System Shock Remastered

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

System Shock Remastered

Post by Grifman »

A look at the new trailer, and it's awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns

Note: Saw a thread for the new SS3 but nothing for this though I do remember some discussions somewhere, but here it is.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
MonkeyFinger

Re: System Shock Remastered

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sweet!
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Depending on implementation, I could be interested. I never played the original, but SSII certainly sits high on my list of awesome games.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

System Shock 2 is a top 5 game for me. If they do the game justice, this will be a day one purchase.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't look todays top line but for what it is it looks damn amazing. I can remember when I played it new that sometimes I wasn't sure what I was looking at or trying to use or pick up lol. That one is very good 3D now. Nice lighting too. Ive never ever replayed the first SS because its all time tied as my favorite game ever and Ive always been afraid replaying it would ruin that for me somehow. This may get me to replay it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't expect a modern game. I would play it if it was modernized enough that any gui or movement controls aren't arduous. I haven't had a chance to follow the link yet.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if their song is different from my song.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:I wonder if their song is different from my song.
I've been assuming this thread is about the original being remastered. Is it not?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

No, it's a remake, using the story, but no assets from the original.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:No, it's a remake, using the story, but no assets from the original.
Ok, well the thread has remastered in the title, so I can be forgiven, I think. In any case, it's still the first one and not number 2. Since the song is from the biodoohickey from 2, I also assume there is no song in the first one.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

GreenGoo wrote:
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:No, it's a remake, using the story, but no assets from the original.
Ok, well the thread has remastered in the title, so I can be forgiven, I think. In any case, it's still the first one and not number 2. Since the song is from the biodoohickey from 2, I also assume there is no song in the first one.
It is confusing, because there was a true remastered version of SS1 released last year. As for 1 vs 2, there is a barbershop quartet in 1.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:As for 1 vs 2, there is a barbershop quartet in 1.
:D

I assume their song is not our song?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

GreenGoo wrote:
Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:As for 1 vs 2, there is a barbershop quartet in 1.
:D

I assume their song is not our song?
Their song is everyone's song. Especially Chet's tenor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Er, nevermind.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Update today, KS next week:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/24/120076 ... reens-demo

I'm in!
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Looks like they're at least offering up more than simple pie in the sky concepts. Obviously, things can change and/or go wrong, but to have a demo available for fans to peruse instills me with some confidence.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Grifman wrote:Update today, KS next week:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/24/120076 ... reens-demo

I'm in!
Well, I know what I will be downloading Tuesday. If the demo looks good I will happily throw money at this. I'm just curious what/if they have in place for a collaboration with the System Shock 3 team.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm glad someone told them that "remastered" doesn't mean what they think it means. :D Looks like they removed that word from the original trailer/marketing, and now it's just "System Shock" (which could be confusing in a whole new way).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, they could maybe had called it System Shock Redux to prevent confusion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 2 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 2 GB available space
16 GB Ram recommended...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Rumpy wrote:Yeah, they could maybe had called it System Shock Redux to prevent confusion.
I think it's the right choice to just call it System Shock. It opens up the market to players who may have no idea what the original System Shock was.

It also frees the developers creatively to both honor the original and take things further. With "remastered" in the title, that implied (to some) that the new game would be virtually identical to the original -- only with better graphics. That could create a double PR problem -- certain fans of the old would quibble over any changes, while newcomers might be turned off thinking the creators just put a new coat of paint on a dated old game.

Plus, let's face it. The original game is 22 years-old. And it was more of a cult hit than a blockbuster. System Shock's reputation as a hugely influential game has grown tremendously since then. But certainly a sizable chunk of mainstream game players today haven't heard of it -- or at least were too young to play it when it was new (or... they weren't even born yet).

So why not be ambitious... just call the new game System Shock. Start fresh. With a new generation of players.

I think of this like a movie remake. If a movie studio today were to remake, say, the original The Crow (a cult hit that, like the original System Shock, was also released in 1994), I wouldn't expect them to call the remake The Crow Remade. That would be silly. Many modern moviegoers have never heard of the original. And... those moviegoers who are still fans of the original are the ones most likely to show up to see the new one on opening night anyway!
Last edited by AjD on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Pyperkub wrote:
16 GB Ram recommended...
Every gaming machine I've built for at least the last five years has had that much RAM. RAM is cheap these days.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Kickstarter has $238k right now, hope they reach $1.4MM so that they can add in an RPG skill system and weapon mods.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Demo is promising. Performance is a bit crap and there are definitely some unfinished bits but as a pre-alpha proof of concept, they nailed it. Hearing Shodans voice again made the memories flood back.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Slightly off topic, has anyone tried System Shock: Enhanced? It is on sale right now for not very many monies (which is, coincidentally, something I have!)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:Slightly off topic, has anyone tried System Shock: Enhanced? It is on sale right now for not very many monies (which is, coincidentally, something I have!)
Also interested in the answer to this question.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gbasden wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
16 GB Ram recommended...
Every gaming machine I've built for at least the last five years has had that much RAM. RAM is cheap these days.
Me too, but they may want a broader audience than the system builder crowd... and they killed any chance at a console port.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Pyperkub wrote:
gbasden wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
16 GB Ram recommended...
Me too, but they may want a broader audience than the system builder crowd... and they killed any chance at a console port.
If they are trying to make a faithful System Shock game there is no chance of a console port. :)
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

