Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

[Obsidian] Tyranny

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39559
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

[Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:43 pm

Are we in a second golden age of isometric RPGs? Just saw this posted on Kotaku. Here is the official site and teaser trailer.
Details are scarce, but Obsidian says the game is set in a world where there was a grand struggle between good and evil—until evil won. “A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 8638
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Jaymann » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Looks sweet. I'm in unless bad review happens.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
Paingod
Posts: 10371
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 am

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Paingod » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 am

Indeed. Some of the better games I've played were set in times and places where evil was winning. Makes for some richer and less explored opportunities, I think.
More than ever, now is the time to stand by the causes you believe in; donate and support to keep America great.
Reproductive Rights, Environmental Defense, Civil Liberties, LGBTQ Awareness, Immigration Rights
Currently playing: GTV V, Everspace

Jeff V
Posts: 31356
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Nowhere you want to be.

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Jeff V » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:11 am

Smoove_B wrote:“A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Sounds like a sequel to The Political Machine wherein Trump is victorious.

User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 4402
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by NickAragua » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:25 am

Jeff V wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:“A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Sounds like a sequel to The Political Machine wherein Trump is victorious.
Nah, that one's called Fallout.

User avatar
Lordnine
Posts: 5661
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Burlington, VT

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Lordnine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:59 am

I love me some Obsidian games. Concept sounds pretty cool, I wonder if the game will stick with the Justice versus oppressor theme or if it will let you be an actual "good guy".

User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 4402
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by NickAragua » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:20 pm

Hmm, do I push this old lady down the stairs using my hands, a magical spell or my sword?

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39559
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:26 pm

I was poking around on the site looking for more information, but other than a slightly interactive map there's nothing there. I was also surprised to see it's coming in 2016, which I guess means Q4 as I'd expect there to be a whole bunch more information if it was sooner. I really want to be interested, I just don't know if I can get into these isometric games anymore - particularly if it will be party-based.

User avatar
Buatha
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:16 am
Location: Missouri City, TX

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Buatha » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:46 pm

NickAragua wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:“A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Sounds like a sequel to The Political Machine wherein Trump is victorious.
Nah, that one's called Fallout.
Well-played, sir.
"Some people say never...I just say no"

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39559
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Smoove_B » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:10 pm

Update on Kotaku. I found this to possibly be the most interesting:
You don’t have to pick a character class. Progression is classless, which means that your character can learn and get better at any ability by performing it a bunch—and not that it’s an inconsiderate, pompous individual with no respect for the enchanting sport of badminton. Tyranny is kinda like The Elder Scrolls series, in that respect. This extends to persuasion options in conversation as well. Basically, Obsidian wants you to be able to play your way without having to fret that you might have made a “wrong” decision. It doesn’t hurt that “right” decisions include rogue-wizards and wise-cracking barbarians, either.

morlac
Posts: 3414
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:25 pm
Location: Just outside the ATL

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by morlac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 am

Smoove_B wrote:Update on Kotaku. I found this to possibly be the most interesting:
You don’t have to pick a character class. Progression is classless, which means that your character can learn and get better at any ability by performing it a bunch—and not that it’s an inconsiderate, pompous individual with no respect for the enchanting sport of badminton. Tyranny is kinda like The Elder Scrolls series, in that respect. This extends to persuasion options in conversation as well. Basically, Obsidian wants you to be able to play your way without having to fret that you might have made a “wrong” decision. It doesn’t hurt that “right” decisions include rogue-wizards and wise-cracking barbarians, either.
Other tidbits I have gathered In case not In the link above:

Skills improve only through use (this is a big one, not sure I like)
decisions made at very beginning of the game effect everything there after. quest, locations, etc.
real time pausable (no shocker)
Certain abilities only unlocked by your reputation
combat combos with companions, unlocked over time
Using POE engine

User avatar
NickAragua
Posts: 4402
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by NickAragua » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 am

morlac wrote:Using POE engine
Hellooooooo five hour loading times!

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 pm

E3 trailer -- From the Ashes
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:48 pm

"Creating a World", Dev Diary 1
This is the first in a three-part video series about Tyranny, the upcoming role-playing game (RPG) for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs. This video allow fans a rare look behind the scenes at Obsidian, featuring interviews and insights from the design team behind Tyranny as the developers share what it means to play in a realm where evil has conquered the known world, with looks at the level of effort and writing that have gone into creating such a reactive game. In this first of three installments, gamers everywhere will meet the lead designers of Tyranny and learn how the game’s concept came to be – and get a sneak peek at what is to come as they experience the game for themselves.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:18 am

Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 am

November 10.

<insert "Two days after Evil's victory..." joke here>
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30678
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by tgb » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:28 am

Max Peck wrote:November 10.

<insert "Two days after Evil's victory..." joke here>
My first thought. I was going to post that the game might become redundant very quickly.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13250
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Skinypupy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:40 am

Looks neat.

However, since a) it's coming out so close to Final Fantasy XV and b) it's an Obsidian game, I'll be waiting a few months before giving it a shot.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
MonkeyFinger
Posts: 3019
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: South of Denver, CO

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by MonkeyFinger » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

While a) isn't an issue for me, b) certainly is. LOL
-mf

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Dev Diary 3 video - Gameplay and Mechanics
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

malchior
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by malchior » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:30 pm

After PoE this is a no brainer for me. However dropping Tyranny at the same time as Dishonored 2 is unfortunate for my wallet.

