Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by Kasey Chang »

A couple days ago I bought the "premium" Google Cardboard viewer (which was made by a different company, of plastic, and it's not too bad. Some of the 360 videos are totally superfluous, and some of the other stuff just doesn't work (Google Stories refused to play while in the viewer). And most "games" are pretty lame or require a BT controller.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rip

Post by Rip »

I am minutes away from pulling the trigger on a Rift.........
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:I am minutes away from pulling the trigger on a Rift.........
You did see the article where they are working on a wireless version for 2018, right ?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Pyperkub wrote:
You did see the article where they are working on a wireless version for 2018, right ?
That one is a self contained unit designed to compete with Samsung Gear VR & Google Daydream.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote:
I'm getting old enough I don't assume to be alive to buy stuff next year.

I require immediate gratification these days.
Rip

Post by Rip »

http://mailchi.mp/r-control/das_boot_en
“Das Boot”, cornerstone of the history of German film, is headed for Virtual Reality and beyond. Released in 1981, the epic anti-war story revolving around the crew of a German U-boat during World War II is to this day one of the most successful German films globally. The movie will be continued through an international TV series, co-produced by Sky, Sonar Entertainment, and Bavaria Fernsehproduktion, and is scheduled for a release in late 2018.

Parallel to the production of the new series, remote control productions is going to develop a Virtual Reality game based on “Das Boot”. The close cooperation with Bavaria Fernsehproduktion guarantees a game experience that will capture the essence of the popular movie and the upcoming TV series, allowing players to fully submerge themselves into the oppressive narrowness deep under water, and experience the story of a German U-boat crew in action like never before.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Got my Rift today but havn't received the touch controllers. Was some pain on setup. The sensor took awhile to get connected and setup. I did a restart and it came in line. My Rift still came with the Xbox controller and remote.

I picked up Apollo VR, Battlezone (50% off this week at $20), and Lunar Flight. I will get Star Trek Bridge Crew when the touch controllers arrive. Had fun with it so far. No nausea. I liked my quick dabble with Battlezone and Apollo VR. Battlezone reminds me of an old Sierra title - Stellar 7. Looking forward to getting some time in.

Note on Apollo VR - right click on the game in your Steam Library and there is a choice to run with the Rift mode. It resolved a problem for me.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Vive price dropped to $600.

:csmile:
Rip

Post by Rip »

Bought this program called Vorpx that provides a VR diver that works with some old titles like Fallout 4 which I just finished playing some in VR.

Man it is fun. Last night I played SIlent Hunter 4 in VR and Mafia 2.

List of supported games.

Note some games work better than others and some require a lot of tweaking. Silent Hunter isn't even on the list but with a little tweaking I got it working fairly well.

Hoping to get in a little L4D2 in VR tonight, that should be scary.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So has anyone else grabbed Star Trek: Bridge Crew?

It is 50% off so I grabbed it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I picked it up on launch and have played a few games.. Currently recovering from shoulder surgery so haven't played in a while.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Rip

Post by Rip »

Played a handful of missions, tons of fun.

I am Rip4life on Uplay for anyone wanting to drop a friend request.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

sent friend request. not sure when I'll play again. might try tonight if things aren't too bad.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Montag

Post by Montag »

I have Star Trek Bridge Crew, but haven't played it yet. Working on flooring and it will take awhile. Hope you guys still have interest at the end of the month.
words
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Montag wrote:I have Star Trek Bridge Crew, but haven't played it yet. Working on flooring and it will take awhile. Hope you guys still have interest at the end of the month.
Make a big fuss when you're ready to try it so we can rally the troops. I bought it when it went on sale but I still haven't gotten a chance to give it a whirl.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I've played it a good bit but I am still in.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I've played Bridge Crew enough to be dangerous! Well, to my own crew, anyway. In.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm in!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I got S8 with gear vr. Any good game to play with it. So far I only use this for watching 3D or VR videos and watching netflix while lying down using the void theatre feature of the netflix client.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Victoria Raverna wrote:I got S8 with gear vr. Any good game to play with it. So far I only use this for watching 3D or VR videos and watching netflix while lying down using the void theatre feature of the netflix client.
I can't vouch for how these play on Gear VR, but here are some Gear VR games I've enjoyed on the Rift:
  • Try Hitman Go if the style of gameplay is your cup of tea
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is awesome, but you need at least one person outside of VR playing with you. The person in VR is defusing a bomb, describing what they see to their non-VR friends who're trying to look things up in a bomb defusion instruction manual
  • Colosse - just a video short but neat to see
  • Ocean Rift - go scuba diving
  • Eve Gunjack - haven't actually played this one but I think it's a fun and simple space shooter arcade game
  • Ascension VR - deck building card game you may also have seen in mobile phone form or in physical form
  • Please Don't Touch Anything
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The Vive Pro was just announced.