GreenGoo wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Slightly off topic, has anyone tried System Shock: Enhanced? It is on sale right now for not very many monies (which is, coincidentally, something I have!)
Also interested in the answer to this question.
Well, if you can handle the graphics it's just like it was Back In The Day with the following enhancements as noted in the readme:

System Shock: Enhanced Edition features:

- Higher resolution support. The original game went up to a maximum of 640x480 whereas this version goes up to 1024x768, there is also a 854x480 widescreen mode.

- Mouselook support is added to the game, all the user has to do is press E to lock the mouse cursor in place and look around freely. Intelligent code inside the port will detect when you pick something up and will disable mouselook so the player can quickly move the item to their inventory.

- Remappable keys, done by editing the controls.cfg file in the game folder. There are 3 "profiles" of controls; Original controls, Custom conrtols (default) and Lefthanded controls.

- Some original game bugs fixed, one notable one being an error of naming of Tiger Cyborgs in the groves, their names were corrupted slightly, causing text overlapping in the targetting software's overlay. This got fixed as well as some small issues relating to keyboard scaling of brightness and onscreen messages.
-mf
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

AjD wrote:
Rumpy wrote:Yeah, they could maybe had called it System Shock Redux to prevent confusion.
I think it's the right choice to just call it System Shock. It opens up the market to players who may have no idea what the original System Shock was.

I'm going to have to disagree on that, on what you said as a whole. With this game, we'll essentially have 3 different versions of the original game. If this new game is named the same as the original, then it makes it more difficult to search things out about it. The original being out the longest with that same name will have a lot more info on it, therefore the default search result. Compound that with the fact that sites don't often tend to distinguish between new and old. I've played remakes before and searching for hints on them would bring up the original, which was frustrating. Naming it the same as the original simply doesn't do it any justice and only invites problems. At least call it an Anniversary Edition or something.

And calling it the same goes both ways too. Those who aren't aware of it being a remake could get the original by mistake.

Movie remakes, well that's a whole other thing. Movies have a specific advantage in that they can have a clearly defined look and feel about them depending on the period they're developed in, down to costumes, actors, directorial styles, etc. The look of a remake can clearly signal that it's a remake of a previous property without yelling it out, though sometimes marketing will do so anyway. For example, you can tell the recent Robocop is a remake of the original 80's movie just by looking at it, both looks being distinctive enough. And in a lot of cases, movie remakes tend to try standing their own ground and avoid looking back the other way. Some remakes even change titles completely in context with their settings. For example, did you know Flightplan with Jodie Foster is essentially a remake of Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes?

It is ambitious. But that's also precisely I think why it would help them if they were to change the title a bit to prevent confusion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

If this new game is named the same as the original, then it makes it more difficult to search things out about it.
I can't wait for this fad to die. I fully expect the Wii One and the Playstation One to come out soon, the first with The Legend of Zelda at launch and the second with Metal Gear Solid.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: GOG has a free DEMO of system shock

Play the Demo, then head to Kickstarter and support the re-imagined version of the seminal sci-fi thriller.
A little over two decades ago, a first person action/RPG dared to blend diverse gameplay elements with narrative-driven 3D exploration in a sci-fi horror setting. System Shock soon became a timeless classic, its haunting charm still resonating with thousands of people to this day. Now, Night Dive Studios wants to bring it back as a new, faithfully re-imagined game and you can help them fulfil that promise by supporting their Kickstarter campaign.

System Shock is a complete remake of the genre-defining classic from 1994, rebuilt from the ground up with the Unity Engine and coming day one to GOG.com. The best part? You don't have to believe the enthusiastic rumours circulating around cyberspace, you can try out a Demo of this ambitious effort right now and see for yourself! "We want to demonstrate our commitment and passion for System Shock by providing a fun and exciting experience to potential backers", said Night Dive. "This demo represents the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you, our backers. Please be aware, this is a proof of concept; the performance, features, and visuals are subject to change."

Grab the Demo and enter the derelict halls of Citadel Station crawling with the horrors unleashed by SHODAN, the maniacal A.I. with her own plans for the future of humanity. If this is a future you want to live in, make sure to head over to the System Shock Kickstarter page and help make it a reality.

Don't even try to resist her, SHE IS IN CONTROL.
Ain't nobody got time for that
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Backed.
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, too bad. That smells dead to me.

I mean, they may end up putting something out, but my bets are that it will be awful to middling at best.