the game – it’s just a visual issue)
Summoned Troops' traits are sometimes not triggering correctly for some players.
Troops summoned by the AI can occasionally have higher Skills than normal (particularly on higher Warlord difficulties).
Transformed enemy's traits are sometimes still triggering after being transformed for some players.
Guild Rewards may not be sent out correctly for some players when too many players complete tasks at once, particularly after Weekly Reset.
The Lion and Tiger Weapon is not working correctly for some players especially on older or slower devices.
Troops that get summoned into a team slot, where a troop had previously been killed by a status effect (such as burning), may very occasionally be inflicted with the same status effect.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

The events can be interesting. The current event expires in 3 days and you get one point for killing an undead troop in pvp or explore. There are different rewards based on the number of points you get to include, gold, gems, glory, event keys and a legendary troop.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

We got a few new players into the guild the past couple weeks and some are really cranking out the seals this week. We are up over 8,000 already so if folks would like the opportunity to hit 10,000 to turn in some seals for chest, this might be a good week to make a push :).
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

It also looks like The Meal is our new guild leader. Well deserved so gratz! :handgestures-salute:

After about 3 months of heavy work, I finally finished fully traiting out Plague, my one and only true mythic. What a pain that was. His final trait required 24 (count 'em) arcane stones. It was insane and took forever. Mainly because the 12 arcane venom stones just would not drop. I'm almost positive there's something wrong with the arcane drop algorithm for Zuhl'Kari. I didn't have that problem at all with the 12 arcane swamp stones he needed, just all the venom ones for that trait and the one before it. It took forever but at least that's done, thank god. I also finally got Jarl from an event key this week and am now working on his traits, which are going much, much faster. He's so much fun to play that I've been working on putting a team together just for him.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
T

Post by T »

Congrats Meal!

Jarl has been in my main team for a while now. This week I got 3 Jarls from event keys, bringing the total to 4. Weirdest luck I've had in this game. Two more to mythic.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I voted for Meal for new guild leader!

(Well, I would have if I'd been given a chance?).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks gang,

I have no idea *WHY* I'd be made guild leader. This is the Qt3 guild after all, and I don't know half the names on the list. And AFAICT, the only additional duty I get is the ability to kick people. Not a good combo for someone who doesn't know the names. But please be vocal (here or in the guild chat) if there's a good reason to kick someone (basically we need to remove an inactive because you want to invite someone).

Also we're about 500 seals short of the magic 10,000 number for the week (and I'm good for about 100 more today before it's capped), so let me echo the request for folks to shoot for a few extras here at the end of the week.

Happy New Year all!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Pfft -- you guys are on it. We've surpassed 10,000 seals, so get to spending your guild keys!
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Yay! I was able to turn in over 7000 seals as I missed the last time we hit 10k later in the night. I managed to get one legendary and an assortment of purple/blue troops to add to the upgrade pile.

I think buzznaut just picked you because you have been one of the most active members.

My latest team I have been fielding is a Sword's Edge, Human-Knight combo. The Queen Ysabelle/Knight Coronet combo at the top is one of my favorites and I just added in the Dragon Knight and Lance Knight to hit all three 4-pack bonuses for Humans, Knights, and Sword's Edge. This isn't as fun a team as some, but it is pretty hardy as I believe the Sword's Edge bonus includes +10 armor to all. I just wish I could get an Emperor Khorvash as that could be even better there.

Once I got my first mythic, the Wulfgarok, I have been planning a Maugrim Woods team with him at the heart of it and taking advantage of an all wargare team with the Fenrir to buff up the Wulfgarok, and many other beast, wargare, and traits that buff each other up. I just don't play enough to gain enough souls and stones to level/trait them up, but I am working on it.

In the meantime, I did level my Wulfgarok and slotted him in my main team and just managed to buy 8 glory packs for the 16 Arcane Lava stones to fully trait out Jarl Firemantle. I threw him and Wulfgarok in with my Knight Coronet and Queen Ysabelle combo and just took down a 9500 ranked level 1100+ team. Now that Jarl randomly burns enemies on 4-5 gem matches and with his creation of gems going, I can really chain some free turns. If I can get a guaranteed devour off with my Wulfgarok, I can really punch above my current 5700 or so team rating. I can't wait to get the Wulfgarok fully traited out and may even consider a team with the Fenrir taking the place in my current team for Queen Ysabelle.

This game can really get fun the more you play around with different teams and strategies.
T

Post by T »

We have another who wants to join the guild from QT3, his id is slantz.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If you guys need space in the guild, you can boot me; I haven't played in a few weeks.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

T wrote:We have another who wants to join the guild from QT3, his id is slantz.
Sorry. That hero is already in another guild. They will need to leave it before you can send them an invitation.
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:If you guys need space in the guild, you can boot me; I haven't played in a few weeks.
dsasson?
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That's the one!
Black Lives Matter
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

I was able to let slantz know, and after they left their other guild, was able to get them in guild.

We just had another over at Qt3 request to join, Kyrios_2, and I sent them an invite. As long as we have bodies willing to play, may as well get them in if we have room and help them out getting started too :).
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Excellent, Kelan -- thank you.

I'll try to keep the roster list pruned to around 29 based on my perception of recent activity. It's easy when I can just look at folks who've never contributed a trophy or seal to the guild, but it may get tougher after I've worked through those folks.