• higher resolution (1400x1600 per eye, up from 1080x1200 per eye in the current Vive) - small text is apparently much more readable
  • optional add-on thing to make it wireless
  • integrated headphones
  • has upgraded Lighthouses, but compatible with original Lighthouses
  • helps you look more like Johnny 5 while wearing
  • Available Q1 as an upgrade (no Lighthouses or controllers), complete version 'later'. Wireless doohickey Summer 2018
Seems like it improves on Rift/Vive in just about every way except field-of-view. I'm very very tempted by it, but I tend to agree with a comment I saw that it's mostly going to appeal to the same exact "premium price early adopter" demographic that already bought a Rift or a Vive. VR needs a bigger population so it'll be more profitable to develop for, and unless this comes in at a shockingly low price it's just going to be an upgrade for the existing market.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am The Vive Pro was just announced.
I looked at the site but couldn't find the computer specs needed. Shall I still assume that my Nvidia GTX 780 isn't going to cut it?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:36 pm
wonderpug wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am The Vive Pro was just announced.
I looked at the site but couldn't find the computer specs needed. Shall I still assume that my Nvidia GTX 780 isn't going to cut it?
I don't think they've posted requirements yet, but yeah, this headset will surely have higher requirements, not lower.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Rip wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:57 pm Bought this program called Vorpx that provides a VR diver that works with some old titles like Fallout 4 which I just finished playing some in VR.

Note some games work better than others and some require a lot of tweaking. Silent Hunter isn't even on the list but with a little tweaking I got it working fairly well.
I never could get the games to look right no matter how much tweaking I did. Whatever settings I'd choose, my eyes were hurting.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i still don't understand ... why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm i still don't understand ... why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality
You know, I had an excellent home made burrito this evening.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm i still don't understand ... why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality
Because it is still a gimmick that needs to keep cooking. Higher res is good, but it will probably be beyond my PC now. I have both the rift and PSVR on my christmas list.. instead I got a Ring Spolight Cam. Yeah, almost as cool.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Picked up a cheap PSVR for the kids and me. Would have preferred PC, but it was on sale with GT Sport VR so I picked it up for $180. Grabbed a bunch of cheap playstation VR titles on sale too. It is very cool.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My wife shocked me on father's day by gifting me with an Oculus GO. Completely out of the blue. It's not like I wander around the house pining over VR goggles or wondering if we can afford it. We've never even really discussed it, except for me to mention that given how she doesn't like the way PC games isolate me from the family, I didn't think a VR headset would be compatible with our home.

I had brief thoughts of playing Subnautica or Skyrim in VR - very brief. It turns out the Oculus GO is a head-mounted console, like a wearable Wii. It has no worthwhile means to connect to a PC, short of using a 3rd party app to force your monitor output to display in a VR movie theater setting.

Thankfully, the unit isn't hugely expensive and there's a lot of free content I haven't even finished poking around in. It's a pretty neat toy, and maybe a good 'introductory' step into VR. I'm a huge PC gamer and generally shun consoles, but this is an interesting development.

I've been VR fishing, roller-coasting, in a short Jurassic Park clip, shooting, and exploring. I've also watched a short clip in Netflix, in a huge home theater - which makes the movie look bigger; maybe a nice touch for "blockbuster" movies that look better on big screens.

Controls are limited to one little hand-trigger swipe tool. Head tracking is smooth. The resolution is better than the RIFT but at a lower framerate (30 FPS). Battery life is supposed to be 2-3 hours, but I haven't worn it long enough in one sitting to find out. She got me the 64GB model, and there's a less expensive 32GB one as well. The Jurassic Park clips - 10 minutes of VR video - is 3.2GB
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Does it let you watch the White House tour with the Obamas? I thought that was pretty cool as far as something you just watch in VR.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is VR still twitching? I thought it would be gone again by now. Maybe in another year. Someday it will have its day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I dunno. I'll have to look. I did explore Great White sharks, the Golden Gate bridge, and some other things. It's all quite new to me and I'll be hunting around for the highest-rated things to try.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Post by Rip »

It is called The People's House. Very cool IMHO.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am Is VR still twitching? I thought it would be gone again by now. Maybe in another year. Someday it will have its day.
3D films have to die first.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

I am actually reading and typing on the forum in VR thanks to Oculus Dashboard.

Little hard to learn but it is really cool.

Bonus don't need my glasses.

:dance:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am Is VR still twitching? I thought it would be gone again by now. Maybe in another year. Someday it will have its day.
3D films have to die first.
Ya know I used to be all for them but after seeing 5 in theaters...not Avatar unfortunately.......I now dont pay for 3D. I find them dark with only 1 scene in true 3D per movie. Maybe if they were made in 3D but none of them are.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I try not to pay for it either. Avatar was amazing 3D but I hate hate hated the movie, so I guess I've never gotten my money's worth.
I have but one advocate.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I just got a GTX 1060 6GB video card, so I guess I'm ready to start talking about virtual reality :D

What would be a good entry level headset to start with, to work with my library of Steam games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 and the like?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rift works great with ETS as well as ATS.

$400 right now on Amazon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:02 am Rift works great with ETS as well as ATS.

$400 right now on Amazon.
Dammit Rip.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter