Sniper Elite 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Sniper Elite 4 Announced: Arrives February 14, 2017

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, and it also appears to be unpacking those 33+GB of content, my CPU is really getting a workout...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

jztemple2 wrote:
KDH wrote:Sniper Elite 4 PC Technical Review

:horse: Graphical settings and framerates
Thanks for posting that link, settings do confuse the hell out of me sometimes. Good to see that the key bindings are fully customizable, although I usually play with a controller I might make an exception here.
I loathe controllers in general, but a precision sniping game seems extra horrific to use one on. Mad props!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I'm using the mouse and so far, it's OK. I might have to lower the sensitivity a bit.

Alright, I've fired it up, tried out the range, played with the loadouts and gone through parts of the tutorial. First up, my graphics settings, as determined by the program. I used what they picked out, except I activated the Vsnyc. At the range I got a decent 60 fps almost all the time. My rig: Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive

And here's how it looked at the range:

Enlarge Image

And walking around there:

Enlarge Image

It actually looks very nice. I'll probably bump up the settings a bit after I get into the first mission.

I'm also seriously thinking of upping the difficulty from Marksman (Normal) to the next most difficult and seeing how I like it, but again, maybe after the first mission.

Two things I don't like. One is the new loadout system. I liked how SE3 showed you the actual stuff, but in SE4 it's a schematic approach. Probably more efficient, but not as cool:

Enlarge Image

And I hate how the tutorial screens work. Each looks like a page from a manual, but you can't go from page to page, you have to either press "close" or use escape to go back to the menu to open the next page. Can't believe they didn't just had a set of arrows to go forward, back or to the menu. Unless I'm missing something.

Enlarge Image

So those are the nits. I'm off to try my first mission.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Played the game overall 87 minutes, 48 minutes in the campaign. Stats:
Enlarge Image

First impressions are very favorable :clap:. The game definitely feels different from Sniper Elite 3, which I played only a few days ago. So far, and again these impressions are from 48 minutes on the first campaign mission, most everything feels more like an open world game rather than the more constrained maps on SE3. I don't feel like I'm being channeled to go a certain way. I did try to be very stealthy in my first play-through of the mission, but damn if I didn't trigger an enemy response early on. The AI isn't way smart, but they did try to kill me from a distance and only moved towards me when I moved away and out of their line of sight. And dammit, they used grenades on me! Eventually I did kill about a half dozen of them, but I'm guessing since this is the first map it wasn't made too hard on me. The enemies were all low level soldiers and I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

I then moved farther on the map and sniper killed a few more, but I probably could have just snuck by them if I had the patience :roll:. Also, rather surprisingly, I'm finding myself shooting from less than a hundred yards/meters alot, it's just that it feels farther away. This first mission map seems pretty large, hopefully they all are like this.

And I'm continuing using mouse/keyboard instead of controller and it's working very well.

By the way, don't get freaked out when at the start of the mission there seem to be a lot of options not working, like the map and manual saves. Those get unlocked pretty quickly, they just wanted the player to ease into the controls and interface.

More later.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yummy. Finished the first three, this bodes well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

It's pretty, and good . . . but why doesn't the default reticle have ticks at 100 meters? I can't shoot for shit with this thing.

[edit] - That aside, I will say that from playing the first map, the generators are more plentiful, and noisier, and that if your goal is to just snipe away forever, this game is your game. I already like it dramatically more than the last ones, because, for the most part, you don't even need to relocate as much, as long as you play it right.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Finished the first campaign mission at Normal difficulty. It took two hours, twenty minutes (2:20) of game time, although the mission stats say that the mission time was 2:09. I'm assuming the difference is from reloaded saves. According to the campaign stats page I'm 9% done with the campaign. Definitely fun, but I'm finding Marksman (Normal) difficulty a bit too easy. This is especially true with enemy soldiers showing up on your radar mini-map without you having to look for them. I think I might replay the first mission on a higher difficulty and see how it goes.

In the first mission my longest kill was 222 meters, however, there were fewer circumstances where you could take long ranged shots than I hoped there were. However, I approached the mission in one way on the map, I could just as easily approached it another way. I'll also try that on the replay and see if it is just as viable.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

jztemple2 wrote:This is especially true with enemy soldiers showing up on your radar mini-map without you having to look for them. I think I might replay the first mission on a higher difficulty and see how it goes.

In the first mission my longest kill was 222 meters, however, there were fewer circumstances where you could take long ranged shots than I hoped there were. However, I approached the mission in one way on the map, I could just as easily approached it another way. I'll also try that on the replay and see if it is just as viable.
Map dots show up in the next higher difficulty as well. [edit] - And I agree, it makes everything too easy.

I feel like you missed out on some opportunities . . . my longest kill on the first mission was 399.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Started the first (tutorial) mission and like it so far. It looks really good, better than SE3 and especially the lighting is very nice. I'm also pleasantly surprised how well it runs on my (gaming) laptop (i7-7700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 16GB, Win 10) - I have everything set to Ultra (or highest possible) and a get a constant 43+ FPS at 2560x1440 (DX12).

It definitely feels familiar but also revised in parts. Not a huge fan of the large icons that are shown on screen (such as the large icons over tagged enemy soldiers) but I agree with what has been written before - some of the longer shots feel "longer' due to a different default zoom (I believe). Yes, the scope doesn't seem to have ticks but there is a manual compensation for 100f steps and this is probably good enough, will likely switch of the aim support diamond.

And yes, Italy has more colors than North Africa ...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fretmute wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:This is especially true with enemy soldiers showing up on your radar mini-map without you having to look for them. I think I might replay the first mission on a higher difficulty and see how it goes.

Map dots show up in the next higher difficulty as well. [edit] - And I agree, it makes everything too easy.

I feel like you missed out on some opportunities . . . my longest kill on the first mission was 399.
Mine was in 3-teens range, 314 or 316 or something like that. I waited for a while to get a long shot on the main target, but it never appeared... probably for the best since you need to get up close to him to finish the mission anyway. :P

I think my stats for the first mission were 1:54 play time. 54 kills, 49 ghost kills. The sloppy kills were largely because I was becoming impatient with the crouched walking speed. The first unlock I purchased was suppressed pistol ammo to help with this issue.

It's funny that I feel kind of the opposite of everyone in that it feels just like 3 to me. The map might be bigger, but that's about it. I am still kicking generators to make noise to cover my shots and shooting explodey things to make booms and looking for the longest shot I can manage. I'm glad the generators seem to make noise more often so I spend less time waiting for sound cover.

I was a little disappointed to notice that didn't I complete any of the challenges running the first mission despite the fact that I definitely did what was required for two of them (no healing and 15+ sound-masked shots).

I am not sure if I go back to Long War 2 tonight or this.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote:I am still kicking generators to make noise to cover my shots and shooting explodey things to make booms and looking for the longest shot I can manage. I'm glad the generators seem to make noise more often so I spend less time waiting for sound cover.

I was a little disappointed to notice that didn't I complete any of the challenges running the first mission despite the fact that I definitely did what was required for two of them (no healing and 15+ sound-masked shots).
Yeah, I like the new broken generator noise, it really does sound like it would mask your fire. And I did find the challenges a bit off-putting. I'm not one who really alters their gameplay to achieve some abstract goal.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I replayed the first mission (unusual for me) and this time on a Difficulty of Elite (Hard). And this time instead of going anti-clockwise on the island I went clockwise, and it did indeed play out quite differently. I didn't notice much difference from Normal, maybe more aggressive AI and I did miss a few early shots till I learned to be more patient. The replay took 1h43m, a bit shorter than the first one, but you'd expect that. I achieved 86% of "Perfection" according to the stats, apparently missing some collectables. I've unlocked the "Zoom" upgrade for my Springfield and have about 3/4 of the need points for Damage. And I've barely accomplished anything towards the Recoil upgrade.

I also now have nine tokens to unlock new weapons and accessories and I have my usual issue of not wanting to buy the wrong thing so I'll probably end up spending nothing :roll:. I went into the mission each time with practically no equipment loadout, only a couple of grenades and bandages, but I was able to load up pretty fast from stuff laying around and dead bodies.

The points system still has the same issue that SE3 had, that you are encouraged to go all Rambo on a level, killing everyone in sight to get more points and extra equipment. Still, for most folks a game where you were encouraged to only kill the targets and not touch the other people would be pretty boring and not much of a seller.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I replayed the first mission as well, going for the challenges. I got 4 out of 5. Foliage kills requires patience and are counter to the need to get 50 SMG kills. By the way, getting 50 SMG kills while simultaneously using no healing and killing all officers with trip wires is... tricky. Luckily the sound masked kills was easy, lots of planes flying over as I murdered everyone with my SMG. :twisted:

That got me up to 8th level and enough money to buy the gun of my choice. None of them really seemed better than what you start with. I picked up some suppressed rifle ammo for lack of anything better to buy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I feel as if the breadth of the challenges and the high number of side missions will really enhance replay value. I accidentally finished the third (I think) mission last night because I had the main objective confused with a side, and it took me an hour . . . and I only completed two out of five or six.

I think I may have to train myself to just not look at the minimap, because I really feel that the enemies showing up as they do trivializes an aspect of the game. Aside from that, I have nothing but praise.

I'm also glad that I bought myself a new rig for Christmas, because I am currently getting about 90 FPS at 2560x1440 on Ultra.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fretmute wrote:I think I may have to train myself to just not look at the minimap, because I really feel that the enemies showing up as they do trivializes an aspect of the game. Aside from that, I have nothing but praise.
I haven't looked at the custom difficulty options, but can you turn off unmarked enemies on the minimap there? Or turn off the minimap altogether?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote:
Fretmute wrote:I think I may have to train myself to just not look at the minimap, because I really feel that the enemies showing up as they do trivializes an aspect of the game. Aside from that, I have nothing but praise.
I haven't looked at the custom difficulty options, but can you turn off unmarked enemies on the minimap there? Or turn off the minimap altogether?
Those looked as if they were mostly to tweak ballistics and AI aggressiveness. Plus, it seems you disable achievements when you use custom, which seems dumb if I want to make it _harder_.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fretmute wrote:I accidentally finished the third (I think) mission last night because I had the main objective confused with a side, and it took me an hour . . . and I only completed two out of five or six.
I did this but just reloaded the last save and went back and finished all the goals before triggering that mission ending action.

I have nine hours in the game, with two playthroughs of the first mission, the first time on Normal, the second time on Hard. And have also done the second and third missions, both on Hard. This tells me that Hard isn't that hard, as I'm doing OK, with only a couple reloads, mostly because I got bored with sneaking and went in guns blazing :roll:.

It's looking to be about two hours on each mission, so with eleven missions (including the Hitler DLC) if I'm looking to more than twenty-some hours out of it I'll have to be replaying missions. Replaying the first one wasn't too bad, but I don't know how much I'll care about redoing all of them. I don't find a lot of satisfaction altering my play style just to get Challenges.

I'm also torn about the weapon upgrades. I've upgraded my Springfield in two of three areas, but the last area requires a lot of shoulder shots (not using the scope). Do I want to go through mission after mission trying to avoid using the scope, just to upgrade? And I now have seventeen tokens, so maybe I want to switch to new weapons and equipment.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys. I had completely forgotten this was on the way. I grabbed it at Gamersgate, where both versions are still 23% off for the next couple of days.

Still lots of fun. I'm really enjoying the new setting (I'm still in the first mission). The X-Ray Kill Cam looks bloodier than ever. I love sniping over these longer distances.

It's been years since I played V2, and I skipped over 3, but I'm optimistic, and opted for the highest difficulty (no aids) to start with, as these sniping games are the only games I can still do well with at that difficulty.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

jztemple2 wrote:... so with eleven missions (including the Hitler DLC)
I've been reading 8 base missions total from various places. Other sources say 10.

Or is the Hitler DLC actually comprised of 3 missions?
I'm confused.

edit: Doesn't matter. If they are all as big as this first one, even just 8 missions is plenty for me.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There are ten locations in the base game, plus the one in the Hitler DLC. Each one has one or more primary objectives plus secondary objectives.

I gave up after sixteen hours. It was fun at first, I even replayed the first mission. But by the fifth mission it was all feeling too routine and that's my Kryptonite in playing games, I just don't like it when it becomes a grind. I did play the sixth location, got the primary goal and several secondary ones, but just felt like I was going through the motions and so I completed that level but then uninstalled. Maybe I'll pick it up again sometime later, like I did with SE3.

