Sniper Elite 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

persself

Sniper Elite 4

Post by persself »

From RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... announced/. Includes a trailer.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. :horse:
Last edited by persself on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Rip

Re: Sniper Elite 4 Announced: Arrives Later 2016

Post by Rip »

Excited but that trailer is a non-starter.

Not a single sniper and not much of anything to get excited about.
persself

Post by persself »

Rip wrote:Excited but that trailer is a non-starter.

Not a single sniper and not much of anything to get excited about.
Oh I know the trailer sucks; just wanted to show "proof" it's coming.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I'd heard rumors but I'm glad to see it's really happening. I also cannot imagine levels magnitudes of order larger than what they had in parts of Sniper Elite 3 -- some of those environments were ridiculous. I'm also nervous this will also mean it's time for a new PC. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
persself

Post by persself »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I'd heard rumors but I'm glad to see it's really happening. I also cannot imagine levels magnitudes of order larger than what they had in parts of Sniper Elite 3 -- some of those environments were ridiculous. I'm also nervous this will also mean it's time for a new PC. :D
+1 to this. My laptop ran very hot playing 3, and with the talk of even better graphics, I'm going to need to upgrade as well. It's time though, as I only have a GTX 560m currently.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'll buy one of these games every year for as long as they care to make them.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:Not a single sniper and not much of anything to get excited about.
I heard a round being chambered at the end. That's all I needed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Saw this interview buried on Blues:
The smallest level in Sniper Elite 4 is actually three times bigger than the largest level in Sniper Elite 3, which should give you some type of sense as to how much bigger we are going.
That's ridiculous. New computer...incoming.

But this sounds like a game-changer:
One of the other things that’s important to say is that we’ve completely reworked the AI system so that behaviours in game are fully emergent now. We aren’t scripting the behaviours of the AI so they pop into existence as you come around the corner. All the AI are active across the map at all times. They are all following their own routines, potentially following their orders as troops, whether they are on patrol or on look out, or just skiving off. The AI behaves according to what the player does and they adapt their behaviour accordingly. They pay attention to things like the hierarchy, like if there’s an officer in the squad and he orders troops to move forward. If you take the officer out, his troops are more likely to cower in cover. If you injure a guy, one of the other guys, if they deem in safe enough, will run out to rescue their teammate, then pull him back under cover before resurrecting him. There’s loads and loads of cool stuff going on in there. The AI pays far more plausible attention to bodies this time around
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That sounds pretty awesome.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
persself

Post by persself »

Gameplay footage looks great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LaD4135fw
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just saw an announcement on Blues about it being delayed to 2017:
Independent UK developer Rebellion is delighted to announce the release date for Sniper Elite 4: its new entry in the award-winning, chart-topping World War 2 shooter franchise will open next year’s Q1 of big-hitting game releases, landing worldwide on February 14, 2017 for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Jason and Chris Kingsley, co-founders of Rebellion, explained the decision to release the studio’s marquee title in February:

“When we revealed Sniper Elite 4 back in March our plan was to release it at the end of 2016,” they explained, “However, we now know Battlezone will release in October as a launch title alongside PlayStation VR. That gave us a tough decision to make. Ultimately, we’re a relatively small independent studio, and releasing two major titles in the same quarter didn’t seem like a sensible thing to do. A few of our shared internal teams will probably sleep a bit easier now!”

While this does mean players will have to wait just a little longer to get their hands on the title, there is another big benefit to a 2017 release:

“Launching Sniper Elite 4 in February gives us the opportunity to take a game that’s already received some of the best preview feedback we’ve ever had, and give it that extra bit of attention,” the Kingsley brothers affirmed, “We know a lot of you will be disappointed you won’t get to play Sniper Elite 4 this year, but we feel this decision will prove in the long run to be a win-win for both us and you, the fans.”

