Morrowind 2016

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dave Allen

Morrowind 2016

Post by Dave Allen »

I’m investigating the options for another foray into Morrowind.

I did a vanilla GotY installation so I could compare the graphics and performance to running with OpenMW. The new engine is just about ready for primetime. I’ve spent a few minutes using OpenMW with an unmodded installation and it looks/runs amazingly better than the original game engine with all its current graphics modding!

Modding OpenMW is just like the original Morrowind, but some currently popular mods become unnecessary or won’t run. This new engine doesn’t use the Morrowind Code Patch and replaces the need for any script extenders. So mods based on MWSE, MGE, or MWE will not run any more, but that still leaves the vast majority of mods viable. All purely texture/mesh/replacer mods can still be used – and with more versatility, because OpenMW allows for multiple data folders and their priority is set in its .cfg -makes it simple to use or not use different textures.

I was also happy to find that OpenMW plays well with Skyrim UI Overhaul, Animal Realism, Herbalism for Purists, and the Run Faster mods. I still need the unofficial patch by Quorn (v1.6.6) for its hundreds of quest, spelling, grammar, voice, and object corrections. On this page you can check and add mods that are found compatible with OpenMW.

If anyone’s interested, I’ll paste my entire loadout – but 95% are textures. I’m looking for as close to the vanilla gameplay experience as possible.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Daehawk

Re: Morrowind 2016

Post by Daehawk »

Hard to believe it's release was 14 years ago this year. 2002. Wow. I got it not long after release. As I recall I tried 2 different times and couldn't get into it. I had dabbled in Arena and Daggerfall but not a lot. I wanted to like Morrowind.........or as I kept spelling it back then Morrowwind with 2 w :). The third go at it clicked. I modded it up to look better because it was probably a year later..and off I went. I LOVED that game and had SO much fun in it. I finished that game and was sad it was over. Of course I got Oblivion but never got close to finishing it and I have played the hell out of Skyrim and love it but never got close to finishing it either.

So I suppose to me nothing beats Morrowind. Lovely game. Beautiful and very fun. So many memories.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I'm having more fun with Morrowind than I ever had before - in large part to how well it runs in OpenMW.
All the shakyness/stuttering is gone completely and I minimize and restore anytime.

But its not just the OpenMW improvements. I've played Oblivion and Skyrim, too, but Morrowind's better in a way that SorcerorDave decribes better than I can.

Also, its exciting to realize I'm playing on the game engine which will one day be the premiere tool for RPG creativity - like RGPMaker is for 2D.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I reinstalled Morrowind a couple of months ago, along with Oblivion and Skyrim. The intention was to get all three to a 'final modded' state, then back them up so that I wouldn't have to go through the process anymore.

I'm looking at OpenMW. I love the idea, but I'm not sure how many of my beloved mods I'd have to leave behind. That would require some more research and decision making.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Blackhawk wrote:I love the idea, but I'm not sure how many of my beloved mods I'd have to leave behind.
You'll be surprised at how many purely graphics-enhancing mods are not necessary any more, Blackhawk.
The ones I kinda miss though are: denocking arrows, the ownership indicator cursor, and journal-writing.

Here IS what's running for me right now in OpenMW

Frost

Post by Frost »

I'm more interested in this Skywind remake of Morrowind using the Skyrim engine.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dave Allen wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I love the idea, but I'm not sure how many of my beloved mods I'd have to leave behind.
You'll be surprised at how many purely graphics-enhancing mods are not necessary any more, Blackhawk.
The ones I kinda miss though are: denocking arrows, the ownership indicator cursor, and journal-writing.

Here IS what's running for me right now in OpenMW
I'm very picky about my Morrowind mods - I prefer to keep the original flavor as much as possible, so I never have used a bunch of the popular stuff. I'm more concerned about the fixes, balance mods, renamers, custom locations, and a some of the world expansion stuff. Many of them aren't listed at all on the compatibility page (Wakim's Game Improvements, Vivec Expansion, Fashionable Merchants, No-Glo, Cliff racer removers, Unofficial Patch, etc.), while others that I consider core are listed as incompatible (Morrowind Comes Alive, Less Generic NPC Project, Fair Magicka Regen.)

So, for me it is a trade off. Morrowind set up the way I usually set it up, or Morrowind with a new engine. I may consider setting up two installs, one of each. That way I can test the engine and see if it is worth losing all the content.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Frost wrote:I'm more interested in this Skywind remake of Morrowind using the Skyrim engine.
Yeah, Skywind looks crazy ambitious. I'll play Morrowind again if they complete it -- especially if they update the combat to something more modern feeling.

Skywind Feb 2016 Progress Update
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As far as I feel now Ill never go back ever. I found it wonderful back then ...beautiful, fun, huge....I loved the game. Its just not a modern game by any means and I dont want to ruin any memories I have of it. So Ill stay away. I was thinking of trying another stab at Skyrim but noticed its 5 years old now. not sure Ill ever try. I loved it too but never finished it.
Frost

Post by Frost »

it was an incredible world, but I also feel like the combat just won't be enjoyable. Even then it was a liitle meh, but the story was so strong with lore. That's why I'm hoping the Skywind remake really happens.

Professional remakes of some of these great games would be welcome too, I think. I'm surprised we don't see more of that.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
JCC

Post by JCC »

While waiting for Skywind you could try Morroblivion (if you haven't before).
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When is Skybliviwind out?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

hitbyambulance wrote:you just reminded me of

http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/tomorrowind/
How could I have forgotten about Jeffk.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Dave Allen wrote:The ones I kinda miss though are: denocking arrows, the ownership indicator cursor, and journal-writing
OpenMW has added a few tweakables to their settings.cfg. You can customize the cursor color when it's over NPC-owned property. They also have an "always sneaking" setting > toggle sneak = true.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They are giving away Morrowind for free to celebrate The Elder Scrolls 25th anniversary. Also the game is free to play right now.

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/tes25