I don't complete too many games, but the ones I do complete, like the GTA series, or the two Watch_Dogs games, or Homefront Revolution, it's because the game provides some changes to the gameplay, whether driven by the enemies or the situation or the locale. In SE4 I just began to feel like I was going through the same process to achieve each objective, or rather one of two approaches. I guess I need more of a story.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote:I replayed the first mission as well, going for the challenges. I got 4 out of 5. Foliage kills requires patience and are counter to the need to get 50 SMG kills. By the way, getting 50 SMG kills while simultaneously using no healing and killing all officers with trip wires is... tricky. Luckily the sound masked kills was easy, lots of planes flying over as I murdered everyone with my SMG. :twisted:

That got me up to 8th level and enough money to buy the gun of my choice. None of them really seemed better than what you start with. I picked up some suppressed rifle ammo for lack of anything better to buy.
I'm really confused about the challenges. I've made it through the first two maps on hard, but the only time I see references to the challenges are at the end of the level, and even then they don't say what they are. I can't figure out how to find out what I'm supposed to do!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote:I'm really confused about the challenges. I've made it through the first two maps on hard, but the only time I see references to the challenges are at the end of the level, and even then they don't say what they are. I can't figure out how to find out what I'm supposed to do!
When you do "select mission" rather than "continue campaign" you can see them and hover over them for details.When you play from select mission you can even select one to have tracked on screen. I'm guessing you can't complete the challenges in the campaign.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote:
gbasden wrote:I'm really confused about the challenges. I've made it through the first two maps on hard, but the only time I see references to the challenges are at the end of the level, and even then they don't say what they are. I can't figure out how to find out what I'm supposed to do!
When you do "select mission" rather than "continue campaign" you can see them and hover over them for details.When you play from select mission you can even select one to have tracked on screen. I'm guessing you can't complete the challenges in the campaign.
Interesting. You can seem to get progress towards them, as I've seen I have a non-zero number in the score screen. I wonder why they don't conceal them if they aren't going to expose the objectives in the campaign?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Still working on the first mission.

One observation I'd like confirmation on: The game appears to have all enemies pre-placed, which for me is a very good thing. What I mean by that is that they do not spawn based on triggers you activate. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just imagining this based on wishful thinking? I just tested this out on the second floor of a house, where at first I thought there was spawning happening, because every time I went out onto a balcony, an enemy would appear at the top of the stairs behind me and kill me. "Aha!" I thought. "I've caught you spawning!" So, next time it loaded, instead of going out onto the balcony, I just waited by the stairs, and sure enough, here comes the guy up the stairs anyway. In other words, there was no trigger; he was merely on patrol.

To me, having a pre-determined number of enemies going about their business adds greatly to the realism of the world. I always feel like a game is cheating by using spawns and triggers. I like having a finite number of enemies, just like in real life!
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Also, for me, turning on the DX12 option has greatly increased my framerate, like maybe 15 fps. It was off by default, and the game felt slightly juddery in places. Like mild hitching. At that time, I was getting around 40 to 50 fps (purely an estimate based on Steam's fps meter in the corner). Turning on D3D12 in the options, and touching nothing else, completely smoothed everything out, and now I'm getting a steady 60 fps.

For the record, I'm using Win10, an i7 6700, 16 GB ram, and a 1070FE, with most options set to Ultra at 2560 x 1440.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Giles Habibula wrote:To me, having a pre-determined number of enemies going about their business adds greatly to the realism of the world. I always feel like a game is cheating by using spawns and triggers. I like having a finite number of enemies, just like in real life!
Playing on Hard difficulty I did get the sense that there were, if not constantly spawning enemies, then certainly some that spawned in response to the enemy being alerted and me being in a certain location. It wasn't unfair, more like they sent a squad of reinforcements out to investigate things. Once I had dealt with the one or two squads things got quiet again.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

After playing through the first two missions, here are my thoughts:

I like the graphics, the game looks good and runs really well for me, I'm playing with everything set on "Ultra" on 2560x1440 on a GeForce 1060 and I'm getting around 40+ FPS on average, no slow downs. The graphics are more "Hollywood" than realistic with all the usual visual effects we know from games.

The new environment is nice but especially the first level feels somewhat "unrealistic", meaning it feels like someone created a beautiful video game playground for a sandbox game. What I mean is that this level has all these beautiful ravines, beaches, winding pathways where convenient small groups of enemy soldiers are camping out, waiting to get killed. Not a huge problem but this (like many other things) make it clear that this is definitely not a simulation but a slow shooter (great if you want that.)