Keep your eyes peeled for further developments throughout E3, and keep your ears open for more details on one of the most anticipated World War 2 shooters for a generation.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Ouch.
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My wife really doesn't like the x-ray kills and they have cranked it up to 11 on this one. It's sad that they put all that work into them and I have to turn them off.

Also, there was way too much making noise and hand to hand going on in that video.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
persself

Post by persself »

Pre-order up on Steam; release date states Feb. 14th.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Happy Valentine's day, let's kill some people!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

More motivation for trying to get that heart shot on release day.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Re: Sniper Elite 4 Announced: Arrives February 14, 2017

Post by jztemple2 »

Less than a week away from the release of Sniper Elite 4 (Steam page). I've been playing other games but I'm burned out on XCOM2 Long War 2 and nothing I've played recently looks interesting to me. The trouble is that, will SE4 feel like déjà vu all over again versus Sniper Elite 3? I put in only seven hours on SE3; I liked it at first, but for some reason I got tired of it, most likely because I was still playing Fallout 4 on and off and XCOM 2 was coming out.

I've looked as some of the previews, but haven't been wowed. Am I missing some new play element that would make my solo gameplay significantly different than in SE3?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I have pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (or whatever it's called) through Gamersgate, the still have a 25% discount https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SNIPER-EL ... xe-edition

I could really do without the gore but I actually played all three games and ( a rare thing for me), finished both the second and the third and really liked them (mostly). I'm not a fan of these fast-paced shooters with spawn points that throw waves and waves of enemies at you and Sniper Elite lets me set the pace, which I like. There is, of course, some gamey stuff (like the masking of shots) but otherwise, it incentivizes you to play semi-realistic with searching for good spotting points, going slowly and methodical and setting traps.

I almost never pre-order games (I buy everything electronically and what can happen - they run out of bytes shortly after release?) but I know I'll play this one on my new computer and the discount was good enough for launch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I reinstalled Sniper Elite 3 and picked up where I left off, at Siwa Oasis crouching in a well with Germans all around me. Not good :? . So I restarted the map and hey, it's a lot more fun than I remember :D . Like ChuckB, I'm also a fan of the slow paced shooters although as he noted, it is a bit gamey at times. I'll continue playing SE3 and if it continues to entertain me, I'll probably pre-order the standard version on Green Man Gaming as a VIP. I did look at the Deluxe version, but I've been disappointed with the Season Pass content on a number of games so I'll pick up the pass later if it sounds like it's worth it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
KDH

Post by KDH »

Have either of you looked at Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 ? ... It appears to be light-years ahead of the second iteration.

open world .. driving .. drones .. landmines and salvaging enemy landmines for parts ... multiple weapon and ammo types (including some hokey ones .. like tagging bullets)

thug: .. oh, hey, I've been shot
ghost: .. no, mate, that's just so I can kill you later .. sheesh
thug: .. oh, good, for a moment there I was worried

SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR 3 - 68 Minutes of Gameplay Walkthrough Demo
Ain't nobody got time for that
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sniper Elite
9.5 hrs on record

Sniper Elite V2
2.5 hrs on record

Sniper Elite 3
15.6 hrs on record

Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
0.7 hrs on record
My sniper history is fairly erratic it seems. I think I remember Ghost Warrior 2 being way harder than the Elite games but not in a good way.

I'll check out GW3, but not until later. Too much going on now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

KDH wrote:Have either of you looked at Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 ? ... It appears to be light-years ahead of the second iteration.
It doesn't come out till April and I'm looking at games right now to fill the time till tax season is over and my wife is home a lot more of the time :D. I did try the SGW2 demo and wasn't impressed.

