Out of the Park 17

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Exodor

Out of the Park 17

Post by Exodor »

Coming March 22.

I like some of the new features:
  • For the first time ever, fully licensed by both the MLBPA and MLB.com!
  • Over 150 authentic Minor League clubs with real logos and leagues,
  • For the first time ever, Out of the Park Baseball features FaceGen images for real players

One of the most tedious aspects of starting a new mlb league is manually fixing all the minor league teams - nice to know that will be a thing of the past.

$39.99 - preorder now to get it for $34.99
Last edited by Exodor on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Re: Out of the Park 17

Post by Octavious »

I think I'll only get this if the league I'm in upgrades. They will likely skip a version though. My friend is in the beta team so I'm sure he will feed me a lot of info on it. Even if I don't want to know. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
MindToyGames

Post by MindToyGames »

Eh. Nothing in that email screams "gotta have" at all, IMHO. Better 3D, expanded MLB license and fancier FaceGen stuff just don't seem enough for another $35.
Derek - Wayward Indie Game Designer/Doer of Many Things/CEO, SimProse Studios
My Steam Developer Clubhouse: https://store.steampowered.com/developer/simprose
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

MindToyGames wrote:Eh. Nothing in that email screams "gotta have" at all, IMHO. Better 3D, expanded MLB license and fancier FaceGen stuff just don't seem enough for another $35.
Agreed.
WPD

Post by WPD »

The individual trade team needs could be interesting, but I'll wait for 50% off either mid-season or during the playoffs.
Later ya'll.
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

I've bought every version off OOTP. Now for the first time I will skip it. Kinda sad. :?
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Bought it, for my online leagues.

Last I knew, they were planning to update the UI. I wonder if they did, and, if so, how effectively.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Updated UI is listed as one of the new features. I don't have any big beefs with the current one. I can find what I'm looking for. Shrug...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Heads up! OOTP wants to stress test their OOTP17 beta and folks are invited to sign up. You have to download, print and scan a NDA to be attached to your application. Those accepted get a Steam key (this is Steam only, by the way) for the beta which will also be good for the released game.

Testers Wanted for Final Stability/Stress Test for OOTP17
We're looking to add a limited number of people for the final phase of OOTP17 testing. Specifically:

-we particularly need Mac and Linux-based testers as well as Windows users
-all new testers must have a Steam account, since we're conducting this particular test on the Steam version only (that doesn't mean we're adding anything special for Steam, it's just simpler for us to handle it this way for this particular test)
-Markus needs you to be able to provide a lot of feedback this coming weekend (March 11-13)
-our main concern right now is testing stability on multiple platforms and identifying things like user interface bugs - we already have plenty of feedback on other issues, so we'd prefer the new testers to focus on the functional aspects of the game, and not things like AI behavior
-users with some OOTP-related posting history on our forums will get preference, but this will not be the only factor in who we choose - if you're not chosen, please don't take that as a reflection on your forum contributions

Anyone who is accepted will get a Steam key for OOTP17, which will give them access to the beta version of the game (and, once we've released, your test version will become the regular version of the game.) Since this is a special round of testing, tester reports will be handled entirely via email, rather than via the test forum.

To apply, email. We'll need all applicants to provide a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement. The NDA, in .pdf form, is attached below; please print, sign, and scan it, and return it with your application email. In the body of your email, please also list your forum username and the type of system (PC, Mac, Linux) you will be testing on.

No applications without an NDA will be accepted. Note that we need your actual signature on the document - digital signatures are not acceptable. We'll only retain the NDA's from the users actually selected to test; the rest will be deleted.

And we apologize in advance, but due to the expected volume of volunteers, it's not going to be possible to respond to everyone - I'll post again once we've filled the available slots.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Beta release is available to pre-order-ers as of Friday.

The feature that i was most interested in seems to be a bust. This year they're adding real minor league players to historical sims. One issue I've run into when starting up a new historical sim is the lack of available players during the first few years. That first year you only get players who appeared in MLB that year and if you don't use fictional minor league players (which kind of destroys the historical sim, in my opinion) you can easily run out of players if you have an injury or two. And since every team is in a similar situation there are rarely players available on the waiver wire or free agent pool - so a run of injuries to your outfielders can easily leave you without a warm body to throw out there.

I was hoping real minor league players would solve the problem but it seems that instead of assigning them to the team where they debuted they just get dumped into the free agent pool

Which I guess is better than running out of players but still seems a dumb way to implement it.

I also ran into a lot of weird issues trying to startup up a sim in 1946. Veteran players who didn't play in 1946 but came back into the league in 1947 get imported - for example, Dizzy Dean who played from 1930 - 1941 then played one game in 1947 appears as a free agent heading into that year.

I don't think that's how it worked in the past and seems kind of dumb.

