Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by stimpy »

Invite accepted.
Now tell me what to do.........lol
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Focus on leveling your kingdoms to level 10, having fun and finding a team you enjoy playing.

Do not donate money to the guild (the tasks) until you have unlocked all kingdoms and they are level 10. If you look at the tasks currently, you can see you'd be unlikely to make a difference before then.

Monday is task reset day. Enjoy getting showered with tons of crap (9 treasure maps (after the 9 maps, it switches to a different reward), hordes of gold keys, some souls, glory, diamonds, assortment of other keys...). After Monday, they trickle in much slower.

If you like, you can do the PVP guild wars. Looks like even if you lose, you still help the guild over all. If you win, you help us more. Not that the guild wars are particularly significant reward, but if you are going to PVP anyway, might as well get a slight bit more benefit.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I finally found a team I am comfortable enough with that I am leveling them all up as high as I can.

It's not the cards themselves that draw me in, but the current (weekly?) bonuses in play. I am taking advantage of both the kingdom bonus, and the knight bonus. Makes for a really buffed team right out of the gate!

Currently playing:

Knight Coronet
Griffon Knight
Boar Rider
Sir Gwayne

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is...not the same! :D

So if I had a better alternative for a green/purple card, I would use it, but Boar Rider it is for now. Actually not quite true...he's the first or second purple/green card I tried, and is working beautifully for now. Alts are: Dragonette, Hag, Spirit Fox and Star Gazer
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So if I had a better alternative for a green/purple card, I would use it, but Boar Rider it is for now.
Do you have Valkyrie yet? If you do, use her there. She will provide blue mana and lots of souls. This is basically the team I used for a good while. Except I had the alchemist instead of Sir Gwayne.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:Sir Gwayne is stupid. :evil:
See above.

I finally pulled him from a chest yesterday. I couldn't work out a good team for him. I am still using my Mist of Scales team. I did get a couple legendaries today (Kraken and ???), but again I couldn't figure out a good team for them so back to the Naga. The Kraken looks pretty sweet, but not sweet enough!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Been a while since i've played so i might pepper you folks with some questions....traitstones drop how? is it difficulty level?
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
persself

Post by persself »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So if I had a better alternative for a green/purple card, I would use it, but Boar Rider it is for now. Actually not quite true...he's the first or second purple/green card I tried, and is working beautifully for now. Alts are: Dragonette, Hag, Spirit Fox and Star Gazer
Love, love, love my Spirit Fox. Leveled him up as high as Ultra Rare allows (17 I think), and got all his traits, so he starts battles with full mana. But prior to that, he still saved my butt on countless battles.

Alistair
Ranger
Spirit Fox
Valkyrie or Hero, or something something

All are leveled up, but only Fox and Val are fully traited. Loving the team. Working on Rowanne and some others. Having a ball.

edit: Forgot to mention Spirit Fox is #7 on Tacet's (You Tube channel linked couple pages ago) list of 10 cards to Trait First...list was made in June 2016, so maybe a card or two released since then is on list? Don't know.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote:
Newcastle wrote:any chance newcastles can get an invite?
Magic 8 ball says... you will meet a tall, dark octopus. ???

Err, invite sent.

Meal - FYI, the 3 open slots are filled - Stimpy and Newcastle - invites sent, and Remus - waiting for his invite name to send.
I'm under STWHEELER if I could get an invite. :D

edit: corrected to show it is all caps
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Is there a benefit to having completed all the challenges for an area? Other than the obvious soul bonus?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Remus West wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:
Newcastle wrote:any chance newcastles can get an invite?
Magic 8 ball says... you will meet a tall, dark octopus. ???

Err, invite sent.

Meal - FYI, the 3 open slots are filled - Stimpy and Newcastle - invites sent, and Remus - waiting for his invite name to send.
I'm under STWHEELER if I could get an invite. :D

edit: corrected to show it is all caps
Invite sent.

Either Meal free'd up another slot or someone left the guild - whichever, there is now 1 more opening for the next person to stumble along.

If you want to join, drop your invite code with the request to join, we'll get you in that much quicker. :)
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So if i have spares of troops and can upgrade them from say common -> rare and such, should I do so asap? Or is there a reason to wait and develop them later? I seem to have a bunch of troops and with multiple copies of each and not sure what is the most cost efficient way to proceed.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Newcastle wrote:So if i have spares of troops and can upgrade them from say common -> rare and such, should I do so asap? Or is there a reason to wait and develop them later? I seem to have a bunch of troops and with multiple copies of each and not sure what is the most cost efficient way to proceed.
Unless you think you want to use/try them, it doesn't matter much. If you plan to use them, make sure you have enough if you plan to use more than one on a single team (I have 2 teams with 3 of the same card - Templar/3 Paladins; Deep Borer/3 Rock Worms).

