Overload [Kickstarter] [Descent Reincarnate]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Must resist... The original Descent team got the band back together to make a spiritual successor. Kickstarting now, due March 2017.
stimpy

Re: Overload [Kickstarter] [Descent Reincarnate]

Post by stimpy »

Zaxxon wrote:Must resist... The original Descent team got the band back together to make a spiritual successor. Kickstarting now, due March 2017.
Backed. The sound and music designer, Dan Wentz, is a very good friend of mine.
I still remember the weekend he drove out to Champaign to apply for the job, excited as all hell. And when he was offered and accepted the job, it was truly a gamers dream.
After endless hours in his basement playing Descent with him, it was unreal that he was now working on the sequel. Plus....beta testing and free copies of the games was a nice perk for me......
The work he did for them is his pride and joy, and since he is involved, there is no doubt this will live up to the standard that Descent set.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Cool story, stimpy.

They had me at "Descent", "Original team", "Single-player", "Boxed Edition", and "DRM-free".

All my boxes are ticked. Gotta find a bunch of money now.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ha. I'm still trying to resist, but did ask Kickstarter to remind me.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I hope they will bring back the Thief Bot! The little bastard that would steal some or all your stuff. Had a real love/hate relationship with that guy.

Edit: Here's an old article that sums up my feelings toward the Thief-bot.
I started thinking about this while I was playing Descent 2 recently. There’s this Thief-bot that steals your ship’s equipment and your weapons; there’s exactly one in every level. He (or she(or it)) is this little mother fucker that scurries around at alarming speeds and pops out of nowhere to steal your shit. Sometimes the only knowledge you have of his presence is the console message that says something like, “Thief-Bot stole headlamps.” Then you go spinning around trying to spot him but you can’t because everything is dark because your headlamps were stolen and the guy is super fast, like a small athletic rat. God damn Thief-bot. So, while playing Descent 2 I was more terrified of the Thief-bot than any other enemy in the entire game. I didn’t feel safe in a level until I’d killed the Thief-bot. I my tactics During Thief-bot were very different than After Thief-bot. In D.T. I would creep along the level, hugging the walls and tentatively peeking around corners. I’d try to always keep a dead end, wall, or known route at my back so it couldn’t sneak up on me. Once spotted I’d try to corner him in some dead end and spend many minutes trying to route him from his hiding spot while not letting him escape. In A.T. I’d go careening around the level at full speed blasting away at everything that haphazardly swung into my vision.
Last edited by Giles Habibula on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Holman

Post by Holman »

I feel like I knew at least one of the Parallax guys in Ann Arbor in the early 1990s. I'm sure I was at at least a couple of parties with them. Did they have any connection to the UM English Department?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There is now a free, playable demo on Steam, Overload Playable Teaser 2.0.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There were two teams. The team in Champaign ended up as Volition creating FreeSpace, Red Faction, Summoner and Saint's Row. The tech that was developed for Descent 4 went into Red Faction.

Mike Kulas is the guy from Champaign so this is the real deal. I met Mike on a tour of the company back in 1998 and he is brilliant. They even have Adam Pletcher for the story. FreeSpace and Summoner were his babies. Very impressed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Montag

Post by Montag »

This is now released. Looks like the VR needs a little work, but how is this? What controls did you use?
words
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

There's a playable "teaser 3.0" / demo from April, I think I'm going to download that and take it for a spin...
-mf