I think I'm going to start a new league with the 1955 season (first year of the KC A's) and see if things work a little more smoothly.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Even though I probably shouldn't have I grabbed this today. Considering how much time I spend with my league and how much fun it is I feel like I need to throw them a bone. I really like the new 3d mode. Sure it's crude, but it's so much better than what they had before. Game seems to sim a lot faster. I'm starting in 1901, randomized the names and turned off the historical minor players. Going to sim up to modern times and start playing.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Octavious wrote:Even though I probably shouldn't have I grabbed this today. Considering how much time I spend with my league and how much fun it is I feel like I need to throw them a bone. I really like the new 3d mode. Sure it's crude, but it's so much better than what they had before. Game seems to sim a lot faster. I'm starting in 1901, randomized the names and turned off the historical minor players. Going to sim up to modern times and start playing.
Restarted my league in 1955 as the Kansas City A's. Man, that's a terrible team. I'm not sure how much luck I'll have improving it without free agency but I'll do my best.

I like the 3D mode too, it reminds me of Microleague Baseball that I played for hours as a kid.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya my dream has always been that they would get to the microleague level of graphics. I don't need anything more than that. This is a good start!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

On Steam sale for $20 for the next ~48 hours.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Although I'm usually only buying even number versions, I'm tempted to get this at the 50% off. However, I saw this recent review on Steam and I have concerns.
This review falls into the "great game, but ... " category.

I played a ton of OOTP about 10 years ago. Created a custom league, played a dozen or more seasons, and LOVED IT. Spent a lot of time on their forum, and enjoyed the community. Sure, there were some minor problems with the game, but they were just that -- minor.

I've kept an eye on the title since then, knowing that sooner or later I'd be back for more. The recent mid-summer sale was the final bit of incentive I needed. I took the plunge and bought OOTP 17.

All the new stuff that's been thrown in during the last decade looks damn cool. Problem is, the entire thing seems to be a house of cards. I played 7-8 historical games, and had some problems that took away a lot of the fun. For instance, when starting a new game, and trying to decide on lineups/batting order, the damn game won't show me statistics for one of the teams. (And yes, I've set it to "human" control for both teams.) All I get are a bunch of zeros in the stat categories, no matter how I toggle the display.

Then there's the play-by-play itself. Very frequently (several times a game), the animation will show a ball hit to one side, while the text pbp tells you someone on the other side of the field made the play. Talk about losing that feeling of immersion.

And now the last straw. The third time I tried to open the game, it refused. Turns out this is a fairly common problem, but none of the fixes I found online worked for me. I could keep trying, or wait until the developers work it out (because I'm sure they will, eventually). But there are just too many glitches in the product at this point for me to invest more time in it. Even if I could get it running again, I'm not going to take the chance of getting halfway through a season (or through several seasons) before some other fatal flaw rears its head.

Love the game and what the developer is doing. Not willing to pay for a product with these kind of problems.
That last problem sounds pretty serious, especially the "Turns out this is a fairly common problem". Are the problems mentioned by this guy typical?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Well, I bought the game off the sale, and I had to uninstall and reinstall my video driver to get the game to start.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I don't have OOTP17, but do have every other previous version over the last 15 years bar one. Every few years they really should take a step back and spend a season tightening the game rather than continuing to expand it. It doesn't make business sense to do that and they do eventually fix most problems, but it'd be nice...

Edit - And I don't mean not releasing any updates or a new game, I just mean spending the majority of their resources on improving what they have.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

What do you do when you're not playing in the post season?

If you're Salvy, you play OOTP:

:wub:
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image

:coffee: .. Out of the Park Baseball 18 Released Today on STEAM
:coffee: .. ootpdevelopments.com

For the first time, Out of the Park Baseball 18 introduces an all-new Challenge Mode. This allows series newcomers to enjoy a powerful way to learn the intricacies of this deep strategy title, while driving community engagement for all users via the creation of online profiles to share accomplishments on new leaderboards. The Challenge Mode is just the beginning of an all-new, long-term expansion of OOTP’s online platform -- more will be unveiled during the course of the 2017 baseball season.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 also includes:
Spoiler:
2017 roster sets with all Opening Day MLB rosters, as well as the complete minor league system from Triple-A down to rookie leagues and the Arizona Fall League. All major league (and over a thousand minor league) player ratings are based on the popular ZiPS player projection system. The 8 international leagues, as well as independent minor leagues in the US, also return this year with accurate rosters.

Historical Negro League clubs, thanks to a partnership with OOTP’s acclaimed historical database experts and Seamheads.com. This feature allows baseball fans to explore the rich history of a bygone era, create compelling what-if scenarios, pit major league clubs against their Negro League counterparts, and much more.

Improvements to 3D mode, including: Even more ballpark detail; better on-field player models and enhanced on-field decisions; and the ability to save all 3D highlights and watch a highlight reel, whether the game was played out or simulated.

Custom and real world tournaments for all the teams included in the game. National and international tournaments are a breeze to create, as is the ability to import historical teams.

Extensive AI improvements, including roster management, trades, and in-game decision-making.
A redesigned injury system that features detailed injury histories for all players, little nagging long-term injuries, and more.