User avatar
Fitzy
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Fitzy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:14 pm

I grabbed it. I'm 0 for 2 in buying full priced games since my vow to stop buying full priced games. If this one bombs I'm hoping that will drive the lesson home.

I do love Obsidian games though, so I shouldn't be worried, but the lack of much talk anywhere has me wondering. Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it? Or is it just not that interesting to people?

User avatar
TiLT
Posts: 4435
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:01 am
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Contact:

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by TiLT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:17 am

Fitzy wrote:Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it?
I think this might be the main reason I'm confused about this game. It feels like it should have been a crowdfunded game, but because it's not I'm not really sure where it's coming from without doing research into it. A crowdfunding campaign would have given me a better understanding of what this game is for Obsidian, whereas now it feels like this might be a publisher-backed RPG instead, which could be both good and bad.
Insert witty comment here.

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30678
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by tgb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:00 am

I haven't been following it, so this may be a really stupid question, but does it use the PoE engine?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13250
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Skinypupy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:56 am

tgb wrote:I haven't been following it, so this may be a really stupid question, but does it use the PoE engine?
Looks like it. From the game's Wiki:
Tyranny uses a modified version of the Unity engine used as the basis of Pillars of Eternity.[1] Heins said that since most of the technical issues of graphics and rendering were also solved with Pillars, they were free to flesh out "a different type of RPG"
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
baelthazar
Posts: 3551
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Ohio

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by baelthazar » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:44 am

Skinypupy wrote: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
So... by the time of next year's summer Steam sales? :wink:

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:08 pm

TiLT wrote:
Fitzy wrote:Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it?
I think this might be the main reason I'm confused about this game. It feels like it should have been a crowdfunded game, but because it's not I'm not really sure where it's coming from without doing research into it. A crowdfunding campaign would have given me a better understanding of what this game is for Obsidian, whereas now it feels like this might be a publisher-backed RPG instead, which could be both good and bad.
The publisher is Paradox, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they haven't meddled to the detriment of the game. And if nothing else, the low-key promotion means that nobody can say that the game has been overhyped. :)
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Fitzy
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Fitzy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:51 pm

I think my worry is partially about how good it will be, but also what happens if it's really good, but no one buys it? If it's a good game, I want Obsidian to be able to continue to make this type of game.

I did my part I guess. Hopefully Obsidian did theirs and it's a good game.

User avatar
Daehawk
Posts: 43175
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:11 am
daehawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Daehawk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 pm

I haven't kept up on devs in ages.....is Obsidian some kinda low rent dev now? They were a big dev once. Why would this need a kick starter? Honestly the look and sound made me think its a Bioware game...or a new story in the Baldur's Gate world almost. Even seems like they have some of the old voice cast....or very close to it. I swear i hear Serevok.

I look forward to this. I want to try staying evil. Then again Ive owned Pillars forever and not played it but 30 min.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13250
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Skinypupy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:27 pm

baelthazar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
So... by the time of next year's summer Steam sales? :wink:
The game is actually complete and comes out the 29th. When I actually finish it (it's pretty massive, by all accounts) is another story.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
baelthazar
Posts: 3551
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Ohio

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by baelthazar » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
baelthazar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
So... by the time of next year's summer Steam sales? :wink:
The game is actually complete and comes out the 29th. When I actually finish it (it's pretty massive, by all accounts) is another story.
Yeah, that is what I meant! I am sure it will take me months to complete the game (most FF games have over 200+ hours if you try to do and see it all).2

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:46 pm

The pre-load is up on Steam, weighing in at a paltry 4.8G.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:09 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:01 am

It's preloading ~12.8G for me.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:45 am

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:It's preloading ~12.8G for me.
I double-checked and my download was just 4.8G. 12.8G sounds more like the amount of space it will require on the HDD after decrypting/decompression.
Enlarge Image
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30678
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by tgb » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:46 am

I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7608
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Max Peck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:41 am

tgb wrote:I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
If that's case, if you focus on the game for 12 hours per day, it will keep you distracted until the end of the second term of the God-Emperor's reign. :coffee:
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
tgb
Posts: 30678
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by tgb » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:37 am

Max Peck wrote:
tgb wrote:I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
If that's case, if you focus on the game for 12 hours per day, it will keep you distracted until the end of the second term of the God-Emperor's reign. :coffee:
Spoiler:
I actually based the number on a single four year term. God help us if it's eight.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.

User avatar
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 21718
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Surrounded by Mountains

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Zaxxon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:11 am

If only this came out today... How appropriate would that be?

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on picking this up. I loved (loved) PoE--still using it as my avatar, even. But I never made time to go back and play the expansion. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this one, and would like to support Obsidian.

Dilemmas.

User avatar
RMC
Posts: 6373
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Contact:

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by RMC » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:19 pm

Zaxxon wrote:If only this came out today... How appropriate would that be?

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on picking this up. I loved (loved) PoE--still using it as my avatar, even. But I never made time to go back and play the expansion. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this one, and would like to support Obsidian.

Dilemmas.
I bought it because I am a sucker for RPG's and I have liked almost all of Obsidians stuff. Preloaded it last night.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat

malchior
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by malchior » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Same here preload is complete. Subject matter feels oddly appropriate now.

Post Reply