The value of upgrading them is getting the kingdom they belong to leveled up. But you need 1500-2000 points or something like that to get the first upgrade. It's something like 50 pts/card of the kingdom, 25 pts per trait (75 points total for all 3 traits for each card), 10 points for each level - nothing for ascending (combining dups to raise the rarity level), but each upgrade lets you level up the card 1 more level so you can get 10 more points). Have to venture a guess, most of the people I have invited in the last couple weeks would not have near enough cards to get one level yet. But it doesn't hurt anything to ascend (upgrade/combine) them now.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Remus West wrote:Is there a benefit to having completed all the challenges for an area? Other than the obvious soul bonus?
I do not believe so
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zenn7 wrote:Have to venture a guess, most of the people I have invited in the last couple weeks would not have near enough cards to get one level yet. But it doesn't hurt anything to ascend (upgrade/combine) them now.
Hey, I have a silver star on two cities and am 75 points from a gold star on one city... but I have been playing kind of a lot. 125 more gems for the celestial armor.

600 for silver star (+50 gold per day)
1200 for first gold star (double tribute)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

coopasonic wrote:
Zenn7 wrote:Have to venture a guess, most of the people I have invited in the last couple weeks would not have near enough cards to get one level yet. But it doesn't hurt anything to ascend (upgrade/combine) them now.
Hey, I have a silver star on two cities and am 75 points from a gold star on one city... but I have been playing kind of a lot. 125 more gems for the celestial armor.

Bad guess. I only bother to worry about it when I think I've got enough souls saved up and enough cards in 1 kingdom that I might be able to get to/near the 5 gold star double the L10 bonus area.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Cortilian wrote:Pasting this here so I don't lose it. Got my 1st kingdom to 5 stars today for double bonus. Did Zhul'Kari as I had 13 troops for it. Still took a ton of souls and traitstones. Pretty much wiped out my souls. Had to double trait every troop also. +1 magic will be nice though.

The first thing to know is how Kingdom Score works:

The first 10 Troops are worth 50 points each and then 10 points each
The first 30 Traits are worth 25 points each and then 5 points each
The first 200 Levels are worth 10 points each and then 2 points each
Then we need to know how many points for each Kingdom Level:

Code: Select all

Silver star      600
Gold star      1,200
2 Gold stars   1,700
3 Gold stars   2,100
4 Gold stars   2,400
5 gold stars   2,600
6 gold stars   2,900
7 gold stars   3,200
8 gold stars   3,500
Now we can work out the maximum number of Stars possible for each Kingdom given their number of Troops:

Troops  Max Score   Max Stars
   8      2,600      5 Gold
   9      2,925      6 Gold
  10      3,250      7 Gold
  11      3,315      7 Gold
  12      3,380      7 Gold
  13      3,445      7 Gold
  14      3,510      8 Gold 
Reposting this here because some folks are now looking at staring up their kingdoms. You can use this table to decide the most efficient way to get your points for the stars.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Newcastle wrote:Been a while since i've played so i might pepper you folks with some questions....traitstones drop how? is it difficulty level?
Traitstones drop based on the kingdom you are fighting in. The drop quality is 100% random.

Master table of what drops where:
http://ashtender.com/gems/kingdomtable
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We made 10k seals again.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
persself

Post by persself »

coopasonic wrote:Hey, I have a silver star on two cities and am 75 points from a gold star on one city... but I have been playing kind of a lot. 125 more gems for the celestial armor.

I've been playing a ridiculous amount as well: 6 silver star kingdoms, but none are very close to gold star...could change rapidly on Mondays with the big guild drops.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

coopasonic wrote:We made 10k seals again.
Great cause I missed it last week.

Lousy cause 7k seals got me 1 legendary that I didn't really care about and no mythics. Is 1 more Carnex and 3 more Emperor Korvish's too much to ask for? Really??? :)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Is there a way to view your trait stones?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
persself

Post by persself »

stimpy wrote:Is there a way to view your trait stones?
It's in the Hero tab under "collection".
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

persself wrote:
stimpy wrote:Is there a way to view your trait stones?
It's in the Hero tab under "collection".
Thank you.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

I lost my first guild war fight. :shock:

They had a giant squid in first and last slot, dark maiden and the spider that converts gems to purple and summons swarmlings.

The dark maiden and spider kept getting huge gem conversions with many matches that fed the whole team and the squids had the huge trait - they must have gotten 30 or more life in that match. And they devoured at least 2 of my people. I just couldn't hit that first one hard enough, fast enough to take it down w/ the rate it was getting new life. Very frustrating.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I have yet to win a guild war battle! Close a couple of times. I guess I should just spend gems to buy souls and level my peeps to max.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I have yet to win a guild war battle! Close a couple of times. I guess I should just spend gems to buy souls and level my peeps to max.
You aren't going to win as a n00b. Save gems for armor unless you are going to pay cash for armor. +souls armor = more souls = more levels = more good

At least that's my theory. I have tons of cool cards, but my team is only around 2700... it just can't compete with the 4k+ teams I see in the guild wars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I already have dragon armor. Do I need to be using my hero as a troop to get the advantage of that? (also, in terms of CLASS, same question).