I did notice that there is a knife attack in the SE4 trailers, that would be nice. The melee attack in SE3 isn't doing it for me, it seems like I have to be really too close to initiate it.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

KDH wrote:Have either of you looked at Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 ? ... It appears to be light-years ahead of the second iteration.

open world .. driving .. drones .. landmines and salvaging enemy landmines for parts ... multiple weapon and ammo types (including some hokey ones .. like tagging bullets)

thug: .. oh, hey, I've been shot
ghost: .. no, mate, that's just so I can kill you later .. sheesh
thug: .. oh, good, for a moment there I was worried

SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR 3 - 68 Minutes of Gameplay Walkthrough Demo
I have not. I have played the first one and I can't remember much about it (or where I left off) - the thing I remember was that it felt much more on rails than Sniper Elite, meaning it forces you to follow a certain path and that there was less freedom overall to pick your own approach. I distinctly remember having trouble with one mission early on where you have to attack an enemy-held refinery and the game had trouble handling its own trigger points for events, meaning I failed the mission because I did not do exactly what the game wanted me to do. I also remember very cheesy characters and storyline.

I started playing the second one after I finished Sniper Elite 3 (I think) and the same issues came up and I lost interest.

The third iteration is, therefore, something for me for a Steam sale.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I might be passing on SE4. I just ran into this bug in the Siwa Oasis mission :grund: . According to the Steam thread there is no real solutions, only suggestions, most of which involve replaying the map. I'm not up for that. If there's not a workaround for this I'm not going to drop bucks on SE4 and hope that it doesn't have similar issues.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

jztemple2 wrote:Well, I might be passing on SE4. I just ran into this bug in the Siwa Oasis mission :grund: . According to the Steam thread there is no real solutions, only suggestions, most of which involve replaying the map. I'm not up for that. If there's not a workaround for this I'm not going to drop bucks on SE4 and hope that it doesn't have similar issues.
Sorry to hear that - I remember this level, it's pretty huge and replaying would certainly take a while ...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Timing is Everything - launch trailer.

I enjoyed Sniper Elite 3 tremendously and Part 3 of the "Save Churchill" DLC is one of the best game levels I've ever played. Wide open, gigantic and a lot of fun with a sniper rifle. I want to get this game, but I overindulged during the STEAM holiday sale and now I'm backed up beyond my capability...it would just sit untouched. I'm hoping to make some headway for the summer sale, but even that seems like it might be too much. I'm still really excited about this game and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it from some of you. :D
persself

Post by persself »

Smoove_B wrote:Timing is Everything - launch trailer.

I enjoyed Sniper Elite 3 tremendously and Part 3 of the "Save Churchill" DLC is one of the best game levels I've ever played. Wide open, gigantic and a lot of fun with a sniper rifle. I want to get this game, but I overindulged during the STEAM holiday sale and now I'm backed up beyond my capability...it would just sit untouched. I'm hoping to make some headway for the summer sale, but even that seems like it might be too much. I'm still really excited about this game and I'm looking forward to hearing all about it from some of you. :D
+1 except my problem is hardware; I've yet to get a new laptop to handle this. Killing me ! Hope it's at least as good as 3 was...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote:Well, I might be passing on SE4. I just ran into this bug in the Siwa Oasis mission :grund: . According to the Steam thread there is no real solutions, only suggestions, most of which involve replaying the map. I'm not up for that. If there's not a workaround for this I'm not going to drop bucks on SE4 and hope that it doesn't have similar issues. I'm still going to end up pre-ordering SE4 because I'm weak and I'm just going to hope that there isn't going to be a stupid problem like this one in SE4.
Note the change :roll:

Standard version ordered on Green Man Gaming for 20% off, pre-loading now :dance:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really like sniper games. own some and played more. They can be great fun or pull your hair out frustrating at times.

This one looks great.

Sniper Elite 4 DLC Target Further MAX GRAPHICS
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've read some previews and this one from PC World, Sniper Elite 4 preview: More sniping, less shooting, pushed me into my pre-order decision. Especially this bit:
Sniper Elite 4 is the fulfillment of its predecessor’s ambitions, more akin to the open-ended stealth of Far Cry, Metal Gear Solid V or Hitman. Which is not to say Sniper Elite 4 is on a level with those; its stealth systems are more simplistic, its AI soldiers a bit dumb at times, and its World War II setting and story nothing you haven’t seen before.