Many more improvements, including:
. A beautiful new interface
. Improved game recaps
. An upgraded player morale/team chemistry system
. Enhanced play-by-play text and league news
. A sophisticated system for team relegation and promotion between leagues
. The ability to retain player salaries in trades
. The incorporation of many 2017 CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) rule changes
. Faster import speeds of historical minor league seasons

OOTP 18 runs on PC/Mac/Linux and, like last year, it features the American League and National League logos, the World Series trophy, official logos and jerseys for all 30 MLB teams, over 150 Minor League Baseball league and team logos, and historical MLB logos.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My league just upgraded to 2017. I can't see any reason for me to move to 2018 as I don't play it single player. Meanwhile I'm still trying to find a store that will sell MLB The Show before Tuesday. :lol:

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Octavious wrote:My league just upgraded to 2017. I can't see any reason for me to move to 2018 as I don't play it single player. Meanwhile I'm still trying to find a store that will sell MLB The Show before Tuesday. :lol:
If a store breaks street date, then all stores will sell MLB The Show before Tuesday (at least in an area). I am trying to decide if I need either of these or both... :mrgreen:
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Kelric wrote:I don't have OOTP17, but do have every other previous version over the last 15 years bar one. Every few years they really should take a step back and spend a season tightening the game rather than continuing to expand it. It doesn't make business sense to do that and they do eventually fix most problems, but it'd be nice...

Edit - And I don't mean not releasing any updates or a new game, I just mean spending the majority of their resources on improving what they have.
I agree with your sentiments, lots of niggling little problems just go on year after year, while new features of questionable benefit get added.

The problem, as you say, is the business sense. Markus is trying to make a living on the game (not sure how much salary he is paying to others, but that too) and I'm guessing a game like this just doesn't sell many copies with advertising copy that translates to "now everything works as designed."

I'm thinking that a niche game of this sort also faces real problems with its following breaking up into rather fanatic sub-niches. People (like me) who really only care about online play. Others who only care about historical play. A significant group that are all about modeling this season's rosters. Each group makes very definite demands for specific improvements, and those improvements are both resource-intensive and also just about worthless outside of that sub-niche.

As to 18... From what I gather, one significant upgrade this year will involve player personalities/team chemistry. This existed in 17 but tended to frustrate people. You knew your team had chemistry problems, but it was wild guesswork as to where the problems were coming from.

btw, for anyone who wants to get involved in online play, I commish three different leagues, each of which will finish the current season in 17 and then move to 18.

Extra Innings has the standard modern teams, with the play extended many years into the future. http://www.bemont.net/extrainnings/forum/index.php
Dog Days Baseball takes place in a fictional country, and has sixty-some years of history. http://www.bemont.net/
Pennant Chase Baseball is a simple, small, fictional league, with no scouting and small file size. http://www.bemont.net/pcbl/index.htm

The first one has no vacancies at this moment, but no waiting list. The other two have vacancies. If anyone is interested, shoot me an email.
dbemont at rochester.rr.com
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

dbemont wrote:As to 18... From what I gather, one significant upgrade this year will involve player personalities/team chemistry. This existed in 17 but tended to frustrate people. You knew your team had chemistry problems, but it was wild guesswork as to where the problems were coming from.
I hope so - this feature was hopelessly broken in 17. It was enough to put me off from playing the game at all and I've been playing for a decade or more.

I haven't bought 18 yet. In the past you'd get a Steam key along with the license when you pre-order but this year the Steam license is separate so I'll just buy it on Steam. Sometime. Maybe.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've always been intrigued by the series, but only having a tangental interest in baseball, my interest comes from viewing it as a strategy game with unfamiliar systems. At the same time, I've held off due to the learning curve.

I read that '18 is a lot friendlier to noobs. Can someone confirm that? Is it finally time for a nebbish like me to add it to my wish list?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

tgb wrote:I've always been intrigued by the series, but only having a tangental interest in baseball, my interest comes from viewing it as a strategy game with unfamiliar systems. At the same time, I've held off due to the learning curve.

I read that '18 is a lot friendlier to noobs. Can someone confirm that? Is it finally time for a nebbish like me to add it to my wish list?
It's hard for me to say. I was a huge baseball fan growing up and into my 30s, but have totally lost interest in real MLB, probably haven't watched a game in 25 years. That is rarely a hindrance to me with OOTP, but I do know baseball rules and conventions very well. Not sure how this game would hit me if I didn't.

I've always looked at the user interface as the toughest thing to get used to. Way, way back when I first bought the original, I almost quit the game permanently over the insane way the menus are organized. Markus keeps changing the UI, but to my way of looking at it, it never gets better. It's almost like a perceptual problem he has. (Silly example, but you'd think that the draft pool for the upcoming ammy draft would be accessible in an easy way... but in 17, you had to dig down several levels to the free agent pool, and then find a different tab in the free agent pool marked draft pool. Crazy... Well, I see someone must have convinced him it was a crazy location, because in 18 he changed it... by burying both the free agent pool and ammy draft pool one level deeper, still together, but even more difficult to find.) If this kind of thing bothers you, the game will probably make you rage quit. But if not, my guess is that you'd get through the learning curve. (And I am glad to help with any questions.)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

But to help with that UI problem, do they still have bookmarked pages so you can reach wherever you want to go somewhat more easily?