If there are proposed prunings for inactivity, please let me know. I believe I'm the only one who has the power to kick.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

The new Legendary troop is pretty useful. And is also obtainable by event keys this week.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have no idea what this is but this last page makes it sound interesting. Ill look into it. If its not about micro trans and such Ill give it a go. I rank match 3 games low on my radar but Im bored out of my skull on older AAA games right now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's a match-three F2P that's not a pay to "win". It's my go-to toilet (mobile) game, though lots of folks play on their desktop as well. The devs have done a nice job Skinner Boxing lots of different axes of development which keeps folks involved.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Meant to pla ya couple rounds to test it out and ended up playing more than I wanted lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Tao

Post by Tao »

The Meal wrote:It's a match-three F2P that's not a pay to "win". It's my go-to toilet (mobile) game, though lots of folks play on their desktop as well. The devs have done a nice job Skinner Boxing lots of different axes of development which keeps folks involved.
Overall the game may not be P2W but based on my last PvP match I have to believe spending cash doesn't hurt. My fault for not scouting the troops; 4 mythic troops, Death, Famine and Plague all FULLY traited with a mythic leveled Abhorath also fully traited. Now it's possible this may have been the luckiest player in the game who just happened to score some amazing cards. Hero level was only 152 so I find it hard to believe they spent tons of time grinding for those trait stones either. I've been playing for about 5 months now and I still only have 5 of the 10 Arcane Dark Stones I have been hunting for. The "Path to Glory" and the "Growth Packs" may be changing the face of the game.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Tao wrote:
Overall the game may not be P2W but based on my last PvP match I have to believe spending cash doesn't hurt. My fault for not scouting the troops; 4 mythic troops, Death, Famine and Plague all FULLY traited with a mythic leveled Abhorath also fully traited. Now it's possible this may have been the luckiest player in the game who just happened to score some amazing cards. Hero level was only 152 so I find it hard to believe they spent tons of time grinding for those trait stones either. I've been playing for about 5 months now and I still only have 5 of the 10 Arcane Dark Stones I have been hunting for. The "Path to Glory" and the "Growth Packs" may be changing the face of the game.
Don't forget that a different traitstone is part of the Glory chest each week. Make a list of what you need and buy them that way.
T

Post by T »

Tao wrote:
The Meal wrote:It's a match-three F2P that's not a pay to "win". It's my go-to toilet (mobile) game, though lots of folks play on their desktop as well. The devs have done a nice job Skinner Boxing lots of different axes of development which keeps folks involved.
If you play a team not much higher ranked than your team it's usually not that bad. And as mentioned, use weekly rewards for trait stones.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Tao, I run into those every now and then. About 5 minutes per week is spent with me shaking my head asking "I wonder how much *that* person spent to get that team." It's not very often, and it doesn't really take away from my enjoyment. YMMV.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cortilian wrote:The new Legendary troop is pretty useful. And is also obtainable by event keys this week.
Agreed. There may be a spot at the top of my general offensive team for The Silvermaiden. I originally jumped in only because I'm going for the double skill bonus in Silverglade (as this kingdom provides a magic bonus), but once I started mucking around I realized this is a quality troop.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I still have yet to draw a mythic. I am facing drawn mythics constantly in PVP it seems like everyone has Death and Famine. I have plenty of ghetto mythics but I can not draw a mythic to save my life. Its really starting to take the fun out of the game because I am simply spinning my wheels now. I still play daily but I havent finished a PVP run in over a month now. My team is still good and strong but Ive noticed that Im am getting passed by, by teams with multiple drawn mythics. Im beginning to think that this is more PTW than at first blush. There is a whole lot of good gaming in GOW but it seems that Ive hit a point where unless I drop cash to get my VIP level up and start opening VIP chests Ive pretty much capped myself.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

rshetts2 wrote:I still have yet to draw a mythic. I am facing drawn mythics constantly in PVP it seems like everyone has Death and Famine. I have plenty of ghetto mythics but I can not draw a mythic to save my life.
All those folks with Death and Famine are VIP players. For a very brief time they apparently had much higher odds of drawing a mythic because a few of us got one over about a 2 week period (I got Plague) and then they made adjustments to the RNG to make the odds much lower. The latest big patch nerfed drops even more so I don't think any of us will ever see a mythic drop again. Heck, even legendary troops, which used to drop like rain, hardly ever drop now. The VIP folks are raking them in but not the rest of us.
rshetts2 wrote:There is a whole lot of good gaming in GOW but it seems that I've hit a point where unless I drop cash to get my VIP level up and start opening VIP chests Ive pretty much capped myself.
Yeah, the fun in this game for me is getting new troop cards and putting good teams together to play. At this point I have about all the troops I'm going to get and a few very strong teams so there's not nearly as much motivation to play. I still enjoy it and I like helping the guild but without new teams to try out it can get pretty monotonous at times. Hopefully they will continue to add new content and make adjustments to the game to make it better. As far as PvP goes, I just try to avoid going against the VIP decks. I've beaten them a few times but it requires some luck and it takes forever and the rewards are not worth it. I can win 3 games against lower ranked teams in the time it takes to play one of those VIP ones and make more money and seals doing it.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Two weeks in a row of boring new troops. Hopefully something fun in the works for next week.