But Sniper Elite 4 feels like a proper sniping game. We played a single level of its Italian campaign, tasked with taking down a Nazi general and four other high-ranking officers on a sprawling island packed with isolated villages, military checkpoints, docks, and a large villa headquarters. It took me about an hour to complete, and I didn’t even bother taking down most of the enemy guards.

Best of all: You don’t have to. I think that’s what appeals to me most about Sniper Elite 4 so far. Skirting around fortified positions, sneaking up from the rear and shooting a single officer is just as legitimate a tactic as taking down every Nazi in sight. That’s a welcome change from Sniper Elite 3, which often packed maps full of choke-points to force the player into a confrontation.
And my video card seems up to the task. Minimum is a GeForce GTX 660, but recommended is a GTX 970. My GTX 780 is looking pretty close to the recommended.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those pre-ordering, this thread over on the game's Steam discussions board has a post from the developers that says "Goes live at 1 minute past midnight on the 14th February. GMT". So that's 7pm on the East Coast, USA for me, or rather a bit later, once my wife has fallen asleep :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:For those pre-ordering, this thread over on the game's Steam discussions board has a post from the developers that says "Goes live at 1 minute past midnight on the 14th February. GMT". So that's 7pm on the East Coast, USA for me, or rather a bit later, once my wife has fallen asleep :roll:
So 6pm here.. and I am *so* far from being done with Long War. I just started infiltrating the Advent Blacksite. I am afraid if I step away from it I won't come back. Anyhow, snipey time when I get home tonight!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From Kotaku, perfect for the patient shooter.
And so I stealth, taking my own sweet time working my way from objective to objective in Sniper Elite 4's spacious campaign maps. I find a nice spot, use my binoculars to mark every target I can see, and then cycle through different means of dispatch. Maybe I’ll just sit in my perch and alternate between sniping and hiding, never giving the enemy time to figure out where the shots are coming from. Or fill an open building with tripwires and mines, using tossed rocks or the sounds of stray gunfire to lure enemies to their doom. Sometimes I’ll just hang out in the bushes, waiting for just the right moment.
Other than a few spots where I didn't feel they gave you much of a choice, this is exactly how I played Sniper 3, so I'm happy to read this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dangit! I wanted this to suck so I wouldn't want to play it. Now it will sit there, mocking me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
KDH

Post by KDH »

Sniper Elite 4 PC Technical Review

:horse: Graphical settings and framerates
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

KDH wrote:Sniper Elite 4 PC Technical Review

:horse: Graphical settings and framerates
Thanks for posting that link, settings do confuse the hell out of me sometimes. Good to see that the key bindings are fully customizable, although I usually play with a controller I might make an exception here.

From that page there is a link to the PC Invasion review of the game. I skimmed through it as I don't want to spoil anything, but in the summary the reviewer appears to be giving the game only seven out of ten because it doesn't bring that much new to the table from SE3. Now that annoys me :evil:. I can see mentioning it, but I don't agree with downgrading a score just because it is similar to the previous game. If this was true people would be giving the latest Civilization game a negative score :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darlin'
You give love a bad name

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven, then put me through Hell
Chains of love got a hold on me
When passions a prison, you can't break free

Oh, you're a loaded gun, yeah
Oh, there's nowhere to run
No one can save me
The damage is done

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name (bad name)
I play my part and you play your game
You give love a bad name (bad name)
You give love, a bad name
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the game is unlocked unlocking, but there is a launch day 2GB patch to download so get those computers fired up! I probably won't even be starting the game for a couple of hours yet.

Corrected, the unlocking process is, as usual for Steam, taking forever :grund:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote:And the game is unlocked, but there is a launch day 2GB patch to download so get those computers fired up! I probably won't even be starting the game for a couple of hours yet.
Ooh. Sorry, Smoove. :doh:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)