Spirit Fox is indeed amazing. Nuff said.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Armor bonus applies anytime, you don't need to slot your hero as a troop.

Man I had an awful frikkin weekend with this game. I am absolutely hating the event bonuses for guild wars. At least in PvP I can skip the ridiculous teams, Every other guild wars team had either Mythic Emperor Khorvash with 25% bonus to all stats or Mythic Knight Coronet with 50% bonus to all stats.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I need to read this whole thread to avoid asking a bunch of questions probably already answered but.....where do I get armor for my hero?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

You get armor from the armor tab in the shop. You should save all of your gems early on to buy the 500 gem Celestial armor. This will give you 100% boost on souls.

This link explains the different armor varieties.

http://gems-of-war.wikia.com/wiki/Armors
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rshetts2 wrote:You should save all of your gems early on to buy the 500 gem Celestial armor. This will give you 100% boost on souls.
...and be aware it will take a while. I think I am at 460 gems now after... hmm when did I start playing this? I guess it has been a couple weeks... I'm probably close to 500 games played.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Unlocked all the kingdoms this morning. 8-) A little surprised there wasn't an achievement for doing that.

So...many...quests...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Skinypupy wrote:Unlocked all the kingdoms this morning. 8-) A little surprised there wasn't an achievement for doing that.

So...many...quests...
Is this better than leveling a few Kingdoms first? I've been doing all the quests in each (as well as working on the challenges) before moving on to the next one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Remus West wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Unlocked all the kingdoms this morning. 8-) A little surprised there wasn't an achievement for doing that.

So...many...quests...
Is this better than leveling a few Kingdoms first? I've been doing all the quests in each (as well as working on the challenges) before moving on to the next one.
It seemed to make sense to me. I unlocked them all and leveled each one up to level 2 or 3. This gives a +2 or +3 bump to each color mana, as well as the gold and tribute/day.

Maybe it's more efficient to level them one at a time, I dunno.
Carpet_pissr

Gems of War (new F2P Match 3 by Puzzle Quest creator)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm not loving the current weekly bonus kingdom. Mostly freeze based spells, which to me seem to be the least powerful status effect. Maybe tied with 'disease' as weakest spell effect?

Currently running:

Winter Wolf (awesome)
Frost Lizard (meh)
Hellhound (woot!)
Yeti (meh)

Just not seeing the same synergy as I did with last week's team/combo.

Admittedly it took several team iterations to find one that gelled, but I don't have unlimited souls!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Skinypupy wrote:
Remus West wrote:

So...many...quests...
It seemed to make sense to me. I unlocked them all and leveled each one up to level 2 or 3. This gives a +2 or +3 bump to each color mana, as well as the gold and tribute/day.

I don't know about unlock before any leveling, but the general wisdom is level each to 4-6 before max leveling any kingdoms. The cost to go from 6 to 10 will get several kingdoms to 4-6 where the tribute/bonus mana is generally going to be worth more than getting 1 to level 10.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zenn7 wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Remus West wrote:

So...many...quests...

I don't know about unlock before any leveling, but the general wisdom is level each to 4-6 before max leveling any kingdoms. The cost to go from 6 to 10 will get several kingdoms to 4-6 where the tribute/bonus mana is generally going to be worth more than getting 1 to level 10.
and with that I just stopped trying to level my home to 10. :lol:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I hit level 50 this morning and opened up the option to assign 5 different teams.

My problem now is that while I love my current team (Hero, Luther, Alchemist, Valkyrie) and have had great success, I've maxed them all out. So now I need to find a new team that I can level further while I cross my fingers and hope to draw more Valk/Alch/Luthers so I can ascend them to the next level.

This is where leveling via souls becomes rather problematic. I've got 196 unique troops, and while I'd love to experiment and try different team configurations, each individual card has to leveled up significantly before being of any use at all. So if I level one then don't like it? I just wasted a resource I've now got to go and grind in order to get back. I realize that's how they monetize things (people get annoyed and just buy souls), but the limit it places on flexibility drives me nuts. Such is the bane of F2P games, I suppose. I wish there was a way to bring troops up to a minimum level so you could try them out, then decide whether or not to level them up further after that.

Their server seems to be having major issues this morning. Getting multiple disconnects on both wifi and my phone.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yeah, I see that. I have wasted a lot of souls getting a card to level 8 or 9 just to find out they don't really work in a team I am wanting to use. I consider trying different combinations to find a really good one, as part of the fun of the game (for me).

I think I would be very bored if I only used the same team week after week. I actually like the fact that they do the weekly bonus skills (which encourages using different teams). Also money maker for them! :D
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Well being in the guild has certainly brought me untold riches.
I'm still trying to find a team I'm happy with. A team may work in some situations, but not all.
I have to figure out how to counteract that.

Also, I seem to be focused on finishing all of the quests in a kingdom before moving on to others, which I haven't yet been able to do.
Am down to 1 or 2 quests in a couple kingdoms. Am I wasting my time trying to finish? Are the rewards worth it to do so?
He/Him/His/Porcupine