The AI is (still) questionable, you can (still) empty out an enemy stronghold shot-by-shot and everyone who is running around and hiding after you shot the comrade next to them calms down after a few minutes and resumes its regular patterns. Not sure how to fix this, though, for a game like this. In reality, a garrison force would hunker down and send intensive patrols to find the sniper (which is why most of them would get off one or two shots and then leave.) Again, that's what this game is, only a real problem if you are looking for a realistic military simulation.

Achievements: are you kidding me? I can only upgrade my nicely scoped sniper rifle further after I make a pretty considerable number of shoulder shots? This and the whole "complete all secondary tasks of finding dozens of pointless letters and thingies" leads to an even more unrealistic gameplay. I'm completely cleaning out the whole level (and in the course of doing so also fulfill my mission) and in the end, I'm standing completely alone in these deserted and beautiful landscapes. Well, it's a game, I guess

What I REALLY don't like:

Seeing all enemies on your minimap is a huge problem (unless you can manage not to look) - it takes any tension out of going in close range, I can run through parts of the map because there is nothing to fear. This should be an option.
If I remember correctly, you could only tag a relatively small number of enemies in SE3, which I liked. In SE4 I have dozens of tags active all the way, even people I only saw hundreds of years away in the beginning and I always have perfect knowledge of their whereabouts. Yes, I could not use this but I think it was better in SE3 (I also liked the tags in SE3 better, which I remember being more subtle.
The UI has some real issues, for example, you search a soldier and find a letter - you can read them with pressing the return key but that aborts the search process. If you finish the search, you can't read the letter anymore (or at least I have not found a way to do so.)
I had a few instances of perfect eyesight of the enemy, in the DLC mission an enemy sniper was able to spot me from very far away in a fracture of a second when I was prone on the grass. Fortunately, these seem to be single instances.
The (active) characters are extremely cardboard out of a comic book.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

ChuckB wrote:What I REALLY don't like:

Seeing all enemies on your minimap is a huge problem (unless you can manage not to look) - it takes any tension out of going in close range, I can run through parts of the map because there is nothing to fear. This should be an option.
It is, actually. If you go to custom difficulty and then use the tabs that I missed at first, you can set the HUD to Sniper Elite difficulty and they go away . . . because the minimap goes away.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fretmute wrote:
ChuckB wrote:What I REALLY don't like:

It is, actually. If you go to custom difficulty and then use the tabs that I missed at first, you can set the HUD to Sniper Elite difficulty and they go away . . . because the minimap goes away.
...and I think I saw it noted that custom difficulty will give you achievements as if you were at Marksman difficulty, so you won't get any of the high difficulty achievements, but you'd still get the common ones.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote:
Fretmute wrote: It is, actually. If you go to custom difficulty and then use the tabs that I missed at first, you can set the HUD to Sniper Elite difficulty and they go away . . . because the minimap goes away.
...and I think I saw it noted that custom difficulty will give you achievements as if you were at Marksman difficulty, so you won't get any of the high difficulty achievements, but you'd still get the common ones.
Well, the issue is that you get achievements for the easiest difficulty you have set, I believe. At first I didn't see the other tabs, and they defaulted to something simple. I bumped everything up to at least hard and the UI to sniper elite, and now I get hard achievements.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Finished it up Saturday and did a little achievement whoring. Holy crap is mastering weapons a pain. Now 4 of my 6 rarest achievements on my steam profile are Sniper Elite 4 achievements. They used to be mostly XCOM2 achievements.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: Sniper Elite 4 DLC Next Week
New campaign mission and FREE multiplayer add-ons incoming!

The first chapter in DEATHSTORM, a BRAND NEW mini-campaign for SNIPER ELITE®4, launches March 21st, 2017 on PC. It headlines a glut of new content coming to the game on Tuesday, including FREE multiplayer add-ons!

DEATHSTORM PART 1: INCEPTION is the opening chapter and mission in the three-part campaign, playable from start to finish for 1-2 players. Set after the events of the main game, the first chapter takes players to the colder terrain of northern Italy, and a Nazi naval base recently targeted in a bombing run.

With imposing scaffolding, a German destroyer and myriad Kriegsmarine soldiers to negotiate, Karl Fairburne must help finish what the bombing run started. But his primary mission concerns the secret Manhattan Project: To retrieve a critical, mysterious package codenamed Deathstorm...

The new SNIPER ELITE®4 content doesn't end there; The NIGHT FIGHTER EXPANSION PACK also arrives on March 21st, It includes three new weapons, night-time camo rifle skins for eight weapons and new male and female characters skins.

Multiplayer fans, meanwhile, can look forward to ELIMINATION, a brand new mode that also drops on March 21st, and it's FREE.

This two-team mode for up to 12 players is all about trying to whittle down your opponent's numbers. If you kill an enemy player, they're forced to sit out on the sidelines. But if their team kills one of your teammates, they tag back in one of their sidelined comrades. In Elimination, all is not lost, even when you're 1 v 6.

SNIPER ELITE®4 players are getting their first FREE multiplayer map on March 21st too, called NIGHT WOODS. As previously pledged by Rebellion, ALL additional multiplayer maps and modes for the game will be FREE.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Ain't nobody got time for that
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been playing this over the past few days. I finished the first three missions, but hit a really nasty bug at the end of the third. Generators stopped working. They still pop and bang, but they don't mask noise anymore. I ended up having to finish the third mission run-and-gun style. I went and did some research. Not only is this a known bug, but it is a well-known bug that has been around since the first release, with nothing the developer but "we're looking into this" last May. It is common enough that the last months worth of technical support threads includes two just on this, one of them going on multiple pages. Given that last patch was in July, I don't have a lot of confidence this will be fixed.

The word seems to be that if it affects you, it will continue to do so and will get worse and worse as the game goes on. This isn't a small bug, either. It's like playing Thief and having shadows stop working.

On the very next map, I charged ahead to the first generator I could find and it seems to be working, but if the reports are correct and this is going to keep happening more and more, my enthusiasm for continuing has dropped considerably. I don't want to invest a bunch more time in a game that is going to end up unplayable.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Well, you are VERY early in. You could just uninstall, erase your saves, and then re-install and replay. I played the entire campaign and never got this bug. Full Disclosure - I got more and more stealthy as the game progressed and didn't really use the generator sound masking all that much; they aren't all that conveniently placed. Its only one of the available masking and stealth options. I was more into silent knife kills, setting traps/mines, dropping environmental hazards and using silencers. Also note that the longer distance you kill them from, the less likely they will be to find you. If they start to triangulate - then move and hide. Note - after the third missions, you start to get some nighttime stuff where darkness and taking out lights is also important. Anyway, the game is definitely a ton of fun and worth the play.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Good to hear. I recently finished the first mission. I shot the generator for the hell of it, but didn't actually use it to mask future kills.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This feels like a very different game than Sniper 3. I mean, fundamentally it's the same, it's just that the first mission feels bigger than any of the maps in #3; it's ridiculous the number of different ways you can move around and get things done. I've been playing almost 2 hours and I have barely covered 1/4 of the first map!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished the sixth. Luckily the generator issue hasn't returned. Unfortunately, there is also a sound issue, again well-known and heavily reported by users. It seems that 5.1 surround doesn't work right. Stereo works fine, and 7.1 works fine, but it seems like they address 5.1 by simply outputting the 7.1 and ignoring the missing channels. This means that you can't hear anything behind you. I had a tank sneak up on me earlier.

I'm enjoying it, although I probably liked 3 better. I just find the maps to be a little too big. I'm ready to move on to the next change of flavor before I'm anywhere close to done with the map. I'd prefer twelve smaller maps to eight huge ones. I did mange to pull off a triple kill earlier. One bullet, three Nazis.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I couldn't pass up 70% off the deluxe edition.

In.

Installing......
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I finished it. Not bad, although my memories of 3 are a little better than those of 4. The tech issues aside, the biggest annoyance was the level design. A few too many were huge, convoluted mazes where I had to wander back and forth trying to figure out how to get to an objective on one particular level.

Still, a decent game.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm I finished it. Not bad, although my memories of 3 are a little better than those of 4. The tech issues aside, the biggest annoyance was the level design. A few too many were huge, convoluted mazes where I had to wander back and forth trying to figure out how to get to an objective on one particular level.

Still, a decent game.
I guess that explains the size to some degree. Weighs in at almost 50GB, over twice the size of Sniper Elite 3.